Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

I recently launched a Kickstarter for the fantasy novel I'm working on. You can find the campaign here.

All the details are on the Kickstarter, but here's the gist:

I'm a longtime journalist in the middle of writing my first novel. Here's the story synopsis:

In a world of kingdoms and empires, mages and sorcerers, there was a prophecy. It was said that a man would bring about a golden age. This messianic figure would be known in history as the Evenarian. But he must be stopped. A strange wanderer valiantly tries to prevent the dystopia that awaits in this "golden age" in which magic is removed from the world. Our hero embarks on an epic journey. His young friend, a student of magic, testifies this tale - perhaps the greatest story their history has ever (or never) known.

I also put up an excerpt from one of the chapters here.

I've decided not to do the self-publishing route (for now) and am instead raising money to pay for a professional editor to go over the MS and for fees related to distributing the MS to agents/publishers.

As of today (11/5), I've raised about $3,000. If you're interested, please make your pledge ASAP because I'm not only trying to get to the main goal of $5,000 - there's a push goal of $7,000. I'll gladly field questions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
Hey there Goons,

I launched a kickstarter with my band today, which you can check out here.

Our goal is to get funding to record a full length album, as well as send a 3 foot by 5 foot sheet cake of the three of us to Conan O'Brien. We initially wanted to go larger than that, but when speaking with the bakery I discovered that would have pushed the kickstarter up to "Yeah good loving luck with that" levels of funding.

If you're interested in checking out what some of our other stuff sounds like, feel free to check out our bandcamp, we have some free music for download if you're interested.

Thanks for any support! I'm more than willing field any questions/comments that anybody has.

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Im right and you're an ass.
Hi Goons,

We just launched our fundraiser for our Web Tv Series Metalhedz

here: http://www.indiegogo.com/Metalhedz where there are a lot more details however here is the lowdown.

The Show:

It's an 8 episode comedy webseries about the lives and loves of a group of Scottish Heavy Metal loving 20-somethings. There is the resident slease, his wallflower best friend, their cuttingly sarcastic female flatmate and their annoying sex pest waster friends, who just won't go away!
Over the course of the series we'll see them laugh, cry, fall in and out of love as they try to find their way through life.

The concept is to make a show that falls comedy-wise somewhere between the Exaggerated but familiar cruedness of The Inbetweeners and the fantastical sillyness of Coupling, with a distinctly Scottish foul mouth and a Rock and Metal twist. Expect lots of harsh but realistic language, course and occasionally offensive humour and some downright hysterical moments.

The Fundraising
We've put together a test pilot which should give a taster of what the final product is likely to be once we've got the funding to film the entire series. It's on the indiegogo page. Ultimately we'll re-shoot the pilot to keep it in tone with the longer subsequent episodes. We've already cast, scripted, location scouted and secured a basic crew. What we need now is the funding to pay for the transport, equipment hire and catering for the cast & crew over the 20 days of shooting.

We really want to get this project off the ground, as raw and course humour is something that is shyed away from on TV these days, in favour of soulless, ball-less, middle-aged, network-friendly canned laughter fare. We just want the chance to make something a little more edgy.

Thanks for you support, we really do appreciate it.

kizeesh fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 9, 2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Thanks for any support! I'm more than willing field any questions/comments that anybody has.
I'm curious what price you were quoted for the cake, and also what you think the likely outcome of this is, assuming you are able to raise enough money to do the whole cake thing. It's the sort of thing I could see panning out, but it sounds like a real longshot that you guys would ultimately benefit that much from it. Like maybe a 20 second mention on the show, a few tweets/retweets? There's the chance it "goes viral" or he has you guys on the show or something, but those seem really unlikely to me.

edit: oh, to be clear, I don't mean "curious what price you were quoted for the cake" to sound like I'm grilling you about expenditures or whatever; I guess it's really more "out of the profits on this kickstarter, roughly what % goes to the cake versus recording the album?"

het fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 9, 2012

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

het posted:

I'm curious what price you were quoted for the cake, and also what you think the likely outcome of this is, assuming you are able to raise enough money to do the whole cake thing. It's the sort of thing I could see panning out, but it sounds like a real longshot that you guys would ultimately benefit that much from it. Like maybe a 20 second mention on the show, a few tweets/retweets? There's the chance it "goes viral" or he has you guys on the show or something, but those seem really unlikely to me.

edit: oh, to be clear, I don't mean "curious what price you were quoted for the cake" to sound like I'm grilling you about expenditures or whatever; I guess it's really more "out of the profits on this kickstarter, roughly what % goes to the cake versus recording the album?"

Roughly 1/3 of the cost of the kickstarter is the album (approximately 31%). The cake is around 40%, the rest is money for rewards/shipping rewards. When I was assessing the final costs I was starting to understand why so many people have "We will give your our eternal thanks!" or very small items as rewards.

As far as potential gains from the cake, I personally would consider a 20 second mention on Conan an absolute success. If we manage to get it funded a more realistic goal would be getting an e-mail that says "Thanks for the cake, I really enjoyed eating your face" or something. A lot of people (like us) really like Conan O'Brien, so we figured that it was a decent idea for helping spread it around.

The more goon help we can get on this the better the chances are of anything positive happening are, obviously.

We have already had one person request that we play at their high school prom (they work at the school) if they contribute $200+. (We're figuring out logistics before they contribute). Gotta say I never expected to do something like that.

JackMcG
Nov 5, 2012
Hey goons! I have a comic Kickstarter going right now, and it could use some support.

It's called PARADOX:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jackmcguigan/paradox-vol-1

It's a time travel book, about a cowboy and a teenage girl from the 1980's who travel
through time closing wormholes. 5 issues, 126 pages, full color. $25 for the trade, more
if you want extra stuff.

The first issue's done, and you can read the whole thing online here:

Scrolly Thing: http://paradoxcomic.com/issue-one/
PDF Version: http://paradoxcomic.com/Paradox01.pdf
CBR Version: http://paradoxcomic.com/Paradox01.cbr

Thanks!

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Apocalypse Now: Poems and Prose from the End of Days

Hey, one of the members of my podcast is part of a Kickstarter. Its a anthology of apocalypse themed poetry and stories.
This is one that my fellow hosts wrote. I may be a bit biased, but I really enjoyed that one. Pinckney Benedict's "The Beginnings Of Sorrow" is another one I've read before, and its a super creepy story about the end times and what happens when the family dog is possessed by something. Other notables in the collection are Margaret Atwood and Rodney Jones. Heck here's the whole list.

quote:

Alexander Lumans's "All the Things the Moon is Not"
Andrew McFadyen-Ketchum's "when the dark heads of sleep" and "Marysarias"
Brian Barker – 4 poems
Brian Evenson's "The Adjudicator"
Catherine Pierce – 5 poems
Charles Martin's "Taken Up"
Chet Weise's "An American Prayer for the Second Coming" and "Jericho Trumpets"
Darcie Dennigan's "Corinna A-Maying the Apocalypse"
David J. Daniels's "This Is the Pink"
David Roderick's "Target"
Davis McCombs – 10 poems
E. Lily Yu's "The Cartographer Wasps and the Anarchist Bees"
Ed Pavlić's "From: Arachnida Speak"
Jeffrey Schultz's "Weekday Apocalyptic" and "J. Finds in His Pocket Neither Change nor Small Bills"
Jenna Bazzell's "Into the Damp Woods" and "Wet Field"
Josh Woods's "The Lawgiver"
Joshua Robbins's "Field Guide to the Second Coming"
Joyce Carol Oates's "Thanksgiving"
Judy Jordan – 3 poems
Keith Montesano – 3 poems
Kelly Link's "Catskin"
Kevin Prufer – 5 poems
Kristin Bock – 5 poems
Maggie Smith – 5 poems
Marc Mckee – 4 poems
Margaret Atwood's "The Silver Astroturfer"
Nicky Beer's "Rimbaud's Kraken"
Paolo Bacigalupi's "The People of Sand and Slag"
Pinckney Benedict's "The Beginnings Of Sorrow"
Rodney Jones's "Apocalyptic Narrative"
Seth Fried's "The Siege"
Simone Muench's "Wolf Centos"
Tessa Mellas's "Blue Sky White"
Tina Connolly's "Recalculating"
TR Hummer – 10 poems
Wayne Miller – 5 poems

So there's 6 days left and they need less than thousand more. I'd really like to hold a physical copy of the book in my hand.

Hey they made their goal! Thanks to any goons who helped. They have stretch goals, so its not too late!

Ulta fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 1, 2012

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hey goons, I'm attempting to start my own business solely through crowdfunding getting a small business loan without collateral or cosigner is ridiculously difficult. .Half of the business involves traveling to different Magic: the Gathering tournaments as a dealer on the weekends, while during the week providing 40+ hours of live streaming content.

More information is at my IndieGoGo page:

http://igg.me/p/283085/x/1802638

I know quite a few of goons play Magic, watch streams, and buy/sell/trade on these forums. If you don't feel like donating, please understand that sharing the link is something I'd be very, very grateful for. Eyeballs on the page mean nearly as much as donations do, I can't stress that enough.

However, if you DO feel like donating, I want to extend a special goon-only offer:

Any goon who donates on the $15 or $30 tier will additionally receive the $50 perk, entitling them to the special 10% lifetime discount version of the business card. I wanted to do this because I plan on doing a lot of business with goons if this succeeds. Thanks for reading.

p.s. I know that trying to raise money for a for-profit business through crowdfunding is sort of like putting my balls out there and asking people to kick away, but I am pretty passionate about what I want to do.

Mob fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 30, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Mob posted:

Hey goons, I'm attempting to start my own business solely through crowdfunding getting a small business loan without collateral or cosigner is ridiculously difficult. .Half of the business involves traveling to different Magic: the Gathering tournaments as a dealer on the weekends, while during the week providing 40+ hours of live streaming content.

More information is at my IndieGoGo page:

http://igg.me/p/283085/x/1802638

I know quite a few of goons play Magic, watch streams, and buy/sell/trade on these forums. If you don't feel like donating, please understand that sharing the link is something I'd be very, very grateful for. Eyeballs on the page mean nearly as much as donations do, I can't stress that enough.

However, if you DO feel like donating, I want to extend a special goon-only offer:

Any goon who donates on the $15 or $30 tier will additionally receive the $50 perk, entitling them to the special 10% lifetime discount version of the business card. I wanted to do this because I plan on doing a lot of business with goons if this succeeds. Thanks for reading.

p.s. I know that trying to raise money for a for-profit business through crowdfunding is sort of like putting my balls out there and asking people to kick away, but I am pretty passionate about what I want to do.

Your campaign: Flexible Funding, Indiegogo, no video. I'll be shocked if you raise more than $300. Your $750 reward is really bad and doesn't demonstrate a lot of confidence. You need a video. You need to demonstrate that you believe in yourself so much that strangers should also believe in you.

Content: I just don't understand this at all. Your plan is to provide 40+ hours of live streaming content per week? But you don't give any examples of what that would be? Is this just going to be you running a twitch.tv account while playing Magic Online and occasionally saying something? Is something preventing you from doing an example episode? Will your content be compelling? Will it be technically sufficient? Is your voice grating? Are you funny? Who knows? Are you a national tournament winner?

The other aspect of your business. If you knew what you were doing insofar as dealing and trading, you wouldn't have to ask the internet to buy you $7,500 in magic cards. You've been doing this for 18 years: how do you not have a massive collection already? If you do, why do you need more?

What is your business model? How do you compete with the big websites who have massive inventory, next day shipping, bigger flashier booths, and can offer better prices than you? What are your margins? I could go on and on with this stuff.

You mention the difficulty of getting a small business loan. Did you apply for one?

Photonic
Dec 17, 2012

Galaxy for Hire is an Hero-based Tower Defense game where you fight alongside your friends, completing missions in various game-modes, gaining power and shaping the galaxy. Choose your mercenary, and fight against hordes of enemies by utilizing your powerful abilities, items and by building defensive structures in this online cooperative action game.

Features:

• Play Online with up to 4 players in unique co-op missions
  • Fast Paced Combat utilizing WASD movement and dodge
  • Utilize Powerful Abilities to take down your foes
  • Build Turrets in real time to defend your objectives
  • Persistent Character Leveling and customization
  • Enhanced Replayability via procedurally generated enemy waves and our dynamic events system
  • 6-8 Playable Characters with various playstyles
  • 2-3 Unique Game Modes on release
  • Fight in a Dark Sci-Fi Universe ruled by corporations through fear and violence
  • and much more...

For more information, please visit https://www.galaxyforhire.com

Sounds pretty fun right? The good news is Galaxy for Hire is not just a concept. We have been developing a prototype for the past two years. But now we need YOUR help! We have a Kickstarter campaign running right now to raise the necessary funding to make this game a reality. If you'd like to play Galaxy, please consider donating to our campaign. We have some really great rewards, like digital copies of the original soundtrack and artbook. Even if you can't spare the money, help us by spreading the word amongst your friends. Share us on Facebook or Twitter. Without the support of an awesome community we won't be able to make this happen. Thanks!

Our Kickstarter: http://kck.st/RSopGK

Co-Founder and Creative Director - Trench Games, LLC
Kickstarter | Galaxy for Hire | Trench Games

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 23, 2023

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 23, 2023

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

orenji posted:

Um, so it's probably partially to do with the the time of year, but I'm getting an abysmal response. Video and project critics - knock yourselves out. What do I have to do to make this better?

The time of year is definitely working against you. The following will get pretty harsh, but I think a revamped campaign would perform a little bit better. I don't know if it will perform well enough to net you five grand, but here goes:

1) You should probably have a talking head video. You show your work, and that's great, but it doesn't connect you to your audience. I'm not moved by your photography, but I might be moved by you.

2) Niche content. Aside from it's growing pains with democracy, Burma doesn't get much press in the Western media. It used to be called Myanmar right? I know this isn't something you can change, but it might help to explain the poor campaign performance.

3) You mention that your work is being shown around Australia. That's a vague statement. Is there any press about it?

4) You direct people to your instagram account to see more of your work. I get that you can have professional work there, but it's mainly known for lazy people who want to quickly add sepia filters because they're now a "photographer."

5) Cynically, is this just a vacation where you'll take pictures? A few posts above yours is a guy who is begging the internet for thousands of dollars for magic cards.

6) Photography is mundane. Every person with a smartphone thinks they are a photographer. I'm not saying you fall into this category, but if you have bona fides that would separate you from the chaff, you should discuss that. Are you formally educated in photography? Have you won awards?

7) It's unclear why you need the money. You didn't mention needing money for your prior trip. Are you recently out of a job? Are you spending all your money on your dog who is on life support?

8) You seem unsure about what the end product of this trip will be. Another art gallery showing but also maybe a book? You should have a more confident plan about what you will do with the media from this trip.

Happy Holidays!

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 23, 2023

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

orenji posted:

I do think it has to do with the time of the year. None of my friends have really even gone to check the link out. I think it also has to do with, as you said, a niche market too - i just figure that there would be enough of them to care and donate. The people I'm aiming this at are OLD and NOT technology savvy, I wonder whether I should take up a collection, manually - and then donate that somehow through someone else.

If that's your target audience then some other outreach tool is required. KS requires a few different internet accounts (KS, email, amazon) and an inherent trust of those entities AND your campaign. The old people in my life have zero tolerance for that (god forbid there's a captcha anywhere).

quote:

Thanks again for your critique! I really appreciate it.

Thanks for posting the campaign, and I hope you're able to pull it off.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to submit a recent Kickstarter project being held by a friend of mine to raise cash to afford the assistance of other artists to help polish up her senior thesis in animation, an ambitious ten minute cartoon due this May (but she'd finish it herself eventually come hell or high water):

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1940350729/welcome-to-hell-an-animated-student-film

Why should you throw money at her to basically help her do her homework? Well, as her explanatory video says, she's gotten positive feedback from animators of popular works such as Adventure Time, but I know she's also been in touch with animators from The Simpsons and some of her fan work for South Park was exhibited at the 2011 San Diego Comic Con. Oh yeah, and she recently got contacted by someone from motherfucking Pixar to send a demo reel in, but she's trying her hardest to stay humble about that. Oddly enough, she seemed the most excited when I mentioned seeing some of her work posted somewhere deep into the PYF Weird/Awesome Fanart threads, and she isn't even a goon!

Here, have some more links to her stuff, just click before ranting about how nobody in those hugbox sites has talent:
http://welcometohellfilm.tumblr.com/
http://real-faker.deviantart.com/

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 23, 2023

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

I tried really hard to find a compelling reason to donate, but I just can't find one.

As a photographer your current work is poorly documented, with no links to your work outside of your SmugMug website. You mentioned that you're in a few shows, links? No mention of the gear you use, own, or would like to get for your trip. On top of that your website is just a collection of photos, no write ups which give me a better sense of who I would be donating too. Start a blog, write about your style, your goals.

I don't mean to be harsh, so I hope this info helps your future efforts.

Oh My Science fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jan 8, 2013

orenji
Oct 12, 2009

orenji fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 23, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The End is a science fiction webcomic about a motley collection of nerds, dorks, and nobodies that get abducted by aliens while attending a sci-fi convention. When the alien mothership is unexpectedly destroyed by forces unknown, the unlikely crew is sent on an interstellar journey that is strange, perilous, often funny, and sometimes very sad. I'm the writer, my wife's the artist, and the two of us have put three years and a lot of love into this story; I pour a great deal of passion into the scripting and worldbuilding behind our comic, and she works her butt off to create beautiful, vivid artwork for our readers to enjoy.

We just opened up our Kickstarter, and things are going great so far! Our goal is $3,000 to help cover the costs of publishing parts I and II of The End in a full-colour, 208-page graphic novel, including some neat extras like a character side-story and a bunch of bonus art. Our goal is relatively modest because we already have most of our bases covered in terms of funding, but we want to try to recoup costs and set aside earmarked funds right now so that we don't have to live off ramen noodles and starry-eyed hope once the deal is done. We're over 70% funded already, but every little bit helps!

You can check out our Kickstarter here, and the comic itself here.

The Littlest Man
Jun 24, 2005

(Duke, who would want this)

Howdy everybody. My band Blame Sydney is planning on releasing a new EP and a bunch of new merch in the near future. So we've started a Kickstarter campaign to get things rolling. We feel like we have some pretty cool stuff lined up for donors and are almost half-way to our goal. With your support we'll get there in no time. Any help at all, even suggestions/comments, are welcome and appreciated.

A little background: we've been together for almost 4 years now and are one of the biggest ska bands in Alabama. And as cliched as it sounds we don't care all that much about making it big or becoming famous. We just want to put out fun ska/punk music, with a Southern'ish blend. The t-shirts, stickers, and other stuff we make help to fund our travel and recording expenses.

Over the last year or so, however, the local venues we frequented closed shop, leaving us with limited options for funding our music. With two albums out and a ton of songs ready to be recorded we took to the Internet and Kickstarter to help us get our stuff out to anyone who wants it. We're asking for $1,500 to cover the cost of a 5 song EP, t-shirts, buttons, and stickers for donors. As of this writing we're up to about $700 with 36 days to go!

For a sample of our music, check out our reverbnation page here

And last but not least, the link to our Kickstarter is here

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Hard Luck Hank: Screw the Galaxy

I'll have my full Kickstarter project up in a few days. It's a sci-fi humor novel. Most of the rewards are t-shirts based on characters from a movie I put together to advertise it. The novel is done for the most part. I have a website where I'll have updates.

http://www.belvaille.com/
http://www.hardluckhank.com/

The video uses scenes and dialogue taken word-for-word from the novel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5NxySmQIQ

Mutant thug and gang negotiator, Hank, struggles with his motto of never taking sides when his backwater, criminal space station is invaded by aliens, occupied by the military and is in danger of becoming law-abiding.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

The Littlest Man posted:

Howdy everybody. My band Blame Sydney is planning on releasing a new EP and a bunch of new merch in the near future. So we've started a Kickstarter campaign to get things rolling. We feel like we have some pretty cool stuff lined up for donors and are almost half-way to our goal. With your support we'll get there in no time. Any help at all, even suggestions/comments, are welcome and appreciated.

A little background: we've been together for almost 4 years now and are one of the biggest ska bands in Alabama. And as cliched as it sounds we don't care all that much about making it big or becoming famous. We just want to put out fun ska/punk music, with a Southern'ish blend. The t-shirts, stickers, and other stuff we make help to fund our travel and recording expenses.

Over the last year or so, however, the local venues we frequented closed shop, leaving us with limited options for funding our music. With two albums out and a ton of songs ready to be recorded we took to the Internet and Kickstarter to help us get our stuff out to anyone who wants it. We're asking for $1,500 to cover the cost of a 5 song EP, t-shirts, buttons, and stickers for donors. As of this writing we're up to about $700 with 36 days to go!

I think this is a great campaign. We get to see the band in the video, there's no pretentiousness, and it's a reasonable goal amount. My only concern is your $20 reward looks too generous.

DukeRustfield posted:

Hard Luck Hank: Screw the Galaxy

The video uses scenes and dialogue taken word-for-word from the novel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5NxySmQIQ

Assuming the content you've linked to will be the content in your campaign, this doesn't bode well. The first minute of your video is a bizarre galaxy map filled with notations and overlays. It's straight out of a fever dream. I get that you've built a world and you're excited to share it, but this isn't going to draw many people in. The animation is passable, but you're trying to publish a novel, not make an animated film.

I read on your website that your target audience is visual and on the internet, so that necessitates an animated video to show off the dialogue of the novel. Why are you targeting an audience that you don't think wants your product? Who are you trying to attract to read a novel that has to be tricked with animated spaceboobs?

If your rewards are primarily t-shirts featuring the characters from the animated video, these won't be an incentive to donate. The artwork is ok for proof of concept stuff, but it's not something you should choose to represent your brand or your product. It's deviantart caliber. But maybe you have some other artwork and awesome designs that you haven't shown. But this is all beside the point that physical rewards, unless they're priced very high, are not going to do you much good. There are lots of Kickstarter "success" stories where campaigns reached their funding goal but then fell victim to fulfilling the rewards they promised and lost money. Your product is intellectual property: it costs nothing to give donators sneak peaks at your work in progress, exclusive character bios, etc.

The writing example in your Preview portion of your website has some technical concerns. Your dialogue consists of a sentence, two line breaks, then the responding sentence, often without character attribution. Has your professional editor cleared these passages yet? If not, wait for her to do so before you show this to the world. If she has, find another editor. This is the style of writing you see in creative forum posts, not the type you see in published work.

How much are you hoping to raise with the Kickstarter?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

The Littlest Man posted:

That video is way unbalanced in audio and almost blew my ear our which just makes me mad and close the tab right away. Might want to fix that.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Assuming the content you've linked to will be the content in your campaign, this doesn't bode well. The first minute of your video is a bizarre galaxy map filled with notations and overlays. It's straight out of a fever dream. I get that you've built a world and you're excited to share it, but this isn't going to draw many people in. The animation is passable, but you're trying to publish a novel, not make an animated film.

I read on your website that your target audience is visual and on the internet, so that necessitates an animated video to show off the dialogue of the novel. Why are you targeting an audience that you don't think wants your product? Who are you trying to attract to read a novel that has to be tricked with animated spaceboobs?

If your rewards are primarily t-shirts featuring the characters from the animated video, these won't be an incentive to donate. The artwork is ok for proof of concept stuff, but it's not something you should choose to represent your brand or your product. It's deviantart caliber. But maybe you have some other artwork and awesome designs that you haven't shown. But this is all beside the point that physical rewards, unless they're priced very high, are not going to do you much good. There are lots of Kickstarter "success" stories where campaigns reached their funding goal but then fell victim to fulfilling the rewards they promised and lost money. Your product is intellectual property: it costs nothing to give donators sneak peaks at your work in progress, exclusive character bios, etc.

The writing example in your Preview portion of your website has some technical concerns. Your dialogue consists of a sentence, two line breaks, then the responding sentence, often without character attribution. Has your professional editor cleared these passages yet? If not, wait for her to do so before you show this to the world. If she has, find another editor. This is the style of writing you see in creative forum posts, not the type you see in published work.

How much are you hoping to raise with the Kickstarter?
I really like the video. Everything that's there was put there by me. So I'm not sure what I'm trying to do to "trick" people. It's a video I enjoy. If others enjoy it, they will enjoy my novel. If they don't, they may not. So perhaps the novel isn't right for you, and that's totally okay. But it's not trickery. It's word-for-word from the novel. I'm pretty tickled to see the scenes visually.

You can of course get a copy of the novel as a reward. But I also have lots of t-shirts. Some renaming of characters, poster, a $1 donation, etc. I like stupid/silly t-shirts. Again, not everyone does. They are priced to make a profit and that's one of my concerns. Because I say on my kickstarter page (not visible yet) that I don't live on a cotton farm and own a t-shirt factory. I obviously had to price them above what I pay for the t-shirts. So the profit margin isn't nearly as high as promising intangible stuff, but I wanted to offer t-shirts because I personally like them and ordered some myself.

Different people have different styles of writing, said me. Some people believe every sentence should have a "Joe said, wistfully," and some people believe it's self-evident, especially when two people are talking. You establish it first, then let them go. I actually researched quite a lot of books to see how "real" authors have done it over the centuries and it's to each his/her own. The double spacing makes it a little harder because there's a gap, but the indents of true novel formatting don't show up, so it was a lot better than just smushing it all together. But I've had people tell me to take out the mass attributions in sentences and some people (such as yourself) tell me to put in more. I'm pretty happy with how it is. There's very rarely a situation where it's a ten person conversation and you can't tell who is speaking just based on their type of dialogue.

I'm trying to raise $5K.

Thanks for looking everything over.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
Hello,

I'm looking for volunteer contributors for a (mostly writing) project I'm working on. Unfortunately, due to its nature, I can't reveal too many details as of yet. The format would be blog-style, satirical, and the writing wouldn't have to be perfect (in fact, depending on your style, I may prefer it to be intentionally flawed, so as to add to the character of it.)

I realize this isn't much information to go on, but so far everyone I have approached regarding the idea (and given more details to) has said it was appealing to them either as something they'd read, or something they'd like to write for (and either are currently committed to writing for the project, or are too busy otherwise.) I don't do deadlines, and I view this as sort of a community project.

If you prefer doing graphic design work, we would welcome you with open arms and kisses (since this isn't paid, no deadlines, and very low expectations).

Anyways, if you'd like more information on the project, I can provide it on an individual basis by PM or email ( grp1mail at gmail.com )

Thanks for reading!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

DukeRustfield posted:

I'm trying to raise $5K.

Thanks for looking everything over.

You'll need an amazing pitch and great marketing to reach that goal. I think you're going to pull in under $500 from strangers. Good luck.

The Littlest Man
Jun 24, 2005

(Duke, who would want this)

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I think this is a great campaign. We get to see the band in the video, there's no pretentiousness, and it's a reasonable goal amount. My only concern is your $20 reward looks too generous.

Thanks for this! Maybe putting the button pack in the $50 reward along with the liner notes thank you would be better?

BonoMan posted:

That video is way unbalanced in audio and almost blew my ear our which just makes me mad and close the tab right away. Might want to fix that.

And thanks for this also. I knew the quality would be off because we recorded it on an old MacBook but I didn't know it was hurting peoples' ears. :( I apologize for that and am talking to the uploader right now about fixing it and/or putting a better video up. Thanks again guys!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Hey guys,

Im producing/writing/directing a Skyrim fan series and we launched the indiegogo yesterday. Theres a ton of information on the project in the description.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/330670

You can check out the teaser here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHS3c7zMmw

If you can contribute, that would be fantastic, if you can share it, that would also be fantastic. We are trying to get the word out on this series and make it something really epic.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 6, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

AccountSupervisor posted:

Hey guys,

Im producing/writing/directing a Skyrim fan series and we launched the indiegogo yesterday. Theres a ton of information on the project in the description.
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/330670

You can check out the teaser here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHS3c7zMmw

If you can contribute, that would be fantastic, if you can share it, that would also be fantastic. We are trying to get the word out on this series and make it something really epic.

When you mention rewards like "$100 - steel laser cut Imperial symbol", aren't you concerned about legal action? I probably couldn't reward people with imitation Nike sneakers for backing my Nike fan film, right? It's probably just a matter of you being too small a fish for anyone to really care about, but then again Bethesda did go after Notch for his card game "Scrolls" because they felt it was too close to their "The Elder Scrolls".

Why make an expensive high quality fan film at all? At best you make a webseries that doesn't get massive exposure so no one cares. But could you imagine if you make a really high quality product then get an injunction from the people who own this IP? The reason most fan films have low production values is because no one is being paid, because you can't really profit from them. Just make it your own IP. Skyrim is so generic that all you have to do is change the names of locations and races and you'll be free to do whatever you want. I doubt anyone has copyright on the idea of cat people, vikings, and yelling loudly enough to knock people down.

And, well, flexible funding campaign. One day goons will learn.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

You really need to proofread your pitch. There are spelling and grammatical errors all over the place. You're asking people for ten thousand dollars.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

I have to agree with everything said here, I have no idea what you're hoping to accomplish with this. Legel issues aside the video you have posted doesn't really show anything, all you have are environment shots voiced over by batman (was I the only one hearing that?).

Don't get me wrong I love the concept, the live action commercial Bethesda made was awesome. I'll echo the advice to create 1-2 episodes on your own dime, and then approach people for cash.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

When you mention rewards like "$100 - steel laser cut Imperial symbol", aren't you concerned about legal action? I probably couldn't reward people with imitation Nike sneakers for backing my Nike fan film, right? It's probably just a matter of you being too small a fish for anyone to really care about, but then again Bethesda did go after Notch for his card game "Scrolls" because they felt it was too close to their "The Elder Scrolls".

Why make an expensive high quality fan film at all? At best you make a webseries that doesn't get massive exposure so no one cares. But could you imagine if you make a really high quality product then get an injunction from the people who own this IP? The reason most fan films have low production values is because no one is being paid, because you can't really profit from them. Just make it your own IP. Skyrim is so generic that all you have to do is change the names of locations and races and you'll be free to do whatever you want. I doubt anyone has copyright on the idea of cat people, vikings, and yelling loudly enough to knock people down.

And, well, flexible funding campaign. One day goons will learn.

We modeled our campaign after things like Fallout: Nuka Break and Fallout: Lanius. While Nuka Break had a short already made to help with the funding, Fallout: Lanius only had a small teaser and raised a good amount.

Legal concerns are an issue, but its a gray area and so far game studios are generally ok with fan film fundraising. They offered similar products for their perks and were not shut down. We are fully prepared to deal with the possibility of being shut down though.

But no one is being paid for this, every dime go towards the cost of the production resources. Plus, the people who are making the props already make Skyrim replicas and they make a profit off of the IP and dont get shut down so we arent worried that because we are giving those props away they will do that.

Yes I know, why a fan film just make your own IP. Well, this is a passion project. I direct and work for other films but Im a huuuuge Elder Scrolls nerd and I really want to make a Skyrim fan series in the vein of Nuka Break. Its just for fun. We went to indiegogo for help with the funding because we have a lot of cool props and talent on board and its not cheap commisioning replica props and costumes. While Im fully prepared to fund this if it fails, we planned to sell the props and costumes after the production anyways so we figured doing an indiegogo would give us an extra financial boost.

We also did flexible funding because regardless if our funding fails, this is being made. Money has already been spent, production is already underway and the indiegogo is to help with the production costs we still have to take care of.

Seriously though thank you so much for your criticism and Im sorry you didnt enjoy the teaser. Youve seen my other films, Jalumibnkrayal and given me good crit so thanks again for that. This has been really helpful. Hopefully we can show you guys once it made that this will be worth it.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 7, 2013

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Hi there. I'm going to be running a crowd funding campaign real soon and I'd like to get some feedback on what I'm putting together. At the moment I have a video, a written pitch and my overall scheme for rewards. I have not tried to go for 'goodies' with my rewards, but rather access to the final product, alpha/beta access, that sort of thing. I'm going to be using Pozible, an Australian version of Kickstarter, because I don't have the resources to get all the things I'd need to get on Kickstarter (American LLC, bank account), where as Pozible links straight in to Paypal and my Australian business account.

This is the video, the password to view it is 'cephalopod':
https://vimeo.com/58819585

While not final, it is essentially what I want in terms of content. The video footage is a problem, I don't have access to any decent cameras (this is just a lovely camcorder thing) and am torn on taking the video to a location rather than a flat white background.

Written Pitch posted:

Have trouble getting control -- and keeping control -- of your life ? Spread out over too many applications? Have you given up on systems that just take too much effort to stay up to date?

ELEPHANT is here to change that. It's a web application that consolidates all the important parts of a 'Getting Things Done' system: note-taking, calendars, next actions, and projects. Rather than using countless dropdowns and text fields to enter your data, Elephant converts your notes into useful information, keeping everything organised and easy to find.

Whenever you type in notes, Elephant turns them into calendar entries and tasks for you to work through later. Use @Contexts, #Topics and +Contacts to further organise your lists and journals. You can try it all out for yourself at:
http://elephantneverforgets.com.au

What is this campaign for?
I want to take the offline prototype I've made of Elephant, and expand it into a full service that covers Desktop and Mobile, with synchronisation and backup. The target of this campaign, $25,000, would give me enough time and resources to realise this vision. Here are the details:

Desktop / Tablet Web Application
A web application focused on the Desktop, but also responsive and compatible with a Tablet browser. All information would be kept offline, and synced to the server whenever possible, so you won't be stuck without your system when the network goes down.

The application covers every aspect of the GTD process.

Inbox
Collection of unprocessed ideas. In Elephant, you can make quick notes on Desktop or Mobile, that you can later process properly using the plain text interface. An API would be developed to support services like IFTTT, so you'll be able to pull in data from other sources, like Facebook, e-mails, or RSS feed articles.

That way, you can start to really consolidate your inboxes from various applications, and create a good pipeline for processing them.

Processing
Take the entries from your inbox and process them into your system, using the plain text interface to make calendar events, actions, and projects. Elephant automatically takes those entries and organises them however you like. Anything can be given a reminder tag, whether it's a task, a calendar, or a journal entry, so you can safely put things off, knowing a reliable reminder will come to you in time.

Organising
Elephant handles the organisation process for you; all you have to do is tag appropriately using @Contexts, #Topics and +Contacts. You can edit items, or drag and drop to quickly reorder projects, rearrange your calendar, or send tasks to different lists. You make the big divisions of your life using Notebooks, each of which has its own journal, calendar, actions, and projects.

Reference
Readily-available access to up-to-date task lists, calendars, and the day's agenda. Support Material can be easily associated with projects so the information you need is readily available, and using +Contacts tags allows you to link up phone numbers and emails with tasks and calendar events. This is the key to making Elephant useful: smart defaults that significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to search for the information you need right now.

Review
Assistance in keeping in control of your life. An important part of the GTD process is reviewing your system to ensure you're capturing everything, and not letting things get lost in the system. Elephant will help this process by highlighting stalled projects, tasks that have been active for too long, and projects without any next actions.

Mobile Web Application
A web application focused on the functions that you’d need when on the go. Like the desktop app, it would keep information in offline storage to improve performance and ensure it can be used even without a network connection. This is not a feature-for-feature match for the desktop version; rather, it's a complement that focuses on the typical use cases for a GTD system when you’re out and about.

Quick Entry
Quickly record notes into your inbox as simple plain text, or create calendar, action and project entries as required. This will be an adaptation of the plain text interface, modifying it as necessary to make mobile entry easier so there will be plenty of autocompletion and sensible templates.

Quick Reference
Get everything you need to keep on top of your day, as you’re living it. Quick access to your day’s agenda, your calendar, and lists of your next actions, sorted by @Contexts. There will also be a general search function for looking through your notes and project support material, so you can recall information as you need it.

Web Service
The web server will always be working in the background to backup and synchronise changes while you’re working with the mobile and desktop application. This will also allow for more comprehensive notification support (including emails), an API that will allow connection with services like IFTTT, and synchronisation with services such as Google Calendar and Contacts. On release, I’d aim to have an API for the service, and synchronization features for Google Calendar and Contacts at the minimum.

The service would have an ad-supported free version with a reasonable level of functionality, and then a premium subscription version aiming to hit a price point between $20 to $40 a year for the average user. Establishing the right balance against running and development costs would be one of the priorities of alpha and beta testing, to ensure that the application is long-term sustainable.

Beyond the Campaign Goal
This campaign will get the above service up and running, but my long-term goal is to turn this into a sustainable business, and continue to improve it for the needs of the users. Here’s a few concepts that are already in the planning stages.

Mobile Application Improvements
Work towards developing a PhoneGap / Native application, to take advantage of more mobile features such as push notifications and alerts, geofencing and speech-to-text.

Interaction with more services and APIs
Increase the amount of options available for connecting your Elephant data with other services.

GTD Training Wheels
Incorporate various ways for the application to help you get used to a GTD-style system, with an automated review system that will help keep you disciplined and in charge of it.

What is the money for?
The main thing the money will go towards is buying me time to work on this project full-time. At present, I’m a stay-at-home dad; with a guaranteed cash flow to support my family, I will be able to move into full-time work, and concentrate on developing Elephant into the best service that it can be. Without this money I will not be able to complete this project, and will have to relegate it to my spare time.

A small amount of the funds will go to buying a tablet for compatibility and interaction testing, and to service costs for hosting Elephant during its alpha and beta period.

What rewards are there for making a pledge?
Aside from my unending gratitude for supporting the project, you’ll also receive subscription credit for the premium service once Elephant is released. At the $30 and $50 pledge levels you’ll receive access to the closed Beta and Alpha, respectively.

The project's first major milestone will be the Closed Alpha testing period, which will start as soon as the minimum usable product is ready for Desktop and Mobile. The Closed Beta period will begin when the bulk of the features are implemented, and will be focused on polishing the existing feature set, and on making sure the application scales well and provides a stable bug-free experience.

Higher reward tiers will receive unlimited access to Elephant for the lifetime of the service. The highest reward tier also gets a direct line of communication with development, receiving weekly progress reports as soon as the project begins.

Who are you and what experience do you have?
My name is James Rakich, and I work under the business name Full and By Design. For eight years, I worked as a mariner, working and managing a square-rigged sailing ship as a Bosun and a Chief Officer. I did a lot of small client work on the side as a web designer and developer; and 2 years ago decided to hang up the sea boots and work for myself so I could be at home with my family.

I decided to start building applications that solved problems I had encountered in my professional life as a mariner. My first major project was building Spanner, an online planned maintenance system for ships. Entirely designed and developed by me, it is currently being trialled with smaller vessels I have a direct line of contact with.

Elephant is a project I’ve wanted to do for a long time, to address a lot of the problems I found in GTD applications during my maritime career. In building the Elephant prototype, I have developed my web technologies skillset to the point where I feel confident in delivering the full application in a timely manner.

Risk and Challenges
Offline Storage Support
The HTML5 specification is in a state of flux, with IndexedDB being the latest standard. This means offline storage is a moving target at present, since WebSQL is the standard on most mobile browsers and IndexedDB only has solid support on Firefox and Chrome. That said, the application will not be hardcoded to any one standard, thereby allowing it to keep up with changing requirements.

Mobile Performance and Offline Storage
Building a fast and responsive mobile web application may require certain tradeoffs to ensure it works as expected. It may not be possible to store all of your Elephant data at once for offline functionality; if this happens, then the lowest priority will be assigned to completed tasks and old journal entries, which will therefore only be accessible when online. This will not affect the immediate information you’d require, such as agendas or current action lists.

Interaction with outside services
Interaction with external services (Google applications, IFTTT, etc.) are dependent on the terms of use of the various corporate APIs, and on being able to establish working relationships with the companies as applicable. Once the campaign is successful, all effort will be made to secure these services ahead of release, but building with someone else's service means you have to work within their business requirements.

Pledge Rewards posted:

A$10 + Reward
12 dollars of Subscription Credit for the official release of Elephant.

A$20 + Reward
25 dollars of subscription credit for the official release of Elephant.

A$30 + Reward
40 dollars of subscription credit for the official release of Elephant. Access to the closed Beta.

A$50 + Reward
70 dollars of subscription credit for the official release of Elephant. Access to the closed Beta and Alpha of Elephant.

A$250 + Reward
Unlimited Access for the full life of Elephant as a service. Access to the closed Beta and Alpha of Elephant.

A$500 + Reward
Direct line of communication with development, with weekly updates on progress.
Unlimited Access for the full life of Elephant as a service. Access to the closed Beta and Alpha of Elephant.

I'm aware that this is quite a sizable target. It's what I need to make the project happen, and I'm basically at the point where either I achieve this level of funding or I drop the project to my spare time only in search of an income for my family. I am confident I can complete the project if the campaign is successful, but it's a case of being able to prove that, and getting people to buy into it.

So what do you think? And how can I improve it?

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 7, 2013

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Maluco Marinero posted:

I remember your first thread about this project, and I'll make the same suggestion:

Work on the UI and the design of your website. Make it mobile friendly. You are asking for $25,000 dollars, and the website looks like its from the 90's.

Also, why should I use this vs. things like Apples reminders, calanders, & notes (synced through iCloud). Lately the trend has been to seperate multiple functions into seperate apps which focus on doing that one thing better.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Maluco Marinero posted:

So right off the bat I love the concept. The video and prototype website are rough beyond measure, but I'm able to see through it to the true usability. And that, like you mentioned, is the ability to have an almost stream of conscious entry of information that is intuitively parsed by the program. It's almost a little code-esque. It took me very little time to get the hang of it.

In terms of presentation you absolutely must get somebody to help you with the video and website. Both are a mess which get in the way of the true potential. I don't know what you can do to fix that. Do you have any friends with better cameras? Use better angles. Raise the camera up so you're not looking down at it. Get the lens eye level. Redo the shots from different depths...wide/medium/close-up and cut between those as you're editing. That way you're visually breaking up the rhythm while you're delivering large amounts of narration. It makes it easier to digest. Edit out the bits of you walking to the camera to stop it from recording (and similar things). Just make that tighter.

The website I can't help you with, but it doesn't even feel functional. Partly because there doesn't seem to be a lot of compartmentalization. I mean there is technically, but the site visually is just objects floating on a white background and it becomes hard to figure out where you are, how to get back to where you came from, and what parts are actually functional on the page your visiting.

The idea is solid. I'd focus on the ease of use of entering info and having the system parse it for you. Show that more. Do some compare and contrasts to other systems. The split view design (code/design) you have going is nice to.

I'm rambling at this point but..presentation presentation presentation!

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Oh My Science posted:

I remember your first thread about this project, and I'll make the same suggestion:

Work on the UI and the design of your website. Make it mobile friendly. You are asking for $25,000 dollars, and the website looks like its from the 90's.
Noted.

quote:

Also, why should I use this vs. things like Apples reminders, calanders, & notes (synced through iCloud). Lately the trend has been to seperate multiple functions into seperate apps which focus on doing that one thing better.
Most of these solutions really lock you into having only a single platform the whole way down for your stuff. Personal Tasks and Projects management is a space that has a LOT of this problem, and most of the applications are quite expensive at every step. The full OmniFocus suite from desktop to mobile will set you back $80 + $40 + $20 and is Mac only.

You also can't do complex task management on Apple Reminders, it's just not the way it's designed. With everything being separated as much as it is, it's harder to link up Project Support Material, evaluate your whole day on a single page, or forecast your week accurately. These solutions are all reasonable when you don't have too much going on, but if you're serious about getting your entire life into the system you hit a wall of complexity that makes it hard to keep on top of things. You spend more time managing your system than doing all the things your system says you should be doing.

I could be wrong on all this of course, but obviously I don't think so.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

BonoMan posted:

In terms of presentation you absolutely must get somebody to help you with the video and website. Both are a mess which get in the way of the true potential. I don't know what you can do to fix that. Do you have any friends with better cameras? Use better angles. Raise the camera up so you're not looking down at it. Get the lens eye level. Redo the shots from different depths...wide/medium/close-up and cut between those as you're editing. That way you're visually breaking up the rhythm while you're delivering large amounts of narration. It makes it easier to digest. Edit out the bits of you walking to the camera to stop it from recording (and similar things). Just make that tighter.
Aye, I wasn't going to leave in the walk to the camera stuff, but I get what you're saying with regards to breaking up the rhythm. I'm trying to get a hold of a better camera and someone to help film, living within $100 - $200 of our family income doesn't help my options on this but I'm trying.

quote:

The website I can't help you with, but it doesn't even feel functional. Partly because there doesn't seem to be a lot of compartmentalization. I mean there is technically, but the site visually is just objects floating on a white background and it becomes hard to figure out where you are, how to get back to where you came from, and what parts are actually functional on the page your visiting.
Hmm. I can fix this, I've been hoping to get by on what I have but as long as the layout isn't too much of a disaster I can get stuck into improving this.

quote:

The idea is solid. I'd focus on the ease of use of entering info and having the system parse it for you. Show that more. Do some compare and contrasts to other systems. The split view design (code/design) you have going is nice to.
I'm not sure if I'm legally allowed to do side by side demonstrations of other applications. Anyway you think I should show more of the application in the pitch, yeah?

Also, just ignoring the above advice, is the idea and pitch convincing enough that you would pledge for it? You personally. I understand that my presentation has a very long way to go, but am I showing enough that you believe I'd be able to deliver what I'm promising?

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Try and look into twitter bootstrap or zurb foundation for style guides and responsive design. They are easy to use, free, and you should be able to throw something together quickly. If you have any questions they have great documentation and communities, or toss me a PM, I don't mind answering general web questions.

I do like the idea, I'm just entrenched in the Apple Eco-system. I'll keep an eye on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm only tangentially related to this one (ADing) but one of my friends from film school is adapting an SCP Foundation story for his final project. He's been working with the guys who run the site as well as the original author of the story, and with any luck will be able to make the first actually good film version of one of these things. His pitch video shows more about it than I can do justice here, and he already has a short scene in there for it. So if you're interested in SCP stuff, check it out. By the way, it's flexible funding because, as a school project, it's going to get made regardless of how much money he gets. So if he only gets $100 it'll still exist in some form, just not as good as it could have been if he hit his goal. If you've got any questions feel free to ask me and I can relay them to him.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/stairwell/x/2267777