Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

yay, it's the 80s again!

I think every car should be available in construction zone orange.

Honestly, I really like it. Ford gave the Mustang a one year only color in 1996 called Bright Tangerine and I've loved orange cars since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
RWD dreamsicle. :swoon:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Not a wife/GF, but I do worry about one of my friends. She passed her test last year, and her driving is ok, but she has both stupid learner habits that can be blamed entirely on the idiocy they teach learners (bogs the engine and shifts up too early, slow shuffly-hand steering), she is also not very spacially aware (left/right confusion when doing parking manoeuvres), and her observations and lane discipline are quite lax. She'll wander into the middle of the two lanes on a dual carriageway, or sail up to roundabouts without noticing there's someone coming along with right of way.

Shuffly-hand steering can be quick, but not if you do it 100% strictly the way they teach it. The reason it's taught like that is to make learners slow the gently caress down in corners so they have time to survery the surroundings, identify possible dangers and so on. Done right shuffly-hand steering keeps both hands on the wheel as much as possible, so it's (theoretically) safer. And by 'done right' I mean you shouldn't just move your hands 10cm up and down. You should reach over and grab the other side of the wheel and describe half circles with both hands, alternating as you're turning it. You're not strictly supposed to reach across the wheel because of the airbag, but gently caress that noise, I want to be able to steer.

Anyway, bad drivers. My old boss drove like a goddamn idiot on the motorway. He'd stay in the left lane by default, no matter the amount of traffic. He'd only grudgingly move over to the right lane briefly to let people pass, usually after they'd been tailgating him for at least a minute and flashed their high beams at least once. He'd always follow this up with some kind of annoyed remark at how impatient other people were. Admittedly, this didn't happen a lot, since he always did at least 30kph over the limit.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

my mom doesn't go around people or drive aggressively but she sure as hell has this problem in clear traffic. She is either accelerating or braking with not much in between, even if shes gunning it through a row of red light.

Most people seem to drive this way and ya I dont get it either. I really believe they'll look back at us in the future and boggle we let normal people operate their own car for 100 years.

blk posted:

Also, my fiancée was driving us home from a show last night, 2 hours away on the interstate. She stayed in the left lane the whole time, even if someone was on her rear end and wanted to get around (they all ended up passing on the right). Her speed varied 20 under/over even though the speed limit and traffic flow didn't change. Who is this person I am marrying and how do I get them to stop? :cripes:

Edit: I should make her read the book. Also traffic flow didn't change, not did.

Generally speaking, traffic flow is a function of traffic volume (or passenger cars per hour per lane). As traffic gets heavier, speeds decrease. In fact, between 55 and 75 mph, the greatest effect on overall speed is volume and the greater the volume of cars and the faster the free-flow speed, the greater the effect on overall speed (75 mph drops to 54 mph whereas 55 mph only drops to 50 mph in LOS E).

Someone driving in the left lane at less than (but not significantly less than) the desired/required speed - 'normalized' over great distances - really doesn't affect the flow rate all that much.

Still, I'm a firm believer that with the advent of the automatic transmission - we, as a whole, have become lazier, less aware drivers. That's what I'm researching now - and haven't yet come to causation/correlation -- but the data isn't as accurate as I'd like, particularly in the 1960s and early 1970s.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

blk posted:

Also, my fiancée was driving us home from a show last night, 2 hours away on the interstate. She stayed in the left lane the whole time, even if someone was on her rear end and wanted to get around (they all ended up passing on the right). Her speed varied 20 under/over even though the speed limit and traffic flow didn't change. Who is this person I am marrying and how do I get them to stop? :cripes:

I am convinced that people who drive almost exclusively in major cities do this. People in these cities never learn that the left lane is a place to be temporarily rather then a place to pass. There also seems to be a little psychology that says "if I'm in the fast lane then I'm going fast."

blk posted:

I did, she didn't take the suggestion well. It was a little bit better after that but it's happened several times before and I imagine it will happen again.

It will. My wife is the same way and I've learned that I would much rather be the passenger of the jackals in the left lane then tell her she is doing it wrong.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The one that bugs me on our highway now is that a lot of other drivers are slowly being accustomed to passing on the right because slow-moving drivers stick in the left and middle lane and never move (because being in the right lane means you're slow, and I'm not slow, I am going exactly the speed limit and/or passing this other guy at a 0.7 kph differential).

So when there actually is an opening and I set up for a pass in the left lane, occasionally when I go to merge back into the middle lane there's some rear end in a top hat who shot up the right lane and undertook the guy I just overtook and is trying to merge into the middle lane at the same time.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I hate having to pass people on the right, but around here it's just a fact of life due to non-existent lane discipline and I do it all the time.

Also, at least in WA, it's not illegal to pass on the right on roads with 2 or more lanes: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.115

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Guinness posted:

I hate having to pass people on the right, but around here it's just a fact of life due to non-existent lane discipline and I do it all the time.

Also, at least in WA, it's not illegal to pass on the right on roads with 2 or more lanes: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.115

Same here in Massachusetts, Nissan Leafs and Prius love the left lane on RT3. They also love to merge at 20mph than cut to the left lane going 45! Fun times, and with this storm coming to buttfuck us immediately expecting to watch a load of folks spin off into ditches. Because they think AWD/4WD makes them superpowered.

Edit: Might as well add that there is a Driving School in Kingston Mass that has kids learning in Leafs. It seems like the worst car for doing that kind of work since you can't have many kids in a row take turns driving.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BabyMauler posted:

watch a load of folks spin off into ditches. Because they think AWD/4WD makes them superpowered.

This is my favorite part about snow storms. We don't get a lot of snow in the lowlands here, but when we do it's almost all AWD/4WD vehicles in ditches.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BabyMauler posted:

watch a load of folks spin off into ditches. Because they think AWD/4WD makes them superpowered.
God, the number of people who say "It's all right for you, you've got four wheel drive." when it's snowy. No, it's all right for me because I've got snow tyres and I know roughly what the gently caress I'm doing.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
I would just like to point out as a young person who got a drivers license after 2000 at no point did anyone ever educate me on any of the following driving topics: Left lane being for passing, merging onto roads at all (other than yielding if there is a yield sign), how roundabouts work, handling any sort of weather at all, and reacting to common dangerous situations. Things that were covered: Doing a 3 point turn in an empty parking lot, driving a 1/2 mile on 30 mph suburban streets, stopping at a stop sign and turning, and parking on a hill.

Basically I am saying every time you are on the road you are going to die a horrible fiery death caused by bad drivers.

E: vvvv Good point, 2 guesses where I got my license.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 7, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It really depends on where you got your license. We had a lot of passing in left only, roundabouts and how to drive in the snow.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Powershift posted:

yay, it's the 80s again!

I heard the WRX was going to be separated from the Impreza.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

I heard the WRX was going to be separated from the Impreza.

Next year. This is the "final year" of the GE/GH/GR body style and so this is their sendoff package/colour.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Fucknag posted:

Holy poo poo that guy is my new hero.

This is fantastic, and he is completely right.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the new 2003 BMW Elantra 5 door is here guys.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can't quite tell from the pictures but it's loving huge, like 7 inches longer than the SportWagon.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Is it some kind of scam where they try to make the dimensions just so for it to count as a light truck for CAFE or something

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Powershift posted:

yay, it's the 80s again!

I love orange cars. Also, you can't post JUST the WRX!

That vent by the front wheel looks really awkward, placement-wise.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Devyl posted:

That vent by the front wheel looks really awkward, placement-wise.

It might be ugly, but it's supposed to be functional.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Functional or not ts aesthetically terrible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

So the new 2003 BMW Elantra 5 door is here guys.

At least it isn't nearly as aggressively hideous as the old 5-series GT.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I have to admit, on some twisted level I really want to see them make an M3 GT.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well the front isn't so bad, because I think they're using the front fascia of one of the higher trims of the 3 series? The rear 3 quarter is...unfortunate.

GM is back in the diesel small car game.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Feb/13-chicago-show/0207-cruze-diese-engine.html

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
'Quiet, smooth performance'

Really? That rattly old thing?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

'Quiet, smooth performance'

Really? That rattly old thing?

I'm not sure because the details are scarce the judging from the picture that's not the same engine as the Australian one.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Know how all the auto manufacturers are switching to small displacement turbocharged engines to get similar power with large boosts in fuel efficiency? And still pretending it's the 70s when "Turbo" was synonymous for "performance" when it comes to badging and premium pricing? Consumer reports says they're full of poo poo in the real world.

Yahoo posted:

Small turbocharged engines are marketed as delivering the power of a large engine, with the fuel economy of a smaller one. That's a tempting proposition, but our testing shows these small-displacement turbos are not delivering on the promises.

By now, we've tested many cars with these engines, and lots of competitors with traditional, naturally-aspirated powerplants, big and small. Generally, the turbocharged cars have slower acceleration and no better fuel economy than the models with bigger, conventional engines. Looking at EPA fuel-economy estimates (calculated based on laboratory tests), some of these cars' turbocharged engines seem to have an advantage. But we found those results don't match the findings from our own fuel-economy tests.

The latest example is the collection of EcoBoost Ford Fusions we tested, which come with small, direct-injection, turbocharged four-cylinder engines. The smallest one—a 1.6-liter producing 173 hp—is a $795 option over the basic conventional 2.5-liter four cylinder on Fusion SE models. But that car's 0-60 mph acceleration time trails most competitors, and its 25 mpg overall places it among the worst of the crop of recently-redesigned family sedans. The Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, and Nissan Altima, all with conventional 2.4- or 2.5-liter four-cylinder engines, get an additional 2, 5, and 6 mpg, respectively. And all accelerate more quickly.

The larger among Ford's EcoBoost four-cylinder engines, the turbocharged 231-hp, 2.0-liter, is billed as having the power of a V6 but delivering the fuel economy of a four-cylinder. However, our so-equipped Fusion Titanium returned 22 mpg (which pales against the 25 and 26 mpg we recorded for the best V6 family sedans), slower acceleration and reduced refinement compared to its V6-powered peers.

Another example is our tests of the Chevrolet Cruze. Our base Cruze had the 1.8-liter four-cylinder; our higher-end 1LT version came with the 1.4-liter turbo four cylinder. While the 1.4-liter feels marginally more powerful in daily driving, it was barely faster to 60 mph, and it got the same fuel economy as the larger engine—26 mpg overall.

Turbochargers pump extra air into the engine to deliver more power. But all engines have to be operated at a very specific air-to-fuel ratio. So this extra air has to be augmented with extra fuel, which may offset any savings from shrinking engine sizes.

One benefit to the turbocharged engines is an abundance of torque at low to mid rpm. In daily driving, this means a more effortless feeling of thrust with reduced need to downshift while climbing hills or when delivering the kind of moderate acceleration most drivers demand. That can make a car feel more responsive, even if its actual acceleration times from a standstill are slower. However, not all of these turbocharged models deliver that benefit. Many, especially those smaller 1.4- and 1.6-liter engines, still downshift frequently to keep up with traffic. And all but one of the tested cars have slower mid-range acceleration from 45-65 mph.

In contrast, BMW's turbocharged four-cylinder engines seem to deliver both good fuel economy and acceleration: The 2.0-liter turbocharged four cylinder contributes to 28 mpg overall in our last tested 328i sedan. It improved mileage only marginally in the 2013 X3 SUV compared to the six-cylinder 2011 X3 we tested, with essentially identical power and acceleration but somewhat comprised refinement. The 2.0-liter turbo four cylinder engine we've tested in Audis and Volkswagens usually return impressive mileage, though we haven't tested any identical model powered by two different engines for such a direct comparison.
There's a table in the link below with actual measured mileages.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/consumer-reports-finds-small-turbo-engines-dont-deliver-050100955.html

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Conclusion: People can't drive for poo poo.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
My take on that is simple: Automakers are using turbos on smaller engines, but not really opening them up properly like they should. What's the first thing most performance-oriented people do when they buy a turbocharged car? Get an ECU flash or re-map to adjust the turbochargers' performance.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 7, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Conclusion: People can't drive for poo poo.
Ugh, yeah, people just don't understand how modern small engines like being used.

:j: "My car feels really slow, I think there's something wrong with it."
*Uses quarter-throttle and upshifts 1500cc Civic at 1900rpm*

:clint: "Nowt wrong with this."
*Grabs car by metaphorical scruff of the neck and finds an Audi driver to pick on on a country road*

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Ugh, yeah, people just don't understand how modern small engines like being used.

:j: "My car feels really slow, I think there's something wrong with it."
*Uses quarter-throttle and upshifts 1500cc Civic at 1900rpm*

:clint: "Nowt wrong with this."
*Grabs car by metaphorical scruff of the neck and finds an Audi driver to pick on on a country road*

So is the first one literally how CR tests the 45-65 MPH performance of their cars?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Didn't we just go over this CR poo poo a few pages ago?

Surprise, small turbo charged engines don't get 40 mpg. I'm shocked.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's anecdotal I know, but my parents had a first gen Acura RDX with a 2.4L Turbo 4 cylinder. It got worse fuel economy than their new second gen RDX with a 3.0L V6. The new one is also a lot smoother to drive.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Didn't we just go over this CR poo poo a few pages ago?

Surprise, small turbo charged engines don't get 40 mpg. I'm shocked.

Except when they do? I have a 12 Cruze Eco manual and have been getting 33 city/46 highway/36 combined. Most of my driving is city.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

Except when they do? I have a 12 Cruze Eco manual and have been getting 33 city/46 highway/36 combined. Most of my driving is city.

Congrats, you own a manual and know how to drive it to get the most out of it. Problem is 90% of the population drive automatics.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

leica posted:

Congrats, you own a manual and know how to drive it to get the most out of it. Problem is 90% of the population drive automatics.

Ah, so it's not a problem with the cars, it's a problem with the drivers!

I wonder what could be done to combat this. Perhaps some sort of rigorous testing regimen could be instituted? For best results, you would need to teach from a solid theoretical foundation to cover the laws, signs etc. involved in driving, as well as basic methods for fuel-efficient driving. Furthering this, some amount of practical lessons would obviously need to be instituted, in order for the driver to prove their ability to handle their car in a practical, safe and economical manner. You could even go so far as to bar people who are unable to pass these tests from driving!

I wonder why no one has thought of this before?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

GM is back in the diesel small car game.

quote:

The engine has an overboost feature capable of increasing torque to an estimated 280 lb-ft (380 Nm), for stronger acceleration periods of about 10 seconds.

Hell yeah! :getin:

I want a diesel so bad. I shopped the Cruise pretty good too before getting my '12 Focus.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah, so it's not a problem with the cars, it's a problem with the drivers!

No, the problem is with the automatics.

quote:

Many, especially those smaller 1.4- and 1.6-liter engines, still downshift frequently to keep up with traffic.

Unless you have a plan to promote manuals and hypermiling I don't think there's a solution short of inventing some super hypermiling automatic that does everything perfectly for all the lazy rear end consumer drivers.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Also, another giant problem with the EPA numbers is that car companies try and game the system (e.g, specially programmed shift points in the transmission, skip shift, incredibly low shift lights) or just flat out lie.

The numbers they use also look like city or combined values, and in terms of fuel economy: there is a set limit of energy you expend to get a car moving from top -> regular traffic speeds in a given time period, and adding a turbo and a smaller engine isn't going to do anything to help that. Large fuel savings are going to be cruising at highway speeds, so it's important to stick to the speed limit and use cruise control.

edit:

leica posted:

Unless you have a plan to promote manuals and hypermiling I don't think there's a solution short of inventing some super hypermiling automatic that does everything perfectly for all the lazy rear end consumer drivers.

Please show your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

leica posted:

I don't get why most automatics don't come with various pre-configured settings so people can switch from sport to eco or highway/city/gridlock whatever. It can't be difficult to just have a button that changes a couple variables in the computer.