Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!
Wow there are some really awesome pics here! Really inspiring to take my new 24-70 and tripod into the city this weekend and see what I can get.

Both of these photographs were taken between 10 P.M. and 11 P.M. if memory serves me correctly. Naturally at different dates and times.

Arc de Triomphe at night. Paris, France
F/11, ISO 800, .6 second exposure at 28mm

Arc de Triumph by Guitar Abroad, on Flickr

Brandenburger Tor. Berlin, Germany
F/6.3, ISO 800, 1/4 second exposure at 10mm

Brandenburger Tor by Guitar Abroad, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Naples (that is Vesuvius in the background) 2.1 second exposure. More here http://myx100year.blogspot.com/2013/02/italy-sorrento-milan-naples.html

italy-64 by mr-chompers, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The very last of the "Peoria Sleeps" stuff.

Midwest Title Loans by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Moose Lodge by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You make light commercial buildings look so badass.

My only beef is with the second one, the flag blurring out because of the long exposure looks like a photoshop error.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
For a moment, I thought the flag was something being censored by Gaussian blur.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
A few shots around the city:

5D3_3063 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_3001 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_3030 by capacity4action, on Flickr

5D3_3348 by capacity4action, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I really like the last two :)

The Great Outdoors
Aug 11, 2010

window king (1 of 1) by rwt300, on Flickr

falls (1 of 1) by rwt300, on Flickr

hamilton (1 of 1) by rwt300, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

North Ave Winter by Myotomy, on Flickr

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Didn't see an astrophotography thread, so hopefully this is in the right spot. Has anyone built a barn door mount before? I'm kicking around the idea of putting together one of these http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/52

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Check this thread over in DIY.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

Check this thread over in DIY.

Perfect, thanks.

slothmeister
May 25, 2011
Was working through some old photos today and reworked this one from vegas last year.

Lightning Over Vegas Strip by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Orion Over the Pond by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Literally Painting with Light by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I have been fairly nervous of posting in The Dorkroom, since I am a bit scared of realizing that my pictures are crap (especially in comparison with some of the great images here). Yet, I know that criticism is the only way to improve, so here we go (sadly, I don't have high-res versions here at my office computer).
I'm still learning post-processing, so I'm sure these could look better with proper use of lightroom.

1. My girlfriend, my family and myself visited Disneyland Paris in December last year. Although I had a tripod with me, this particular night I didn't have it with me. I used a trashcan (which limited my possibilities in terms of moving and working the shot) and my gloves to keep the camera steady, and took this (the circular thing in the middle is this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33387718@N00/294544566/ ).

2. This is the Petrovaradin fortress in Novi Sad, Serbia.

3. Paris (I really hate that trash bag, since it screwed up the composition.

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 13, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Paris shots look rather nice.. well exposed, good focus, and some interesting scenery. The trash bag is a little unfortunate, but not a deal breaker.

You do need to work on your composition a bit. The first shot is way too tight, and the two Paris shots do the same thing. The B&W image is the better of the two because it has some depth to it, but it feels like you cropped too tightly on the left side. A little bit of air above the statue would help too.

The shot from Serbia doesn't give too many composition options, but again it feels a little bit too tight. It's also a little out of focus. :v:

What I'd recommend for future shots is to zoom out a little more than you think is necessary, so you can experiment with composition in post. Being able to move the image around can be really informative.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

xzzy posted:

The Paris shots look rather nice.. well exposed, good focus, and some interesting scenery. The trash bag is a little unfortunate, but not a deal breaker.

You do need to work on your composition a bit. The first shot is way too tight, and the two Paris shots do the same thing.

Thank you very much for your input.
I am still learning about composition, so it is always good to hear some comments.
Regarding the "tightness", in all of these pictures (with the exception of the Serbian one) I was very limited in where I could actually stand. In the Disney picture I was limited by...well, the trashcan. In the Paris picture I was standing next to the river, so it wasn't possible to move any farther than I was.
Still, excuses are like assholes, since everyone has one, so I will just learn from my mistake and use your comments on my next attempts.

I think the Serbian picture looks out of focus because of the resizing; I'll check out the original and re-post it if I am right.
Thanks! :)

EDIT: While your suggestion of zooming out more than necessary seems absolutely obvious, I had neverthought of doing that, so thanks a lot for it! :P

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 13, 2013

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

In which I signal aliens

I haven't posted in ages. Turns out that the part of the venn diagram with clear night/no moon/free time is actually a pretty small proportion of my year.

nugzseeker 2
Feb 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm curious if anyone here uses a Fuji x100, what aperture you find best for sharp night shots? I know in general F4 is meant to give the best performance, but I don't know if that changes when shooting at night.

It would be great if F4 does give the best quality, since I can likely avoid bulb mode in that case.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

nugzseeker 2 posted:

I'm curious if anyone here uses a Fuji x100, what aperture you find best for sharp night shots? I know in general F4 is meant to give the best performance, but I don't know if that changes when shooting at night.

It would be great if F4 does give the best quality, since I can likely avoid bulb mode in that case.

The x100 is sharp at all aperture settings. Ive had no issues with IQ at f/2 iso3200 handheld at night. So you can go down further if you really needed to.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
First time posting, haven't been at this too long but drat is it fun. I far prefer any long exposures, nighttime or otherwise :D Thanks in advance for any critiques, I want to continue to improve.

For this first one, I really love the plane trail and the flashing tail light dots it leaves. Also, Mt. Hood kicks rear end.

Marina At Night by m.clifford82, on Flickr

This shot was taken where I work near an intersection that has our company sign on it. I really like the lines on this one, however I wish I would have gotten the sky a bit more.

Epiq Sign by m.clifford82, on Flickr

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I've been meaning to try and get a nighttime shot here for a while, and finally gave it a go. Think the area was too bright and a lot of them didn't come out great but a couple were not bad.

DSC_0015 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

the way home by thetzar, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

East India. by Clwn, on Flickr

East India. by Clwn, on Flickr

Greenwich Royal Observatory. by Clwn, on Flickr

Greenwich Royal Observatory. by Clwn, on Flickr

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Non Serviam posted:

1. My girlfriend, my family and myself visited Disneyland Paris in December last year. Although I had a tripod with me, this particular night I didn't have it with me. I used a trashcan (which limited my possibilities in terms of moving and working the shot) and my gloves to keep the camera steady, and took this (the circular thing in the middle is this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33387718@N00/294544566/ ).

This owns, I just wish there were a bit more room to breathe on top and some more space to the right of the frame so that the perpetual motion machine wasn't so close to the center of the image.

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I've been meaning to try and get a nighttime shot here for a while, and finally gave it a go. Think the area was too bright and a lot of them didn't come out great but a couple were not bad.

DSC_0015 by Phil Tickner, on Flickr

I agree, this feels too light. I think you could've dropped your ISO or closed down your aperture by a full stop or two and kept the light trails while bringing down the ambient light that messes with your perception of it being nighttime.

First one kicks rear end. In the second one, what's that green line crossing the middle of the frame? It's too low for a plane, and it ends (starts?) abruptly at a building. I can't figure it out, trippy!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BobTheCow posted:

In the second one, what's that green line crossing the middle of the frame? It's too low for a plane, and it ends (starts?) abruptly at a building. I can't figure it out, trippy!

It's the Greenwich Meridian.
(no, really)

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
Great stuff everyone!

Here's couple of mine from last night:

Tampere by night 2 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Rajasalmen silta yöllä by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

It's eerie to stand still on a frozen lake at night. The ice makes all kinds of cracking and banging noises.

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011

Florida Beaches by Alex Domsky, on Flickr

It's been forever since i posted here, and im pretty sure i accidentally posted a photo that wasnt actually a night time long exposure, so hopefully heres redemption.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I really like that a lot, but it looks like the horizon isn't quite straight. It would be straight desktop material with that change.

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

I really like that a lot, but it looks like the horizon isn't quite straight. It would be straight desktop material with that change.

Oh god, I'm usually pretty good about keeping the horizon straight, poo poo, i totally missed that. Once you said that that's all i saw lol. Thanks though man, ill pull up the raw tomorrow and fix that.
Thanks again.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Alcoholic posted:

Oh god, I'm usually pretty good about keeping the horizon straight, poo poo, i totally missed that. Once you said that that's all i saw lol. Thanks though man, ill pull up the raw tomorrow and fix that.
Thanks again.

It's actually curved, not crooked. Looks fine as is to me, given that. Fantastic shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mclifford82 posted:

It's actually curved, not crooked. Looks fine as is to me, given that. Fantastic shot.

Yeah I used a sheet of paper to try and figure out what's going on.. is it uncorrected distortion or something?

Because it looks like it's an ocean horizon, but it definitely curves upwards on the right side. :iiam:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Downtown LA, bridge over the 110 freeway. Shot with a Nikon D7000, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye, probably at f/22 and about a 10-20 second exposure.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

20130301-011-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-014-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20130301-013-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Great work 8th samurai, love the first and third one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Thanks.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

IMG_7359 by EPICAC, on Flickr

IMG_7319 by EPICAC, on Flickr

Alcoholic
Sep 8, 2011

xzzy posted:

Yeah I used a sheet of paper to try and figure out what's going on.. is it uncorrected distortion or something?

Because it looks like it's an ocean horizon, but it definitely curves upwards on the right side. :iiam:

im actually pretty sure i took it with my 17-40 f/4.0, so you're probably right, but i think its also think its not straight as well, i dont think i corrected it at all.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

The Lake House by Myotomy, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes

Kuu ja tähdet by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr