Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Shockeh posted:

The Q4RAF is a truly amazing piece of kit; Natively works on PS3/360/PC out of the box, a nice weight & size, and a reasonable price. If I didn't already have a dual modded TE, I'd be using one, and plenty of people locally swear by them, they're really good. If you're going to sink money for a non-custom stick, you really could do a lot worse.

I just got one of these two weeks ago and it's awesome. The stick is a little closer to the buttons than on the TE, but you get used yo it quickly. It comes out yo around the same price as dual modding a TE by yourself. If you need support for other consoles though, stick to the TE since there's more tools for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Gutcruncher posted:

360 sticks will work on your computer. PS3 sticks may work on your computer. Also the 360 sticks are typically easier to dual mod if you wanna go that route.
To clarify this one as it comes up on a irregular basis - The reason PS3 TE sticks did not work on all PC's was because those PC's (usually) had nVidia chipsets on their USB controllers, or one of the other smaller brands that hadn't licensed UHCI from Intel. The summary of the story is that some numpty in Madcatz decided to use an Intel originated, licensed USB standard for the TE, which means that if you weren't using a chipset that had licensed UCHI, you were poo poo out of luck.

The symptoms of this were that the stick would register just fine in Windows, but if you tried to use it or calibrate in Windows, it'd show as no inputs.

This is solved extremely easily for people without replacing their PC motherboard, by buying a $10 Intel or via USB PCI card, and voila, it'll work just fine. This was compounded hugely because there was a tonne of misinformation knocking around, with people having two machines, one on XP and one on Windows <whatever> and assuming it was an OS difference, when it wasn't.

(I googled when checking the name of the USB standard, and terrifyingly, the SRK.com post on the topic is STILL getting questions to this day. Utterly mindboggling.)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Shockeh posted:

(I googled when checking the name of the USB standard, and terrifyingly, the SRK.com post on the topic is STILL getting questions to this day. Utterly mindboggling.)

tl;dr - PS3 madcatz has a terrible chipset. Only works with UHCI based controllers, and I've even seen odder issues than that in some cases (seen it fail to work through some hubs on an otherwise UHCI machine).

It doesn't surprise me there are still posts there, there's still a bit of mysticism around it as well from people who don't know anything about USB.

And one minor nitpick from the previous post: for people wanting to use the 360 sticks, you 'probably' can use them with your PC, you'll just need a driver unless you're on Vista or LAter (ie, MacOS, linux, way old stuff like WinXP etc) since 360 controllers aren't basic (class compliant) HID Devices. But it can be done.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Fayk posted:

And one minor nitpick from the previous post: for people wanting to use the 360 sticks, you 'probably' can use them with your PC, you'll just need a driver unless you're on Vista or LAter (ie, MacOS, linux, way old stuff like WinXP etc) since 360 controllers aren't basic (class compliant) HID Devices. But it can be done.
I've never needed to seek out anything to use my Xbox TE in Windows XP, it works out of the box. I think Microsoft wants 360 controllers to work everywhere. It even worked out of the box on my Linux machine, but I admittedly had an up to date kernel so I don't know how it would be if you used something old.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Also it's worth restating that it's significantly harder to mod a PS3 stick to work with 360 than the other way around. This will be especially problematic if you get one of the SFxT Pro sticks, which are great sticks except that there's very little room to work with on the inside, so adding extra PCBs and stuff is very difficult. The only real solution to that is to get a total PCB replacement like the PS360+, which is a little pricier and tends to sell out quickly because of how handy it is for this particular case.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Brosnan posted:

Also it's worth restating that it's significantly harder to mod a PS3 stick to work with 360 than the other way around. This will be especially problematic if you get one of the SFxT Pro sticks, which are great sticks except that there's very little room to work with on the inside, so adding extra PCBs and stuff is very difficult. The only real solution to that is to get a total PCB replacement like the PS360+, which is a little pricier and tends to sell out quickly because of how handy it is for this particular case.

What about the Cronus Device? Looks like it should make anything universal without mucking about with internals.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Also, regarding the Qanba = Big Ben thing, when I looked up some sticks I could only find really tiny sticks which I imagine would be kind of annoying to use.

e: This is the BigBen/Qanba stick I found, for reference

I have that stick. It's amazing and I can't fault it. It's roughly the same size as a tournament edition, maybe a bit bigger.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Yeah, that's a Qanba Q4. Good stick.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brosnan posted:

For what it's worth, the PS360+ works quite well, and the mod (for a 360 stick at least) was quite easy. It was expensive($60 with no usb/rj-45 cable included) and it does sell out all the time, so the choice is yours.

I am doubtful on the Cronus's devices latency claims, supposedly it is 2.5 ms of latency but who knows. If someone has one and wants to run that Guitar Hero test I'm sure it would be helpful.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I have that stick. It's amazing and I can't fault it. It's roughly the same size as a tournament edition, maybe a bit bigger.

It's probably the angle and/or perspective that makes it looks tiny, but to me it looks like the stick is really close to the face buttons. Don't your hands kind of bump into each other with at least some of the grips? Just how bad is it?

Jeffrey posted:

For what it's worth, the PS360+ works quite well, and the mod (for a 360 stick at least) was quite easy. It was expensive($60 with no usb/rj-45 cable included) and it does sell out all the time, so the choice is yours.

With the PS360+ pcb costing around $60, how much would dual-modding 360 -> PS3 cost then so I have a reference to work with?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 6, 2013

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Captain Flame Guy posted:

It's probably the angle and/or perspective that makes it looks tiny, but to me it looks like the stick is really close to the face buttons. Don't your hands kind of bump into each other with at least some of the grips? Just how bad is it?

The white ring around the stick creates an illusion that the stick is closer than it looks. I have big hands and never have any problems.

I have a picture of the q4 next to my old standard edition sf4 stick. I'll post it when I get home in an hour.

edit: Here we go, sorry about the feet. On actually looking at the picture again (I took it a year ago) there is indeed less space but its so minor I had completely forgotten and I had used the smaller stick for 2 years. There is a white colour ring around the buttons as well (you can see it clearly around the black buttons) which blends in and makes it look like the button spacing is also different but they are the same as the SF4 sticks.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 6, 2013

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
I just got this on my facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/streetfighter

Capcom via thier Street Fighter facebook page posted:

Street Fighter
Got a few moments spare? We want you to vote for your top 5 Street Fighter characters of all time in our new poll, which will help us in producing future products and licensing opportunities. Place your votes now at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/StreetFighter
I voted for Chun-Li, Ken, Sakura, Cammy, and Guile.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like playing dress-up. What has more/better customization, Tekken Tag 2 or Virtua Fighter 5 FS? Are there any other options I'm not aware of (Besides Soul Calibur, I have that)?

I know you have to pay in VF5, but I got the game for free and would have to buy Tekken anyway, so it works out the same.

I have Tekken 6 but I never played it, so I took a glance at the options but it seems to be mostly different colored versions of 3-4 items per location. Apparently you can't even look in VF without buying the DLC.

I'm going to suck at the game regardless, so the actual play isn't really a concern.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Shockeh posted:

The Q4RAF is a truly amazing piece of kit; Natively works on PS3/360/PC out of the box, a nice weight & size, and a reasonable price. If I didn't already have a dual modded TE, I'd be using one, and plenty of people locally swear by them, they're really good. If you're going to sink money for a non-custom stick, you really could do a lot worse.

Quoted for truth. I have one, it's fantastic.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Aphrodite posted:

I like playing dress-up. What has more/better customization, Tekken Tag 2 or Virtua Fighter 5 FS? Are there any other options I'm not aware of (Besides Soul Calibur, I have that)?

I know you have to pay in VF5, but I got the game for free and would have to buy Tekken anyway, so it works out the same.

I have Tekken 6 but I never played it, so I took a glance at the options but it seems to be mostly different colored versions of 3-4 items per location. Apparently you can't even look in VF without buying the DLC.

I'm going to suck at the game regardless, so the actual play isn't really a concern.
The customization stuff in TTT2 is pretty legit. It's not like Soulcalibur tier or anything but there's enough options there that you can make some cool stuff. I have VF but haven't really investigated the costume creation stuff in that game, so I couldn't tell you.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Aphrodite posted:

S Tier: Soul Cal 4 (for reference)

A Tier: Tekken 6

B Tier: VF5:FS / SFxT

C Tier: TTT2

Dan Tier: Mortal Kombat

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does Tekken 6 have unlockable items besides the buyable ones or something? Is that maybe why it seems to have so few pieces at a glance?

Because if VF5 has less than what I saw in those menus, $5 is way overpriced.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 7, 2013

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Spuckuk posted:

Wait, TTT2 has less customization than Tekken 6?

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Zaa Boogie posted:

Wait, TTT2 has less customization than Tekken 6?

Yeah they had to tone it down, probably on account of there being four characters at once. For example, your character's lower body is all one part, so you can't have different pants/shoes. The pants and shoes are a set. So there's basically just head, upper body, lower body, then some accessories.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
That's how it was in T6 too, but there was more variety and more of the options were actually cool in T6. Tag2's items are almost entirely the same few concepts tailored to fit everyone in the cast, with a few character-specific things sprinkled in for more uniqueness. You do get a lot more control over things like colors and decals, but the item choices themselves aren't as cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SFxT has character customisation beyond colour packs or whatever?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brosnan posted:

You do get a lot more control over things like colors and decals, but the item choices themselves aren't as cool.

And neither is the music that loops in the background that I have to mute every time I go into customize.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

SFxT has character customisation beyond colour packs or whatever?

No, the discussion was about Tekken 6 vs Tekken Tag 2

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

No, the discussion was about Tekken 6 vs Tekken Tag 2

I was referring to this, which I thought was supposed to be a list of FGs in order of customisation options:

quote:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

I was referring to this, which I thought was supposed to be a list of FGs in order of customisation options:

Oh that. Why on earth is SFxT above TTT2?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Aphrodite posted:

I like playing dress-up. What has more/better customization, Tekken Tag 2 or Virtua Fighter 5 FS?

Well, I made Sagat in VF: http://youtu.be/c_AHNMCzklE

I've also made Goku, Kakashi, Ryu, Deejay, PS2 era Shinobi...

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
As far as I know the "PS3 TE USB chipset not working on certain motherboards" thing was only a problem on the first generation SF4 TEs, and has since been fixed. Any of the TE models currently in production don't have that problem. Unless you buy a used TE from around 2009 its not an issue.

Really though, just buy a Qanba. Great stick and is a lot easier than buying a TE and dual modding it.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I'm waiting for the next generation of consoles to come out before spending >100 bucks on a fightstick. The Qanba Q4 is looking fantastic though.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

I'm waiting for the next generation of consoles to come out before spending >100 bucks on a fightstick. The Qanba Q4 is looking fantastic though.

Wouldn't you theoretically be able to mod whatever stick you buy to be used on next gen consoles? Even if you can't, why would that stop you from playing fighting games you enjoy on this current generation with your stick once next gen drops?

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

SpaceBees posted:

As far as I know the "PS3 TE USB chipset not working on certain motherboards" thing was only a problem on the first generation SF4 TEs, and has since been fixed. Any of the TE models currently in production don't have that problem. Unless you buy a used TE from around 2009 its not an issue.

I have a PS3 SSF4 TE-S that doesn't work on my computer. It's not just the 2009 ones...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

Wouldn't you theoretically be able to mod whatever stick you buy to be used on next gen consoles? Even if you can't, why would that stop you from playing fighting games you enjoy on this current generation with your stick once next gen drops?

I'd put heavy bets on next gen xbox hardware being 100% compatible with 360 controllers. Less confident on the Sony front.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I do hope the KoF entries in the Steam database actually mean something's going to happen, because that means MORE SNKGLISH

At this point they have to be aware of it and seem to have embraced it fully.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The swap/alt costumes are baller as gently caress.

It's a terribly biased list.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

redmercer posted:

I do hope the KoF entries in the Steam database actually mean something's going to happen, because that means MORE SNKGLISH

King of Fighters on PC would make my day; out of last years' EVO lineup consisting entirely of games I don't play, it looked the most interesting.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Been watching some videos of Guilty Gear XX AC+, it looks like a fun game and it actually seems to make sense to me (lots of similarities with Street Fighter in terms of canceling/crossups/how things work in general) so I've been thinking of giving it a whirl. I grabbed it for XBL, is there much of an online scene? How is the netcode? It looks like dustloop.com seems to be the most solid resource for this game in terms of where to get character info/matchups/frame data/etc. What are some good beginner characters to start with, and must read/must watch articles and videos? I've heard the Guilty Gear series is supposed to be ridiculously hard, but I definitely would like to give it a bit of a chance and mess around with it as a nice break between SF4 and UMvC3.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Dark Wind posted:

Been watching some videos of Guilty Gear XX AC+, it looks like a fun game and it actually seems to make sense to me (lots of similarities with Street Fighter in terms of canceling/crossups/how things work in general) so I've been thinking of giving it a whirl. I grabbed it for XBL, is there much of an online scene? How is the netcode? It looks like dustloop.com seems to be the most solid resource for this game in terms of where to get character info/matchups/frame data/etc. What are some good beginner characters to start with, and must read/must watch articles and videos? I've heard the Guilty Gear series is supposed to be ridiculously hard, but I definitely would like to give it a bit of a chance and mess around with it as a nice break between SF4 and UMvC3.

GGX was my first fighting game so I'm probably not the most unbiased opinion, but the series' difficulty is vastly overrated, especially when you're not talking about tournament level play. Stuff like slashbacks, instant faultless guard, 1 frame false roman cancels (for most characters), etc. will never realistically come up in your average play experience. Systems like "jump install" and "impossible dust" SOUND esoteric and are even confusing to read on paper, but if you actually see them in action and try them out you'll see they're actually really simple. I find a lot of people are intimidated by the flashiness of it even when not much is really going on.

In contrast, SFIV has stuff like option selects on every goddamn jab and pressure setup, and let's not even talk about Marvel.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Stuff like slashbacks, instant faultless guard, 1 frame false roman cancels (for most characters), etc. will never realistically come up in your average play experience.

AFAIK the shortest FRCs are 2F as of AC+, I think that's still the same in ACR as well.

The Dark Wind posted:

I grabbed it for XBL, is there much of an online scene? How is the netcode? It looks like dustloop.com seems to be the most solid resource for this game in terms of where to get character info/matchups/frame data/etc. What are some good beginner characters to start with, and must read/must watch articles and videos?

Dunno about the online scene right now, but the netcode is very 'meh'. It's identical netcode to P4A or BB, but the game is a lot less tolerant of lag.

A good character to start with is the one you want to play as. Everyone has basic stuff and advanced stuff and it's all very specific, so go ahead and jump into whoever you like.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Has anyone here used silent buttons? A few of mine are on the way out so I might as well just replace them all and I've been thinking about getting the silent sanwa's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Nodoze posted:

Has anyone here used silent buttons? A few of mine are on the way out so I might as well just replace them all and I've been thinking about getting the silent sanwa's

They don't feel great compared to normal sanwas and while they're noticeably quieter, they're still audible.

• Locked thread