Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

I loving LOVE Jimmy Hart. From his custom microphones, to his willingness to appear in Wrestlicious (without a sign of shame), to the fact he hasn't aged in 30 years.

I always thought Jimmy Hart was one of the main guys behind Wrestlicious, because it's Jimmy Hart and it just makes so much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

has anybody tried that new chikara streaming service? http://shop.wrestlingis.com

Whats the quality like? is the selection good enough to warrant a go?

I'm in the Uk and shipping costs me a bomb

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Meat Recital posted:

Does anyone have a link to the WWE wellness thread that used to be stickied?

Did you mean this one?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Golden Bee posted:

I loving LOVE Jimmy Hart. From his custom microphones, to his willingness to appear in Wrestlicious (without a sign of shame), to the fact he hasn't aged in 30 years.

I'm pretty sure that Jimmy is a lich and that drat megaphone is his phylactery.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I miss proper wrestling managers. Late 80s-early 90s, it seems like everyone had a manager. Jimmy Hart, Bobby Heenan, Sherri, Elizabeth, Fuji...

I'd love to be a manager :ohdear:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The only one now is Ricardo, which probably does a lot to explain why he's so awesome.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The best manager of the last 10 years was Sweet and Sour Larry Sweeney and he is no longer with us. I am not sure if it is just no real managers or the fact that he was that drat good, but he was really awesome.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 7, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Sweeney was the best, he had so much charisma.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

The only one now is Ricardo, which probably does a lot to explain why he's so awesome.

Brock still has Heyman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

Brock still has Heyman.

And Vickie oscillates between being GM and a regular manager.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I suppose this is awkward to talk about, but who's paying for Jake Roberts (and now Scott Hall?) to get well under the wing of DDP? Is he supporting them on his own dime?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yup, as far as we know, DDP is paying their way.

Which just makes him even more so the Best Person in the Universe Ever.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

I miss proper wrestling managers. Late 80s-early 90s, it seems like everyone had a manager. Jimmy Hart, Bobby Heenan, Sherri, Elizabeth, Fuji...

I'd love to be a manager :ohdear:

Me too. Surely there's a niche for an upper class British twit as a manager?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They sure did!

I recall reading somewhere that bassSting actually did have to pay wrestlingSting a fee to use the name, since the latter was smart enough to lay legal claims to it first and presumably since they're both performers. Was that just a silly rumour? Might have been from Wikipedia so who knows.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I recall reading somewhere that bassSting actually did have to pay wrestlingSting a fee to use the name, since the latter was smart enough to lay legal claims to it first and presumably since they're both performers. Was that just a silly rumour? Might have been from Wikipedia so who knows.

I don't recall ever hearing this before myself (and I've been around long enough to remember when those guys looked as young as they did in that pic), but I seriously doubt its' validity as Gordon "I WILL kill him" Sumner has been performing under the Sting nickname since the mid-to-late 1970s, while Steve "My best friend just turned on me...again" Borden didn't start using it until the mid-1980s. Not to mention that I can't honestly see a judge not laughing at any lawsuit claiming one or the other was using the name in such a way as to legitimately confuse a person re: Sting the musician/actor vs. Sting the wrestler.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Did anything come of those strange videos Damien Demento used to post that started with him get angry about people calling a jobber and got weirder from there? I think I remember hearing that he was doing them for an acting class or something, was that true?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is a longstanding rumor that's never been verified in any way as far as I can tell. It makes little sense.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Considering Steve Borden wasn't even well-known or using that name until a few years after the gigantic success of The Police, it's not even really feasible, yeah.

I guess if Sumner didn't ever try to trademark it and then Borden got to it, maybe, but I don't buy that at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nasboat posted:

Considering Steve Borden wasn't even well-known or using that name until a few years after the gigantic success of The Police, it's not even really feasible, yeah.

I guess if Sumner didn't ever try to trademark it and then Borden got to it, maybe, but I don't buy that at all.

In that case the other just shows proof of prior use and it isn't a problem anymore.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

In that case the other just shows proof of prior use and it isn't a problem anymore.
See also: Captain Charisma. Christian may have trademarked it before WWE bothered to, but that didn't make him own it. Trademark and Copyright don't have to be registered. That's just an extra step that can help occasionally.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Has Bruno ever worked heel?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

John Cena posted:

Has Bruno ever worked heel?

Not during his active career, I don't think. Probably the closest he ever came was that match against Pedro Morales (where apparently the fans were booing him and cheering for Morales), but even then that was just more of a "misunderstanding between two heroes" than any sort of heel turn-type scenario, and they ended up hugging it out after the match went to a draw.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Has anyone other than Bret Hart ever done the figure four around the ring post? Bret claims he invented it which is quite possible as I can't recall anyone ever doing it before or after.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

budreck posted:

Has anyone other than Bret Hart ever done the figure four around the ring post? Bret claims he invented it which is quite possible as I can't recall anyone ever doing it before or after.

Flair did it during their mini feud in WCW, and I think DDP did it too.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

budreck posted:

Kurt Angle did it against Bikertaker in the match where Kurt's brother switched in, I believe. And other times.

I swear I've seen others. I feel like it was in a WWE match in the last year, but I'm probably wrong.

It's a cool looking spot, but I can't help but think the real figure four would hurt more because you use the other leg leverage.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

One of the members of Legacy did it to Shawn Michaels during the DX feud and made him tap clean with it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gar posted:

It's a cool looking spot, but I can't help but think the real figure four would hurt more because you use the other leg leverage.

It's less about actually hurting more and more the illusion of hurting. It uses the ring post so you immediately assume it's like doing a wrestling move with a steel chair. It's also illegal and illegal = hurts more.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I just thought they theoretically get a lot more leverage because their entire body weight is hanging off the crossed-over shin, or whatever part of the leg a figure four hurts.

Only submission I can understand is the Ankle Lock. Everything else is too convoluted. Ah look he's trying to break that guys ankle, makes perfect sense.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember when we did the Figure Four Leglock at school (yeah yeah, we were dumb kids - it was awesome) it was pretty much the only move that really hurt - especially if somebody really locked it in.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Figure four is my favorite submission because of how evil it is. Someone is driving your ankle into your knee and isn't going to let go until one of those joints snap.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Supreme Allah posted:

Only submission I can understand is the Ankle Lock. Everything else is too convoluted. Ah look he's trying to break that guys ankle, makes perfect sense.
Also, twisting someone's ankle with just the strength in your arms, not even getting hips and core into it, will legit ruin someone's ability to walk properly for a long time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Memento1979 posted:

Also, twisting someone's ankle with just the strength in your arms, not even getting hips and core into it, will legit ruin someone's ability to walk properly for a long time.

You drat right

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I remember when we did the Figure Four Leglock at school (yeah yeah, we were dumb kids - it was awesome) it was pretty much the only move that really hurt - especially if somebody really locked it in.

Ever been put in the sharpshooter? If you put it on right, you can press their shin into their calf and it's pretty painful. Also, the Walls of Jericho (the way he used to do it where he puts the pressure on your neck) is pretty painful too. Granted neither of these could ever be pulled off in an MMA fight unless your opponent has a white belt and down's syndrome, but they actually do hurt.

Also, Angle's Ankle lock is ridiculously easy to get out of in real life the way he applies it. This is the proper way to do it: (Angle does a variation of this sometimes, where he'll use his ankle lock variation and wrap both legs around his opponent's one leg, or at least he used to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dl9u5XsaFU

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Supreme Allah posted:

I just thought they theoretically get a lot more leverage because their entire body weight is hanging off the crossed-over shin, or whatever part of the leg a figure four hurts.

I want to see someone bring back Gotch's toe lock.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

The classic sleeper hold also makes sense and is far more dangerous if actually applied as it can straight up loving kill you as a blood choke. Plus it can be an awesome spot if done well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Jericho busted out the ringpost figure 4 at WMX8.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

MrJacobs posted:

The classic sleeper hold also makes sense and is far more dangerous if actually applied as it can straight up loving kill you as a blood choke. Plus it can be an awesome spot if done well.

Didn't some kid accidently kill an older kid recently by applying the sleeper for real? I thought I remembered hearing that.

As for real moves hurting, my brother and I would constantly apply the Boston Crab to each other back in the day and that poo poo loving hurts.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Boston Crab hurts like hell. Same with the old Liontamer, if you can get the knee on the back of the head.

The Regal Stretch hurts like gently caress too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gar posted:

Supreme Allah posted:

Yeah, you're just hanging your weight off the guy's straight leg. I don't get how it's supposed to hurt at all.

Aubergine Mage posted:

I want to see someone bring back Gotch's toe lock.
You do realize Angle's ankle lock is a toehold, right?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Didn't some kid accidently kill an older kid recently by applying the sleeper for real? I thought I remembered hearing that.

As for real moves hurting, my brother and I would constantly apply the Boston Crab to each other back in the day and that poo poo loving hurts.
I've heard rumours of people dying from sleepers because their arteries didn't expand when the pressure was released, but I think it's bullshit. A real sleeper would be an anticlimactic finish because once it's locked in, they're out in a few seconds.

VogeGandire posted:

The Regal Stretch hurts like gently caress too.
Ironically, it's actually a pinning move in wrestling, with a different leg trap.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, you're just hanging your weight off the guy's straight leg. I don't get how it's supposed to hurt at all.

Because ringpost. Because foreign object. Because wrestling.

:patriot: