Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I don't buy that "players know the risks" and neither should anyone. Our understanding of football and its relationship to CTE has really only come about in the last few years. Besides, the NFL has been lying and covering up evidence of brain trauma for over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Eulogistics posted:

I had to get away from HuffPo because they're SO liberal. I'm liberal on just about every issue, but they're hardcore bleeding-heart and it's about as hard for me to read as Fox News. I also have a big issue with their format of "DRAMATIC FRONT PAGE ARTICLE TITLE IN BOLD BLOCK LETTERING ON WHITE BACKGROUND!!!!". It just got to me after a while. If I want my news now, I generally go to talkingpointsmemo.

edit: Their titles are also usually very misleading, and that irritated the piss out of me.

They're not actually liberal, just gossip column trash. Ariana Huffington is another swine in the mold of Bill Maher who trades on liberals' smug sense of self-regard to rake in ratings and cash. Both of them also trade heavily in anti-Vaccine and "natural" healing bullshit that gets people killed.

Mother Jones is a much better liberal news source and much less tabloid-y if you're looking for something better.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

I don't buy that "players know the risks" and neither should anyone. Our understanding of football and its relationship to CTE has really only come about in the last few years. Besides, the NFL has been lying and covering up evidence of brain trauma for over a decade.

It's absurd anyway. It's not like a chemical plant can just have open containers lying around and then claim the employees knew the risk since they walked by them during HR initiation meeting.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Zeroisanumber posted:

They're not actually liberal, just gossip column trash. Ariana Huffington is another swine in the mold of Bill Maher who trades on liberals' smug sense of self-regard to rake in ratings and cash. Both of them also trade heavily in anti-Vaccine and "natural" healing bullshit that gets people killed.
You know, I usually agree with the liberal new health bullshit (I tend to avoid HFCS over regular sugar, buy organic when I can, etc), but the one thing I don't understand is the apprehension towards vaccines. Avoiding food with a small novel's worth of chemicals is one thing, but vaccines have hundreds of years of evidence that they work.

Haven't there been sizable outbreaks of diseases previously thought to be destroyed since people are refusing to get their kids vaccinated?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Pretty liberal but disgustingly bourgeois. They're on my list of sites I check, but so is Breitbart.com. I don't trust either to provide anything remotely resembling news.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Business Gorillas posted:

You know, I usually agree with the liberal new health bullshit (I tend to avoid HFCS over regular sugar, buy organic when I can, etc), but the one thing I don't understand is the apprehension towards vaccines.

The modern incarnation of anti-vaxx nuttery is mostly ill-informed anti-corporate sentiment taken to an absurd place.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a difference between "I'm not getting the flu shot" and "my child has autism because of the childhood inoculations!!" Conspiracy theories aren't limited to a single political affiliation.

Fluoride in the water, however...

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Maybe we should start a SA/goon news site! :pseudo:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Phone posted:

There's a difference between "I'm not getting the flu shot" and "my child has autism because of the childhood inoculations!!" Conspiracy theories aren't limited to a single political affiliation.

I see a consistent pattern between anti-vax cursaders and Austin Treehouse coordinators. These crowds are related and equally dangerous.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Aliquid posted:

I see a consistent pattern between anti-vax cursaders and Austin Treehouse coordinators. These crowds are related and equally dangerous.

Never heard of this and my Google-fu hasn't brought anything up. What is this exactly?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah, and even with the things they do know you just can't reasonably hold young men fully accountable for making major life choices and doing so with all the necessary wisdom and foresight. Even these guys who do understand the risks aren't thinking 10 or 15 years ahead to what life will be after the sport with no job skills, no outlet for their competiveness and aggression, and sore bones, health problems, brain damage, and drug addictions. Kids don't worry about the future and in a lot of ways this system takes advantage of that ignorance.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mitchicon posted:

Maybe we should start a SA/goon news site! :pseudo:

How will import tariffs on Asian electronics influence the cost of Hentai Games?

AzureFluttershy reports...

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I can't help but think this was a troll on Limbaugh's show that just failed to get him to say anything beyond the disingenuous :tinfoil: nonsense it comes off as

quote:

RUSH: Paul Krugman is an Obamaite, he's an economist, he's a Nobel Prize winning economist, folks, which tells you everything you need to know about the Nobel Prize. The New York Times columnist, economist, took a few questions at a lecture that he gave last week, took a few questions from the audience. And one question was on America's massive and rising national debt. And Krugman admitted that the debt will pose a problem, eventually, not yet. Not until we get the next Republican president will the debt be a problem. And he said he admitted it's gonna be tough to pay for entitlement programs with an aging population and increasing health care costs.
Specifically, Paul Krugman said, paying for care that has no demonstrated medical benefit is going to have to stop, meaning treatment for old people who are gonna die anyway, has to stop. That's what this means. The solution, Krugman says, is death panels and sales taxes. In quotes, that's what he said. Death panels and sale taxes is how we handle rising debt and rising health care costs.
Now, do you remember Obama and every other liberal going nuts over the accusation by Sarah Palin that there would be death panels? Everybody in the media, the Democrats went nuts and said there's no such thing, and Palin was lying, and how dare she say this kind of thing?
Everything you were told turns out to be wrong. Everything we were told turns out to be incorrect. Health care costs are exploding, you can't keep your own doctor, your premiums are skyrocketing, the cheapest plan is gonna be $4,000 a person, family of four, 16 to 20 grand. And we're gonna need new revenue on top of the massive tax increases already in Obamacare. And now Paul Krugman admits, "Yep, we're gonna need death panels."
And, by the way, he's not the only one. Steven Rattner, who was Obama's first car czar, in a New York Times column, same place Krugman works, also admitted we're gonna need death panels. Yet Sarah Palin was made to pay a political price for this. Sarah Palin, the first to title this panel the death panel. Here now they're starting to admit it. And of course, folks, it's true. It's the only way they know to deal with this, versus health savings accounts, versus you being in charge. Imagine you having control over your insurance cost. Imagine you being able to choose whatever doctor you want to go to, for whatever malady. Imagine you being able to choose your doctor or your provider based on the best price you can get. Imagine there not being a death panel denying you treatment because of your age.
Caller calls in, fellates Rush a bit and gets to the juicy stuff

quote:

CALLER: I wonder if these initial panels will take into consideration your party affiliation.
RUSH: Well, more likely it'll be whether or not your family donated and how much.
CALLER: (laughing) That's a good point. Yes, sir.
RUSH: Don't think that's not gonna be known. It's already known who contributes and to who. It'll never be proven that such a criteria is selected and used. It'll never be proven, but don't doubt you're gonna have people who suspect it. Why, you already are.
CALLER: If we take this, then the country we know is over. But if we stand up to it, then the American spirit and strong will, I think, still does exist. It might take several years to get there.
RUSH: Well, I go back to this ABC show with the woman and Obama. You've heard me tell the story ad infinitum here. The woman was asking the president whether or not he would grant her mother the right to live by virtue of getting a pacemaker. That's not the job of a president. The president doesn't have that kind of power. This guy wants that power. He wants you asking him for permission for your parent to have a pacemaker. This woman, she wasn't happy with the answer she got. But she's an average citizen. She's not gonna go raise hell about it. She's not gonna make a target of herself, and most people aren't.
Most people know they don't have a chance against the federal government, so they're not gonna want any part of it. They're not gonna open make targets of themselves. Not as individuals. But I don't know that we're ever gonna get to see the board, John. I mean, you might petition to lobby the board personally, but I don't know that you're gonna be granted permission. I don't think there's gonna be a mechanism for every American with a grievance to go before this federal panel. I don't think you'll have a chance to see the board. They're gonna be faceless bureaucrats. They're not gonna want to be known. They're gonna be like the Chinese politburo, and we never even saw their pictures -- and if you did, you knew that they'd been whacked.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Mmm yes. Trump is going after Rove now.

Trump: Karl Rove is 'a total loser’

Things are getting quite amusing!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

kik2dagroin posted:

I can't help but think this was a troll on Limbaugh's show that just failed to get him to say anything beyond the disingenuous :tinfoil: nonsense it comes off as

Caller calls in, fellates Rush a bit and gets to the juicy stuff

Sarah Palin wasn't even the one who came up with 'death panels' rhetoric. It was Betsy McCaughey.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

quote:

Imagine you being able to choose whatever doctor you want to go to, for whatever malady. Imagine you being able to choose your doctor or your provider based on the best price you can get. Imagine there not being a death panel denying you treatment because of your age.
Isn't this literally what Obamacare is? Where did this talking point of "you can't choose your doctor or keep your existing insurance if you want to" coming from, when I think the president specifically said the opposite?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There are already "death panels", such as it is.

My grandmother died under Hospice care with a morphine drip and it was the most humane thing imaginable. It was wonderful in its way. My grandmother always said she wasn't afraid of dying, she just afraid of how it would happen, and when the time came she passed painlessly and peacefully because of the "death panel" set up by the doctors (who had done everything they could do) and the (Medicare funded) Hospice care available.

Hospice even offered free grief counseling for me (and my wife) for one full year, any time we needed it. If Sarah Palin wants to call what happened to my grandma and the decisions I made with my medical directive, the wishes my grandma was able to express when she knew she was ready to die and was still cognizant enough to make them and the choices I made as a result a "death panel" and a government takeover of healthcare, then she should kindly go gently caress herself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
EVERY LIFE IS PRECIOUS AND WE CAN NEVER LET PEOPLE DIE WITH DIGNITY

This isn't directed necessarily at the right wing media, but overall the American media: The Arkansas 'Heartbeat' abortion bill. This comes on the heels of the Indian woman who died in Ireland because there was a fetal heartbeat, even though the baby was going to be a stillborn. I would love to see either side pick up this angle and go with it because it's disgusting that a bill like this is even being considered.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Phone posted:

This isn't directed necessarily at the right wing media, but overall the American media: The Arkansas 'Heartbeat' abortion bill. This comes on the heels of the Indian woman who died in Ireland because there was a fetal heartbeat, even though the baby was going to be a stillborn. I would love to see either side pick up this angle and go with it because it's disgusting that a bill like this is even being considered.

Was that Irish doctor ever identified/charged?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No idea, but here's a terrible article about how a termination probably wouldn't have worked: http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Similar-death-to-Savita-Halapannavar-ignored-in-the-mainstream-media-189989071.html

quote:

A woman dies in a Galway hospital after a termination that may well have contributed to her death. Result: A twitter storm outrage, worldwide condemnation and calls for Ireland to scrap or change its regime of legal protection for unborn children.

Never mind that no evidence exists as yet as to what role, if any, Ireland’s anti abortion laws played in the death of Savita Halappanavar. Never mind the observation made in the Hindu Times last November by Dr. Fema Divakar (who as a woman, non catholic, and head of India’s Federation of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, has more right than most to comment) that the delay in giving Savita an abortion was not only an unlikely cause of death, but that giving her the abortion earlier might have led to her dying earlier. And never mind that Ireland’s health services have been the subject of significant complaints and scandals regarding mismanagement, inefficiency and gross errors.

No, in the wake of Savita’s death, all fact, evidence and proportion – and any genuine concern for women (which would have awaited clear evidence on the cause of her death) – was swept aside in a torrent of politically directed bile against Ireland, its “catholic ethos” and its laws protecting unborn life.

But now the shallow hypocrisy of that reaction has been exposed. In a story covered in the Sligo Champion – but not (surprise, surprise) in the nation’s largely “liberal” national media – it was revealed that another Indian woman died in an Irish hospital two years before Savita.

Dhara Kivlehan died in a Belfast hospital some days after being transferred there having contracted an infection after giving birth in Sligo Regional Hospital. Her pregnancy had been healthy. Like Savita her death was tragic and perhaps needless.

Unlike Savita, however, there was no storm of outrage on twitter on her behalf, despite her death occurring two years before Savita’s. No front page headlines in the national newspapers.
And no international condemnation. But then, how could there be international media coverage when there was no national media coverage? And the reason there was no national media coverage proves conclusively what now most of us know and understand clearly about the media: Its clearly biased liberal agenda and its determination to decide what – and what isn’t – news depending on what suits the advancement or hinderment of that agenda. So you won’t find media telling you that Ireland is one of the safest places on earth to give birth.

Or that Savita Halapannavar is more likely to have died from aggravated infection than any lack of abortion. And you certainly won’t get any investigation into whether the cause of her death may have been the state of Ireland’s government owned health system. Where Savita’s death prompted three inquiries – the Coroner’s report, a report by the Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) and one headed by Dr. Sabaratnam Arulkumaran (who happens to be a leading advocate of abortion on demand on ”health” grounds) – Dhara Kivlehan’s family have so far been refused even a coroner’s inquiry.

LIEberals :argh:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
From the thread about the LA Cop who has begun targeting police officers and their families:

Anus Dei posted:

When I heard he'd made a positive comment about Michelle Obama (and her bangs), I wondered how long it would be before the rightward leaning blogosphere (and ultimately Fox News) declared him a Democrat.

http://twitchy.com/2013/02/07/msm-covers-up-christopher-dorners-hard-left-political-views/

And we're off!

(For those that don't know, Twitchy is Michelle Malkin's twitter monitoring site.)

This should be spectacular to see metastisize.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Just when my brain felt clearer for deleting twitter I learn there is a website called 'Twitchy' by that lady arguing we should put arabs into internment camps. ungh

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Phone posted:

You would think this, but I know of at least one guy who is very hardcore left wing and he goes in for the fluoride in the water poo poo, which as much as he is a friend of ours, me (since I also lean very hardleft) and my more center leaning friends make fun of him for it/ feel very sad and confused bout why he keeps going on about it. But much like the antiVaxers hes coming at it from an insane anti-corporate angle. Asking me why I support these big pharma business when I'm very anti-capital. So anti-Fluoride stuff is beginning to jump from the Birchers to others. Hell bull poo poo like Natural Heath News and other poo poo that spout this nonsense seem to be trying to get the anti-vaxers on their side as well.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Michele Malkin

Why the pretty ones gotta be so crazy?

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Crasscrab posted:

Trump is an intellectual lightweight whose entire arsenal of comebacks consists of variations on, "No, you."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Michele Malkin

Why the pretty ones gotta be so crazy?

She's got that "true believer" stare whenever she is being interviewed that is downright frightening.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
A new Fox BIAS ALERT (click for the story):

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Walter posted:

Trump is an intellectual lightweight whose entire arsenal of comebacks consists of variations on, "No, you."

While this is true he's always been amazingly amusing to watch. The man is a living, breathing joke.

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

That headline just has me imagining Sharpton farting out a sort of mist that forms into a little greybeard God figure on TV.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aatrek posted:

A new Fox BIAS ALERT (click for the story):

This man CLAIMS to be a Christian, but doesn't explicitly hate vulnerable groups of people!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Goatman Sacks posted:

This man CLAIMS to be a Christian, but doesn't explicitly hate vulnerable groups of people!

I remember having an argument with that guy on twitter after he claimed that Mitt Romney simply hiring a gay man onto his campaign was a "move to the left," just to give you an idea of how big of a shithead this guy is.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

MaxxBot posted:

I remember having an argument with that guy on twitter after he claimed that Mitt Romney simply hiring a gay man onto his campaign was a "move to the left," just to give you an idea of how big of a shithead this guy is.

What would a move to the right for someone like that be? Just murdering gay folks?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Crasscrab posted:

Do conservatives even like Trump anymore?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

nachos posted:

Do conservatives even like Trump anymore?

Trump is the kind of rich person that stupid people would act like if they were rich.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Phone posted:

One of the worst things about the Death Panels debacle is that it poisons the well for any sort of top down promotion of end of life treatment/planning, which is important in a bunch of ways. :smith:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

Trump is the kind of rich person that stupid people would act like if they were rich.

There are plenty of stupid rich people and Trump is one of them.

buttscratch fever
Feb 6, 2013

by T. Mascis

Boxman posted:

One of the worst things about the Death Panels debacle is that it poisons the well for any sort of top down promotion of end of life treatment/planning, which is important in a bunch of ways. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8PNzA2S6EY

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
This is loving hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTUcz23Oi30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4IPh1JEdFg

Basically, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huOKpv4GYUI

Bill, you have sprinkles on your face.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:stonk: Holy poo poo this is horrifying.

So is this supposed to be a satire or is this some kind of product that this guy is actually trying to market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttscratch fever
Feb 6, 2013

by T. Mascis

Crasscrab posted:

:stonk: Holy poo poo this is horrifying.

So is this supposed to be a satire or is this some kind of product that this guy is actually trying to market?

Japan