Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

get a real keyboard. or just do control+p

please show me a real shaggar keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk. any pc keyboard from the last 10 years?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oorrrr we could just have spacebar be play/pause like it is in every other video player/NLE

becuase you know, spacebar is a requirement for keyboards unlike play

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

"users were accidentally hitting spacebar, so lets make sure it does nothing in this release." - someone on WMP team.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
if i wanted to make a dumb skateboarding video for my nephews will any of the video editing things have a bunch of presets for cool effects or will i have to potentially learn things (i dont want to learn)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

no deblocking in mpeg-2 :(

netflix etc might not be perfect but mpeg-2 hd on cable really bothers me. never looks quite right, even if its ok

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

netflix is vc-1 or h.264 depending on where you watch it. Either way both support deblocking, and both are superior to mpeg-2

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

if i wanted to make a dumb skateboarding video for my nephews will any of the video editing things have a bunch of presets for cool effects or will i have to potentially learn things (i dont want to learn)

good video speaks for it self. presets are dumb 98% of the time.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

good video speaks for it self. presets are dumb 98% of the time.

i just want to do those dumb skateboard things where they freeze a dude halfway through a kick flip and his name wipes in from the side for a few seconds, wipes out and then resumes the clip

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

pagancow posted:

Media player classic home cinema.

Built in decoders for stuff windows doesn't have (mpeg2) keyboard controls, hardware accelerated playback, minimal UI, color management if you profile your display.

Also takes less than 3 seconds to open.

also with ffdshow installed

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I think Windows Movie Maker or whatever it's called now can do stuff like that. If not, there are some free video editing programs (I think zs4 is supposed to be good? But it looks like its site got hacked, lol) floating around.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

RZApublican posted:

ffdshow is nice for older codecs that don't get hardware acceleration (it has nice post-processing options). also it decodes adpcm for the once in a decade you encounter it

beyond that mpc-hc is great and it doesnt gently caress with any system decoders/filters

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

RZApublican posted:

No. Do not install ffdshow unless your application will not run without it.

Everything you need to decode video is already installed unless you are running OS 9 or something.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

install ffdshow if you like saying the following things:

• "wow why does my game crash when a bink video tries to play?"
  • "why is the surround audio being output as stereo?"
  • "woah, the video looks washed out" (Incorrect choice for TV/RGB IRE levels)
  • "Why is this video running so slow?" (Hardware acceleration turned off)
  • "Wait, subtitles, are off, why are they still playing?" (Second level of subtitles in FFDshow)
  • "why is this crashing windows media player?" (FFDShow doesn't test to see if it breaks WMP)
  • "Hey, cool, my NLE crashes now when I import this file" (FFDSHOW doesn't test to see if it breaks applications you need to use to get work done, like Premiere/Vegas)
  • "Hey, why does explorer crash every time I try to browse this folder?" (FFDSHOW doesn't test to see if reading a poster frame in explorer.exe crashes)
  • "Wait, I don't hear any voices" (You configured surround sound, and now you don't have a center channel)

Windows has every consumer level mpeg decoder installed, so dont gently caress with it

god install VLC first before you install ffdshow, at least all the wrongness will be confined to just one program instead of EVERYTHING.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

You buy a hardware coloremeter that is appropriate for your display, attach it to the monitor, and run the software.

You can get more complicated than that but being within ^E of 2% is good enough. Any more than that is really throwing money down the drain.

Unfortunately software has to be "color managed" or else it displays the poo poo straight. This is okay if you have a display that is native sRGB, as everything assumes sRGB

P sure you need a spectrophotometer for an LED-backlit LCD, but yeah, you put a colorimeter/spectrophotometer in front of your monitor and run the calibration software for it, and it generates a color profile.

But to answer the dude's question, last time I used windows for long enough to care about color management there was a thing in the monitor settings or some poo poo where you could set the monitor's color profile, and it had a thing that would let you do calibration by eye, which isn't as good as an actual spectrophotometer-generated profile, but is better than 99% of the default color profiles that monitors come with.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Don't use a .icm from a manufacturer. Each monitor needs to be hand tweaked.

Color management is hard, don't bother unless you know what you are doing. Just be happy being ignorant about colors like everybody else.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

becuase once you do it on your PC you will want to do it for your TV, and thats a pit you will just throw tons of money around on and be dissapointed with the result (less vibrant colors, stable gamma curve, less black, less eye seering white)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sRGB sucks, rec.709 sucks, all tv and video standards suck, see it with your real eyes or just dont bother.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

sRGB sucks, rec.709 sucks, all tv and video standards suck

much like everything related to computers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
recalculating font cache

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

reticulating splines

sports
Sep 1, 2012
i hate videophiles and audiophiles because all consumer electronics are poo poo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

Don't use a .icm from a manufacturer. Each monitor needs to be hand tweaked.

Color management is hard, don't bother unless you know what you are doing. Just be happy being ignorant about colors like everybody else.

apparently this is less of an issue with the ultrasharps these days, tend to come pre-calibrated, people reporting they're showing more than the 84% of the colourspace they guarantee

*does all post work in adobe RGB, clients reject everything due to viewing on 15" tn lcd from Circuit City*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

pagancow posted:

"users were accidentally hitting spacebar, so lets make sure it does nothing in this release." - someone on WMP team.

I was part of that argument in the wmp 7 - 8 days. Pretty lol in hindsight. Microsoft PMs amirite??

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gotta get your name in the changelog

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ahmeni posted:

Circuit City*

HOW ARE YOU POSTING FROM 2002???

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Your browser, video codec, ietf working group, and OS are all pieces of poo poo

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/4/3951940/google-mozilla-webrtc-video-chat-demo

verge score 6.5

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

browsers are becoming complicated enough to be an os them selves

chrome os?

too bad it doesn't support h.264 without enabling some linxey hack right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
real question: what are the encoding/decoding processing requirements for h265 gonna be like? is it gonna be ok in software on reg computers/smartphones or is it gonna need new chips?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
these are from memory, but i think they were shooting for 2-3 times the processing power for encoding, 2 times for decoding. compared to h.264

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

h.265 will need new hardware unless you want your battery to last like 30 minutes and play back video at 5 fps.

There will still be codec packs you can install and be in codec hell for desktop OSes.

The numbers I'm seeing thrown around are "higher requirements than High profile h.264" which is p high without an ASIC doing it

pagancow fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 5, 2013

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
well on my crappy old triumph the hardware decoder was garbage or at least the support for it in apps was so i just software decoded everything and it could do 800x480 mkv's with a 1ghz single core snapdragon s3

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nigga crab pollock posted:

well on my crappy old triumph the hardware decoder was garbage or at least the support for it in apps was so i just software decoded everything and it could do 800x480 mkv's with a 1ghz single core snapdragon s3

yes becuase you "decode mkvs"

have i taught you nothing?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i'm going to shove this DVD case into my DVD player and expect the movie to play -- a thing a 3 year old thinks

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

h.265 will need new hardware unless you want your battery to last like 30 minutes and play back video at 5 fps.

There will still be codec packs you can install and be in codec hell for desktop OSes.

The numbers I'm seeing thrown around are "higher requirements than High profile h.264" which is p high without an ASIC doing it

is codec hell still a thing?

doesnt everything just statically include ffmpeg or whatever?

that's what i anticipate anyway. at some point i will update vlc (or mvc) an dhandbrake and suddenly they just support h265.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

is codec hell still a thing?

doesnt everything just statically include ffmpeg or whatever?

that's what i anticipate anyway. at some point i will update vlc (or mvc) an dhandbrake and suddenly they just support h265.

when you rely on direct show, yes you can still be in codec hell.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

P sure you need a spectrophotometer for an LED-backlit LCD, but yeah, you put a colorimeter/spectrophotometer in front of your monitor and run the calibration software for it, and it generates a color profile.

But to answer the dude's question, last time I used windows for long enough to care about color management there was a thing in the monitor settings or some poo poo where you could set the monitor's color profile, and it had a thing that would let you do calibration by eye, which isn't as good as an actual spectrophotometer-generated profile, but is better than 99% of the default color profiles that monitors come with.

drat this is spergy as hell, I'm glad I don't gif a gently caress about my colors or sounds

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Hard NOP Life posted:

drat this is spergy as hell, I'm glad I don't gif a gently caress about my colors or sounds

*glares at u*

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

pagancow posted:

yes becuase you "decode mkvs"

have i taught you nothing?

possibly not idk this crab confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

when you rely on direct show, yes you can still be in codec hell.

only if you install dumb lovely codec packs like ffdshow or w/e. you don't need to install codec packs at all in windows.

• Locked thread