Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

One last question about FV.

Say I buy a raid weapon that is normally no-drop on any other server. When I copy that over to Test, will it become no drop?

Like if I wanted to buy a high level raid weapon for a SK. Would the only way to get that weapon onto a SK on Test be to create the SK on live, hand him the weapon, then copy him over and level him on Test?

Sorry if my wording is confusing, I'm still new to all this FV stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

RCarr posted:

One last question about FV.

Say I buy a raid weapon that is normally no-drop on any other server. When I copy that over to Test, will it become no drop?

Like if I wanted to buy a high level raid weapon for a SK. Would the only way to get that weapon onto a SK on Test be to create the SK on live, hand him the weapon, then copy him over and level him on Test?

Correct on both counts! That's what I did with my SK, and how I have those sweet weapons on Test. I would offer them to you for testcopying, but they're on a character that's locked out due to Gold restrictions.

Edit: With 300-500k, it's almost not worth the hassle of doing that. Maybe get one really good level 70 weapon - but at level 80 and up, you would probably have to pay a shitload to get a significant upgrade. And Hammer of Greatness at 80 is still pretty great.

This is best Lev70 weapon that I found for cheap when I was doing my nodrop shopping on FV: Warspear of Vexation

I couldn't find anything that beat HoG for Lev 80 for cheap, and didn't look much higher level than that.

Devor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 6, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Devor, I have an enchanter that just hit 79 that I would like to get to at least 80 and then kitted out in Abstruse (Mindbroken). I am on Test; is there any way that you can help me out? Our guild bank has thousands of Dream Motes and I am sure that I can get a staff like Eclipse easily enough, but the Abstruse has been something of a sticking point. I think that I have one wrist, the boots, and the trousers lined up, but the rest is up in the air.

I only have about 50k on Luclin Live myself, and I have had no luck selling any of my Gold Tickets, so anything that you can do would be very helpful.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Devor posted:

With 300-500k, it's almost not worth the hassle of doing that. Maybe get one really good level 70 weapon - but at level 80 and up, you would probably have to pay a shitload to get a significant upgrade. And Hammer of Greatness at 80 is still pretty great.

This is best Lev70 weapon that I found for cheap when I was doing my nodrop shopping on FV: Warspear of Vexation

For comparison's sake, how much does the Hammer of Greatness sell for on FV? What about the Warspear you linked? When you say cheap do you mean 20k or 200k? I'm just trying to get an idea on prices.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

Devor, I have an enchanter that just hit 79 that I would like to get to at least 80 and then kitted out in Abstruse (Mindbroken). I am on Test; is there any way that you can help me out? Our guild bank has thousands of Dream Motes and I am sure that I can get a staff like Eclipse easily enough, but the Abstruse has been something of a sticking point. I think that I have one wrist, the boots, and the trousers lined up, but the rest is up in the air.

I only have about 50k on Luclin Live myself, and I have had no luck selling any of my Gold Tickets, so anything that you can do would be very helpful.

If you get the immaculate silk templates for the pieces you're missing on Test (either copy from Luclin or get them on Test somehow) you can send them on Test via Parcel to [edit: please send to Devtestbank instead], and then let me know in this thread, plus your enchanter's name. I'll fill whatever templates you send me the next day - one thing I would ask is try to just do 1 or 2 batches instead of trickling the templates one at a time every day.

Edit:

RCarr posted:

For comparison's sake, how much does the Hammer of Greatness sell for on FV? What about the Warspear you linked? When you say cheap do you mean 20k or 200k? I'm just trying to get an idea on prices.

I don't think I paid more than 5k for anything, including that weapon. Maybe 10k at most, I had to earn all my cash from scratch selling defiant and whatnot. And for the Hammer of Greatness, I bought it on Povar since it's much cheaper on Live servers. I'm pretty sure the Hammer is included in the care package that jetz0r or someone copies over pretty frequently, you should be able to find that for free via goonerosity on Test.

More edits:

Just checked FV bazaar:
Warspear of Vexation can be had for 3k
The only Lev80 I see that beats the HoG is Unneksteel Greataxe[160dam/33dly], for 1M, and HoG is 155/36, so it's not like the difference is huge.

Devor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 8, 2013

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I did a bit of parsing today on my level 78 threebox team and ended up with some pretty sad results. My monk (no discs, but with stunning kick/clawstriker) does about 600dps, less than my J1 rogue merc at 800dps. What really surprised me was my mage's air pet did 800dps as well by itself. Are monks this mediocre now or am I missing something?

Also is there a way to make my mage's pet automatically assist the tank or main assist? Because Jebabtik is apparently my MVP.

acumen fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 7, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Devor posted:

Just checked FV bazaar:
Warspear of Vexation can be had for 3k
The only Lev80 I see that beats the HoG is Unneksteel Greataxe[160dam/33dly], for 1M, and HoG is 155/36, so it's not like the difference is huge.

Awesome, thanks.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

acumen posted:

I did a bit of parsing today on my level 78 threebox team and ended up with some pretty sad results. My monk (no discs, but with stunning kick/clawstriker) does about 600dps, less than my J1 rogue merc at 800dps. What really surprised me was my mage's air pet did 800dps as well by itself. Are monks this mediocre now or am I missing something?

Also is there a way to make my mage's pet automatically assist the tank or main assist? Because Jebabtik is apparently my MVP.
At level 80 with upgraded gear the Monk's DPS should at least double. Mercs scale all the way, but in the high 70's you're probably bursting for a gear upgrade.

I remember using a rogue merc for a bit on a high 80's Bard. My Monk in the low 90's at that point did at least double the rogue mercs' DPS. I can't tell how it scales on all levels and gear though.

Please be aware that when you google monk DPS and read forum posts, it is ALL bitter raiders whose sole goal is to be in the top DPS spot, and call monks useless because they aren't, and perhaps don't have so much raid utility anymore. It does not matter one bit to non-raiders such as us. :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

acumen posted:

Do your macros use player names? For me, Devoree is always the Main Assist, so my assist macros are:

/assist Devoree

If I had a Magician, I would add a /pet kill in there

/assist Devoree
/pause 5 [maybe unnecessary? add this only if it doesn't work if you leave it out]
/pet kill

Also, make sure you type /assist off once on your mage since you probably don't want to turn the mage's autoattack on every time you assist.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

At level 80 with upgraded gear the Monk's DPS should at least double. Mercs scale all the way, but in the high 70's you're probably bursting for a gear upgrade.

I remember using a rogue merc for a bit on a high 80's Bard. My Monk in the low 90's at that point did at least double the rogue mercs' DPS. I can't tell how it scales on all levels and gear though.

Please be aware that when you google monk DPS and read forum posts, it is ALL bitter raiders whose sole goal is to be in the top DPS spot, and call monks useless because they aren't, and perhaps don't have so much raid utility anymore. It does not matter one bit to non-raiders such as us. :)

Ah okay this is a relief. I didn't really want to give up on my monk.

I have a /pet attack assist macro on my mage but I'm lazy and was wondering if it would just go automatically like mercs do. I didn't think there was a way but it was worth a shot; one of the greatest things about EQ is all the little hidden details.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can anyone send Kavinsky some plat? I copied over a friend's 95 SK and going to start pl'ing a bard, but don't even have enough plat to summon merc. I'll PL some goons with me when I'm on.

Also any bard gear, HoT and above specifically I'd appreciate and repay with PL'ing.

Hollow Hills fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 7, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So what's the deal with my SK's melee crits - I get a TON of them at exactly 1350 - is there some sort of damage cap action going on, like when a level 10 tries to use a beefy weapon and it only acts like a 10 damage weapon? I've maxed out the Crit AA, and the Crit Damage AA if it makes a difference.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Hollow Hills posted:

Can anyone send Kavinsky some plat? I copied over a friend's 95 SK and going to start pl'ing a bard, but don't even have enough plat to summon merc. I'll PL some goons with me when I'm on.

Sent you some monies. Totally down for some PL.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks, whenever you're on just send Kavinsky a tell and we'll see what we can do, if you sent one already I was playing without having the filters on so didn't see anything, have it set up now.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Devor posted:

If you get the immaculate silk templates for the pieces you're missing on Test (either copy from Luclin or get them on Test somehow) you can send them on Test via Parcel to Devoree [my shadowknight who won't get overwritten], and then let me know in this thread, plus your enchanter's name. I'll fill whatever templates you send me the next day - one thing I would ask is try to just do 1 or 2 batches instead of trickling the templates one at a time every day.

I was able to get most of a set just a bit ago, so my enchanter Tingal sent you templates just for what I have left. If you could finish the set for me, that would be great.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've just hit 71 on test - At what level should I look at doing things other than exp/AAs ? For example the stuff for the better Mercs ?

Any suggestions of "Don't miss this !" stuff ?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're a melee plowing through Paw at 80 to catch up on AAs is very lucrative as having HoT gear in there makes you practically a walking god. It honestly also depends on what you're playing too. If you're a tank find some place you can sit and start grinding AA. The hole in the temple is good for this if you find people who aren't horking the entire place with afk mercs. But otherwise no not really. I'd recommend a fair amount of AA if you aren't getting PL'd and soloing for the most part but boxes can get away with less.

Just suffer through J1s until you get to about 85, then you can consider doing J5. The SoD quests to get J2-J4 are in no way worth it.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Currently I'm solo/moloing a 71 Beastlord with around 800AAs - gears is appropriate defiant and epic 1.5.

I think I'm good on AAs for now, so will look at getting upto say level 75 and then reassess.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anybody tried using MQ on test? Don't want to bother downloading/compiling if it's just going to not work half the time.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Baconroll posted:

Currently I'm solo/moloing a 71 Beastlord with around 800AAs - gears is appropriate defiant and epic 1.5.

I think I'm good on AAs for now, so will look at getting upto say level 75 and then reassess.

Level to 80. Get HoT gear and rape paw for mad AA exp.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Hollow Hills posted:

Has anybody tried using MQ on test? Don't want to bother downloading/compiling if it's just going to not work half the time.

Test uses a different .exe, so the offsets are different from what the main MQ2 branch attempts to access. I know Maskoi's supposedly talking to someone about getting a Test compile actively maintained, and I think MMOBugs still does maintain one, but both of those are behind pay walls. If you know how to pull the offsets out of the Test .exe, and know how to build MQ2 out to use them properly, you can get it working, but the Test .exe changes so frequently that it's a major PITA.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby
Would it be possible to get a care package for my SK, Carrack, on Test? He's 73 at the moment but climbing steadily. Some armor and a weapon would be awesome when he hits 80. :)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Viivac posted:

Would it be possible to get a care package for my SK, Carrack, on Test? He's 73 at the moment but climbing steadily. Some armor and a weapon would be awesome when he hits 80. :)

When I get a chance to copy over I can send you full abstruse, hammer of greatness, and a 1h/shield for 80. I think I have a couple rings and a range item too. The rest you can buy with dream motes.

edit: Also whoever is Tallapai / Underbheit... I looked on all my characters for the level 85 knight 1hander, but it looks like I don't have it on live I only have the 2h 85 weapon on live. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 7, 2013

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Devor posted:

So what's the deal with my SK's melee crits - I get a TON of them at exactly 1350 - is there some sort of damage cap action going on, like when a level 10 tries to use a beefy weapon and it only acts like a 10 damage weapon? I've maxed out the Crit AA, and the Crit Damage AA if it makes a difference.

All characters have a damage range they hit in. It will change with weapon, aa, gear. I don't know if PC work the exact same way as NPC, but if they do EQ calculates damage by assigning you a damage base and a damage bonus. Then actual damage done = db + damage bonus * rand(1-20). The random number is influenced by atk vs ac and a few other things.

Devor posted:

If you get the immaculate silk templates for the pieces you're missing on Test (either copy from Luclin or get them on Test somehow) you can send them on Test via Parcel to Devoree [my shadowknight who won't get overwritten], and then let me know in this thread, plus your enchanter's name. I'll fill whatever templates you send me the next day - one thing I would ask is try to just do 1 or 2 batches instead of trickling the templates one at a time every day.

If you're able to make this for a necromancer that'd be great. I probably only really want the chest, but I'll check to see if I can find any templates in the bazaar.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Well I logged onto my buddies account on FV and of course all his plat is on a character that is only available with a gold membership. I will upgrade to gold sometime in the next week. JustJeff88, if you still need your stuff then I will grab it for you first thing.

VenimeuxHaine
Mar 22, 2012
If you know what character it's on it's cheaper to buy the race and class than it is to pay for a month of gold I think.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I thought about that, but I'm just going to pay the $15 so I can make multiple characters for easy testcopying and won't have to worry about any of the hassles of not having a gold membership.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm nearing 80 on my three characters and from what I understand at that point there's a bit more to the game than just kill things and watch your bars go up. Could anyone give me a run-down on where to go and what quests I need to do?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Depending on your classes, you might want to get your 2.0s, you could do some of the quests in Dragons of Norrath for the stat upgrades those provide but honestly hitting 80 if you have an abstruse/80 set lined up is probably one of the biggest power leaps you'll get in this game. 85 is pretty good too but I'd argue there's nothing that makes you feel like a boss more than taking a melee class into paw and abusing the entire zone.

2.0s so good you really don't want to miss them:

- SK
- Necro
- Cleric
- Berserker
- Rogue

Nice to have 2.0s:

- Bard
- Monk
- Shaman
- Ranger

The rest are okay to terrible with druids 2.0 being garbage tier. :(

Stanos fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 7, 2013

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

JustJeff88, if you still need your stuff then I will grab it for you first thing.

Thank you for keeping me in mind, but through some good luck and generosity, I have almost finished his abstruse set and now just need the gloves to get full Mindbroken armour.

What I could use, if anyone has one, is a good caster shield. My wizard has this great little number called a Guard of Tangible Thought that he is no longer using because I got him to 82 and he is using a 2-handed staff that I got in Erudin Burning, but it is attuned to him and I do not have nearly enough loyalty to buy an anattuning device from the vendor. Also, my wizard has this ring called a Golden Band of the Traveler that drops in The Dream (along with a slightly better version, Diggory's Rang) and clicks an AC buff, but is usable by ALL/ALL. I would love to get another one of those for my enchanter and druid, but I have only seen that ring once, and that was when I bought it for my wizard.

Also, is anyone copying Planar Doughnuts (especially) and/or Tea of the Shard to Test? The HP and Mana are nice, of course, but all of that extra AC would be brilliant for my SK.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Stanos posted:

Depending on your classes, you might want to get your 2.0s, you could do some of the quests in Dragons of Norrath for the stat upgrades those provide but honestly hitting 80 if you have an abstruse/80 set lined up is probably one of the biggest power leaps you'll get in this game. 85 is pretty good too but I'd argue there's nothing that makes you feel like a boss more than taking a melee class into paw and abusing the entire zone.

- SK
- Necro
- Cleric
- Berserker
- Rogue

Nice to have 2.0s:

- Bard
- Monk
- Shaman
- Ranger

The rest are okay to terrible with druids 2.0 being garbage tier. :(

Thanks a bunch for this. I only have a few odd pieces of abstruse here or there. Is there a similar tier and/or where do I acquire more?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Also, is anyone copying Planar Doughnuts (especially) and/or Tea of the Shard to Test? The HP and Mana are nice, of course, but all of that extra AC would be brilliant for my SK.

I occasionally see a bunch of planar donuts up on the test bazaar.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Stanos posted:

Depending on your classes, you might want to get your 2.0s

- Rogue

I had no idea the Rogue 2.0 was good. It looked pretty mediocre on allakhazam, but based on your username I'll take your word for it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I thought the quest was fun and it's like the zerker epic where you click it when you're DPSing and its a nice addition to whatever you're doing. It could be a lot worse. :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

I was able to get most of a set just a bit ago, so my enchanter Tingal sent you templates just for what I have left. If you could finish the set for me, that would be great.

Sent you the gloves - the boots got kicked back for lore so I guess you already got some, I'll just throw them on the bazaar for any other needy people.

Vomik posted:

If you're able to make this for a necromancer that'd be great. I probably only really want the chest, but I'll check to see if I can find any templates in the bazaar.

Same deal as with Jeff, if you can get leather/silk templates on Test, I can make you whatever you need. Just parcel them to me, and post in this thread - please use Devtestbank as the parcel recipient, I just realized it's a pain in the butt to drag my SK out of what he's doing.

acumen posted:

Thanks a bunch for this. I only have a few odd pieces of abstruse here or there. Is there a similar tier and/or where do I acquire more?

If you're a chain or plate class, I can make you whatever you need on Test - just tell me what class, what pieces you want, and the name to send it to. If it's silk or leather, I can make any pieces if you provide the immaculate silk template, or immaculate leather template.

If you're curious, this is the guide for making the House of Thule Armor, of which Abstruse is the lowest tier.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:house_of_thule_armor_guide

Bottom line is you need a NoDrop remnant dropped from high level zone rare spawns [the annoying part, which I have a set of for testcopying], a droppable template that is created by player tradeskills, and two things that can be bought from an easy-to-find vendor for like 2kpp.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Devor posted:

Sent you the gloves - the boots got kicked back for lore so I guess you already got some, I'll just throw them on the bazaar for any other needy people.

Yes, the boots came from a TestGoon this morning, but thank you for the Gloves - that completes the set. Now I need to find a shield and upgrade some of this T1 non-visible with the stuff that has fun clicks on it. :dance:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I just sent Devtestbank full sets of leather and silk immaculate templates. I will love you forever if you make the leather armour for Acuity and silk for Yoricc. If you're really extra bored then my bard could use some plate too but he's just a songbot anyway.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

acumen posted:

I just sent Devtestbank full sets of leather and silk immaculate templates. I will love you forever if you make the leather armour for Acuity and silk for Yoricc. If you're really extra bored then my bard could use some plate too but he's just a songbot anyway.

No problem, it'll probably be tomorrow and Saturday. If you tell me your bard's name, I'll put him on my list with low priority and let other people butt in front of him if you like. But it probably wouldn't be too long.

Edit: From your previous posts I assume Acuity is a Monk, and Yoricc is a Magician. If not, speak up quick!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

No problem, it'll probably be tomorrow and Saturday. If you tell me your bard's name, I'll put him on my list with low priority and let other people butt in front of him if you like. But it probably wouldn't be too long.

Edit: From your previous posts I assume Acuity is a Monk, and Yoricc is a Magician. If not, speak up quick!

Yeah, Acuity is a monk, Yoricc mage, and Chadman is my bard. If he's low on the priority that's perfect. Thanks again man!

edit: I just bought a bunch of bard abstruse which I realized after a few pieces was by you. Did I just steal someone else's stuff? If not then my bard is good to go now I guess.

acumen fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Devor posted:

Same deal as with Jeff, if you can get leather/silk templates on Test, I can make you whatever you need. Just parcel them to me, and post in this thread - please use Devtestbank as the parcel recipient, I just realized it's a pain in the butt to drag my SK out of what he's doing.

poo poo sorry I had already sent it to devoree with a note necromancer for horkos. I can try to get another set to send if it's too annoying.