Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Why isn't the Google Car Home app available on versions past 2.x without sideloading, and why do the other two options on the Play store look so ugly? Are people on ICS/JB using something other than an actual car home app for car stuff? Is there some way to make larger icons on a particular launcher panel?

Also, downloaded Tasker. What is this nonsense I don't understand the UI at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Cruseydr posted:

So you don't allow Google Unified Messaging (GUM?) messages to come to you as an SMS, and when you send it would use data. The whole point is that you shouldn't have to care how the message gets to the other person..

Doesn't all of this unified messaging stuff rely on the Google Voice infrastructure, otherwise how are they going to send texts to people in your name which appear to come from your phone number? If that's the case, then I guess this is firmly US-only for the moment.

fivre posted:

Why isn't the Google Car Home app available on versions past 2.x without sideloading, and why do the other two options on the Play store look so ugly? Are people on ICS/JB using something other than an actual car home app for car stuff? Is there some way to make larger icons on a particular launcher panel?

Have you seen/tried InDrive?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cruseydr posted:

So you don't allow Google Unified Messaging (GUM?) messages to come to you as an SMS, and when you send it would use data. The whole point is that you shouldn't have to care how the message gets to the other person..

You're looking at this from an opposite direction. You are looking at this from a server side infrastructure thing whereas I'm looking at it from a client side messaging aggregation app.

Some people send me talk messages, some send me SMS messages, some (rarely) send me facebook messages. If someone sends me an SMS message, that goes through the carrier. Google has no control over that to say "oh this should come as data." That would only work if you were using google voice as your phone number and that's just not feasible for a whole lot of people.

I just want Hangouts and Talk merged into one service and have one application that handles Talk, SMS, and Google Voice.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rolleyes posted:

Have you seen/tried InDrive?

Thanks. Shame that only the ugly ones show up with a search for "Car Home".

Anyone have a verdict for InDrive over Car Dashboard?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

rolleyes posted:

Doesn't all of this unified messaging stuff rely on the Google Voice infrastructure, otherwise how are they going to send texts to people in your name which appear to come from your phone number?

It'll be like Apple's messaging. If two people are both signed into unified messaging, and you send a messages between each other it uses Google's protocol. If you send a message to a Facebook contact that isn't on Google's Unified Messaging, it sends a message over Facebook. If you send a message to a mobile number that also isn't logged into Google Unified Messaging, it sends a normal text message. It can do all this seamlessly, without the user knowing or caring how the message gets sent. Ideally it should even be able to prioritize between SMS or other methods, depending on whether you are on WiFi, 3G, or whatever.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Jellybean broke car mode. Google disabled intercepting the home button, so when you hit home in Car Mode it takes you to your normal launcher instead of Car Mode. Rendering it pretty useless and kind of unsafe.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 6, 2013

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/02/04/is-this-the-icon-for-a-new-all-in-one-messaging-service-from-google/

Well holy poo poo.

I think they're finally doing it.

Finally.

I remember them talking about this at Google I/O 2012.

Maybe we'll see the death of Messenger, Messaging, Talk, and rebranding of Voice into some new thing?

Sorry, your unified messaging system is in another castle: turns out it's actually just the icon for the new Chrome notification systems test extension:

fivre posted:

Why isn't the Google Car Home app available on versions past 2.x without sideloading

I guess they feel its no longer necessary since times have shifted since its Eclair debut: the stock homescreen dock is now user customizable, the 2 column landscape layout device docks force the homescreen into (at least in stock Android) already give you static access to voice actions/apps out of the box , the touch screens in current-gen devices are generally much more accurate/responsive than what they were back then meaning there's less need for gigantic touch targets to offset the variance, there's now a recent apps button (and most probably only need access to 1-3 apps whilst driving). On top of that OEMs didn't always bother enabling the flag which enabled the home button override and there was the usability issue where a dirty port would cause Car home to continually override the homescreen and completely baffle casual users.

4.2 disabled the homescreen override part of Car Mode completely, so going forward Car Home apps which automatically launch on docking have been made superfluous. I think only useful thing to auto-launch on docking now is Navigation (and of course Maps hasn't been updated yet to register for it because Google). Car mode still exists as a way for apps to switch to car specific UIs/behavior, though hardly anything uses it (the only one I can think of which does this at all is Google Maps).

I could sort of see Lockscreen widgets becoming the spiritual successor for Car Home if/when later versions add automatic live widgets which come & go based on context like the music controls widget. So instead of being reliant on the Maps app for visuals, you could just stay on the lockscreen's live map preview widget and swipe between the other panes as needed..

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 6, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I don't know about stock Android, but TouchWiz doesn't have a landscape mode and I use my phone in landscape orientation in the dock. So yeah, that's not ideal.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Has anyone had any luck with an SMS app that will show a popup that allows reply over top of a lockscreen with PIN lock?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ScarletBrother posted:

Has anyone had any luck with an SMS app that will show a popup that allows reply over top of a lockscreen with PIN lock?

I think this might be an android level thing that blocks this from happening. Not sure if 3rd party apps can get around it.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
The age old debate between security and convenience...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vagrancy posted:

Sorry, your unified messaging system is in another castle: turns out it's actually just the icon for the new Chrome notification systems test extension:

Son of a BITCH.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Damnit...

Well, is there a way to download that or?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
There are persistent rumors that Google Now will be coming to Chrome, so there's probably at least one thing cool about it. :shobon:

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
Earlier in this thread I saw people asking for financial app alternatives to things like Mint, and Pageonce is what I've been using that I hadn't seen suggested here yet. It's really pretty good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

i barely GNU her! posted:

There are persistent rumors that Google Now will be coming to Chrome, so there's probably at least one thing cool about it. :shobon:

Actually, that's not a rumor. It was confirmed on Google's Chrome blog sometime last year. Plus, they've added bits and pieces into Chromium for a while now.

https://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=171868

It looks like it might be almost done?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

I've had these same 42 mysterious songs refuse to upload for the past 6 months. gently caress you google. Fix your lovely apps and computer clients please before pushing out some other half-baked beta idea and ignoring them for the next year and a half :negative:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've had these same 42 mysterious songs refuse to upload for the past 6 months. gently caress you google. Fix your lovely apps and computer clients please before pushing out some other half-baked beta idea and ignoring them for the next year and a half :negative:

I had this happen and did something with foobar that was suggested to fix it. I think rebuilding the tags or something?

Found it:

"All you need to do is open the mp3 file in foobar2000 and right click it utilities and fix VBR MP3 Header and it takes about a second to run and as long as the file is still in a folder that google music is monitoring, it will immediately start uploading."

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 6, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, wrong thread :v: But I had this happen and did something with foobar that was suggested to fix it. I think rebuilding the tags or something?

Found it:

"All you need to do is open the mp3 file in foobar2000 and right click it utilities and fix VBR MP3 Header and it takes about a second to run and as long as the file is still in a folder that google music is monitoring, it will immediately start uploading."

How do I find out what songs they are? Music Manager won't tell me what songs are stuck.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Google play doesn't have enough space for me :(

I have almost 60k songs, 20k aren't enough...

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

How do I find out what songs they are? Music Manager won't tell me what songs are stuck.

I don't recall how long the fixing process took. Maybe do it on your entire music directory?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ThermoPhysical posted:

Damnit...

Well, is there a way to download that or?

Yeah it's an unpacked extension (also requires you to enable experimental APIs in Chrome://flags), but the Drive URL for it was linked by Francois Beautfort on G+ earlier today so its long since overrun its quota.

Though it's not all that interesting since it only works fully on ChromeOS; the pictures are completely broken on Windows Desktop, and OS X Chrome can't use it at all because the Rich notifications flag isn't available yet (probably because its too much work to prototype on at this stage because they'd need conditional logic to selectively enable/disable the native Notification center implementation in favor of the Menu bar system it's going to have to move to).

Just imagine the Jelly Bean notification system except: all notification items are permanently expanded, there are a maximum of two actions listed vertically underneath the notification body (instead of three horizontally) and everything is styled like a Google Now card and you've pretty much got how it works right now.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't recall how long the fixing process took. Maybe do it on your entire music directory?

I believe there is an error log when it fails to upload a song.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Stick100 posted:

I couldn't remember, but I think you're right. Although, I only had that issue uploading a few albums I bought off Amazon, so I think I did just point foobar at the whole Amazon music directory.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

ScarletBrother posted:

ChompSMS does this. It's not perfect but it works, and immediately locks the screen again when you are done.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Stick100 posted:

I don't think it fails to upload; it looks like it doesn't even try at all. I click upload and nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

Any new songs I add and upload seem to work fine. It's just whatever those 42 songs are, if there are even 42 songs.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I don't think it fails to upload; it looks like it doesn't even try at all. I click upload and nothing happens. Absolutely nothing.

Any new songs I add and upload seem to work fine. It's just whatever those 42 songs are, if there are even 42 songs.

When it did that to me, I got the feeling that it remembered its failures and just didn't bother again, so I pointed the uploader to a single folder and fed the Foobar-processed files there. Worked like a charm.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
So Twitter can read your contact card now. :what:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Goose Halo posted:

So Twitter can read your contact card now. :what:

Meh, if you've been on facebook like most other twitter users this ship has sailed and everyone under the sun knows who's in your phone already. Too late!

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've just installed PocketCasts and, although it seems awesome, it's picked the most recent 2 episodes of every single podcast I'm subscribed to and is showing them to me as updates. I don't want to listen to them all, but when I long press I can't see a "mark as listened" option. I can however see a "Delete" option, even on the ones that I haven't actually downloaded. Is this equivalent to marking as listened?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

chippy posted:

Is this equivalent to marking as listened?

Yes

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I don't know if I'm better off posting this in the Musician's Lounge or what, but since this is technically a correct place for it and I haven't seen it mentioned before:

If you're into electronic music and synthesizers and poo poo, Caustic is a super fun mini music studio. I suppose it would be a bit fiddly on a phone, but on a tablet it's just right.

It has some synths and a drum computer, each with their own step sequencer.

The trial version is great on its own, no ads or anything, it just can't save or export.

Unlocking it is ~$8 or something, which I'm going to do as soon as I figure out how, because this app on its own has more or less redeemed my purchase of this lovely ~$100 tablet.

EDITED in link.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 7, 2013

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Sick, I do music but don't hang in ML much. Thanks, dude.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Meh, if you've been on facebook like most other twitter users this ship has sailed and everyone under the sun knows who's in your phone already. Too late!

Crazy people not using TweetDeck.

I mean, they're owned by Twitter, so it will maybe get the same treatment, but it's certainly useful in avoiding the Facebook app.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I've just noticed; the Play Music webapp just updated. Roboto everywhere, and they've finally fixed it so you can upload coverart again!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Another Twitter app updated today, this time it's Plume hitting version 5.

quote:

• Add support for columns for a single account (app and widgets).
  • Refresh the look of the widgets.
  • Add support for Facebook in the widgets.
  • Display the Twitter profile banner.
  • Propose to resend a tweet when a picture upload fails.
  • Smoother scrolling.
  • Handle URL redirection on wifi hotspots that require a login.
  • Add support for Twitter API 1.1 (off by default).
  • Fix issues with the Pull To Refresh.
  • Fix issues with the picture cache.
  • Fix issues with the event logger.

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.touiteur

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

fivre posted:

Crazy people not using TweetDeck.

I mean, they're owned by Twitter, so it will maybe get the same treatment, but it's certainly useful in avoiding the Facebook app.

You use tweetdeck on android? It's been pretty neglected since 2011.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

beerinator posted:

You use tweetdeck on android? It's been pretty neglected since 2011.

There's a slightly updated/fixed version called Tweakdeck that works really well. I have yet to find a twitter client that supports multiple users and has Facebook, that otherwise looks even remotely decent. Plume is close, but god is their interface busy and ugly.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
What's the go to "find my phone when I lose it" type app? Is Lookout and it's a virus monitoring bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

visuvius posted:

What's the go to "find my phone when I lose it" type app? Is Lookout and it's a virus monitoring bullshit?

I've used http://androidlost.com before, to decent success. Granted I lost my phone, in my house. But it worked fine to turn on an alarm so that I could find it.

• Locked thread