Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Make it need a constant internet connection and make sure games are console locked the instant they are put into the console, never to be used again outside of that console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greatn posted:

If Nintendo wants good third party support again, here's the secret: release a system with comparable capabilities and price to the competition at the same time as the competition, with a sensical architecture and no gimmicks that require extensive development time to take into account. Like for example, if the competition uses a large disc format, don't use cartridges. Or if the competition can play media, maybe make your thing able to do that also.
Maybe next gen.
Uh when was the last Nintendo console that used cartridges what the gently caress is this a time capsule post from 1995

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Crowbear posted:

They could have been in negotiation with Nintendo to keep it exclusive (and releasing this month to plug a huge hole in the Wii U release schedule) and had that fall through recently.

And even if the Wii U hardware sales have been fine, how has the 3rd party attach rate been? We know that NSMB and Nintendoland did well, but did ZombiU actually sell a respectable number of copies? That could be what scared Ubisoft off.

Well, we know that Sonic Racing did 260k on Wii U, out of ~930k total. And while obviously Miiverse is a terrible way to judge sales, the ZombiU board has consistently been one of the most popular ones, so there's probably at least some justification there.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

This is going to be a bad self-fulfilling prophecy. Instead of releasing at a time when WiiU owners are starving for new software they are going to be just a face in the crowd. Sales will be lower and that’s retro-justification for the decision to not blow the release on the WiiU.

Is it too :tinfoil: to think that after the backlash from the Murphy=50% of game comments that they retooled the game to be much more traditional and at that point there was no reason to be WiiU exclusive?

Alternatively mayhaps the rumors of a touchpad on the ps4 controller are true and they want a ready launch game that can kinect/ps4touch for people to play with new features.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Crowbear posted:

They could have been in negotiation with Nintendo to keep it exclusive (and releasing this month to plug a huge hole in the Wii U release schedule) and had that fall through recently.

And even if the Wii U hardware sales have been fine, how has the 3rd party attach rate been? We know that NSMB and Nintendoland did well, but did ZombiU actually sell a respectable number of copies? That could be what scared Ubisoft off.

I think it is too early to make decisions like that based on 3rd party attach rate considering how new the console is. As far as exclusive negotiations are concerned, do companies really continue to negotiate like that so close to release? That is another thing which I would think would occur much earlier in the development cycle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Is it too :tinfoil: to think that after the backlash from the Murphy=50% of game comments that they retooled the game to be much more traditional and at that point there was no reason to be WiiU exclusive?
I dunno whether they retooled it or not.. and what we're talking about is a comment from a live interview from a youtube video on a show floor. So it's tough to say how much validity the initial statement ever had.

I will say that I don't think the Murphy stuff was ever designed with the Wii U in intention though. I felt like Ubisoft wanted to be sneaky and kill two birds with one stone by developing an iphone game inside of a console game. I'll eat my hat if Legends comes out and there isn't an iPhone game released after that contains all of the Murphy levels from the game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno whether they retooled it or not.. and what we're talking about is a comment from a live interview from a youtube video on a show floor. So it's tough to say how much validity the initial statement ever had.

I will say that I don't think the Murphy stuff was ever designed with the Wii U in intention though. I felt like Ubisoft wanted to be sneaky and kill two birds with one stone by developing an iphone game inside of a console game. I'll eat my hat if Legends comes out and there isn't an iPhone game released after that contains all of the Murphy levels from the game.

Thats a good point. Bet you are right on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Uh when was the last Nintendo console that used cartridges what the gently caress is this a time capsule post from 1995

They used a small format in 1995, making certain games impossible to achieve on the system, then in 2001 they went with a wacky mini disc which was again small, eliminating the possibility of DVD functionality which everyone else had, skipping it yet again in 2006. In 2012 they go with "high capacity"disc but not blu ray because god forbid they pay a licensing fee and again they miss a capability which every other console will have in a machine designed to take over your living room. Nintendo's format blunders have been ongoing starting from 1995.

I'd love to see stats of how many U owners have an external storage device hooked up, too.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I felt like Ubisoft wanted to be sneaky and kill two birds with one stone by developing an iphone game inside of a console game.

Ugh...I know you are only making your best guess but I hope this doesn't become a new industry trend. I am not saying that with any regards to my feelings about the Murphy content, but more so because that sounds like a industry recipe which will result in lower quality game content for the same $60.

edit:

greatn posted:

They used a small format in 1995, making certain games impossible to achieve on the system, then in 2001 they went with a wacky mini disc which was again small, eliminating the possibility of DVD functionality which everyone else had, skipping it yet again in 2006. In 2012 they go with "high capacity"disc but not blu ray because god forbid they pay a licensing fee and again they miss a capability which every other console will have in a machine designed to take over your living room. Nintendo's format blunders have been ongoing starting from 1995.

They made the right choice this time. Blu-ray is not something worth investing in. That kind of money would be better invested in delivering access to streaming content.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 7, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greatn posted:

I'd love to see stats of how many U owners have an external storage device hooked up, too.
I don't, but then I haven't needed to yet. The majority of digital purchases I make on consoles are XBLA-type titles, not retail releases. I can fit a lot of XBLA type games on the internal drive. There just needs to be more! More I say!

Xavier434 posted:

Ugh...I know you are only making your best guess but I hope this doesn't become a new industry trend. I am not saying that with any regards to my feelings about the Murphy content, but more so because that sounds like a industry recipe which will result in lower quality game content for the same $60.
I could be wrong but I believe there's an article from E3 where Ubisoft's CEO said their plan was to make console games that could easily be ported to mobile.

It's probably easier with Rayman than their other properties because the UbiArt engine is already running on iDevices at a flawless 60FPS even on Retina devices. They have a game on the app store that basically plays and looks and feels exactly like Origins, but Rayman moves automatically and the levels are designed around that (it's not an endless runner).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 7, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Nintendo not supporting DVD is the reason 3rd party games don't sell very well? Do you know literally anything at all?

Cartridge decision started the trend, but current poor third party sales are caused by Nintendo titles sucking up oxygen, not some crazy theory about DVDs.

Also, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 by a good bit, and slightly under the Xbox.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

theflyingorc posted:

Nintendo not supporting DVD is the reason 3rd party games don't sell very well? Do you know literally anything at all?

Cartridge decision started the trend, but current poor third party sales are caused by Nintendo titles sucking up oxygen, not some crazy theory about DVDs.

Also, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 by a good bit, and slightly under the Xbox.

It's like people don't realize the weakest console won the last two generations :v:

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
Releasing Rayman simultaneously across every platform absolutely makes sense. However, releasing in that particular part of the year does not. Come September, the conversation will be centered upon GTA V, Orbis, Durango, and Nintendo's Wii U games. Legends will certainly get a modest amount of attention, though not as much as if it released during the quieter parts of the 2013 or 2014.

Edit: I wonder if, given the new release date, Ubisoft is perfectly content with matching or slightly exceeding Origins's sales figures. In a sense, Ubisoft is cutting their losses on a title which was specifically for marketed for a device that they expected would sell much better than it is right now.

The Operative fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 7, 2013

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Surely a slightly improved version of Rayman is going to also be a launch title for Orbis/Durango right? Ubisoft loves having launch titles and September is going to be relatively close to those launches even if they're in November. I'd imagine they'd be able to get pretty good sales if they're one of the first titles on those platforms.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

Not what I said at all. Wacky formats made third parties not even bother in many cases. Lack of DvD support did result in less market penetration however, which of course lowered sales across the board.

Nintendo have not released a console with all three of comparable specs, features and format since the SNES. The WiiU is comparable to PS360 minus a glut of media features or internal storage, but also six to seven years late against a combined install base over a hundred million, and likely to be outsold by newer more powerful hardware in a year's time, so why would a third party ever bother?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Louisgod posted:

It's actually a smart business decision on Ubisoft's part since they'd be releasing a game over three consoles in a more busy quarter of the year as opposed to the lull that you see in Jan - March AND to a larger userbase. Business-wise it's a good move, obviously it's annoying for those of us with a WiiU since we were expecting the game literally next month. Take off your Nintendo tinted glasses and put their decision in perspective.

I think you're wildly overestimating the game's sales potential if you think releasing it in a "more busy" period is good for it.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Games sell more during the Fall because that's when more people are excited about games and thinking about buying them.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Atomicated posted:

Surely a slightly improved version of Rayman is going to also be a launch title for Orbis/Durango right? Ubisoft loves having launch titles and September is going to be relatively close to those launches even if they're in November. I'd imagine they'd be able to get pretty good sales if they're one of the first titles on those platforms.
I agree. Delay it again to Christmas.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

greatn posted:

Nintendo have not released a console with all three of comparable specs, features and format since the SNES. The WiiU is comparable to PS360 minus a glut of media features or internal storage, but also six to seven years late against a combined install base over a hundred million, and likely to be outsold by newer more powerful hardware in a year's time, so why would a third party ever bother?

Because the Wii sold more then the other systems and I'm betting the WiiU will sell more then whatever systems come out next year.

But third parties are idiots.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The WiiU is not the Wii by a long shot, culturally, price wise, time frame wise, advertising wise. I really doubt it's going to out sale the coming Microsoft and Sony machines, unless those rumors of always on internet drm are true.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

The Monarch posted:

Games sell more during the Fall because that's when more people are excited about games and thinking about buying them.

The big AAA dogs sell more then. This is coming out with GTA and new consoles overshadowing everything else (and yes, I know that GTA and Rayman aren't exactly targeting the same audience, but they're still competing for shelf space and in-store advertising).

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

greatn posted:

Considering we don't know the launch price, feature set, or game lineups of Orbis and Durango yet, it's a bit early to call them outselling the Wii U 'likely'. Nintendo could have put out something comparable to the reported specs of those systems. It would have either been really expensive or it would have been sold at an even greater loss than the Wii U, but it's not like it would kill them. But the thing is, they're not Sony or Microsoft: they don't have a games division that's allowed to hemorrhage money in pursuit of another goal, making money with games and game consoles is their goal. I doubt that you're going to see another Nintendo system with comparable specs+features+format. From what I've heard, from a friend who works at EA, the biggest obstacle to Wii U development is that their kit support isn't good, which is especially a problem given the different architecture.

You can complain about the effects all you want, but Nintendo's not going to follow a business model that takes five years to turn a profit... if it ever does.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't see any advantage in delaying Rayman to September if the Wii U game is done. Right now is such a slow time for game releases I am sure it would get some Wii U sales from people that just want something new to play.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm betting the WiiU will sell more then whatever systems come out next year.
There's absolutely no way this happens. The Wii was extremely popular in a wide range of demographics, and the reality is that a large portion of them never touched it again after the "newness" wore off. The WiiU absolutely cannot count on Wii owners to buy the WiiU. I'm guessing they'll sell less than half as many as they did with the Wii.

This is nothing more than speculation, so don't get mad about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
Maybe the Murphy parts are really terrible and delaying it for simultaneous release will mean that 360/PS3 users don't have months of bad reports to put them off buying their versions? People have mentioned ZombiU but I don't think that has sold that badly (relatively speaking - and based on miiverse popularity instead of actual figures). Surely the other Ubisoft titles such as the new Rabbids game have done worse.

Also I wonder what Nintendo is going to do about the Wii U demo units in UK branches of GAME - literally the only playable demo they had was Rayman.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I have never seen a console where third parties have been so happy with shooting themselves in the foot over their own releases.

It's like they've decided that they aren't even going to wait for the less than stellar fan reception for their bad games/bad ports/niche titles this time and instead wish to start out with the least appealing conditions for their games possible.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I thought one reason (of many) for Wii's success was that it offered something different enough from the other two consoles that it could be purchased WITH one of those two consoles. I don't know what exactly is going to convince someone to purchase both a Next PS -and- a Next Xbox, but I could see people buying one of them -and- a Wii U because of Zelda or Monster Hunter or other Nintendo titles.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah that's what I'm doing. I want a Nintendo console for the Nintendo games that will only ever appear on it. The rest I'll take where ever they're the best.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

a large portion of them never touched it again after the "newness" wore off.

The Wii had an attach rate comparable to the other two systems. This is one of those "everyone knows" falsehoods that circle around Nintendo in games journalism.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

I thought one reason (of many) for Wii's success was that it offered something different enough from the other two consoles that it could be purchased WITH one of those two consoles. I don't know what exactly is going to convince someone to purchase both a Next PS -and- a Next Xbox, but I could see people buying one of them -and- a Wii U because of Zelda or Monster Hunter or other Nintendo titles.

I remember when Wii60 was a thing...

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Balcony posted:

Maybe the Murphy parts are really terrible and delaying it for simultaneous release will mean that 360/PS3 users don't have months of bad reports to put them off buying their versions? People have mentioned ZombiU but I don't think that has sold that badly (relatively speaking - and based on miiverse popularity instead of actual figures). Surely the other Ubisoft titles such as the new Rabbids game have done worse.

Also I wonder what Nintendo is going to do about the Wii U demo units in UK branches of GAME - literally the only playable demo they had was Rayman.

I remember that the reaction to the Murphy sections being even hinted as a "significant" portion of the game drew some pretty negative reactions, on top of Legends being exclusive to a single platform.

I don't think the Murphy stuff was offensively bad or anything. It's not what I want out of Rayman, but I'm also pretty sure I don't represent everyone who wanted this game three weeks from now, which is really the core of all the anger.

I think it's pretty hilarious that people are as angry at IGN over the announcement as they are. For ONCE I don't think they necessarily did anything wrong, but people are accusing them of trolling Wii U fans over their teased "interesting news". It is interesting news! It just sucks titanic amounts of rear end :sigh:. I'd rather the game be out sooner for at least one system, but I can also see where Ubisoft is coming from.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

FoneBone posted:

I think you're wildly overestimating the game's sales potential if you think releasing it in a "more busy" period is good for it.

Swap out "more busy" with "more lucrative" then. Point is that every year, there's a January - March lull that's historically known to have subdued sales, so I wouldn't have been surprised if Rayman did horribly. At least with the delay they can released it across all platforms AND without having to discount it off the bat due to it already being on a console. Regardless of sales potential they have more to gain by the delay, hence why it's a solid business decision.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Leon Einstein posted:

the reality is that a large portion of them never touched it again after the "newness" wore off.

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing this stupid reasoning over and over again. It's one thing to say that the WiiU can't rely on the Wii userbase to buy a WiiU again and that it probably won't sell nearly as well (which is more than likely true and I've said as much), but it's false that people just dropped the Wii once the "newness" wore off; on the contrary, the attach rate was consistent and it was still popular years after its release. It's only been in the last 1 to 2 years that sales have really dropped off.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

But again, why did they not simply plan for that a while ago? Did they really make such a bone headed decision and not do a thing about it until the last minute only to drop this bomb on the fans? That isn't as much of a solid business decision as it is a "Oh crap we hosed up and now we have to do the next best thing" decision. Not saying I disagree with it overall mind you. It just strikes me as a result of very poor foresight and organization.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Xavier434 posted:

But again, why did they not simply plan for that a while ago? Did they really make such a bone headed decision and not do a thing about it until the last minute only to drop this bomb on the fans? That isn't as much of a solid business decision as it is a "Oh crap we hosed up and now we have to do the next best thing" decision. Not saying I disagree with it overall mind you. It just strikes me as a result of very poor foresight and organization.

I'm not sure if you're aware but Ubisoft is generally pretty dumb.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Xavier434 posted:

Today was their quarterly earnings call, which is when a lot of big announcements like this get made. They could have been planning on making this change for a while but just announced it today.

It's still very short notice for the fans though. If I had bought a Wii U recently in anticipation of Rayman I'd definitely be peeved.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So if there wasn't an earnings call would they have waited until release day to say it was delayed? I don't think there's a good spin out of this.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

So if there wasn't an earnings call would they have waited until release day to say it was delayed? I don't think there's a good spin out of this.

I guess if there wasn't an earning call they would have announced it earlier if anything. They just like to be able to tell investors that they're doing X that will make them more money on earning call days.

This is all speculation on my part, of course. It's totally possible that they're just incompetent.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 7, 2013

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Xavier434 posted:

The decision must have been finalized at Ubisoft within the past two months. In December, Ubisoft sent out a press release announcing Nintendo as the publisher for Legends in Japan. The deal sounded very similar to Nintendo publishing Ninja Gaiden 3. I can't imagine Nintendo doing that now, given that the game isn't a timed exclusive anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Louisgod posted:

Swap out "more busy" with "more lucrative" then. Point is that every year, there's a January - March lull that's historically known to have subdued sales, so I wouldn't have been surprised if Rayman did horribly. At least with the delay they can released it across all platforms AND without having to discount it off the bat due to it already being on a console. Regardless of sales potential they have more to gain by the delay, hence why it's a solid business decision.

I'm still skeptical that time of year is going to dominate "biggest release of of the quarter on a system where people are looking for games to justify their purchase".

Especially since I literally didn't know Rayman Origins was a thing until I heard about Rayman Legends - it had very little market awareness. While I get that there are many more potential customers in Xbox and PS3, it seems they could have pulled in some really solid numbers on temporary exclusivity, and then sold to the same "eh, why not?" crowd that bought Rayman Origins.

edit: Though I am obviously biased because I am mad I don't get my game soon.

double edit:

! The decision was made earlier! I just remembered that Nintendo's published release schedule didn't have Rayman on it, and we all commented "Weird, why are they not listing the biggest title of next month?"

• Locked thread