Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

That sounds remarkably similar to the Iro experience.
Today we watched A Few Good Men and she loved the marching song on the credits. She kept bobbling around and tapping her feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I wonder if you could teach a bird to dance of it's own accord? Ohtori doesn't dance or bob or anything, he doesn't even visibly react to different kinds of music and background noise.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that yesterday we went to the parrot store to pick up a toy or two for Ohtori, and there was a beautiful Timneh African Grey out on the counter :3: She was an adult but still quite small, with the most adorable stubby tail, and perfect feathers. We said hello to her and she was so polite-beaked us a bit and didn't want to be petted, but didn't bite, just moved away or held our fingers and pushed them away gently. I rubbed her beak for a bit and she didn't mind that. Whenever we turned around, she would whistle or make popping noises. :3: Want want want.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I'm super jelly of your sink, it looks like it doesn't have one of those stupid center dividers. And that's rad if so.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Opera Bitch posted:

So has anyone here ever ordered from the website Parrot Safari.? Because if you have, and you had a GOOD experience, I'd love to hear it because I am steamed! I ordered a whole bunch of stuff from there, and even though shipping was ridiculous at $14, I'd spend just that much in gas to drive to our closest bird toy shop, which is 45 minutes away. I spent a lot of money in one shot so I could stock up on toys since shipping is expensive, as is driving to the store. Never again will I order from there. I got my order on the 30th and out of the fourteen plus things I bought, only four arrived in the box... and one of them was the wrong perch. There wasn't even an invoice, and the box was just one that something else had been delivered to them in. I have sent them three emails and a Facebook message with no response and their "contact us" number isn't even a working one. I am so glad I paid through Paypal because I just opened a dispute, hopefully they will respond. I have bought their toys from our local bird shop before, so I figured they were a legitimate business. *End rant*

Edit: Just checked the mail to find one of the missing things. No note of when the rest will come, just a box wit one toy inside.

Parrot Safari or Parrot Safari Toy Factory?

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Nothing new with Cinni or Pumpkin. I do, however, wish to share this article with everyone: http://networkedblogs.com/I08CV.
I think the owner is an idiot and could have easily prevented everything, but it also shows that derpatiels aren't so derpy afterall.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'm super jelly of your sink, it looks like it doesn't have one of those stupid center dividers. And that's rad if so.

Wait what why? I hate single sinks. How do you rinse the soap off after you have finished washing?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah single sinks aren't awesome at all. Plus doubles usually get garbage disposals and I love me a garbage disposal. Trade? :D

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
While looking for jobs and using my computer, this is pretty much constantly happening

She will joust with my headphones quite a bit. Also she ate like two apples today already :staredog: Energetic little thing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I feel you should be warned my sister has threatened to steal your bird, as Eclectuses are her favorite parrot and neither of us has seen one in ages.

You should post more pictures so I can placate her. Totally not out of self interest :ninja:

It's so satisfying to see a female in such great shape, kudos to you for taking such good care of her!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I wish my cockatiel was better at playing with toys. He's not much for playing but man he loves exploring. Today he was channeling Columbus himself as he waddled his way behind the couch, up the drapes, into the cupboards.

His favorite spot is to get inside one of those rectangular boxes that those single serving coffee cups come in. He can barely fit and mostly just warks at himself with his tail sticking out the hole.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Frogmanv2 posted:

Wait what why? I hate single sinks. How do you rinse the soap off after you have finished washing?

Dishwasher, but single sinks hold so much more. My parents have a barn sink in their kitchen, its super deep and delightful. Also, garbage disposal in that one.

I was out of town for a week, my girlfriend was kind enough to take pet responsibilities, then this happened:

He let this go on for about 20 minutes, which doesn't happen, ever. Lots of snuggles happened.

And then we got tired and stretched.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 7, 2013

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

When Scout does the stretches on both sides there is a turd coming up!

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Parrot Safari or Parrot Safari Toy Factory?

Parrot Safari. They are owned by the same people though: the same lady's image is on both sites. The paypal dispute worked because I heard from her right away. According to her none of my emails got to her, and she didn't acknowledge my comment that I sent two of them through her own website's order contact page... so I guess having a working system isn't a big deal to them. She apparently never got the facebook message I sent her company, or the email I sent from my own account to address provided on the paypal contact page for her company. I find it strange, however, that after I opened the dispute she got back to me a short time later... using the same email I had sent my third email to. So basically the stuff I ordered that hasn't come yet--items I was able to add to my cart and not listed as being out of stock--were out of stock and would come piece by piece. I never got an invoice or a letter with the first package stating this was the case, so as far as I knew, my order was shorted. She also stated the perch I got was the same as the one in the picture but was one that had bark on it, but she'd send me the sandblasted one if I wanted it. Once again, I ORDERED the sandblasted one, and I got something completely different sent to me. Whether or not this has all been a big miscommunication, I'll stick to the places I used to buy toys from now on.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

SaNChEzZ posted:

He let this go on for about 20 minutes, which doesn't happen, ever. Lots of snuggles happened.

Conure snuggle time is the best :3: I was leaning on my husband on the couch the other day and Ozzy wiggled his way into a small crack between us for some family snuggle time :3: :3: :3: Happy little bird grumbles and squeaks for like half an hour.

Cockatiel snuggle time is super cute too but Nugget is more of a "I'm gonna rest my head on your cheek while you pet me for 2 hours" type of gal.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

mikerock posted:

When Scout does the stretches on both sides there is a turd coming up!
The macaws would always drop their head down low like they were really checking you out, then PFFTBBBPFFFttt!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

I wonder if you could teach a bird to dance of it's own accord? Ohtori doesn't dance or bob or anything, he doesn't even visibly react to different kinds of music and background noise.

Oh man, my cockatoo loves dancing. He will just bob up and down with his whole body and get that crest out there for maximum metal headbang effect. He loves to dance to electronic, mostly likes rock, and is always ready to sing a duet if it's classical or opera. He seriously has the most amazing vibrato. Must record this.

Pip pip pip posted:

Conure snuggle time is the best :3: I was leaning on my husband on the couch the other day and Ozzy wiggled his way into a small crack between us for some family snuggle time :3: :3: :3: Happy little bird grumbles and squeaks for like half an hour.

Cockatiel snuggle time is super cute too but Nugget is more of a "I'm gonna rest my head on your cheek while you pet me for 2 hours" type of gal.

Man, I need to get a picture of Teeka getting his roost on. That bird just lives for cuddles, all he wants to do is be plopped in your lap and roost up for a few hours. And then bite you out of nowhere when he wants to go back to his cage, but it's not a hard bite and we're training him away from that behavior.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pip pip pip posted:

I miss this so much, even though Ohtori only did it for maybe a few weeks after we brought him home, after his bitey period. No conure snuggles for me. :(

Weird that you should write this just as I was going to post about how at around 3am, 'Tori woke up and started warking and moving around as if it were day, so being awake as well I took him out the cage intending to just pet him for a moment. He ran up my shirt to my shoulder, and instantly pressed himself against my neck and cuddled in. It was so cute that I just let him stay there for a bit, all warm and sleepy, then tried to pick him up. He went under my shirt and ran up to my chest, then tried to settle down there to sleep, his beak and face pressed against me as he laid down. His tactics worked and he got to stay for a while longer before being put back. After proper waking he is back to normal of course, but since he hasn't acted that way in months I'm still happy :3:

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
Bird quarantine question since I'll be getting my GCC next month. My breeder sends her birds home a few days after a vet check. I'm planning to put the new guy in our bedroom for a few days while he settles in. Do you guys think I need to do the whole 30 day quarantine thing too? It's going to be hard to find a place to put the new bird, and I can't kick my budgie out of his room because he passionately hates every other room in the house (except the kitchen which is about the size of a master bathroom). Most discussion seems to be either IF YOU DON'T QUARANTINE A NEW BIRD EVERYONE WILL DIE or "there's no point in quarantine since anything airborne can be passed through air ducts anyway."

I've had my budgie for close to a year and other than the occasional sneeze he hasn't shown any signs of illness so I'm pretty confident that he's disease free. I've been to the breeder's place and for what it's worth her bird room is cleaner than any room in my house, all the babies seemed totally healthy, and she knows what she's talking about when it comes to birds, so I'm not overly worried when it comes to disease from her. I wouldn't be letting the birds out at the same time for probably a month anyway while they get used to each other. If everyone thinks only doing a short (week or so) quarantine is a terrible idea though, I'll make it work to do a longer one.

Also I can't even explain how excited I am for conure snuggles. I got to play with some baby suns the breeder has and they were so snuggly and wanted to be on me all the time. It's a big difference from the angry face my budgie makes every time I even think about trying to touch him.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Are we telling cute bird stories?! I have two! Since we got Marshal, I've been calling him tiny baby or baby bird or small bird baby or any silly combination like that. I've been calling Finn and Marceline baby on and off too ever since I got them, but it seems that just recently Marci picked up the word. So now, when she and Marshal are on different perches or are just apart she starts yelling "C'MERE, BABY. C'MERE BABY." Over and over until they're put together.

Also, today Marshal and Marci were sitting on my arm and I was giving them kisses and Finn ran from the other side of the couch over to me and jumped up on my knee and stretched himself as high as possible while making loud kissing noises. He was jealous :3: So precioussss.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
My bird likes, of all things, watching Mythbusters sitting on someone's raised knee.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Tadhg Dall posted:

Most discussion seems to be either IF YOU DON'T QUARANTINE A NEW BIRD EVERYONE WILL DIE or "there's no point in quarantine since anything airborne can be passed through air ducts anyway."

I guess the general rule of thumb is supposed to be yeah, if it's not a breeder you've dealt with before or you have reason to believe the bird is sick or could be sick you're supposed to keep them apart. But ALSO yeah, if you have vents in your house and they're not closed (which might not be an option with it being winter if you don't want to freeze to death) any air born diseases can get to the birds anyway.

My own personal experience, for what it's worth, when we bought Finn we were a few hours away from making a 12 hour drive so quarantining wasn't really an option. Both birds came from a petco and neither of them got sick. With Marshal, we were going to keep him apart from the others but, again, our house is connected by vents and we decided gently caress it. He came from a local pet store. Again, no birds got sick or anything.

Now mind you, this is just my experience. It is not rule or law or anything like that. I don't know that I'd even recommend it. But I guess I want you to know that if you don't or can't quarantine your birds it's not like they'll 100% drop dead the next day.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Wozbo posted:

My bird likes, of all things, watching Mythbusters sitting on someone's raised knee.

Amadeus prefers Top Gear, every time an engine roars he gets all big-eyed and trills back at it. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Charlie will watch anything but will start laughing whenever someone gets hurt or killed.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Zippy just laughs along with laugh tracks or any other laughter on TV (particularly if she feels we aren't paying enough attention to her), other than that she doesn't seem to care what is on the screen.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Nugget seems oddly fascinated with (American) football. Maybe she thinks the pigskin is a seed :confused: Ozzy gives no fucks about what's on. He just wants snuggles.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
So I have Cody held right now in an ice cream grip (like a bird-cone on his tail/butt/feet) and rubbing his head vigorously on my face. He has no choice in the matter.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

My Easter Egger Waffle loves people so much, she's always trying to get out of the run and hang out near the kitchen door to get into the house and on people's laps. Each time I go out she follows me and jumps on my shoulder if I don't hold her right away :3: It's be cuter if she didn't have chicken poo poo on her feet most of the time...

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
Went to the Pet Depot today before a depressing trip to the doctor, and saw an adorable nanday conure. I've never seen one in person, it was gorgeous with the rusty colors around it's black face feather. It was mighty snuggly and I had to argue myself out of getting it, but the idea of a nanday and jenday playing is so so tempting :3:

In other news, I've had a heated perch that cost me $35 in Q the old rear end cockatiel's cage since early December and he still refuses to use it, it apparently is a horrible murder machine and will burn his feet off with its lava covered surface.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KillerChicken posted:

In other news, I've had a heated perch that cost me $35 in Q the old rear end cockatiel's cage since early December and he still refuses to use it, it apparently is a horrible murder machine and will burn his feet off with its lava covered surface.
That's probably a good thing, those are not actually good for your bird and can actually cause burns on their feet.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Amadeus prefers Top Gear, every time an engine roars he gets all big-eyed and trills back at it. :3:

Michaelangelo and Amadeus, separated at birth.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Kenshin posted:

That's probably a good thing, those are not actually good for your bird and can actually cause burns on their feet.

Really? I have checked our heated perch a few times and it's never been anything warmer than, say, sleeping cat temperature. Is it a matter of them going unexpectedly haywire and setting themselves on fire, or are birds' feet really that sensitive?

edited for hilarious unspecified "they" correction

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 8, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

SaNChEzZ posted:

And then we got tired and stretched.

Those primary and tail feathers are so pretty. Wanna paint a sun conure (some day)

Chido posted:

My Easter Egger Waffle loves people so much, she's always trying to get out of the run and hang out near the kitchen door to get into the house and on people's laps. Each time I go out she follows me and jumps on my shoulder if I don't hold her right away :3: It's be cuter if she didn't have chicken poo poo on her feet most of the time...

Feel free to post photographic evidence! I wonder what a chicken on the shoulder is like. Do they just chill there, or try and preen your hair and ears too?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pile of Kittens posted:

Really? I have checked our heated perch a few times and it's never been anything warmer than, say, sleeping cat temperature. Is it a matter of them going unexpectedly haywire and setting themselves on fire, or are birds' feet really that sensitive?

edited for hilarious unspecified "they" correction

I can speak to having one. I have nothing but good things to say about it. My two cockatiels sleep on it every night and they love it. And yeah, whenever I touch it to check on it, it's only warm, not hot. I'd imagine if something went wrong they'd just bail on it.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Maybe people tried using too big of a heated perch for their bird, which ended up in more heat being dispersed over a smaller area and thus causing burns. I also have a heated perch, and both Baby and Cheeky have no interest in using it.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Might be a "When it fails it fails spectacularly" thing.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've thought about getting one but it's usually pretty warm in the apartment and I don't want to be deprived of seeing the tiels all fluffed up and busting out their mutton chops.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Now that it's dark and he can't just sit on the monitor and look out the window, Steve is surprisingly active. I'm actually having to keep an eye on him. It must be what a real cockatiel is like.

I burritoed him this morning to do his nails, and as usual when finished I put the towel containing the bird on the floor and let them work their own way out, acting as if nothing happened. I got the idea from someone in here-Pookah maybe? They get confused instead of mad at me, it's great.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So in the past few months my 'too has developed a weird pattern. Usually a little before 5pm, he starts screaming and basically won't stop. So we throw in his corn, cover him, and he shuts up and eats dinner. Later on we'll swap out the corn or peas or whatever veggies we gave him for pellets and he sleeps through the night. When we uncover him in the morning, he's happy and a normal bird.

I guess I just find it weird that my bird only spend something like 10 hours a day uncovered since we open him up for biz around 7am. I'd love to have him be more active in the evenings, but the screaming just does not stop unless he is covered, and in case you weren't aware, cockatoos are pretty goddamn loud. In the past we've tried for two weeks to incrementally move his cover time to something like 6pm, but bird brain will just not have any of it. We keep his area well-lit and he doesn't exhibit any nesting behavior.

The bird seems pretty normal and happy, as far as I can tell. He's in good shape (although could use more muscle), plays with toys, is plenty talkative, very cuddly, and overall this is probably the best behavior he's had in a long while. Is my bird just a lazy teenager that likes to sleep a lot or just lounge in bed?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
I think I've read that wild 'toos tend to start congregating in the roosting area a couple hours before dark. They scream "HEY EVERYBODY GET BACK HERE IT'S ALMOST BEDTIME". They preen and socialize till shortly before sunset then everybody goes quiet. So it's probably innate behavior.

Both my goffin and my mom's umbrella start screaming for bedtime by about 330. Mom's bird gets up at 6 and goes to bed by 330, my guy gets up at 7 and goes at 430 if I'm home from work. On days I'm working out of the house I get home around 630, so he has a dark corner in his cage draped in dark cloth (his "bedroom") and his light is on a timer to go out at 430. He goes in his bedroom as soon as the timer goes off, then when I get home we have dinner/cuddle time, and within 20 minutes he's telling me it's bedtime again.

When I kept him up later in the evenings he was much, much more shouty the rest of the day. If he gets his bedtime when he wants it, he's usually quiet as mouse most of the day. The goffin is 18 years old and the umbrella even older, so it's not just a puberty thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Interesting. We have Zippy on an (approximate) 8:30am-8:30pm schedule. She'll start screaming or getting otherwise worked up if we don't put her in her cage and cover it by about 8:45pm.