Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress Toreadors, they'll never know the joy of Purge.

And yeah, early weapons combined with early fights are much more fun and forgiving than later encounters which sort of force you to power-game just so you can end the level already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

When do I get a different set of clothes?

Do I have to look like this the whole game?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GreenBuckanneer posted:

When do I get a different set of clothes?

Do I have to look like this the whole game?

There's generally a new set of clothes for every new chapter. I don't think you can upgrade your looks before leaving the first map.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

There's generally a new set of clothes for every new chapter. I don't think you can upgrade your looks before leaving the first map.

This is correct. The earliest you can get new clothes is once you make it Downtown. Talk to Fat Larry.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Pimp suit with cat-in-the-hat rave hat, best outfit.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Fuzz posted:

If you don't play as a Malk dressed as a fireman and waving a fireaxe around, I don't know what to tell you. :colbert:

"I'm putting out the fire! It's in your FAAAAAAAAAACE!"

"Truly, the weapon of a madman. Who else would attack fire with an axe?"

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nosferatu was my first playthrough. I love that every type of armor they get is a gimp suit of some sort.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nosferatu was my first playthrough. I love that every type of armor they get is a gimp suit of some sort.

every time I play I end up as a firearms Nosferatu on my second run - I love the Nosferatu side quests, Mitnick, Gary, the sewers, everything. You can pick up on so many background bits of flavour text from emails, and the ever-increasing creativity of character's reactions to you being ugly as sin are hilarious.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So I somehow didn't fall down the hole in the stairs at the Ocean Front Hotel.

Will just continuing as normal and ignoring the basement break anything?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

xanthan posted:

So I somehow didn't fall down the hole in the stairs at the Ocean Front Hotel.

Will just continuing as normal and ignoring the basement break anything?

You can continue on as normal without worry of breaking anything. I managed to jump over the hole once.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I jump the motherfucker every time now. Once is enough for that basement.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

You can continue on as normal without worry of breaking anything. I managed to jump over the hole once.

I jump over it all the time now its pretty easy to fake it out and then clear the hole.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer
Just don't fall into the basement after you get the amulet. You can't get out (happen to me).

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Which clans are able to solve the "kill this person who knows too much" quests by making them forget what they saw instead of killing them? Is it just Ventrue (and Malkavian, I'm guessing)?

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.

Project1 posted:

Which clans are able to solve the "kill this person who knows too much" quests by making them forget what they saw instead of killing them? Is it just Ventrue (and Malkavian, I'm guessing)?

You can solve some problems as a Malk like that, yeah.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think any clan can claim a diplomatic victory in such scenarios? It's all up to how many points you dedicate towards certain abilities.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I think any clan can claim a diplomatic victory in such scenarios? It's all up to how many points you dedicate towards certain abilities.
Depends on exactly what fan patch you've got. Anybody (except maybe Nosferatu) can use Persuade/Intimidate/Seduction if they have enough points in it, but I think only Ventrue got to use Dominate in dialogue, and Malkavians Dementate.

Everybody else was stuck using Dominate (if they had it) for its other purposes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yeah you aren't seducing anyone as a nosferatu, otherwise it's mostly the same as every other clan.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zereth posted:

Malkavians Dementate.

You know, it really got me that the Malkavian Dementate option for the Brotherhood quest was not to drive one poor witness out of her mind, but pretend to be her boyfriend and spout some cheesy poetry to make her be at peace. Maybe it was because I had high Humanity, but it really added a touching element to the game- the Malkavian might have lost his/her mind, but not his/her heart :3:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Tremere can use level 1 dominate in convos too with Wesp5's patch I believe, but not 2+ so it has limited applications.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Tremere can use level 1 dominate in convos too with Wesp5's patch I believe, but not 2+ so it has limited applications.

I believe you actually can use dominate past 1, it's just that you have to hotkey them. The mouse wheel only finds Trance, though.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
I'm thinking specifically of that guy who has the supernatural TV show.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
Really love this game, but I'm getting horrifying crashes in my latest playthrough. I remember playing through it on my old PC with no problems. Got the latest Clan Quest Mod version with the bugfix and the Malkavian whispers mod installed. The crash itself seems to be a BSOD, but it doesn't even show up. Everything stops and I can only see some lines on black background and I have to turn of the PC. It happens sometimes after a loading screen, or feeding, or just walking.

Could it be my Windows8 64bit, or something else?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Minister of Chance posted:

Really love this game, but I'm getting horrifying crashes in my latest playthrough. I remember playing through it on my old PC with no problems. Got the latest Clan Quest Mod version with the bugfix and the Malkavian whispers mod installed. The crash itself seems to be a BSOD, but it doesn't even show up. Everything stops and I can only see some lines on black background and I have to turn of the PC. It happens sometimes after a loading screen, or feeding, or just walking.

Could it be my Windows8 64bit, or something else?

Maybe. Set the game to compatibility mode for Windows XP and check if that helps.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

Maybe. Set the game to compatibility mode for Windows XP and check if that helps.

Sadly that didn't help.
I would be grateful if there was an apparent pattern to these crashes, but they seem to be completely arbitrary. Are there known problems with AMD GPUs and this game? I have a 7850 which isn't overheating as far as I can tell.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Minister of Chance posted:

Sadly that didn't help.
I would be grateful if there was an apparent pattern to these crashes, but they seem to be completely arbitrary. Are there known problems with AMD GPUs and this game? I have a 7850 which isn't overheating as far as I can tell.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any problems with AMD GPUs. I've had a 6970 for two years and I've never had any problem with this game due to my GPU.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just got the manifest for the sarcophagus and all that and reported back to lacroix. I've done all the possible sidequests up until now (though I hosed up on the "twins" quest earlier on)

About how many more hours of the game would you say I have left?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You're maybe a third of the way through.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeesh. That means this is at least a 45 hour long game. Nice.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is the latest bugfix/best patch for a vanilla playthrough? Still the Wesp patch? I'm OK with restored content if it was in the game files to begin with.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Gyshall posted:

What is the latest bugfix/best patch for a vanilla playthrough? Still the Wesp patch? I'm OK with restored content if it was in the game files to begin with.

Yeah, get the WESP patch. Personally, I think the Plus patch is fine for a first playthrough as well (it restores a quest or two, rearranges some items to adjust the games power curve, etc.), but some will disagree there.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah I played with the plus patch, there's nothing really egregiously wrong with it.

Dec 26, 2012

It's probably easier to never play the game without the plus patch, if only due to the changes in item locations and the like screwing you up if you're used to the original.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Thanks, I just haven't played in a year or so and wanted to know what the best poo poo was for a new playthrough (but not my first playthrough.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think my only complaint is that I wish combat wasn't so finicky as a mage. You can't take much damage and you constantly have to hit blood purge in order to stop them from attacking you. Plus you barely run faster than anything in the game

Then to make matters worse, everything but humans soak guns like no one's business, which makes it more of a pain because my choices are guns or blood attacks since melee is never gonna be my strong point.

Right now I just blood purge to stun and get up in someone's face and smg them, repeating until dead.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Did Wesp nerf the blood-thing in the art gallery? That fight is way too brutal for a required story fight that early in the game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That's what I thought too, I found it super hard.

Dec 26, 2012

It's pretty obnoxious. Just chug blood packs, use blood heal and run away a lot.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Did Wesp nerf the blood-thing in the art gallery? That fight is way too brutal for a required story fight that early in the game.

I find sidestepping around that blood creature makes it a little bit easier to deal with as well as hitting him twice and then moving away to dodge his attack, repeat until he's dead.

Alternately you can say gently caress you to Jeannette and skip the boss fight altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way (a cheat even) to completely trivalize combat? I want to do another playthrough but the malk quest in the first area just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and it gets worse in later levels.

• Locked thread