Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I wonder if it had recently had a bad encounter with a larger dog.

Or, you know, brain damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

wtftastic posted:

As I was walking Bailey this morning, I saw someone else's dog have the world's biggest freakout at him.

Bailey and I were walking past this guy walking his two smaller dogs and I kept Bailey close because he had them on flexi leashes. They both start barking, but one of them turns, faces me and Bailey, kind of crouches and sticks it's tail between it's legs and starts shrieking and yelping. I have never seen anything like it. There wasn't anything obviously wrong, but the dog was watching me and Bailey and just yelping.

I left really quickly because it weirded me out.

This reminds me of the guy with his lab puppy walking through the park near our training class. Every time it looked at the dogs he would go TSSSTTT and prod the dog. It had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Way to make your puppy hate other dogs, bro.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

This reminds me of the guy with his lab puppy walking through the park near our training class. Every time it looked at the dogs he would go TSSSTTT and prod the dog. It had no idea what the gently caress was going on. Way to make your puppy hate other dogs, bro.

Someone else near me does the TSSST thing at his little chorkie (or whatever) when it barks at me or Bailey and then it goes OH YOU ARE BARKING TOO LET US COMMENCE THE BARKING LOUDER. The guy is a dumbass because after he TSSTs the dog ALWAYS gets louder.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I am grumpy with my camera right now. I sneaked up on that rabbit and took like a dozen really close, detailed photos of it and the camera ate them. :mad:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Topoisomerase posted:

With disc disease I would actually be sort of concerned about any sort of activity at all.

It's weird, whatever is going on with her. Today she is basically back to normal - full range of motion and extension in the rear when walking and gaiting, jumping on things without a second's hesitation (okay just once when I turned my head for a SECOND stop that dog you are not allowed), no shaking or limping at all. If there is ever a "next time" for this occurring, I'll just go straight to the neurologist. It's very strange.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

Today's my mom's birthday, so we put up decorations and tied a large balloon to her walker.

Sheila is terrified of the balloon, so she's spent the entire day alternating between staring at it in horror and running away, and sitting behind my chair, sulking.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

ButWhatIf posted:

It's weird, whatever is going on with her. Today she is basically back to normal - full range of motion and extension in the rear when walking and gaiting, jumping on things without a second's hesitation (okay just once when I turned my head for a SECOND stop that dog you are not allowed), no shaking or limping at all. If there is ever a "next time" for this occurring, I'll just go straight to the neurologist. It's very strange.

If there's only a small amount of disc material that ruptures into the vertebral canal, it can certainly settle down pretty quickly and once the initial ding of the material hitting the cord stops causing problems, can be noncompressive. It won't go away though, and the most important thing to do to try to prevent future occurrences is to give the damaged part of the intervertebral space where the disc came from time to heal without another impact that could cause the damage to get worse and allow more disc material through. That's why cage rest is typically recommended.

edit: I'm assuming IVDD because that is very, very likely to be the cause in a young Corgi like Neige, particularly if your vet is pretty convinced that it's a neurologic issue and not an orthopedic one.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 6, 2013

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I'm sick as hell and on enforced rest for a few days, not supposed to leave bed but I went out and took some pictures of Angus anyway. My work gets custom made dog treats made for the store (dehydrated pork liver) and employees get to take turns having their dogs on the package. It's my turn and I chose Angus over Eva because he has seniority. I sent my boss the first one of these because I like that one best, but here are photos from today. He has bulked up SO much just from having a yard to play in.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SuperTwo posted:

I'm sick as hell and on enforced rest for a few days, not supposed to leave bed but I went out and took some pictures of Angus anyway. My work gets custom made dog treats made for the store (dehydrated pork liver) and employees get to take turns having their dogs on the package. It's my turn and I chose Angus over Eva because he has seniority. I sent my boss the first one of these because I like that one best, but here are photos from today. He has bulked up SO much just from having a yard to play in.

That dog is swole as hell! :black101:

Lookit dat hippo mouth :3: Wanna pet dem muscles.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Angus sure is looking fit!

I demand Eva photos though, SuperTwo. I've not seen any in ages and at this point I'm pretty sure you've fed her to Angus :colbert:

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I'll try to take some later, My friend is going to come over later with her Aussies to wear out Angus and Eva for me so I don't strangle them while I try not to go insane from boredom while hacking up green wallpaper paste high on sudafed. My doctor told me I should only get out of bed to go to the bathroom, if the house is on fire or to chase down Halle Berry to give her his number.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Sound's like the "I've watched an episode of caesar milan training a dog so now I'm gonna copy him"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My egg guy has a "wild" whitetail fawn hanging out with his goats and sheep. It's pretty darn adorable.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

I got bored, have an Eva photodump.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Are you going to do flyball with her?

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

So, my mom went to untie the balloon and move it somewhere less terrifying for the cat, and...

I feel like I should wake Sheila up and unleash this free-floating horror on her.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Please send me Eva. She's so leggy and pretty and I want her :swoon:

I bet my dogs would be swole if I had a yard too.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

a life less posted:

Are you going to do flyball with her?

Probably not at least not in the immediate future. I don't have a team to practice or compete with. She'd be very good at it but I'm not interested in getting back into flyball right now. We're sticking with disc for now and I'm hoping to take her Lure coursing for her CA title next month.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

wtftastic posted:

I don't think so. I've seen the guy walking one of the dogs before and while I think he's not great with them, he seemed to be genuinely concerned (which I imagine he wouldn't be if he was the one shocking the dog). I mean maybe the dog is just really broken, or the guy gets mad at it for barking at other dogs and therefore responds that way. But seriously, I have never seen anything like it.

I've seen a dog do that with Sitka as well.

There's a guy who walks his dogs about the same time Sitka & I go for our runs. He's got two aussies from the look of them that are dog reactive as all get out. One is way, way worse than the other and barks, growls, and spins in circles at the edge of its leash if its owner doesn't get the chance to immediately redirect its attention onto him. The other dog, who seems way more timid, will then freak out like you described at both Sitka and the other aussie.

I feel really bad for the guy because he is trying (treating, redirecting, walking at off hours as this 5:30am we are talking) but those two dogs are super broken. Or I'm just spoiled because Sitka has the most even temper ever and only ever looses her poo poo over peanut butter cookies. (Though she will still body slam strange men away from me when we are running.)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

SuperTwo posted:

Probably not at least not in the immediate future. I don't have a team to practice or compete with. She'd be very good at it but I'm not interested in getting back into flyball right now. We're sticking with disc for now and I'm hoping to take her Lure coursing for her CA title next month.

I'm curious what happened to your team and why you're not interested? I loved seeing Angus' progress. I know gently caress all about disc but it looks like it's a lot of fun. My performance group keeps trying to get me to create a routine, but I can't even throw straight.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

a life less posted:

I'm curious what happened to your team and why you're not interested? I loved seeing Angus' progress. I know gently caress all about disc but it looks like it's a lot of fun. My performance group keeps trying to get me to create a routine, but I can't even throw straight.

I'll PM you. It's a long E/N kinda story.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

a life less posted:

Disc routine? Screw that. You can get your dog to stand up. You gotta do a DANCE routine with Cohen. Maybe a samba? :3:

Edit: Nothin' wrong with wanting to put on dance performances with a dog, no sir! :byodood:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

You could drive a bus under this dog.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Someone posted this in PYF meme/macro/etc, and I honestly thought I was over here in PI.

Sir Pickles McGillicutty, at your service!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dr. Squiggy McGuillicutty-Bunnybottom (homeline and cell phone). I like that.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Prince Stumpy Derpenshire will definitely be the name of my next rat (if I get a next rat).

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
From here on out you must all refer to me as Doctor Peanut McNubbin. :colbert:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

If I had a corgi, only one of two names would do:

1)Shortround.
2)Lord Woofton Barksworth Von Wigglebottom III

:colbert:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Miss Ein McNubbin doesn't flow

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Duke Stumpy Derpenshire.

Which is still infinitely worse than the oft threatened, "Mr. Barkley T, Woofles the Third". I told my dad if I got a male puppy that's what it was going to be called.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Serella posted:

You could drive a bus under this dog.

I'm not sure what you're implying. I don't know whether to be happy or insulted on behalf of my dog. Stop confusing me!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

SuperTwo posted:

I'm not sure what you're implying. I don't know whether to be happy or insulted on behalf of my dog. Stop confusing me!

he looks fine, his elbows aren't out

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Oh, duh. Yeah, one thing I really like about Angus is his shoulders and front legs (except his front feet.) I don't know if I'll ever get his back end to the point where I consider it satisfactorily ripped. He just has so many issues with his hind end. Not really structural, although he's bowlegged like a gay cowboy but when he has his muscle issues it's his hind end that's most problematic. I won't know until I get to build a springpole though.

Edit: Princess Pickles Derpinshire

SuperTwo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 7, 2013

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Prince Stumpy McNubbin. I like it :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I really really dislike those type of names, I'm not playing that dumb game :colbert:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I'm totally jealous of you Supertwo. I want a muscledog. :qq:

How often do people tell you that you're starving your dogs though? I bet that happens a lot. Not sure my eyes would survive all the rolling they'd do.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Dr. Squiggy Fluffybutt, reporting for duty!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I quite like my new name: Miss Squiggy Fritofeets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

I'm totally jealous of you Supertwo. I want a muscledog. :qq:

How often do people tell you that you're starving your dogs though? I bet that happens a lot. Not sure my eyes would survive all the rolling they'd do.

You know the answer to this probem. Make. Feldman. Swole.

I get it every so often. Not so much with Angus anymore because he's so stocky but he'd get a lot of comments when he wasn't really beefed. Eva gets it quite a lot but we don't go a ton of places that aren't full of fairly well educated dog people or family and friends. When I first started keeping Angus in shape so you could see ribs I got a lot of concern from my family. They'd never had a short haired dog or one that wasn't overweight so it took a lot of education and comparing them to human athletes but they finally got it. They still tease me though and make starving dog cracks that annoy the hell out of me.

• Locked thread