Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really hope X7 already sent his orders in and just forgot to update the doc.

HHs should be moving to their dropship, DCs to ours. There's really no point in a Commando heading to a Clanner dropship if the Clanners are winning the bet, as they won't be letting the DCs on their ship if they're not beholden to the Commandos.

Chances are the command lance are going to get activated this turn, too. We're getting awfully close to them. Everyone north of the smoke line is at serious risk and if the Rifleman activates the boss battle then everyone on the right side of the map is in their crosshairs. This presuming they head right and down the tarmac, rather than spreading out, which they might, though for Sage's sake I hope not.

Alas, if only we were all Fraction Jackson and he wasn't stuck in a one-gunned Banshee.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This sucks. I had the day all cleared to actually work on an update and now I'm disappointed.

I want to do something to keep you entertained but I'm too tired to write and I can't think of any busywork decent contests or anything.

Take it easy, drink some lemon tea, chillax and not worry too much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PoptartsNinja posted:

For the time, the CGI was pretty good.

But no, this series just confused the gently caress out of its demographic (6-10 year olds who'd never played BattleTech).

I was about 9/10 when it was out. Only prior exposure was MW2. And I understood it and found it to be the best thing ever, because 'oh god its Mechwarrior The Cartoon!' And it was followed up by Freakazoid as a bonus!

Of course then I watched it again a few years back, and in the correct order as well (loving Channel 10...) and yeah, nostalgia got shattered hard. Good news however- the CGI does improve as the show goes on. Slightly.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Psion posted:

as I've mentioned I skipped this show when I was younger and I feel better off for it but did kids really dig that "ENHANCED VISION MODE" which is to say "let's skip to some loving terrible budget-CG to pad length and reduce the amount of (bad) animation we have to pay for?"

I mean sure, poo poo blowing up, but the recycling in two episodes alone is just godawful. I can't see it getting better in the rest of this show's incredibly short run.

No, I don't think that's coincidental.

At the time I remember being incredibly impressed by the CG stuff. Bear in mind this poo poo is like 20 years old at this point. (gently caress, it makes me feel ancient to think about TV I watched as a kid being 20 years old... but I digress.) In fact, I remember reading somewhere (here?) that the show's failure was due in part to them spending too much money on those CG sequences. They certainly couldn't have been cheaper than paying a bunch of sweatshop animators in Korea or wherever to paint cels.

I never watched the show regularly - partially because I never figured out what its broadcast schedule was in my area, if I remember right - but when I stumbled across it I was pretty transfixed by ENHANCED IMAGING.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

I do find it adorable that they've got a Hatchetman Mauler Centurion and Wolfhound all basically acting the exact same and going pew pew at one another.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

For the time, the CGI was pretty good.

But no, this series just confused the gently caress out of its demographic (6-10 year olds who'd never played BattleTech).

Edit: Oh god, double post. I really am sick. I will try not to accidentally delete the thread.
For it's time it was MIND BLOWING CGI to be fair. It was my first Battletech thing and third gaming-related thing ever so it *probably* worked as intended. It aired in the correct order on TCC in the UK, so I remember knowing what was going on and having a relatively coherent plotline agreed upon in the playground but I don't remember what that was sadly.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I think Battletech and Reboot were like, the first animated shows to ever do anything CG related. Certainly the first ones I ever saw as a kid, though it's entirely possible someone beat them to it that I don't know about.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Gate posted:

I think Battletech and Reboot were like, the first animated shows to ever do anything CG related. Certainly the first ones I ever saw as a kid, though it's entirely possible someone beat them to it that I don't know about.

I think Space Above and Beyond was one of the first Live Action shows to use CG. Man, that was a badass show.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

I think Space Above and Beyond was one of the first Live Action shows to use CG. Man, that was a badass show.
I rewatched that recently. Plotwise it's a total god-damned clusterfuck of a mess, and there are nothing but holes. The entire premise of the show is one giant plothole. On the other hand... it's still fun as gently caress, so if you can get it then it's well worth a watch.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh man I remember that show. I only got to see, like, half the episodes, so it made no sense anyway, but it was so cool. Also fun to see bullets in space and not lasers!

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Chances are the command lance are going to get activated this turn, too. We're getting awfully close to them. Everyone north of the smoke line is at serious risk and if the Rifleman activates the boss battle then everyone on the right side of the map is in their crosshairs. This presuming they head right and down the tarmac, rather than spreading out, which they might, though for Sage's sake I hope not.

If they want to separate out, then with what I have left I'll make them regret the decision.
...if I can kill this stupid loving Grasshopper :argh:

PoptartsNinja posted:

This sucks. I had the day all cleared to actually work on an update and now I'm disappointed.

I want to do something to keep you entertained but I'm too tired to write and I can't think of any busywork decent contests or anything.

Dude, no worries, feel better. We're not going anywhere. Thanks for the free entertainment thus far - it's been a blast.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Paingod556 posted:

I was about 9/10 when it was out. Only prior exposure was MW2. And I understood it and found it to be the best thing ever, because 'oh god its Mechwarrior The Cartoon!' And it was followed up by Freakazoid as a bonus!

Of course then I watched it again a few years back, and in the correct order as well (loving Channel 10...) and yeah, nostalgia got shattered hard. Good news however- the CGI does improve as the show goes on. Slightly.

Lies, Channel 7 had it in their Disney Saturday morning block right after little mermaid and right before Aladdin cartoons. I mean what?

Though I thought the show was awesome as a kid, coming from the MW2 background and nothing else. I still enjoy the show, its campy as gently caress and hilarious to watch now having the understanding of the context. For me the show made complete sense. Genetically engineered super soldiers with better weapons attack the Inner Sphere which is the territory colonized by humanity who have been at war with each other for a long time. Clans show up and everyone stops fighting to fight them because they're massive dicks and Zero (I thought that was his name) joins them because he too is a dick. The good guys need to sneak behind enemy lines and take back MY HOME PLANET. Super simple, never got what people had a huge problem understanding.

PoptartsNinja posted:

People create their own annotated episode 3s maybe? Seems like an easy thing to do, winner gets to....lose anyway because they watch the same episode over and over until its seared into their brain?

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Alas, if only we were all Fraction Jackson and he wasn't stuck in a one-gunned Banshee.

I won't lie, there have been times when working on getting my orders in that the inability to jump or get a +3 move mod in any way has caused me physical pain. The Banshee has done its job well though, and I've been having tons of fun regardless. And it's certainly been pretty straightforward to use. It just feels weird, like one of my feet is missing or someone replaced my toothbrush with a carrot or something.

It's also kind of funny how I had more kills last mission than this one. Go figure. I am basically a stupid walking gimmick, but at least I'm a stupid walking gimmick with an optional megamek rule named after me.

Anyway, even if we lose this - and it's still not a given that we will - we can at least feel good about putting in an amazing performance in one of the most difficult missions to date. And, for that matter, pulling off some textbook coordination in the last mission. A lot of people have done a lot of things right and I'm pretty drat happy with everyone. I don't think anyone who was in this mission or the last one has anything to be ashamed of and I'm just glad to have been part of it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Would you say, given the speed issues, that you are not sanguine about this mech choice?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
We are not ever letting that go, are we...?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"No, YOU shut up!" Is an appropriate response.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

Would you say, given the speed issues, that you are not sanguine about this mech choice?

It's more that it makes me feel like a Steiner. Like losing 50 points of IQ in an instant - and fedrats like me don't exactly have spare IQ to lose.

Also there are far worse mechs I could've gotten. It's not bad, and I don't hate it, it's just...weird.

Artificer posted:

We are not ever letting that go, are we...?

Nope. So much of the story never made it into the thread, either. There's reasons he's a legend and not in a good way.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fraction Jackson posted:

It's more that it makes me feel like a Steiner. Like losing 50 points of IQ in an instant - and fedrats like me don't exactly have spare IQ to lose.

Also there are far worse mechs I could've gotten. It's not bad, and I don't hate it, it's just...weird.

Nope. So much of the story never made it into the thread, either. There's reasons he's a legend and not in a good way.

I hope to hear that story one day, the saga, the man, the legend...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ask in IRC, because we're not going to pollute the thread with it.

Speaking of the amazing CGI in the mechwarrior cartoon, it's worth also remembering that at that time, FASA and a partner whose name I forget had spent vast amounts of money to put together VIRTUAL REALITY MECHWARRIOR locations in various spots around the country. Basically a bespoke arcade setup where you could go, shovel out a really exorbitant amount of cash (for the time, for a kid), and have the privilege of climbing into a custom battlemech VR pod and fight battles on a ten-square-mile VIRTUAL REALITY battlefield with up to seven of your friends. Against real live enemies on the other side of the country (or room)!

This poo poo was like, the FUTURE, man. I think I got to see the inside of one of those things many years later, when it was all so very sad and outdated. In those days, it was pretty well understood by everyone that the future of the Internet itself was VR. VRML was going to turn every website into a virtual reality lansdscape where you'd interact with things using a helmet VR display and a Nintendo Powerglove (or whatever). That was what movies told us was going to happen, and the brand new legion of online Internet Superhighway-savvy pundits were breathlessly describing our cyber-futures in columns featured in Computer Currents.

The cartoon was obviously intended to sell Mechwarrior stuff (and it did), but for the general public cartoon-watching audience, the tabletop wargame was probably not within their field of view. The nationwide battletech arcades were, though, and I don't doubt a pile of money was made due to little kids desperately wanting to try out their first real taste of the bright Virtual Reality future.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Those battletech pods travel the convention circuit now. These guys and possibly others move them around to events.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Adamn Steiner needs to set more realistic goals. "Take back our galaxy" is like wanting a zillion jillion dollars.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Adamn Steiner needs to set more realistic goals. "Take back our galaxy" is like wanting a zillion jillion dollars.

What about just MY HOME PLANET?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

kingcom posted:

What about just MY HOME PLANET?

Still pretty impractical. In terms of how far behind the front line MY HOME PLANET became, it'd be like Germany claiming their ancestral lands in Ulaan Bataar.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Still pretty impractical. In terms of how far behind the front line MY HOME PLANET became, it'd be like Germany claiming their ancestral lands in Ulaan Bataar.

How about MY HOME BROTHER?

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

kingcom posted:

How about MY HOME BROTHER?

Dammit, now I'm picturing Adam Hitler Steiner with a verbal tic.

"Would you like some of my famous HOME OMELET?"
"Hang on, need to visit MY HOME LATRINE."
"Kylee, why don't you me go to MY HOME ARCHON-SIZED BED for a bit of R&R?"

As for taking back the galaxy- the Falcons cannot into logistics, so what's the bet they could just run around 'recapping' all the planets they leave behind?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Best powdered-eggs stirrer in the LCAF?

Update update: I moved two `Mechs then started feeling dizzy, so minimal progress today. Sorry everyone!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 8, 2013

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
^ ^ ^ I hope you feel better soon PTN. The update can wait a couple days if needed.

I finally got around to watching that annotated Episode 2. Dear God, effective targeting systems are lostech for BOTH sides. Based on the (lack of) marksmenship shown, everyone is an 8 Gunnery mechwarrior. Or am I insulting 8 Gunnery mechwarriors?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

landcollector posted:

^ ^ ^ I hope you feel better soon PTN. The update can wait a couple days if needed.

I finally got around to watching that annotated Episode 2. Dear God, effective targeting systems are lostech for BOTH sides. Based on the (lack of) marksmenship shown, everyone is an 8 Gunnery mechwarrior. Or am I insulting 8 Gunnery mechwarriors?

8 gunnery: a 'mech that is standing still shooting at another 'mech that is standing still has a ~42% chance of hitting the target. If either one moves at all or there's shooting going on beyond short range, you're looking at 27% accuracy and dropping fast the more modifiers you pile on.

I'd say 8 gunnery is pretty accurate.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I used to have the Somerset Strikers book (I can't find it, unfortunately). Nicolai Malthus is a 0/1 (or maybe a 1/2) with a targeting computer and EI Implants.

Adam is a 2/3.

Most everyone else is edging past a 5/6.

And the scenarios were so bad. Played by a good player, most of the time the Clans couldn't possibly fail.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My mental image of Baddicus O'Shea is the bearded Customs agent. He seems to be the least :downs: guy in the show

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

bunnyofdoom posted:

My mental image of Baddicus O'Shea is the bearded Customs agent. He seems to be the least :downs: guy in the show

It's weird how little details, like the fact that when he claims to have been given a unit citation with the 4th Skye in the War of 3039, totally line up with in-universe canon and yet they do poo poo like "make it seem like the Falcons are on New Avalon."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

I used to have the Somerset Strikers book (I can't find it, unfortunately). Nicolai Malthus is a 0/1 (or maybe a 1/2) with a targeting computer and EI Implants.

Adam is a 2/3.

Most everyone else is edging past a 5/6.

And the scenarios were so bad. Played by a good player, most of the time the Clans couldn't possibly fail.

Are those the same as the ones in Megamek? I seem to get rocked pretty badly by them as IS but definitely winnable, though the AI is fairly retarded.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The AI is like playing against some kind of weird Rainman who can calculate what the to-hit numbers of every unit that could attack it will be for each hex that is within its movement range, but doesn't realize that there's another turn coming up and doesn't understand flanking attacks or bait.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The AI is like playing against some kind of weird Rainman who can calculate what the to-hit numbers of every unit that could attack it will be for each hex that is within its movement range, but doesn't realize that there's another turn coming up and doesn't understand flanking attacks or bait.

Doesnt help when one of the scenarios is a completely flat open map with no cover and you start at close range with a 2-1 outnumbered fight against a clan army and your mission is to 'survive'.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
That one is actually winnable in TT, but it requires the Clanner to... not break the rules. Which Megamek is incapable of.

It's weird how little details, like the fact that when he claims to have been given a unit citation with the 4th Skye in the War of 3039, totally line up with in-universe canon and yet they do poo poo like "make it seem like the Falcons are on New Avalon."
That line was basically just establishing "we have history here, there's a reason we hate each other". Pity they didn't follow through much.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Half of this statement accurately describes my own capabilities as a player.

And it's not the part that requires I be not-poo poo at math.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I know. I'm just saying that its weird they name-dropped an actual unit and an actual campaign where the unit was cited for valor multiple times rather than just making something up as the non-canon media is want to do (like MW2: Mercs having you babysit a Steiner-Davion who was somehow 47th in line for the throne) and yet all this other poo poo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They also put the entire "Theodore slept around in college" storyline in there, albeit in drastically abridged format.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Poptarts Ninja you've got quite the following, random pubbies in MWO have given you shout-outs when they find out they're playing with/against goons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Just wait until we get into Ciro's backstory, and THE CLANS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just wait until we get into Ciro's backstory, and THE CLANS.

Spoiler- it's stupid.

I'll say the one nice thing, they remembered how important heat was.

• Locked thread