Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
1) I had thought of Koreans as Vulcans for the longest time. I was mistaken.
A) I also heard a lot about well behaved, reserved, quiet, respectful students.

2) All the videos of housing on YouTube talked about strict recycling laws, I was excited for this and quickly disabused of that idea.

3) I still don't understand butchering here. It seems way less efficient /more wasteful than the French style. Shocking for a country with a history of famine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DontAskKant posted:

The boys all have the haircut though.

Hopefully that was not the joke.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Cameron posted:

The only weird thing to me that still irks me is getting samgyupsal or chicken or any meat with bones still in it.

Why would I pay for bones? Give me some tenders, ya mooks. I'll gladly pay another 500 won to cover the cost of some adjumma taking the bones out of my slop.

I've had some luck just asking for 뼈가 없다 as charmingly as I can manage. It works sometimes!

Also, despite what I just posted, you want yourself some BHC Chicken as promoted by internationally-beloved kpop superstars 2AM. In an endless sea of fried chicken huts, they stand alone. Their 치킨덴다 are juicy, boneless, and covered in the same delicious, slightly spicy breading that encrusts their regular fried chicken.

I'll come out and say it: BHC is the best fried chicken chain on the peninsula. This I believe.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

:argh: bones in my tender, tender meat.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Garbanian posted:

Someone told me I should try cross posting here.
I'm trying to get more kpop cds, the physical versions rather than downloads.

Since some of your are in Korea, i would only have to really pay a bit extra for your trouble + shipping instead of super online premium and premium shipping.

If anyone would be able to do this, hit me up here, or pm, or e-mail ohnoesitsmeh@hotmail.com I'd be more than appreciative.

All shipping would be to USA, 44035.

I'm more than happy to do this for you if you post a headshot holding a sign that says "SA Garbanian" proving you aren't a white male.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Alright I've got a problem and I need some help interpreting Korean stuff from anyone who gets the culture a little more. I think I'm in a good spot but still, I'm naive sometimes and this involves one of those "my kid is perfect" parents.

My boss is generally good about defending the teachers. I've seen him kick out kids who were assholes. Like we dont want your money never come back kick out. So I trust I'm ok, but you know it's Korea.

There's a class that generally likes me a lot because I'm a clown and pretty lenient. They're early middle school (13 or 14 years old.) one girl always plays the victim though, the kinda kid you call on and she says "why?" then gets pissed every time. Like all middle school kids this class is bad about cellphones. I've seen them flat out ignore their Korean teacher when she asks for their phones and stuff. They kinda hate her and honestly she hates them.

Yesterday the girl was in a really bad mood, whatever. Cell phones were out when class started, after a bit I got them to put them away with a "if I see it again it's mine until class is over." About 10 minutes later she has her head down and to the side, I call on her to read something, she ignores me. I look under the desk and shes loving around on her cell phone. I wasnt subtle about it either, made it clear I was looking under and right at her cell phone.

She throws a tantrum, slides the phone in her pocket and denies the whole thing. Head back down and shes checked out for class, whatever. She tells her mom a bullshit story, that she didnt have her cellphone out, I never said anything about it before and her head was down because she "had a headache." She told her mom she was whatever translates to "mortified" in Korean.

So my boss is pissed, tells me about it and asks what I saw and where I was sitting, etc. He tells me "dont worry. I'm not mad at you I'm mad at her mother. She is a liar."

My boss, the Korean teacher and I talk over dinner about it. The Korean teacher knows how they are with their cellphones and class attitude and poo poo. She says "she didnt have a headache in my class and she didnt tell anyone else she had a headache, shes a liar. She has a bad attitude." they tell me probably 5 times that no one is angry with me but at the girl and her mother. I do the whole "I'm so sorry you have to deal with this" thing to my director. He tells me "don't be upset I understand. This is not your problem it's mine."

So my first question, am I really in an ok situation here or am I missing some Korean stuff between the lines? I trust my director, hes always been good to me and the teachers but at the same time this is Korea and it involves an angry, insane parent. Her brother is in my class too. He really likes me though.

Second question. The girl, the Korean teacher and I are going to "talk" tomorrow and talk about the situation and her attitude. The Korean teacher asked me if I want an apology from the student but I just said "I just want what's best for everyone. I don't need an apology." I don't know if this is a sorta conference thing, some saving face deal, or damage control by the hagwon. I've been trying to play the game here and choose my words very carefully but that's a little harder with a 14 year old girl. How should I go about this, should I apologize? Apologize in a sort of non-direct way that takes no blame? Stand firm? What? I don't know what I'm expected to do or what I should say/how I should go about this.

Also the drunk bitchy teacher I hate got in a serious accident and is in the hospital so my boss and the other teachers are extra stressed anyway. Honestly, I'm ok with her being gone since it sounds like one of those accidents that happens when drunk and now the teacher office doesnt smell like soju for the first half of the day.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Chickentalk: Wait, you guys are still accidently ordering boned chicken? I learned how to order boneless chicken before I could even ask for a toilet. Soon-Sal (optional: Young-Nyum) Chicken. Soon-Sal is your ticket to delicious chicken pieces without fears of bones clogging up your joke holes.

BrainDance,
If your school has CCTV, then this is an open and shut case. You might as well use your contract completion pay to hire Korean Andy Griffith to come in and saunter about the office while presenting damning evidence that your student is a disgruntled dick.

Without it, it's the word of a 14 year old girl versus you. If you want to really drive the nails down hard, shame her. Have her classmates come in one by one and ask them what happened. Make her a social pariah for her crimes.

However, you're probably a mature adult. Throughout the whole ordeal, just make it known you're not upset, just disappointed. Make sure she knows you think highly of her, and her actions in class have let you down.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

We actually have no cctv. The only hagwon I've seen without it but I think it's a good thing. As dumb as it is I feel much more comfortable being BrainDance the nerdy clown teacher without cctv. i know no one would watch it, but I'm not comfortable doing the chicken dance on tape.

I'm not a mature adult but I don't want to shame her or anything. I just want to do what I'm expected to do, or whatever will give me the most job security. It's like, what do I do? If I stick to "you were on your phone I saw you" shes just going to stick to "no I wasn't I had a headache etc etc" and just lie out her teeth. She isn't the kind of kid who will feel all that bad about it. Then who knows what she says to her mom after. But the other option has me admitting guilt (even if not directly) to something thats all a bunch of bullshit from a teenage girl. Then how am I going to deal with her in class after I cave to her once?

The class had three students that day. Her brother and her best friend. So, shame is kinda out of the picture anyway.

I also just want to make sure I don't go about this in a way where I make some Korean faux pas.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

AmbientParadox posted:

Chickentalk: Wait, you guys are still accidently ordering boned chicken? I learned how to order boneless chicken before I could even ask for a toilet. Soon-Sal (optional: Young-Nyum) Chicken. Soon-Sal is your ticket to delicious chicken pieces without fears of bones clogging up your joke holes.

Boneless chicken is often processed. So depending on where you are you're might be paying 15,000 for oddly shaped Mcnuggets.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Onion Knight posted:

I've had some luck just asking for 뼈가 없다 as charmingly as I can manage. It works sometimes!

Also, despite what I just posted, you want yourself some BHC Chicken as promoted by internationally-beloved kpop superstars 2AM. In an endless sea of fried chicken huts, they stand alone. Their 치킨덴다 are juicy, boneless, and covered in the same delicious, slightly spicy breading that encrusts their regular fried chicken.

I'll come out and say it: BHC is the best fried chicken chain on the peninsula. This I believe.

Every time I eat there I get massive diarrhea, and I still eat there weekly.

e. Braindance, I'm sure your situation is different than mine, but I go hardcore on the public humiliation and never have problems again. Then again, because you're working for a private business I'm not sure they'd want to lose a customer. Just earlier this week a student kept teasing another student in class calling him gay etc. So, at the end of class I made the kid follow me upstairs to the VP's desk and explain to the VP what he did. He looked absolutely terrified. This has been my go to for discipline, I've only had a few issues so it's working.

I'm starting another discipline idea at our school that our principal loves. He's going to help me on it. Basically if you get in trouble for something major, not only do you stand in the hall, you have to where a sign for the rest of the day with what you are being punished for. I love it because I could never get away with this in the states, but it is super effective.

Maxsmart fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 7, 2013

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
As long as we're all having a "Wow, Korea is so smart and great!"
I'd like to again bitch about Haansoft.

I was asked to proofread a thesis abstract and I get an .hwp file. For the past 7 months all I've used for my personal computing has been my ipad also with the occasional ssh session to my headless server.

I tried downloading this piece of poo poo to copy out the text:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hancom-office-viewer/id369832061?mt=8

You can't even copy text.

My review:
'I pity you if you receive an .hwp file from someone living in South Korea. Look at the list of formats this jack of all trades, master of none app attempts to handle. This would be impressive, except its impossible to do something as simple as copy text.

This app is completely useless and its desktop counterpart is as well with terrible non anti-aliased font rendering, poorly resized images with messed up aspect ratios which make most documents look extremely unprofessional.

Of course, this program also completely ignored a central tenet of iOS's design philosophy, which is to hide the file system from the user.

I would go on, but let me leave you with a plea:
Don't buy anything from Haansoft. If someone sends you an hwp file, demand that they resend it to you in a more open and editable format, even Microsoft's .doc and .docx format are better and that is a sad line to end this review with.'

Go rate that poo poo a 1. gently caress the Korean Internet ghetto.

politicorific fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 7, 2013

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
What's the paid-for wifi availability like in Busan? If I have a tablet tethered to some sort of wifi hotspot thing would I be able to use it most places in the city? Not crazy about the idea of having to get a monthly data plan.

I only ask because I can remember seeing big wifi routers even way out in the mountains in the North of Seoul.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL

THE LUMMOX posted:

I'm more than happy to do this for you if you post a headshot holding a sign that says "SA Garbanian" proving you aren't a white male.

can't do. I am a white male. Does it change anything if I tell you I'm a homo?
straight white male I could understand.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Garbanian posted:

can't do. I am a white male. Does it change anything if I tell you I'm a homo?
straight white male I could understand.

I'll help you, man. Everybody has a vice.

Try checking gmarket, it's kinda like ebay for korea. Most sellers offer international shipping.

Here's a search for kpop cds:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challe...arch_type=goods

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

joedevola posted:

What's the paid-for wifi availability like in Busan? If I have a tablet tethered to some sort of wifi hotspot thing would I be able to use it most places in the city? Not crazy about the idea of having to get a monthly data plan.

I only ask because I can remember seeing big wifi routers even way out in the mountains in the North of Seoul.

You can get a wi-fi plan with your internet service, which will let you access that company's wi-fi networks. Or there are free ones at coffee shops and increasingly other places. My city added wi-fi to the buses like a year ago.

Unlimited 3G data isn't exactly expensive here, either.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

BrainDance posted:

We actually have no cctv. The only hagwon I've seen without it but I think it's a good thing. As dumb as it is I feel much more comfortable being BrainDance the nerdy clown teacher without cctv. i know no one would watch it, but I'm not comfortable doing the chicken dance on tape.

I'm not a mature adult but I don't want to shame her or anything. I just want to do what I'm expected to do, or whatever will give me the most job security. It's like, what do I do? If I stick to "you were on your phone I saw you" shes just going to stick to "no I wasn't I had a headache etc etc" and just lie out her teeth. She isn't the kind of kid who will feel all that bad about it. Then who knows what she says to her mom after. But the other option has me admitting guilt (even if not directly) to something thats all a bunch of bullshit from a teenage girl. Then how am I going to deal with her in class after I cave to her once?

The class had three students that day. Her brother and her best friend. So, shame is kinda out of the picture anyway.

I also just want to make sure I don't go about this in a way where I make some Korean faux pas.

Don't ever cave if you're in the right and she knows it. She'll own you for the rest of the class, and it'll encourage other kids to disreguard you too. Other kids want to do that sort of thing too, they're just too decent to be blatant about it. If the other girl can flaunt it they'll be more likely to join in.

If you really want to put the screws to her tell her mom to check her kakao account if she doesn't believe you. I've never seen a kid regularly delete them and odds are if she chats in your class she chats in most of her classes. I'd bet she doesn't go 10 minutes without sending a text all day if she's anything like my old troublemaker middle schoolers. Yeah it's a huge breach of privacy, the mom probably won't go for it, but the "oh poo poo" look on the girls face will be damning enough.

Maxsmart posted:

I'm starting another discipline idea at our school that our principal loves. He's going to help me on it. Basically if you get in trouble for something major, not only do you stand in the hall, you have to where a sign for the rest of the day with what you are being punished for. I love it because I could never get away with this in the states, but it is super effective.

Wow, you are literally going medieval on them.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 8, 2013

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Garbanian posted:

Someone told me I should try cross posting here.
I'm trying to get more kpop cds, the physical versions rather than downloads.

Since some of your are in Korea, i would only have to really pay a bit extra for your trouble + shipping instead of super online premium and premium shipping.

If anyone would be able to do this, hit me up here, or pm, or e-mail ohnoesitsmeh@hotmail.com I'd be more than appreciative.

All shipping would be to USA, 44035.

They don't pay you to listen to K-pop?

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

DontAskKant posted:

A) I also heard a lot about well behaved, reserved, quiet, respectful students.

Well apart from the Vulcans-and-Romulans separation, I think Star Trek intended the Ferengi to represent Space Asians. But if you follow DS9 they remind me a lot more of the Bajorans, with the Cardassians standing in for the Japanese.

/:drugnerd:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know, Any Ajjoshi or Ajjuma would be a hell of a klingon. Suwon Ajj-s are clearly that lizard thing Kirk fights in the original run.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL

ladron posted:

I'll help you, man. Everybody has a vice.

Try checking gmarket, it's kinda like ebay for korea. Most sellers offer international shipping.

Here's a search for kpop cds:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challe...arch_type=goods

I know of gmarket and use it for vita games in Korea, but for cds...ive never thought of it for some reason. I'll check it and see how bad it is compared to everywhere else.

thanks!

slacjs
Feb 27, 2009

Pretty sure buying CDs in shops is more expensive than buying them online.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Clearly Koreans are Bothans

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I see whatever alien species Yoda is in the old people seats on the subway all the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ferengi were mocking the US, at least in DS9.

I'm just gonna stop typing now because I could, in fact, go on. At length.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Ferengi were mocking the US, at least in DS9.

I'm just gonna stop typing now because I could, in fact, go on. At length.

That's an interesting claim. I always thought the Vulcans in Enterprise were the best analogy of the US.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait, then I'm confused. Is the Federation supposed to be the European Union then?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

The Borg are the British Empire

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Arctic Baldwin posted:

The Borg are the British Empire

They were the Soviets, after the Klingons were moved from Soviet/Fu Manchu stereotype to black stereotype.

Maybe the US is best represented by the Dominion? They were equally multicultural to the Federation, while also more warlike, and they had a tendency to overthrow governments and set up tinpot dictators.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

terivinix posted:

That's an interesting claim. I always thought the Vulcans in Enterprise were the best analogy of the US.

The Ferengi originally don't count since they were supposed to be villains, and well, lol. They quickly realized that didn't work.

So DS9 Ferengi were the Ultra-Capitalists of Ultra-Capitalism, mocking that phenomenon specifically in the US though it obviously is more widespread. At one point the term Yankee Trader is used as an analogy for the Ferengi, which is the most direct "this is what we're talking about" thing they go for. The closest of the major races to Space Asians are probably the TNG Klingons, being Space Bushido instead of their original Soviet analogy.

If you spend time reading interviews with DS9's creators, therefore,

(the Federation is basically Marx's theoretical ideal, though it's still a state entity instead of full anarchy, though in TOS it's Space USA)

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

This thread is turning into a more permanent form of the kakao chat

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
It is. Everyone shut up talking about Star Trek, I'm not in the Kakao for this reason. Keep your inane ramblings to Kakao.

To get back on Korea related topics, what's everyone doing for New Years?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We could talk about the various Space Irish episodes.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Brimmy posted:

It is. Everyone shut up talking about Star Trek, I'm not in the Kakao for this reason. Keep your inane ramblings to Kakao.

To get back on Korea related topics, what's everyone doing for New Years?

Seollal and Chuseok are the best two times to go urban exploring in Korea. I usually plan a trip somewhere more high-profile or sensitive because there's less chance of running into workers. This year I'm hitting up a subway tunnel under construction, and if it hasn't already been gutted I'd like to see inside the Shilla Hotel which is under renovations.

I also might set another snowman on fire if the weather conditions permit. I did it earlier this week but the falling snow messed up my photos.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Sooner or later Star Trek pollutes every thread I follow. Stop it!

Edit: Oh man, I should do some urbex this weekend! Wish living in the country didn't make finding locations so difficult though...

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Sooner or later Star Trek pollutes every thread I follow. Stop it!

Edit: Oh man, I should do some urbex this weekend! Wish living in the country didn't make finding locations so difficult though...

I've talked with explorers in Chungcheong-do who say that all the abandonments in Korea are way out in the countryside. Depending on where you are, though, you could be seeing a massive influx of hometown visitors this weekend, which would make this the worst time to do it.

Does Busan's population swell up or deflate during the big commuter holidays?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's a largeish building here that's just been a shell for as long as I've lived here, I've been meaning to check it out. I'm guessing it's an apartment building, hard to tell.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL

slacjs posted:

Pretty sure buying CDs in shops is more expensive than buying them online.

till you buy a foreign cd on an English site. Upmarking them by 100% sometimes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

terivinix posted:

I've talked with explorers in Chungcheong-do who say that all the abandonments in Korea are way out in the countryside. Depending on where you are, though, you could be seeing a massive influx of hometown visitors this weekend, which would make this the worst time to do it.

Does Busan's population swell up or deflate during the big commuter holidays?

I'm sure there are cool abandonments out here, but since my only personal transportation is a bicycle it's difficult to find them. It's mostly rice fields out here. Biking down random roads has led me to stumble upon several empty restaurants and hotels, but nothing really interesting since the old mine I found back in October.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
A few weeks back, this weird growth formed on my eyelid. It's probably nothing but I don't like it. For something like this, could I just have it removed at the doctors, or do I have to go to a plastic surgeon?

On this note, will local doctors be closed until Tuesday due to the holiday then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
It's probably a stye

e. I've replaced my phone, I'm afraid to join chat though, life is so quiet right now.

• Locked thread