Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is Malack angry at Belkar for some reason I've forgotten? I don't know why he'd attack at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

Is Malack angry at Belkar for some reason I've forgotten? I don't know why he'd attack at all.

They're on opposite teams and it's not like an adventurer ever needed a reason on top of that to kill somebody.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

seaborgium posted:

It does depend on initiative, a sneak attack can do a lot of damage to an unprepared character. Belkar's not a rogue though, I think he only has ranger and barbarian levels.

Oh, duh. Of course he's not a rogue. Not sure what I was thinking there.

In that case he's doomed if they fight.

As to the timing - having it be sudden and out of nowhere at the same time as being long expected feels like a Burlew sort of thing to do.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 8, 2013

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CapnAndy posted:

Because a 3 foot tall sociopath is trying to carve out his shinbones?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think Belkar will die here. It doesn't feel right. I don't know how he'll survive, maybe V really will show up soon.

Mocha Frost
May 1, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think Belkar will die here. It doesn't feel right. I don't know how he'll survive, maybe V really will show up soon.

Making him into a vampire would be a great move after all the "how will Belkar die' theories. Especially, after he killed off Miko permanently.

Also, the funny aside of casually revealing Malak to be a vampire.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It is absolutely right. He dies suddenly down in a pit somewhere because he pissed off someone meaner than him. That's exactly how Belkar's story deserves to end.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think Malack is probably not going to attack unprovoked. It is likely that Belkar will provoke him though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shugojin posted:

I think Malack is probably not going to attack unprovoked. It is likely that Belkar will provoke him though.

Oh, totally. Like I said, should be a fun scene.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Not that I think it's likely, but I'd wager it is possible Malack will try to get Belkar/them to kill Nale, and that's how he'll die.

Or something vaguely in that order. Evil clerics can control undead in that edition, right? Or whichever term you want to use.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Colonel Cool posted:

It sort of feels like it's still too early for Belkar to die. We've seen hints of character development and killing him before they go anywhere seems just a bit off.

Correction: We've seen hints of him acting like he was having character development. Just enough for the rest of the party to feel okay with keeping him around. Or did you forget the Hojo Fever Dream already?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
That was just Hojo tricking Belkar into falling into character development rear end-backwards. Belkar has sense demonstrated legitimate character development, and resented it terribly, mostly thanks to wacky old dude's bequethment, one cat.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah I was referring to the whole bit about Mr Scruffy inspiring the occasional twinge of empathy, not the fake "Hey look at me I'm Mr Good Teammate!" thing he's got going on.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

He'll probably catch Belkar, not kill him. They're trying to find the rest of his party, after all. Although things still might not end well for Belkar.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are we sure Malack can make the concentration (dc: cat to the face) roll though?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My guess is still that Belkar's gonna die and Roy's gonna raise him as a gently caress you to fate.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I kind of like the idea that Malack and Belkar don't really have anything against each other except their being on different teams.

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
Of all the times to succeed on a listen check..

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Belkar is going to draw a picture of breath and vow never to do it again.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Toussaint Louverture posted:

My guess is still that Belkar's gonna die and Roy's gonna raise him as a gently caress you to fate.

I kind of doubt that. Certainly that's not Roy's plan right now. I suppose something could change at some point, but if Belkar gets whacked by Malack right now, I'm guessing they'll leave him dead.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't know no D&D, but the Oracle didn't specifically say he would DIE, did he? Just that he would draw his last breath ever. There's gotta be a rule or loophole for that somewhere, right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Terper posted:

I don't know no D&D, but the Oracle didn't specifically say he would DIE, did he? Just that he would draw his last breath ever. There's gotta be a rule or loophole for that somewhere, right?

There is almost no chance the prophecy will be lawyered around. Belkar is going bye bye, it's just a matter of how and when.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Terper posted:

No real room for loopholes.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0329.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

It's basically been the Monty Python parrot sketch. He hasn't said he'd die, but he has said that Belkar doesn't need to fund his Individual Retirement Account, that he should savor his next birthday cake, that he isn't long for this world, and that he's going to draw his last breath ever before the end of the year. You could make it into some sort of lovely twist where the conditions are fulfilled without Belkar being dead, but I really wouldn't bet on it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The Oracle has already done the "my prophecy came true in a totally lame way that wasn't at all what you expected" joke, with the answer to Belkar's question about whose death he gets to cause. I suppose one could argue that this makes a repeat in-character, but it would probably be just totally lame, this time in an out-of-universe sense.

e: I think being raised as an undead after an appropriately dramatic death would be fine though. I'm sure Rich could make a ghost/vampire/mummy/Force-spirit Belkar interesting. And it would be a neat counterpoint with Miko (both in that she narrowly missed being animated, and in that undead evil Miko would have been a pretty predictable character).

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 8, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

NihilCredo posted:

The Oracle has already done the "my prophecy came true in a totally lame way that wasn't anywhere what you expected" joke, with the answer to Belkar's question about whose death he gets to cause.

That was also an attempt at dodging the "my prophecy will come true when you murder me in a couple minutes, you psychopath" and he knew it wouldn't work even if it was "worth a shot".

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Belkar becomes an undead. He therefore draws his last breath before he rises and he can't savour his next birthday cake, the same way Xykon can't savour coffee once he becomes a Lich in Start of Darkness. Boom, loophole.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

But wouldn't he still need to fund his IRA? I mean, if you're undead your retirement outlook improves considerably, and you would need to make sure you have tons of cash saved up to last you for your ongoing afterlife.

Mostly if Belkar does kick it in a final sense, I wonder if they would replace him in the party and with who.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ashcans posted:

Mostly if Belkar does kick it in a final sense, I wonder if they would replace him in the party and with who.

Yek-Yek, the last survivor of the Yuk-Yuk family.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ashcans posted:

But wouldn't he still need to fund his IRA? I mean, if you're undead your retirement outlook improves considerably, and you would need to make sure you have tons of cash saved up to last you for your ongoing afterlife.

I'd assume that undead don't actually ever retire per se. The only reason people do is because of the whole "too old to perform duties", although that varies by person and how much they don't want to work. Undead just keep on trucking, so...I mean, even if you did "retire" and got your hands on your IRA, you'd eventually have to get back to work, thanks to that whole immortality thing.

I mean, talking about IRAs in the context of D&D Fantasy is already a bit :spergin:, but that's where I would think he's going with that, if he actually wants to do an undead Belkar.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wonder if Malack knows the Oracle.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
Belkar should get killed one frame before the party meets Shmelkar the chaotic evil halfing ranger who loots all of Belkar's stuff and joins the party under poorly explained circumstances.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
My prediction is that before Belkar dies he is to kill V who is under IFCC control, as seen by the Oracle. (The prophecy was ambiguous, but it would just be more fitting if the answer to Belkar's question "Which one?" was "All of them".)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ursine Asylum posted:

I'd assume that undead don't actually ever retire per se. The only reason people do is because of the whole "too old to perform duties", although that varies by person and how much they don't want to work. Undead just keep on trucking, so...I mean, even if you did "retire" and got your hands on your IRA, you'd eventually have to get back to work, thanks to that whole immortality thing.

I mean, talking about IRAs in the context of D&D Fantasy is already a bit :spergin:, but that's where I would think he's going with that, if he actually wants to do an undead Belkar.

Well I mean the practical reason for retirement is that you are too old to work, but in a more modern sense it is also true that people 'retire' from their earning career to spend time on a task they love that doesn't pay well. So someone might spend thirty years working white collar so that they can save up and retire to be an artist or something.

If you are undead you no longer have to worry about being unable to work, but practically speaking that isn't actually a concern for a mortal adventure either (a mortal who survives a lifetime of adventuring will probably acquire any number of items, skills, or abilities that make the regular worries of old age trivial). But if you're undead you have the advantage of essentially an unlimited working period. So you could work for say, two or three hundred years, and build up a retirement portfolio. With a large enough principle, you could sustain yourself basically indefinitely on dividends doing whatever you want to do.

I mean that is actually a pretty classic tactic for something like a vampire, who can stockpile all sorts of assets over time to make themselves functionally independent forever (it's not like Dracula had a job)

Edit; it will turn out he shouldn't fund his IRA because its not a good investment vehicle for undead retirement.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 8, 2013

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Well, it's also possible that we're coming to the end of the comic so people can die permanently and not have as many long term consequences. I mean, we have 3 main characters that will likely be dead very soon (I doubt V will survive her possession).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ashcans posted:

Well I mean the practical reason for retirement is that you are too old to work, but in a more modern sense it is also true that people 'retire' from their earning career to spend time on a task they love that doesn't pay well. So someone might spend thirty years working white collar so that they can save up and retire to be an artist or something.

If you are undead you no longer have to worry about being unable to work, but practically speaking that isn't actually a concern for a mortal adventure either (a mortal who survives a lifetime of adventuring will probably acquire any number of items, skills, or abilities that make the regular worries of old age trivial). But if you're undead you have the advantage of essentially an unlimited working period. So you could work for say, two or three hundred years, and build up a retirement portfolio. With a large enough principle, you could sustain yourself basically indefinitely on dividends doing whatever you want to do.

I mean that is actually a pretty classic tactic for something like a vampire, who can stockpile all sorts of assets over time to make themselves functionally independent forever (it's not like Dracula had a job)

Edit; it will turn out he shouldn't fund his IRA because its not a good investment vehicle for undead retirement.

This is a finance derail. Sorry?

The most significant risk to such a long term strategy is going to be currency devaluation. Historically there are very few currencies which have maintained value and you're at risk of losing some portion of your portfolio each time you join a flight to safety. For example, if you'd been invested in Deutchse marks prior to and during WW1 you would have rapidly discovered that you'd have to go back to work for another couple hundred years after WW1 when folks were burning marks for heat. It's only recently that it's even been possible to get away from this kind of risk with the easy access to global capital markets and the robust FX market that's out there now.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

builds character posted:

This is a finance derail. Sorry?

The most significant risk to such a long term strategy is going to be currency devaluation. Historically there are very few currencies which have maintained value and you're at risk of losing some portion of your portfolio each time you join a flight to safety. For example, if you'd been invested in Deutchse marks prior to and during WW1 you would have rapidly discovered that you'd have to go back to work for another couple hundred years after WW1 when folks were burning marks for heat. It's only recently that it's even been possible to get away from this kind of risk with the easy access to global capital markets and the robust FX market that's out there now.

That's why you invest in precious metals. Unless America gets discovered, you're safe for a long time.

Or you establish a monopoly over a type of precious stone, establish it as a status symbol, manipulate the market in order to keep it's value artificially high, and hand over the control of the company to a bunch of living executives payed in percentages. You're safe and sound for the rest of your unlife. (Or until the bubble bursts, but hey, that only happens to other people, right?)
What I'm trying to say is that the De-Beers are vampires. :colbert:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

builds character posted:

The most significant risk to such a long term strategy is going to be currency devaluation.

In the real world, sure; but in a D&D setting there is no such thing as inflation. The prices of stuff are fixed once and for all in the Rulebooks, where they have the same constance and infallibility as the rules of physics. (More, in fact. Magic doesn't affect prices. I mean, sure, you can swindle someone with some charm or compulsion spell, but that's just you being dishonest rather than the intrinsic price of things changing.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Fire Storm posted:

Well, it's also possible that we're coming to the end of the comic so people can die permanently and not have as many long term consequences. I mean, we have 3 main characters that will likely be dead very soon (I doubt V will survive her possession).

I'd never considered who will actually live or die by the end of the story (OotS ending has always seemed a rather distant prospect). With Belkar and Durkon set to expire, and V not having the best chances of survival, who of Roy, Elan and Haley will make it out? Narratively it wouldn't be too unusual for Roy to bite it in order to defeat Xykon once and for all, so it might just be Elan and Haley who survive.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dolash posted:

I'd never considered who will actually live or die by the end of the story (OotS ending has always seemed a rather distant prospect). With Belkar and Durkon set to expire, and V not having the best chances of survival, who of Roy, Elan and Haley will make it out? Narratively it wouldn't be too unusual for Roy to bite it in order to defeat Xykon once and for all, so it might just be Elan and Haley who survive.

Well, Elan was promised a happy ending (for himself, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dolash posted:

Elan gets a happy ending, per prophecy. While it might just be possible to see a definition of happy where Roy dies nobly, I can't see Elan being willing to lose Haley and still consider it a "happy ending." Therefore, I'm going with:

Elan and Haley almost certainly alive.

Roy probably alive.

Vaarsuvius maybe alive. He/she may come out of the possession alive after all

Durkon probably not alive. Though ressurection/raise dead is a possibility here...we know he's going home posthumously, but as Roy has already shown, dead doesn't always mean stays dead. Everything Roy's done since the end of the last book is technically posthumously.

Belkar almost certainly dead.