Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

stimpy posted:

yeah, a lot of the free stuff is already on Netflix. The main attraction for Amazon is that you can rent something and watch it for a few bucks if you really want to. Otherwise, we almost exclusively just watch Netflix.

I think that's the direction I'm going to go with it after the trial runs out. I planned on keeping it, but I just don't see it being worth the money, especially since my shipping is usually free anyway because my purchases are over $50.

I have an Apple TV in the living room, so I typically use itunes if I want to "rent" a new movie, but without that option on the Roku I purchased for my bedroom, I can use Amazon on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

stimpy posted:

yeah, a lot of the free stuff is already on Netflix. The main attraction for Amazon is that you can rent something and watch it for a few bucks if you really want to. Otherwise, we almost exclusively just watch Netflix.

Wait. So you pay for Amazon Prime and that gives you the right to pay to watch movies?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah well if you ever wanted to watch the 2nd DTV sequel to the Urban Legend horror franchise Amazon has it and Netflix doesn't.

Edit: You don't have to pay for Prime to be able to rent movies from Amazon. Prime has some movies for free, but there is a much wider selection that anybody can rent.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 8, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

iv46vi posted:

Beyond the black rainbow a beautiful, stylish sci-fi-ish horror meditation. I'm thoroughly confused about what happens in 1966 and would appreciate it if anyone can clue me in.

Barry goes Beyond The Black Rainbow.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Amazon always has a handful of movies Netflix doesn't, it's just never enough to justify the cost of Prime by itself. But free two day shipping is pretty useful.

One thing I don't think I've ever seen mentioned in this thread is Crackle. I had completely ignored it because I thought it was some junk streaming service that shows DTV garbage. And it does have a lot of that, but I was surprised to see it also streaming stuff I haven't seen elsewhere like District 9, Gattaca and even a handful of Seinfeld episodes. There are commercial breaks and the stream is only 480p, but it's apparently all free and uncut. It's something to keep an eye on for stuff you've been curious about but aren't concerned with blu-ray quality.

If nothing else, it seems like a good source of TV to turn on in the background. They've got half a dozen Godzilla movies, for God's sake.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

Volume posted:

Wait. So you pay for Amazon Prime and that gives you the right to pay to watch movies?

no no, you pay for Prime and you get a big swath of free movies. I was just saying that the free movies included with Prime have a lot of crossover with what's on Netflix. The difference being that with Amazon, if there's something you want to watch that isn't available on Netflix or free on Prime, you can pay a few bucks and see it on Amazon whereas on Netflix that's not an option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AP has a huge selection of reality tv if you're into that poo poo.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

The OSS 117 movies are basically what Austin Powers would be if they were funny and smart.

The OSS 117 movies have so many amazing moments.

"The truth of the matter was, they just cam 'russian' at me!"

Plus Jean is just is kinda a brilliant comic actor.

i'm gonna slap an 'H' on this real quick...

tliil
Jan 13, 2013
Buy Amazon Prime for the free shipping, their selection of stuff to watch isn't that much different than Netflix... although the Amazon service that's built in to my TV has super easy searching and Netflix doesn't, so there's that.

Amazon is great for watching new episodes of stuff, though. But having Prime doesn't affect that at all.

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but General Orders No. 9 is now on instant. Crossposting my reply from the Obscure and Unknown Movies thread in PYF. I already owe CineD my deconstruction of Dredd, but I'd love to write more about this piece and hope to do so in the near future.

tehspiekguy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZRrhz1vMkY

General Orders No. 9

An interesting take on a documentary. The film primarily is an audio-visual interpretation of the interaction of men and society on nature and the world, primarily focused on Georgia after the Civil War. If you're familiar with Koyaanisqatsi, Baraka, and Samsara, this is very similar. The difference lies in its presentation; while it has a narrator unlike the other films mentioned, the narrator fails (with a few blatant exceptions) to spell out the meaning and purpose of the haunting, captivating photography but provides cryptic clues to its significance. It gets a bit strange at points but ultimately comes into its own by the finale, although sometimes making you wish you had the knowledge and insight 20 minutes ago that the film provides to you at a later time. Ultimately, it's a beautiful and devastating mess that begs repeat viewings. It's available on Netflix instant.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Short Penguin posted:

The OSS 117 movies have so many amazing moments.

"The truth of the matter was, they just cam 'russian' at me!"

Plus Jean is just is kinda a brilliant comic actor.

Both of those movies are awesome and I wish they'd make a third. I just wish I got more of the jokes about France.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Watched The Raven last night, and holy crap was John Cusack bad for this role.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Started watching Dreams of a Life last night but got bored by the repetitive nature of the interviews, and the pretty bad re-enactments.

A very sad story that could have been told much better in the hands of a more talented documentarian.

Also no CC which is important because I have the TV volume low at night, and the accents are harder to decipher when it's too quiet.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Watched The Raven last night, and holy crap was John Cusack bad for this role.

I have no idea what they were trying with this movie. Sherlock Holmes? New franchise? He keeps switching gears from overacting rear end to detective dum dum. And that Ending yeesh.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Junkie Disease posted:

I have no idea what they were trying with this movie. Sherlock Holmes? New franchise? He keeps switching gears from overacting rear end to detective dum dum. And that Ending yeesh.

Yeah I didn't know either. I was just wildly distracted by Cusack in every scene. For the ending I figured they were going to make the killer or his fiance the original poe toaster, but what the gently caress was that Jules Verne thing and how did the detective figure out where he was going based on his last name? Is that what the ships records scene was building towards? How did the killer get into his hideout under the printer? How did she not hear anything while down there? How did the killer jump off a 2 story building, knife that officer on the way down, then just leisurely stroll away on his horse?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm hoping Jules Vern Terminator reveal in R2!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Can someone with a film degree explain the mall cop genre of the late 00's?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Big Guy, Big Dreams, Big Heart, Tiny Head

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I don't have a film degree per se, but I'd just say that Kevin James/the Happy Madison people just decided one day that fat mall cops were funny - especially now that the Segway is standard issue and make them look even funnier - and the rest have just fallen in line. They're the new low-blow target of people who might easily abuse their power or overinflate their importance, as they wear a uniform but aren't real cops.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Post-modern synthesis of cop comedy and the 90s mall movie, riffing on the previously-held anti-establishment notions of a near-dead capitalist cultural movement, exploiting the ridicule and revilement towards the main character's pseudo-authoritarian status as a source of comedy and pathos. Paul Blart is to the cop movie as Yojimbo is to the samurai. What don't you get? Ugh. Anything else you need spoon-fed to you?

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

Trollhunter is a good fantasy-ish flick: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/171149

Giorgio Moroder's version of Metropolis is a great silent sci-fi flick with 80's soundtrack: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/173315

They Live is a cult classic John Carpenter flick: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/165722

Videodrome is classic Cronenburg: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/170391

The Fly (1986) is another great (gory) Cronenburg flick: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/168346

Timecrimes is a cool and creepy time travel thriller from Spain that was popular here last month: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/175970

A Boy And His Dog is an absolutely bizarre apocalyptic future flick from the 70s: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/168447

Yeah it does look like pretty slim pickings for sci fi though--at least not much like Blade Runner. There are some more popular flicks like Contact, Terminator, Clockwork Orange, Highlander, and Pi. I might watch Contact again now that I notice it's back on Netflix--great classic sci fi flick.

A boy and his dog is really really bizarre. But good too, in some weird way.

especially when they try and harvest his sperm

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

MrGreenShirt posted:

Nice, Lo and The Crying Game are back on instant. If you haven't seen either of these you're doing yourself a disservice!

Lo is the story of a boy who summons a demon to help him find his girlfriend who's trapped in hell. It is my all time favorite ultra-minimalist quasi-musical horror drama comedy. You'll love it!

The Crying Game, on the other hand, is a movie I can't really talk about except to say it's an unconventional love story and has one of the most famous twists in cinema history. Don't spoil it for yourself, go in blind!

I think everyone knows the ending to the crying game though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Both of those movies are awesome and I wish they'd make a third. I just wish I got more of the jokes about France.

They helped me out when I was waiting for next season of Archer to start since has similar absurdist and satirical elements.

And chickens being used a projectile weapons for a absurd boss fight.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Short Penguin posted:

I've never heard of the movie nor do I know what the twist is. I think I'll go spoil the twist for myself then watch the movie in a couple years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Twist aside, The Crying Game is a phenomenal movie.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Short Penguin posted:

The biggest surprise for me was finding that the "ending twist" actually happens like half-way through the movie.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Short Penguin posted:

Everyone knew the twist in, say, 1994, when the movie had been talked about enough they could turn it into a reference in a Naked Gun movie. In the subsequent 19 years it hasn't exactly remained in the public consciousness.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Short Penguin posted:

Not Hank Kingsley.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Twist aside, The Crying Game is a phenomenal movie.

Yeah, don't deprive yourself seeing this if you "know the twist". I did, had little interest in seeing it as a result, was made to see it by my fiancee and wound up loving it, it's a really great movie whose quality doesn't rest on a big surprise. Being surprised by a twist is not in any way essential to enjoyment of The Crying Game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CPFortest posted:

Not Hank Kingsley.

Hey now!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

priznat posted:

Hey now!

Even though I know that Hank Kingsley and George Bluth are played by the same actor, it's still hard to recognize that fact. Tambor just disappears into both rolls, and they're such different characters that look so vastly different, it's seems like they almost couldn't be played by the same actor.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Agree, it's a testament to Tambor. On AD he made both Oscar and George totally unique too. "Oh Oscar when are you going to learn, there is no such thing as FREE SHRIMP!!"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

To be fair, Observe and Report was awesome and super dark.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

To be fair, Observe and Report was awesome and super dark.

I remember catching O&R shortly after its release; went in expecting another Rogan comedy vehicle and came out pretty wide-eyed and miffed about the whole thing. It was quite the movie and it grew on me the more I thought about it. Repeated viewings only confirm that.

Another reminder that Dead Man's Shoes is still up on instant. I've probably pimped this movie earlier in the thread, but it doesn't come off of my instant queue while Netflix still offers it. A very, very good British "revenge" film with a neat twist. Great acting by Paddy Considine and Toby Kebbell.

Speaking of Kebbell, I got hooked on him after his turn in RocknRolla; leading me to search out his other stuff. In addition to the movie above, I watched The Veteran, which is also up on Instant. Hard to say how I felt about the movie; I love Kebbell, but there were some serious issues with the plot. Suspension of disbelief is necessary for the final sequence, which ends rather astonishingly, leaving the viewer hanging & wondering just what in the hell happened and what the director was implying. Whatever the case, I hope to see Kebbell in more serious works. The guy just touches my buttons for whatever reasons.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Another reminder that Dead Man's Shoes is still up on instant. I've probably pimped this movie earlier in the thread, but it doesn't come off of my instant queue while Netflix still offers it. A very, very good British "revenge" film with a neat twist. Great acting by Paddy Considine and Toby Kebbell.

I've been meaning to check this out, thanks for the reminder. I got obsessed with This is England (another fantastic film that's available on Netflix) and the follow-up television series a few months back, but I forgot to watch Dead Man's Shoes after not enjoying the other two SHane Meadows movies that I watched (A Room For Romeo Brass and Le Donk and Scor-Zay-Zee).

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...
Coriolanus is up! Ralph Fiennes stars and directs, accompanied by Gerard Butler, Brian Cox, and Vanessa Redgrave. It is a modern adaptation of Shakespeare's tragedy of the same name, keeping the original language. Fiennes gives a solid performance as the megalomaniacal Caius Marcius, the famed Roman general who is spurned by the country he gave so much to protect. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and you should give it a whirl.

Collects Welfare fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 10, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just noticed that Netflix has Wild In the Streets up for streaming. It's the 1968 movie about how baby boomers would destroy the US. A diabolical hippie band plots to give the vote to teenagers and they manipulate things so that there's no age restrictions on office holders. That leads to the youth taking over the country.

It's a terrible, ridiculous film but it's also pretty infamous for being so insane.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The seventh season of Futurama went up recently. I wasn't a big fan of season 6, but the first episode of season 7 wasn't bad. I guess overall, this can serve as a reminder that Futurama is on Instant Watch, and you should definitely check out at least the first four seasons.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Shaolin Soccer is up on Instant. It's just a fun if predictable sports comedy about a team of underdogs. What's makes this movie standout is that it nails the Jackie Chan style of blending martial arts and physical humor but also seems to takes inspiration from Space Jam and Dragon Ball Z with its use of CGI. Unfortunately Netflix only has the dubbed version up but it features Stephen Chow dubbing over his own character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

bartok posted:

Shaolin Soccer is up on Instant. It's just a fun if predictable sports comedy about a team of underdogs. What's makes this movie standout is that it nails the Jackie Chan style of blending martial arts and physical humor but also seems to takes inspiration from Space Jam and Dragon Ball Z with its use of CGI. Unfortunately Netflix only has the dubbed version up but it features Stephen Chow dubbing over his own character.

Awesome!! I love his Kung Fu Hustle but never saw Shaolin Soccer.

Also about Futurama S7, the last episode has one of my favourite Futurama lines. nobody ever goes walrus! *sob*

And finally I just blasted through all the House of Cards episodes and I want moooooore. sad about Peter, though

• Locked thread