Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Gonna have to start updating the OP with all the new arrivals. If your name is not in the OP or is outdated, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
add me to Manila

and saho - have you got a nice IM guy named Eddie?

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

Diplomaticus posted:

Gonna have to start updating the OP with all the new arrivals. If your name is not in the OP or is outdated, let me know.

You can remove wazooteyman from the OP. Because wazooteyman is me. Felt like changing my username.

Also, I'm a PD officer in Rome, but I'm working Consular.

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Had a question from a friend who's applying in the Econ cone which I'm actually curious about myself.

What exactly are Environment, Science and Technology and Health (ESTH) Officers? Are these Econ coned mid level positions? Is just a matter of going through the ML bidding process and getting selected for a slot or are there additional requirements to do ESTH work?

Besides ESTH officers, are there other opportunities to get involved with work that focus on science, technology or energy related diplomatic issues?

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Skandiaavity posted:

add me to Manila

and saho - have you got a nice IM guy named Eddie?

I'm actually not in Kathmandu yet, I'm in the never ending limbo that is FSI. I should be there February 18th "inshallah". I do know, however, the other IMS is indeed a 2nd tour dude named Eddie. Was he in your class?

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Nope, but we met at FSI. Was wondering how he was doing!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

problematique posted:

Had a question from a friend who's applying in the Econ cone which I'm actually curious about myself.

What exactly are Environment, Science and Technology and Health (ESTH) Officers? Are these Econ coned mid level positions? Is just a matter of going through the ML bidding process and getting selected for a slot or are there additional requirements to do ESTH work?

Besides ESTH officers, are there other opportunities to get involved with work that focus on science, technology or energy related diplomatic issues?

Depends... my wife is an EPAP ESTH Officer.

Outside of designated ESTH officers, the portfolios are a split between Pol and Econ.

Edit: They have several FS officers in the section and I think all are Econ coned... could be a pol officer in there...

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 8, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

problematique posted:

Our post ESTH officer is an 02 or 03 (I think 02) political coned officer. His portfolio is heavily focused on renewable energy, so he works with my section quite a bit on econ/energy related stuff, but also with political (we're actually a combined Pol/Econ/ESTH/PRM (refugees) section, but his office is located elsewhere because of space issues). You bid on it just like any other position, and as far as I know it doesn't work any differently than any other kind of post.

As an econ officer, especially if you are in a post without a Foreign Commercial Service presence, you will have ample opportunity to work on these things. I deal with tech, energy, and related topics every single day. But as an econ/commercial officer, I do it from a more commercial facilitation (sales/business development) standpoint, while the ESTH officer deals with it from a more analytical standpoint.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've decided that the cafeteria at the FSI is stupid and overpriced.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
It is. Go to the gas station next to the DMV on 4-mile run near George Mason. There is a peruvian chicken restaurant there that is amazing.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Diplomaticus posted:

I'm POL and about to start an A-100 in March.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

psydude posted:

I've decided that the cafeteria at the FSI is stupid and overpriced.

Yes, and yes. Best deal is the soups.

Do try the "spicy chips" that come with the specials at the sandwich bar; they're probably the best I've ever had.

Saho
Jun 9, 2012

Diplomaticus posted:

It is. Go to the gas station next to the DMV on 4-mile run near George Mason. There is a peruvian chicken restaurant there that is amazing.

There are also some pupusa places that are pretty legit down by the CVS...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We usually head up to Ballston or Clarendon if we eat out (Earl's is the bomb), but I've started bringing my lunch.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Diplomaticus posted:

haha yessss Don Juan's? no, this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/chicken-and-steak-las-brasas-arlington

There's also a baller mexican joint - rio grande - down 50 by the Target/Safeway. Dim Sum also around that area.

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 8, 2013

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
If I could find someone with a car I always liked to go to Rockland's BBQ or BGR: The Burger Joint around Clarendon, or Sauca on Columbia Pike.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Took the test this morning. Of course I fell asleep early and woke up at 3:30 and could not fall back asleep until who knows when. I was able to walk in the door of the testing site 15 min early as suggested in the e-mail. The check in site was down so it almost had to be re-scheduled.
I dunno how I did overall. I'm not feeling super confident about my essay, it was a topic I wasn't really able to form a solid opinion on and ran out of time while trying to add more meat to it after it was all typed. I guess I'll have to wait and see but if I don't get positive news back at least I won't be completely taken by surprise.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
One thing I've found helpful for timed essays like that is to just pick the first argument that pops into my head and roll with it whether or not I believe in it or not.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Aww dang, Pathways program(paid internships) opens up again JUST as I'm graduating and no longer eligible.
Others who are interested in interning at State can check it out on USAJobs by searching for HRSC/PATH-2013-0008 and HRSC/PATH-2013-0009 :)

hitension fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 8, 2013

1of7
Jan 30, 2011
One nice thing about China: Early dismissal & 5 day weekend! :woop:

Zoots
Apr 19, 2007

No passport for you.

1of7 posted:

If I could find someone with a car I always liked to go to Rockland's BBQ or BGR: The Burger Joint around Clarendon, or Sauca on Columbia Pike.

Don't forget Pollo King! Cooked chickens to the horizon!

And Ravi Kebab was always a favorite when I was in Arabic training. Their chickpeas and chicken kebabs were the bee's knees.

SCRwM
Sep 17, 2012
After my OA last week my wife and I went to a place called Chopped. It's a salad place and wasn't too bad. Not sure if there is one near FSI or not but just thought I'd throw the name out there.

Also the Starbucks at George Mason gave my flashbacks to some of my Poli Sci courses I took in college.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

SCRwM posted:

After my OA last week my wife and I went to a place called Chopped. It's a salad place and wasn't too bad. Not sure if there is one near FSI or not but just thought I'd throw the name out there.

Also the Starbucks at George Mason gave my flashbacks to some of my Poli Sci courses I took in college.

That's a fast-spreading chain here in NYC. There's also a clone called Just Salad, but I have no idea which came first.

Miscreant Fromage
May 2, 2003

My info in the OP is outdated. I'm on the register.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Skandiaavity posted:

haha yessss Don Juan's? no, this place: http://www.yelp.com/biz/chicken-and-steak-las-brasas-arlington

There's also a baller mexican joint - rio grande - down 50 by the Target/Safeway. Dim Sum also around that area.

Yes! Chicken and Steak Las Brasas, I'd completely forgot the name, but that's it.

MF: I'll get to updating the OP soon.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Zoots posted:

Don't forget Pollo King! Cooked chickens to the horizon!

And Ravi Kebab was always a favorite when I was in Arabic training. Their chickpeas and chicken kebabs were the bee's knees.

There's a really good Peruvian chicken place near courthouse called "El Pollo Rico". I think you can get a half chicken with two sides for around $8.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I went back to the OP to gather up some reference material for a conversation I was having about the FS and noticed broken quote tags at the section on language training immediately after the blurb on the political track. Letting you know since you'll be there anyways updating the OP.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well, my wife and I just took the FSOT. I think I did well on the test overall. There were just a few of the business questions that I thought I was weak on. I was also very indepth on my essay, so here is to hoping. I'm not worried about anywhere I might be put, but I have to say, I'm pretty scared about the fact that I'll have to gain fluency in a language. I picked the Consular track, so I'll likely be talking to people in another language on a daily basis.

On the other hand, it won't even be an issue in 3-5 weeks if I find out that I didn't make it to the next stage!

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
Just took the test. The English expression part was deceptively difficult under the time limit, didn't have enough time to review my answers.

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010
Hey all, long time second time. I wanted to know if anyone could give me insight to one aspect of language testing. I am specifically proficent in a more gulf/iraqi dialect of arabic and am concerned that when my life comes to the point to where I can test I might have a phone interview with someone with a Levantine accent or even worse North Africa or MSA :ohdear:
Does anyone have any insight on this?

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Abu Hans posted:

Hey all, long time second time. I wanted to know if anyone could give me insight to one aspect of language testing. I am specifically proficent in a more gulf/iraqi dialect of arabic and am concerned that when my life comes to the point to where I can test I might have a phone interview with someone with a Levantine accent or even worse North Africa or MSA :ohdear:

When I took the Arabic language test a few years back, it was offered in MSA, Egyptian & Iraqi dialects. My exam was in the Egyptian dialect, and I'm pretty sure my examiner was a native Egyptian, so I imagine that the Iraqi test would have a native speaker.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Dear Diary,

If you told me that when I joined the Foreign Service, that I was going to climb into an active volcano and take a swim in the middle of it? I would call you crazy.

Most people, when touring the Taal Volcano in Philippines, only get to see the crater and look down at this very spot. But us? Nope, we gots to go all the way in.

I guess that means I'm crazy enough.

(edit: you can't really see it and the big file is 14MB, but in the back there's vents - it was actually very active that day. Swimming through it felt very rough and it was warm. A smaller island in the middle of it had a hot springs, though. Very refreshing!)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Day 1 of medivac begins. I'm in DC right now if anyone wants to meet up.

Dameius posted:

I went back to the OP to gather up some reference material for a conversation I was having about the FS and noticed broken quote tags at the section on language training immediately after the blurb on the political track. Letting you know since you'll be there anyways updating the OP.

Yeah I know I just keep forgetting by the time I get to editing.

Eonwe posted:

Well, my wife and I just took the FSOT. I think I did well on the test overall. There were just a few of the business questions that I thought I was weak on. I was also very indepth on my essay, so here is to hoping. I'm not worried about anywhere I might be put, but I have to say, I'm pretty scared about the fact that I'll have to gain fluency in a language. I picked the Consular track, so I'll likely be talking to people in another language on a daily basis.

On the other hand, it won't even be an issue in 3-5 weeks if I find out that I didn't make it to the next stage!

I was/am in the same boat about the language. But also that's why I am excited about it, because I know I'll never learn a foreign language on my own, without the FSI training.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Diplomaticus posted:

Isn't the medevac point for you guys Germany or something?

Actually South Africa may be one too.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Homie S posted:

Depends, it's flexible.

S. Africa is pretty common, but you can be sent to EUR ( Germany or the UK) or the States.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Homie S posted:

Pretoria, yeah, but since I was already in the US for a TDY they let me handle it here.

Continuous
Jan 5, 2013

Diplomaticus posted:

Yeah I know I just keep forgetting by the time I get to editing.

I was/am in the same boat about the language. But also that's why I am excited about it, because I know I'll never learn a foreign language on my own, without the FSI training.

I'd be up to meet up. How long are you in DC for?

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

Continuous posted:

When I took the Arabic language test a few years back, it was offered in MSA, Egyptian & Iraqi dialects. My exam was in the Egyptian dialect, and I'm pretty sure my examiner was a native Egyptian, so I imagine that the Iraqi test would have a native speaker.

That is a relief to hear, I would be a fish out of water with MSA or Egyptian. Thank you.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Abu Hans posted:

From what I recall, you can test in MSA or Egyptian, those are the only two FSI-recognized variants of Arabic. If you are testing in Egyptian you get an Egyptian tester; otherwise you could have a tester from anywhere - Mauritania, Sudan, southern Turkey, Egypt, anywhere. Assuming you're not testing for Egyptian, then the tester will speak in MSA to you, albeit perhaps with the accent of their home country. A Moroccan tester won't test you in their crazy vowelless dialect, nor will a Lebanese tester stretch out every vowel sound to thirty letters long and drop French words in constantly.

What they test for is your proficiency in standard language - you could have an Iraqi accent but if you can still use a relatively formal register you'd be okay. However, if you only know Iraqi dialect then you would score relatively worse. Did you learn Iraqi or MSA first? Basically, if you're comfortable reading the paper and using language that you'd hear on a regular newscast (not a very formal, fully voweled speech or khitab) then you should be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abu Hans
Jun 30, 2010

the_chavi posted:

From what I recall, you can test in MSA or Egyptian, those are the only two FSI-recognized variants of Arabic. If you are testing in Egyptian you get an Egyptian tester; otherwise you could have a tester from anywhere - Mauritania, Sudan, southern Turkey, Egypt, anywhere. Assuming you're not testing for Egyptian, then the tester will speak in MSA to you, albeit perhaps with the accent of their home country. A Moroccan tester won't test you in their crazy vowelless dialect, nor will a Lebanese tester stretch out every vowel sound to thirty letters long and drop French words in constantly.

What they test for is your proficiency in standard language - you could have an Iraqi accent but if you can still use a relatively formal register you'd be okay. However, if you only know Iraqi dialect then you would score relatively worse. Did you learn Iraqi or MSA first? Basically, if you're comfortable reading the paper and using language that you'd hear on a regular newscast (not a very formal, fully voweled speech or khitab) then you should be okay.

I learned to speak in the Iraqi dialect, slang and laziness and the accent and so on. I can read and understand MSA well, however I have a difficult time with understanding news broadcasts and the like.