Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo pushed the ever loving poo poo out of Earthbound when it came out. You knew what it was because it had the BIGGEST BOX IN THE STORE. Seriously, with exception to Mario Paint (which came with a mouse and plastic mouse pad), Earthbound was a monster in the retail store. And every game magazine featured Earthbound ads. I was hyped for the game back when it was being called Mother 2 still in GamePro magazine and you couldn't avoid it. It got better promotion than Final Fantasy III. And it sold like poo poo. Because not only were JRPGs niché at the time but JRPGs were also the most expensive game. In Canada they were all over $100 to buy.

Maybe Nintendo should recognize they have a cult classic but it's unfair to say Nintendo didn't promote EarthBound when it was released.

This so much. It was EVERYWHERE. Everyone at least talked about it and Nintendo was pushing it as a really big thing. I played it at a friend's house and found it gimmicky. It was interesting but didn't grab me. However, they advertised the hell out of it and bought reviews and all that. The big problem with it amongst the people I played RPG's with was that everyone was either used to "serious" JRPG's like Final Fantasy, Lufia, Secret of Mana, etc or American RPG's that were even more serious in tone. Earthbound looked like some weird kid's game on the surface and it pushed gamers away. We know now underneath it was basically a JRPG with a wry sense of humor about itself, pop culture, and games in general.

That said, I think this sort of thing would actually do well now that the genre has evolved and this sort of humor has more appeal amongst gamers. It sounds like the series creator is too unwilling to compromise on their vision of the game to actually do a re-release though.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bloodychill posted:

That said, I think this sort of thing would actually do well now that the genre has evolved and this sort of humor has more appeal amongst gamers. It sounds like the series creator is too unwilling to compromise on their vision of the game to actually do a re-release though.
In his defense, the potential legal problems, if they're being shared accurately, are a bunch of nonsense that shouldn't matter. If the modern music industry is fine, then the music sampling in Earthbound should be fine. Ditto to "the one guy kinda looks like Mr. T". There's no reason that there can't be homages in games like there are everywhere else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

theflyingorc posted:

If the modern music industry is fine, then the music sampling in Earthbound should be fine.

Mother 1/2 didn't "sample" anything, they straight-up lifted sections of very well-known songs, and the moment Nintendo says anything publicly that might suggest culpability they're gonna be sued for unpaid royalties, all in the name of a game that isn't really gonna make them much money either way.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Imagine if they released Earthbound on the Wii U VC and it sold so well they started working on an HD modern Earthbound title. :allears:

An HD Earthbound done by Monolith in a kind of Edward Gorey/Telltale take on the Windwaker style - I mean, since we're in fantasy land.

theflyingorc posted:

In his defense, the potential legal problems, if they're being shared accurately, are a bunch of nonsense that shouldn't matter. If the modern music industry is fine, then the music sampling in Earthbound should be fine. Ditto to "the one guy kinda looks like Mr. T". There's no reason that there can't be homages in games like there are everywhere else.

I think it just boils down to that there's just enough there that could be problematic that it's not worth the risk for what they'd get back on it. Nintendo is ludicrously conservative in a lot of ways.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

It's flawed but I do like it more than Twilight Princess personally. The game is bugged wherein it doesn't save that you've been told what a rupee is. So every time you load up your game again, you get to be told what every single item is the first time you pick it up in that session. Other than that the main flaw of the game for me is that they basically removed exploration completely. Also at one point where you do have the opportunity to do an area out of order, due to a glitch if you do it out of order a flag for another dungeon won't trigger and you'll have to restart the entire game. Have a nice day. :)

You can fix your save with that channel in the wii shop

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mother 1/2 didn't "sample" anything, they straight-up lifted sections of very well-known songs, and the moment Nintendo says anything publicly that might suggest culpability they're gonna be sued for unpaid royalties, all in the name of a game that isn't really gonna make them much money either way.

That is exactly what sampling is.

I have also listened to every known example, and any references come with major changes. Skyrunner is clearly inspired by Won't Get Fooled Again, but it certainly isn't the same song. If P Diddy has a music career, Earthbound should be above reproach.

I understand that it isn't worth it for Nintendo to deal with a suit, but it is ridiculous that the threat even exists.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Mods? I think it's safe to say that it makes sense to talk about Wii games in this thread, but SNES and Virtual Console talk would be better suited to the eShop thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^No, keep it in this thread, I don't want to have to read about it in two threads.

theflyingorc posted:

I have also listened to every known example, and any references come with major changes. Skyrunner is clearly inspired by Won't Get Fooled Again, but it certainly isn't the same song. If P Diddy has a music career, Earthbound should be above reproach.

I understand that it isn't worth it for Nintendo to deal with a suit, but it is ridiculous that the threat even exists.

"Sampling" involves getting clearance before you release the product, not paying royalties owed after you get caught out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sampling doesn't imply anything about legality or permission. You can sample something without permission and get reamed for it. You can sample royalty free libraries. You can sample licensed music. It's just taking a bit of something and putting it in another thing.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

^^No, keep it in this thread, I don't want to have to read about it in two threads.

You're the virtual console guy, not me.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

theflyingorc posted:

The one that always caught my ear was that one that sounds kinda like Johnny B Goode. Most of the questionable music tracks fall into that variety, at least in my opinion. At a glance they kinda sound like these other songs, but when heard next to each other you can really tell they aren't the same, although the Earthbound tracks are definitely inspired by these popular songs, hence the potential legal issues.

Also, I think he just goes by Diddy now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
If Nintendo can't release Punch Out with Mike Tyson without running into potential legal issues, it certainly wouldn't be any different for Earthbound with a Mr. T likeness and potential royalty/copyright music issues.

Are people forgetting what the big music industry is like? They have no problem trying to ruin peoples lives with lawsuits for illegally downloading the latest Brittany Spears album, imagine what they would try to do with Nintendo.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

katkillad2 posted:

If Nintendo can't release Punch Out with Mike Tyson without running into potential legal issues, it certainly wouldn't be any different for Earthbound with a Mr. T likeness and potential royalty/copyright music issues.

I really doubt the Mr.T likeness will ammount to anything, especialy since there are far more obvious offenders.

He even talks like the Mr.T persona too.

The Mike Tyson thing used his real name in the original title, it really had nothing to do with a cameo/likeness. Numerious sports games that used the name of the person had to change it later on for re-releases. If there was a sprite version of the character the majority of the time they just put sunglasses over the face to obscure the likeness(they did with with the Offroad series). It's not Earthbound:Featuring Mr.T or anything.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 7, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

katkillad2 posted:

Are people forgetting what the big music industry is like? They have no problem trying to ruin peoples lives with lawsuits for illegally downloading the latest Brittany Spears album, imagine what they would try to do with Nintendo.

The point breaker with this of course is that Robo's theme in Chrono Trigger is "Never going to give you up" by Rick Astley and that game has been remade a half dozen times (counterpoint: that song has probably been played a billion times where royalties should have been asked and hasn't been) so why is Nintendo so afraid of EarthBound?

I'd guess because they already got threatened before.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

katkillad2 posted:

The problem is that they re-released that version of Punch-Out without Mike Tyson around the late life of the NES along with other handful of classic NES game, and all they needed to do was just remove Nice Tyson's intro at the start and change the sprite to Mr. Dream. That probably took little effort to do on their part. The fact that they'd have to totally conive the creator to change the music, then write the music, then compose the music, then input said mucic into the game would take a lot more effort than Punch-Out!! had.

I would love for a VC version of Earthbound in the US but until they can convince the creator to alter the music it probably won't happen. :(

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Not to backseat mod but we should get away from all the Earthbound talk. It's not going to happen and any discussion on the contrary is just nerd fantasy until NOA throws us a bone. I know it's the principle of it, but if you want to experience any of the games in the Mother series you can do so easily thanks to the dedicated fanbase. This probably contributes heavily to Nintendo's apathy on the subject!

So anyhow, I can't believe I'll be sampling Monster Hunter two weeks from now. Picking up my Wii U in November and dicking around in Nintendo Land, March seemed so far away. It's such a pleasant surprise I'll get to try 80% of the reason I bought the loving console a month in advance.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The "great" thing about the legal system in the US is, it doesn't really matter if your intentions are lawfully just or not. I remember that EA got into some legal trouble when they had a Legends team with a lot of players who weren't named but could be identified as probably being those players. I just looked it up and apparently the lawsuit was dismissed but how much in lawyer fees did that cost EA? If Mr. T wants to sue someone for using his likeness I pity the fool! I imagine the profit to be made from putting Earthbound on the virtual console isn't probably worth the risk.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Bobnumerotres posted:

Not to backseat mod but we should get away from all the Earthbound talk. It's not going to happen and any discussion on the contrary is just nerd fantasy until NOA throws us a bone. I know it's the principle of it, but if you want to experience any of the games in the Mother series you can do so easily thanks to the dedicated fanbase. This probably contributes heavily to Nintendo's apathy on the subject!

So anyhow, I can't believe I'll be sampling Monster Hunter two weeks from now. Picking up my Wii U in November and dicking around in Nintendo Land, March seemed so far away. It's such a pleasant surprise I'll get to try 80% of the reason I bought the loving console a month in advance.

Could this subforum afford to have a "All Things Nintendo" thread?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you put a moratorium on boring circular played-out "arguments" then you might as well delete the entire thread and every thread like it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Could this subforum afford to have a "All Things Nintendo" thread?

There already have been a few "General Nintendo Stuff" threads and they bomb because ban threats get handed out when any of the following things come up:

A. Nintendo is doomed
B. Earthbound
C. The poor quality of [insert series here] (usually Zelda) compared to its glory days.

And it's honestly for the best because it'd just be a never ending spiral of :spergin: that amounts to nothing instead of insightful discussion.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Also part of the reason earthbound is so expensive on the secondary market is that there are people out there who own hundreds of copies. The game was not a low production run at all, it had around the same numbers as Mother 2 in Japan and was a full blown release. Meanwhile Mother 2 can be had for mere pennies, it's 20 dollars at the most but you can find it for around 5-10 bucks. People are hoarding it thinking it's going to go up like Gold Prices and they'll have enough to retire on, just like how people thought comics books and action figures would do the same in the 90's.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The other day I bought The Cave in a drunken stupor, and drat, do I regret it. Aside from the narration and and the quirky characters I don't find much of it very appealing. The gameplay is incredibly boring and the puzzles are overly simplistic. I know a lot of people commented on this already but I didn't know at the time, I just went ahead trusting DF without knowing anything about the game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chernabog posted:

The other day I bought The Cave in a drunken stupor, and drat, do I regret it. Aside from the narration and and the quirky characters I don't find much of it very appealing. The gameplay is incredibly boring and the puzzles are overly simplistic. I know a lot of people commented on this already but I didn't know at the time, I just went ahead trusting DF without knowing anything about the game.

From what I've heard a patch is in the works that'll fix the sometimes wonky physics and several game-breaking bugs/traps.

If that isn't the issue you're having and you just think the game at its core is bad then I'm sorry dude. If it makes you feel better I've spent 1200+ dollars on steam games in total and all of my PC gaming is TF2, Dark Souls, SWTor, and Path of Exile. Only one of those games wasn't free.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I haven't experienced any bugs, really. I just think the mechanics are poorly conceived. Too much backtracking. Too much walking around with different characters. Then the characters don't even feel that different to each other. Compare it to Trine, where what character you pick actually changes how you play. In here, most of the puzzles can be solved with any character. If it happens to need a special character then their ability is basically just a way to get to the other side.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Chernabog posted:

I really like the game but the narration isn't good, it feels like it was written the the Zybourne Clock team.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Meh, it made me smirk a couple of times. It is no Portal or Bastion though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

katkillad2 posted:

...they had a contract with Tyson to use his likeness in a video game, which had since expired - and they were absolutely using his likeness to make money. It's not the same thing at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We could always use the Wii U thread to talk about its games, its miiverse, the modern face of Nintendo operations, and sweet sweet Xenoblades new baby.

Frankly the most interesting thing is that Nintendo is restructuring their game divisions not out of emergency like Sony but out of a perceived inefficiency. I find that interesting as heck. Nintendo is often seen as a slow dinosaur since they have been making games for over 30 years. They beat Atari's rear end with a cheaper faster machine and a president that thought marketing shouldn't be telling its developers what games to make.
This is the Nintendo most of us grew up loving.

That Nintendo changed to me with the start of the Ds and the Wii. I can't put my finger on it yet. But this Iwata Nintendo is different. They are breaking from the pissing contest of hardware power and risking it all on innovative hardware. And its working. And as of late they are restructuring and collaborating like never before. I haven't been this excited about Nintendo since I saw my baby sitter play super Mario for the first time.

Oh and whatever this is...

I am honestly surprised they didn't doctor it up to look like Fludd.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 7, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Looks like Google Maps? Mapping out the Nintendo HQ?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, that's exactly what it is. Japan's getting the Streetview app thing today, that pic is from Iwata Asks.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I hate to belabor the point about Earthbound, but I have a feeling there's more to it than just copyright issues with specific songs. In Brawl, absolutely no music originating from Mother 2 appears at all. I'm fairly certain Fourside's music was the only track from Melee that wasn't carried over to Brawl, but a reference to the track appears internally in the code. There's also references to new renditions of Mother 2 songs that just never got made for the game. I'm fairly certain Fourside isn't one of the pieces that had copyright issues, so it's always been suspect to me.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Looks like Rayman Legends is delayed until September. It's also coming to 360 and PS3 which I mention because you could infer that Murphy levels must not be a major focus of the game if it's getting ported to other consoles.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/rayman-legends-delayed-to-september-also-coming-to-xbox-360-and/

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Atomicated posted:

Looks like Rayman Legends is delayed until September. It's also coming to 360 and PS3 which I mention because you could infer that Murphy levels must not be a major focus of the game if it's getting ported to other consoles.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/rayman-legends-delayed-to-september-also-coming-to-xbox-360-and/

Haha, well it looks like I won't be buying a U this month like I planned. Guess I'll be waiting 'til MonHan comes out.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Atomicated posted:

Who the gently caress delays a game by seven months the very month it's supposed to come out? This is ridiculous.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Jesus Christ, they're sending that thing to die. GTA 5 comes out in September!

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I was really banking on being able to play that this month. Oh well, some money saved at least?

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Atomicated posted:

The more people who have the opportunity to play the game, the better. However, delaying what appeared to be a nearly complete game for the sake of having a simultaneous launch rubs me the wrong way.

As an aside, given the game's new release date, I wouldn't be surprised if it joins Orbis and Durango's respective launch line-ups later in the year.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 7, 2013

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Paying Nintendo to host/promote that eShop demo this far out probably feels a little silly now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, this is kind of a blessing I guess? At least we know now it's coming to multiple platforms, unlike the poor saps who got suckered into NG3: Razor's Edge only to just find out an even more expanded version of that is coming to PS3 and 360.

The Operative posted:

As an aside, given the game's new release date, I wouldn't be surprised if it joins Orbis and Durango's respective launch line-ups later in the year.

Yeah, I just thought of that. Durango and Orbis are supposed to be November-Decemberish right? I could see it joining up, like people think GTA 5 is, to their lineups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Policenaut posted:

Jesus Christ, they're sending that thing to die. GTA 5 comes out in September!

I think the audiences for GTA and Rayman are made up of different demographics even if there's a good amount of overlap.

Now if Nintendo commissioned a New Super Mario Bros. U2 title for release in September just to spite Ubisoft, then that would be sending the game out to die at retail.

• Locked thread