Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

derp posted:

I saw eagle rare single barrel for around 22$ and that seemed like a low price. Anyone have opinions on it?

It's been a long time but I remember it being sweet but otherwise unremarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
So I went back and tried Johnny Walker Black, and I'd like to slightly amend my statement to say that while it's not poo poo, the price tag doesn't offset its unremarkability enough for me to want to buy a bottle.

That said, I picked up Black Bottle a few days ago and have tried it twice so far. This isn't my first peated scotch by any means, but it's certainly the most intense. Interesting, but peaty flavors are more of a curiosity than something I'll be seeking out specifically. I certainly don't mind it accompanying other flavors, but I'm not sure I like something that uses it as a base. This will definitely be finished off, but probably not for awhile.

Speaking of which, I just recently had a few fingers out of the bottom of a bottle of Evan Williams 1783 that tasted a lot more fusel-ish than the rest of the bottle. Any idea what the cause of this could be? I've never seen such a change just from getting near the bottom.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Speaking of which, I just recently had a few fingers out of the bottom of a bottle of Evan Williams 1783 that tasted a lot more fusel-ish than the rest of the bottle. Any idea what the cause of this could be? I've never seen such a change just from getting near the bottom.

Depends on how long the bottle has been that low. Oxidization can do some funky stuff to your favorite bottle of spirits. Once I get near the bottom I make it a point to polish it off or move it to a smaller bottle.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

derp posted:

I had a glass of Talisker with dinner at a bar last night, what a kick in the mouth! I really enjoyed it but I don't think it's something I'd want to drink all the time. It calmed down a bit with a few drops of water, but I think I liked it better without any.

The talisker distiller's editions and 18 are a lot better than the 10, IMO, but either the pepper in talisker does it for you, or not. I agree with you that it's a fun treat sometimes. That being said, you can sometimes find a fun sampler pack that has small bottles of all of those three, for a really good price.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The 18 has been discontinued for quite some time now. :(

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

The 18 has been discontinued for quite some time now. :(

I think it's back. I know around 3 or 4 years ago it dried up, but you can pick it up again. Maybe they found some casks down the back of the sofa or something.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

biglads posted:

I think it's back. I know around 3 or 4 years ago it dried up, but you can pick it up again. Maybe they found some casks down the back of the sofa or something.
It's a widely available 'limited release' maybe a little more scarce than Oban 18, which is all over the place. They have almost doubled the price on it since the last batches as well...

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 5, 2013

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I have started experimenting with entry-level scotch recently. So far my collection is small, Speyburn 10, Grangestone 12. Yesterday I picked up McCelland Islay and I am hooked to this taste. I recall having a scotch tasting with family and got acquainted with scotch that is heavier on the smokey/peaty side. Does anyone have any other recommendations that might match it for taste/aroma/price range($20ish)?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 6, 2013

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I have started experimenting with entry-level scotch recently. So far my collection is small, Speyburn 10, Grangestone 12. Yesterday I picked up McCelland Islay and I am hooked to this taste. I recall having a scotch tasting with family and got acquainted with scotch that is heavier on the smokey/peaty side. Does anyone have any other recommendations that might match it for taste/aroma/price range($20ish)?

McClelland's Islay is an independent bottling from the Bowmore distillery. If you like their style, you might want to try the Bowmore 12 ($40ish) or the Bowmore Legend($25-30ish). Or, on the other hand, if you really like the peat flavor from Islay whiskies in general, the Laphroaig 10 ($40ish) is pretty much the finest example of what Islay has to offer.

Edit: Also, Black Bottle is a blended whiskey using a bunch of Islay single malts. It's like $16 and passable.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 6, 2013

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NightConqueror posted:

McClelland's Islay is an independent bottling from the Bowmore distillery. If you like their style, you might want to try the Bowmore 12 ($40ish) or the Bowmore Legend($25-30ish). Or, on the other hand, if you really like the peat flavor from Islay whiskies in general, the Laphroaig 10 ($40ish) is pretty much the finest example of what Islay has to offer.

Edit: Also, Black Bottle is a blended whiskey using a bunch of Islay single malts. It's like $16 and passable.

Whats the difference between peat flavor and style as you called it?

Also checked the prices, Virginia ABC. Bowmore legend is about $40 and even the Black Bottle is $27. May give the Bowmore a shot, but may as well stick with McClelland over the blended whisky.

I spent $25 per bottle for this Islay, my friend in Missouri spent $18. VA's liquor taxes are lame.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Whats the difference between peat flavor and style as you called it?

Sorry, I worded that weird. What I meant to say is, that if you like peaty whiskies and feel like trying something not from Bowmore, you ought to try Laphroaig. It does carry a bit more of a pricetag, however.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

NightConqueror posted:

Sorry, I worded that weird. What I meant to say is, that if you like peaty whiskies and feel like trying something not from Bowmore, you ought to try Laphroaig. It does carry a bit more of a pricetag, however.

I think I could give the Legend a go eventually. Right now I think I'm thoroughly satisfied with this one. I just love everything about it, it's smooth, the aroma is awesome, and I dig the taste a lot. And for the price, its prolly my only reasonable option right now.

Bought the first bottle yesterday, and tonight its already half gone. Luckily I purchased two more this morning.

I always figured scotch would be an expensive hobby, damned if I wasn't right.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 6, 2013

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought my first bottle of Laphroaig 10 yesterday and it's incredible. This is my first experience with a peaty single malt and I'm kind of afraid that I've opened a door that can never be closed. The first sip was kind of shocking but pretty soon I started noticing all sorts of other flavors besides the smoke. Ive always been more of a bourbon and rye drinker but this may be a game changer.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Chuck Biscuits posted:

I bought my first bottle of Laphroaig 10 yesterday and it's incredible. This is my first experience with a peaty single malt and I'm kind of afraid that I've opened a door that can never be closed. The first sip was kind of shocking but pretty soon I started noticing all sorts of other flavors besides the smoke. Ive always been more of a bourbon and rye drinker but this may be a game changer.

Yeah that's how it starts. I now have like 10 bottles of various ardbegs in my cabinet and I jumped on the SMWS offering from them this month. If someone is interested in a nuanced, sweeter Ardbeg, (but still plenty of peat) I would heavily endorse Ardbeg Galileo, their recent trendy release.

Welcome to the dark side. :getin:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Chuck Biscuits posted:

If you like that, you should get yourself some Lagavulin 16. It is, by far, my favorite whisk(e)y. It's got a cognac/armagnac richness to it that I love. If I could marry it, I probably would though my fiance probably wouldn't like that...

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Let's talk blends:

Here's one - Compass Box Great King Street. Bottled at 43%, non chill filtered and Compass Box even supplies us with info on the constituent products.

quote:

A Lowland Grain Whisky (fruity/perfumed) 46%
B Northern Highland Single Malt (malty/fruity) 28%
C Northern Highland Single Malt (grassy/perfumed) 17%
D Speyside Single Malt (meaty) 9%

Now while among most single malt enthusiasts blends are generally looked down upon as cheap and inferior, I think Compass Box shows they can be so much more. The balance of grains and single malt can be really pleasant and is often a nice diversion from aggressive Islay whiskies or the like. Certainly there are some rank ones out there, but I think there's quite many more which are worth trying at the very least.

BTW, I like 375 ml bottles. Gives you a chance to try something new without having to commit to the full price.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
Compass Box puts out some very nice expressions. I've only tried a few, but liked them all so far. I wasn't a fan of many blends until i started trying their expressions. I'll be hitting up Go Whiskey Weekend later this month and their stuff is near the top of my list to try when it comes to Scotch.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

A Lowland Grain Whisky (fruity/perfumed) 46%
B Northern Highland Single Malt (malty/fruity) 28%
C Northern Highland Single Malt (grassy/perfumed) 17%
D Speyside Single Malt (meaty) 9%
Not sure which grain whisky or whiskies they use, but B is Clynelish, C is Teaninich and D is Dailuaine.

I have not had Great King Street since Whiskyfest SF, but I love Asyla and perhaps Hedonism even more. Hedonism being 100% grain whiskies is as close as we're going to get to a craft Scottish bourbon. It's deliciously cake-like and creamy on top of traditional bourbon-esque notes.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

NightConqueror posted:

Out of curiosity, what ended up being the claimed "sample of 50 year old Scotch whisky" in the calendar?

Master of Malt 50 year old Speyside, 3rd edition. Tasted it last weekend, seemed to be a refill bourbon cask. Surprisingly lively for its age, not bad at all. Another good oldie in the set was a 40yo Glenfarclas.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

I have not had Great King Street since Whiskyfest SF, but I love Asyla and perhaps Hedonism even more. Hedonism being 100% grain whiskies is as close as we're going to get to a craft Scottish bourbon. It's deliciously cake-like and creamy on top of traditional bourbon-esque notes.

I'm really looking forward to trying out Hedonism. I've heard from a few folks who said something along the lines of "Scottish Bourbon". I've been on a bourbon kick lately so it sounds right up my alley.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

kidsafe posted:

Not sure which grain whisky or whiskies they use, but B is Clynelish, C is Teaninich and D is Dailuaine.

I haven't tried Hedonism yet, but I heard from somewhere that someone snuck a glass of it into a blind bourbon tasting and it ended up being one of the favorites.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I got a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel today, I couldn't remember if that was the EW everyone was saying was a great value for the low cost, but I hope so. Here is a pic of it with the rest of my modest whisky collection.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

derp posted:

I got a bottle of Evan Williams single barrel today, I couldn't remember if that was the EW everyone was saying was a great value for the low cost, but I hope so. Here is a pic of it with the rest of my modest whisky collection.

EW single barrel is a great value bourbon. Their small batch is pretty good as well if you can find it. Oddly enough I have a hard time finding the small batch where I am, but the single barrel is all over everywhere.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Having mentioned at my wine merchants that I wasn't much of a fan of blends they brought out a blend and asked me to try it. The Spice Tree (by Compass Box Whisky Co.) was simply superb. It's not cheap, running at about the same price here (UK) as a 10 year old good Malt (£37/$60) but is well worth a try. They also do a very peaty whisky which rivals Ardburg called, appropriately Peat Monster.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

PST posted:

Having mentioned at my wine merchants that I wasn't much of a fan of blends they brought out a blend and asked me to try it. The Spice Tree (by Compass Box Whisky Co.) was simply superb. It's not cheap, running at about the same price here (UK) as a 10 year old good Malt (£37/$60) but is well worth a try. They also do a very peaty whisky which rivals Ardburg called, appropriately Peat Monster.

I love their Peat Monster. If you like peaty scotch, it ranks right up there as a good one. Compass Box has shown how good blends can really be.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 9, 2013

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I had some of the Evan Williams last night. It was really woody and a little rough, and benifited a lot from a splash of water. I like the smell a lot, sort of buttery, if that's the right word. Not super great but definitely enjoyable and I'd say worth the 20$.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

PST posted:

Spice Tree is officially a blended malt, which means it contains none of the grain whisky you'd find in blended scotch. It contains malt whiskies from Clynelish, Teaninich, Dailuane and probably some others, but the secret is in their virgin French oak with toasted barrel heads. I've found Peat Monster to be significantly less peaty than the typical Islays as it uses some small amounts of Highland/Speyside malts in addition to whiskies from Laphroaig and Caol Ila.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I'd like to toss out a recommendation for Scotch fans wanting to get into American Whisky for Corsair Triple Smoke. The barley comes from 3 batches smoked with different things, beechwood, cherry wood, and peat. It's American and has a lot of bourbon/wheat whisky style sweetness, but it owes a lot to peated scotches.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

derp posted:

I had some of the Evan Williams last night. It was really woody and a little rough, and benifited a lot from a splash of water. I like the smell a lot, sort of buttery, if that's the right word. Not super great but definitely enjoyable and I'd say worth the 20$.

For some reason I found it to be overly buttery. Certainly not bad for the price, though.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

derp posted:

That bottle to the right, tempted to open up my second bottle when my steaks are done.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I had a Balvenie Doublewood 12, and a Glenfiddich 12 at the bar last night. Neither of them really stood out to me, though I was sort of distracted from really focusing on them. I think I liked the Glenfiddich better, but then again it was the second one.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Smokewagon posted:

EW single barrel is a great value bourbon. Their small batch is pretty good as well if you can find it. Oddly enough I have a hard time finding the small batch where I am, but the single barrel is all over everywhere.
Same here. I went to maybe seven stores looking for their small batch, couldn't find it at all. 2 or 3 of them had the single barrel, and now a few months later everyone has special sales on the single barrel, but still no small batch. I guess maybe the single barrel just wasn't moving at $Woodford. I wonder why.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

derp posted:

I had a Balvenie Doublewood 12, and a Glenfiddich 12 at the bar last night. Neither of them really stood out to me, though I was sort of distracted from really focusing on them. I think I liked the Glenfiddich better, but then again it was the second one.

I generally don't try to assess whiskies too seriously when I'm out at a bar. With the noise, conversation and smells all around, it's simply too difficult to do a fair taste test.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Same here. I went to maybe seven stores looking for their small batch, couldn't find it at all. 2 or 3 of them had the single barrel, and now a few months later everyone has special sales on the single barrel, but still no small batch. I guess maybe the single barrel just wasn't moving at $Woodford. I wonder why.

I've actually never found any small batch in state(MA), I always buy it out of state when traveling. As for single barrell being on sale, it could be a distributor deal, who knows. Been a while since I've seen it on sale around here.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Around here I can't find single barrel easily or reliably but small batch is plentiful and cheap. I really should try them side by side.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 10, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Around here I can't find single barrel easily or reliably but small batch is plentiful and cheap.I really should try them side by side.

Feast or famine for bourbon lovers it seems. I really wish retailers would carry the entire progression of certain expressions when it comes to bourbon. I know such decisions are pretty much based on profit/space etc. Such a pain in the rear end though when I walk into a place and see a brand I like and they carry everything but the one expresison I'm looking for. For example, it's such a pain in the rear end to find Weller 12 year around here, and when you do find it it's close to $35(WTF?). But, if you are looking for Weller Antique or Special Reserve you can stop in any liquor store and find it. I have the same problem with Ancient Ancient Age and Very Special Old Fitzgerald.

This is why when I'm anywhere near a good liquor store when I'm out of state, I'll go out of my way to get there and load up my trunk with whatever I can afford that is hard to find. My two favorite places for whisky when I travel is Binny's and The Party Source. I saw bright lights and heard angels singing when I first went into TPS, and walked out with 3 cases of bourbon and scotch.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Smokewagon posted:

I've actually never found any small batch in state(MA), I always buy it out of state when traveling. As for single barrell being on sale, it could be a distributor deal, who knows. Been a while since I've seen it on sale around here.

It's probably stores hoping to clear out old stock as the 2003(?) barrels should be coming out soon.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

derp posted:

Balvenie Doublewood is a nice easy drinking dram -- if you like the impact of the finishing, I recommend Glenmorangie's Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, or Nectar D'or, which are finished in Sherry, Port, and Sauternes casks respectively... the Nectar D'or is the fancy-schmanciest and probably the most delicately flavored of the three, but I most enjoy the Quinta Ruban, of that line.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

My newest addition. I was actually planning on getting some bulleit, but this was on sale for 27$. Hope it's as nice as the bottle looks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I like it. It's got the same buttery smell that I liked in the EW, but less of the nail polish smell. Tastes good too, very dry and woody but less rough than the EW. Though, from the reviews I'm reading I should have just got the bulleit.