Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Midorka posted:

Edit: Brought the 3Beans into the shower to experience a shower beer, it's all that I've been led to believe and more. I will be doing this more often.

Try an IPA or wheat in the shower. My best shower beer was a Bells Oarsman after several hours of summer yard work. It was a transcendent experience; just enough tart to cut through the parch and the humidity of the steam.

Really, I think any beer that's light on malt and sugar is made amazing by a hot shower. I've tried a stout and an IIPA before, and in both cases I ended up finishing them after I got out.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Try an IPA or wheat in the shower. My best shower beer was a Bells Oarsman after several hours of summer yard work. It was a transcendent experience; just enough tart to cut through the parch and the humidity of the steam.

What is it about the shower that brings taste out? Is it the moisture in the air?

I thought I was the only one that noticed this....

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
One of the few well deserved shower beers I've ever had was a CCB jai alai after 12 hours on the deck of this massive navy destroyer in the August Florida sun, it as easily one of the best beers of my life.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

RiggenBlaque posted:

One of the few well deserved shower beers I've ever had was a CCB jai alai after 12 hours on the deck of this massive navy destroyer in the August Florida sun, it as easily one of the best beers of my life.

Fresh Jai Alai is really quite amazing. Touring their facility I got some that had been bottled only 5 minutes previously and then thrown into a freezer for our subsequent enjoyment.

It was absolutely heavenly.

On a completely different note, I'm drinking a BA Old Rasputin and all I can say is to sit on this beer for a year or two. I just had a sip that was, well, just bourbon. I like bourbon so it isn't terrible, but it was no poo poo just bourbon taste with a little roast thrown in there. Still delicious just not well balanced yet.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Noni posted:

This is awesome. I've always wanted to feel like I'm drinking out of a butt plug.

Their FIRST signature glass looks like the bottom half of a butt plug, too. I'm starting to wonder if it's intentional.

As for best shower beers, I have never had one more satisfying than Beer Here White Cat after a 14-hour day in the Søgaards brewery. More hoppy beers need to be made with orange peel, because goddamn does it ever work awesomely.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

the yellow dart posted:

Fresh Jai Alai is really quite amazing. Touring their facility I got some that had been bottled only 5 minutes previously and then thrown into a freezer for our subsequent enjoyment.

It was absolutely heavenly.

On a completely different note, I'm drinking a BA Old Rasputin and all I can say is to sit on this beer for a year or two. I just had a sip that was, well, just bourbon. I like bourbon so it isn't terrible, but it was no poo poo just bourbon taste with a little roast thrown in there. Still delicious just not well balanced yet.

With a year on it, the BA Old Rasputin is excellent and has a great balance of bourbon/oakiness to the base beer.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Has anyone ever gone to the American Craft Beer Fest? My sister is in Boston, it'd be pretty easy for me to couch surf for a couple days so gently caress it

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Ubik posted:

Their FIRST signature glass looks like the bottom half of a butt plug, too. I'm starting to wonder if it's intentional.

Whoa, I'll give you that the new one looks a bit like a butt plug, but their signature glass is nothing more than a sturdy base.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

nuncle jimbo posted:

Has anyone ever gone to the American Craft Beer Fest? My sister is in Boston, it'd be pretty easy for me to couch surf for a couple days so gently caress it

I went and had a great time, with the caveat that it was like 5 years ago and I was just getting into beer so everything was new to me. There was a good variety of breweries and crowds were pretty manageable--except the line to get in the building. We lost like the first 45 minutes of the session just standing in line. That may have improved by now but I recommend getting there pretty early.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Docjowles posted:

I went and had a great time, with the caveat that it was like 5 years ago and I was just getting into beer so everything was new to me. There was a good variety of breweries and crowds were pretty manageable--except the line to get in the building. We lost like the first 45 minutes of the session just standing in line. That may have improved by now but I recommend getting there pretty early.

Went there last year and this is all accurate. Lost a good 30-45 minutes in line.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"
Just got back from a trip to Chicago to see an old friend. Met up with a buddy who has been working at Wild Blossom meadery. Interesting meads (tried pomegranate, chocolate coffee, hibiscus and dry white.) Then last night we started with a galaxy unicorn which was fantastically good, then double jack and double daisy cutter at Maria's. Needless to say I am feeling it today.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
After the brief discussion in here about Nugget Nectar I decided I needed to finally try it. Called up my local place which told me they had "plenty in stock". Stopped by after work to find out it was completely gone. However, while browsing other stuff I found four bottles on the wrong shelf and promptly bought them. After trying it I'm VERY happy I did.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Enjoying my first ever Pliny the Elder courtesy of fellow goon Furious Lobster.

It is everything its cracked up to be. Would buy this all the time if I had access to it. I guess I'm lucky to live in Ohio though and at least have access to some relatively good and cheap IPAs but man.....could definitely survive on a steady diet of Pliny.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I went to O'Brien's in San Diego for a BLT today and they were doing sign ups for a charity sale of one of their Pliny the Younger kegs. They had apparently started the pre-sale an hour earlier and the girl told me most of the glasses were already sold. I can't imagine the regular tapping of their first keg (Saturday the 16th) is going to be anything less than a madhouse.

SHAKY DEFENSE
Mar 4, 2005

anything but that
And then there's this BBA Siren Noire from Heavy Seas...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Whoever said Orabelle by Great Divide was strong of oranges wasn't kidding. It's as if they blended 10%-20% of this with orange juice. It's not too overpowering but the more I sip it the more I taste it. I couldn't drink a 6 pack of this, but someone coming from Blue Moon or Shock Top would be at home here. It certainly has more complexity than either, but the orange flavor is just as strong.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
So, I keep talking about beer at work, and eventually a few other people start, and I've found enough beer fans to organize a bottle swap at the office. Go me.

Keeping it simple to start -- everyone brings a six pack, everyone brings home six beers.

Just gotta decide what to bring...

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Angry Grimace posted:

I went to O'Brien's in San Diego for a BLT today and they were doing sign ups for a charity sale of one of their Pliny the Younger kegs. They had apparently started the pre-sale an hour earlier and the girl told me most of the glasses were already sold. I can't imagine the regular tapping of their first keg (Saturday the 16th) is going to be anything less than a madhouse.

So did you sign up? I was going to try and swing by after work, but they posted a message saying that the charity sale had sold out before I even got off work. I'm not even going to try and get down there on the 16th, its gonna be ridiculous.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Capt. Awesome posted:

So did you sign up? I was going to try and swing by after work, but they posted a message saying that the charity sale had sold out before I even got off work. I'm not even going to try and get down there on the 16th, its gonna be ridiculous.
Yeah, I managed to sign up, although last year I just got to Hamilton's about 40 minutes early and I was the 5th guy in the door.

The Phantom Goat
Oct 6, 2003

Where my moviez at?

The Bunk posted:

I'm going to a 'Lotto Breakfast' at my local store this Saturday. If your number is drawn you get to buy a sixer of Hopslam or a bottle of Foothills Sexual Chocolate. I've never had either, so I'd be OK getting whichever. They're supposed to have both on tap as well, so maybe I'll figure out which one goes better with a Bojangles biscuit and get the other one for later.

Edit: The other store in the city ran out of Hopslam in 32 minutes.

A fellow Bottle Rev member, eh? You'll see me in line for that one. I figure I can at least get them on tap (if they get Sexual Chocolate keg in time).

The Total Wine in brier creek is apparently holding their hop slam for a 9am release this saturday, but I'd much rather give my money to Ted.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I had a Founders Cerise tonight. I was expecting more tart, but it was OK overall. Worth the $4.50 10oz pour, but nothing I'd fawn over.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
The store I went to last weekend had like 3 cases of Hopslam just sitting there for 20 a six pack. Is it really that drat good?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cromlech posted:

The store I went to last weekend had like 3 cases of Hopslam just sitting there for 20 a six pack. Is it really that drat good?

Compare it to a ten dollar bomber of the same style, and 20 bucks a six pack isn't so bad. Still, not that I buy more than a single 6er at prices like that.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Anyone know why Bell's hasn't gone to 4-pack Hopslams? I guess it sells out even at the higher 6-pack price, so they don't really need to.

Had one on tap last night and the bar was serving it WAYYYyyyy too chilled. Had to let it sit around for about 20 minutes before it even started to open up a little bit.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

Anyone know why Bell's hasn't gone to 4-pack Hopslams?

Other than this year's Black Note 12 oz release, I can't think of anything Bell's sells in 4-packs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Forget Hopslam, they need to sell Expedition in 4-packs

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
My local shop just posted on Facebook that they got a shipment from Mikkeller, Jolly Pumpkin, The Lost Abbey, The Bruery, Alesmith, Stillwater, Firestone Walker, and Anchorage. A few of these I've seen talked about in here, any particular brews that I should make a point to get from these breweries (Assuming they have them)? Any I should wait on in favor of others?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I love that Bell's doesn't release 4-packs (except for Black Note of course).

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

My local shop just posted on Facebook that they got a shipment from Mikkeller, Jolly Pumpkin, The Lost Abbey, The Bruery, Alesmith, Stillwater, Firestone Walker, and Anchorage. A few of these I've seen talked about in here, any particular brews that I should make a point to get from these breweries (Assuming they have them)? Any I should wait on in favor of others?

Heh. Do you have $200?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Mikkeller would be dead loving last on my list of things to get

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

RiggenBlaque posted:

Agreed.

I mean, the big hitters from those breweries that aren't super special releases would likely be:
Alesmith: IPA, Speedway Stout
Jolly Pumpkin: Bam Biere, La Roja, Biere de Mars, Oro de Calabaza
Stillwater: Stateside, Cellar Door
Bruery: I honestly don't care
Lost Abbey: ehhhhh
Firestone Walker: Union Jack, Double Jack, Black Xantus (under the Nectar Ales name), Parabola, Sucaba, any of the Anniversary ales

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Heh. Do you have $200?

If so, you might be able to buy a Mikkeller bottle or two. :v:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

RiggenBlaque posted:

Mikkeller makes some awesome beers. However, they make about 10,000 different beers, so the awesome ones kinda get lost in the (very expensive) fray.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Glottis posted:

Mikkeller makes some awesome beers. However, they make about 10,000 different beers, so the awesome ones kinda get lost in the (very expensive) fray.

Yeah, this is my opinion. I'm a fan of the BA'd Black Holes (especially red wine) and the cognac-barrel aged Beer Geek Brunch Weasel is fantastic though stupid expensive.

Just a reminder that Jolly Pumpkin only does sours. Think of the description on the bottle, then think about how that would taste when tarted up.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Bruery: All of their great beers are going to specials so as above, just forget their releases

Lost Abbey: Probably Deliverance and Serpent's Stout based on the most recent release in my local shop; the former is better and actually made up partly of the latter and Angel's share but it's of a smaller quantity and more expensive than the latter.

FSW: §ucaba was just released a couple of days ago so it's probably still too early for shops to get it, most likely by next week at the earliest, Parabola is coming out in May so it's going to the be usual year round stuff as noted above.

Alesmith: In addition to the regulars, you might also be getting a first time bottle of My Bloody Valentine but it's really not worth purchasing for the taste but more for the hype of having never been bottled before ( and for good reason)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

echoing what everyone else said about Mikkeller- even the rare great beers he makes are not always worth the price, and unless you're big into saisons you might want to skip Stillwater (Cellar Door is fantastic if you are, but if it's the Table Beer or Premium... eh). the others are all solid breweries and you should purchase without too much trepidation, provided you like the style (and, as TT points out below, you have the money).

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 7, 2013

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

I would probably just get Speedway Stout by Alesmith, and a 6er of Union Jack + everything else by Firestone Walker. Mikkeller, Lost Abbey, and the Bruery all make great special release beers but are exorbitant in price. The other two I can't speak on.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I personally love everything from Anchorage. Gabe is awesome. Top 3 for me from him are Love Buzz, Tide and its Takers, and the Galaxy White IPA.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

danbanana posted:

Just a reminder that Jolly Pumpkin only does sours. Think of the description on the bottle, then think about how that would taste when tarted up.

I would not call 90% of what JP does "sour". Just funky/tart, at best. Their stuff is supremely accessible, IMO. I'm not a huge super sour/lambic/gueze fan myself, so that's probably why I dig them so much.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShaneB posted:

I would not call 90% of what JP does "sour". Just funky/tart, at best. Their stuff is supremely accessible, IMO.

I meant that as a style, not as a definitive taste profile. I agree their beers are all solid, but how they describe their product on their labels and what comes out of the bottle can be confusing for the uneducated.