Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

ElwoodCuse posted:

At least when all the Edwards and Bellas and whoever grow up they have some plausible deniability. But the last name too? Ugh

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/living/parenting-top-baby-names-2013

I actually find it weird Edward isn't on the list. Of course, Jacob is, so there you go.

But yeah, Isbella is #1 for girls.

And the past few years:

What do these poor kids do when their friends ask them what/who they're named after? I hope every one of them eventually reads those lovely books, realized how terrible they are, and starts going by their middle name, or just some name they make up.

Christ, I hate my generation. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Barrett is scaring me. He's like a goddamn serial killer or something.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
"Ethan" "Logan" "Mason" "Jayden"

Those are all terrible names. The worst name though is Cody (sorry to anybody on here).

Most of the girls names are alright thought. Can't believe Sophia is number one though.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Jacob's been number one since like 1999 or so. Isabella was also popular before the Twilight series although I guess it hasn't hurt it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jacob's always been popular. It's biblical in origin.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

loving Tori Amos is a wild card! UGH

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

escape artist posted:

"Ethan" "Logan" "Mason" "Jayden"

Those are all terrible names. The worst name though is Cody (sorry to anybody on here).

Most of the girls names are alright thought. Can't believe Sophia is number one though.

Ahem... my son happens to have one of the four above "terrible" names.

And in tonight's show the girl in the middle was pissed during final jeopardy. When the dude on the right got the question right you could see her roll her eyes and look pissed.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm mostly pissed off that Alex didnt address the fact she was named Tori Amos. I dont care if there's no good story about it, its a goddamn loving elephant.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Little Mac posted:

loving Tori Amos is a wild card! UGH

Ozma please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

jscolon2.0 posted:

Barrett is scaring me. He's like a goddamn serial killer or something.

Nonsense. My roommate and I had already concluded that he's actually Clark Kent.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

jojoinnit posted:

I'm mostly pissed off that Alex didnt address the fact she was named Tori Amos. I dont care if there's no good story about it, its a goddamn loving elephant.

Yeah, I was like "how is that not the story you tell?"

Frot Lesnar posted:

Ozma please pick up the white courtesy phone.

You're a white courtesy phone.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Barrett is a confirmed goon. Just had arm spasms over not being able to answer a question about Portal/Valve.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Handsome Ralph posted:

Barrett is a confirmed goon. Just had arm spasms over not being able to answer a question about Portal/Valve.

All three of them were really intense with their buzzers. I guess if quiz bowl is all you have going for you :/

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Declan MacManus posted:

All three of them were really intense with their buzzers. I guess if quiz bowl is all you have going for you :/

We had the two separated bars for quiz bowl. Our preferred method of ringing in was for two people to touch alternate bars and then one to slap the back of the other person's head to complete the electrical circuit.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I legitimately think Barrett might have beaten me tonight.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
So this happened

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

So this happened

oh so THIS is why I don't watch the teen tournament

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I was hoping President Barrett would lose so I wouldn't have to hear him shouting anymore.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I was hoping President Barrett would lose so I wouldn't have to hear him shouting anymore.

It makes me feel bad that I want to punch a teen tournament contestant in the face that much. But I do.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Tori Amos you ruin every category you begin.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
Well that was the best and/or worst possible way that game could have ended.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Ahahahaha, the most awkward ending ever. "WELP."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The 47 Reagans posted:

Well that was the best possible way that game could have ended.

I have to say I really, truly enjoyed that. I was expecting Alex to bust out a tiebreaker, not just say "well none of these losers are moving on then"

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

What an awkward episode. First, Tori Amos showed up and her conversation topic had nothing to do with her name (assuming she's 16, she would have been born in 1996 or 1997, when Tori Amos was quite well known), which annoyed me. Then, you had the terrible bidding and no winner.

Crazy.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Holy loving poo poo that ending

Jeopocalypse

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Dang, what happened? I watched regular and double Jeopardy on the treadmill at the gym and left right before Final.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
That was the best episode of Jeopardy I have ever seen. I can't believe that bidding at the end, what the hell. Nobody won, nobody from that game will advance like it never happened.

The Human Cow posted:

Dang, what happened? I watched regular and double Jeopardy on the treadmill at the gym and left right before Final.

Everybody bet max, got the answer wrong. Because of the rules, if there is a tie the loser with the most money from all rounds get to advance with the winners; hence nobody from that round will advance since they all had $0. It was glorious.

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 8, 2013

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The Human Cow posted:

Everyone bid everything on Final Jeopardy and got the answer wrong. Tournament rules say that instead of playing another game, like in normal three-way ties, instead everyone from this game is eliminated and the third slot in the finals will be filled by the highest-scoring player from the other two semi-final games.

So yeah, it's like this game never happened. It was awesome.

e: beaten like all three of those kids

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

The Human Cow posted:

In addition to what everyone else said, I didn't think the question was that hard ("name a capital city with peace walls between its Protestant and Catholic neighborhoods", they all went for Dublin instead of Belfast.)

How did the non-winners from yesterday bet? Did they both end up with nothing or close to nothing as well? The Jeopardy Archive site doesn't have that game yet.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just watched it and I can't believe these idiots. That was amazing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

escape artist posted:

Especially the kid in first. He only needed to bet like 8k!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

escape artist posted:

I was pretty positive it was Dublin (yes I know in hindsight that I am an idiot) but who the hell doesn't save at least $1? Especially the guy who was pretty decently in the lead; he could've bet conservatively to have twice the closest amount of money + $1 and still been fine. The best part of the episode was probably Trebek not being remotely flustered by the tie, but just turning straight to the camera: ":jerkbag:these guys:jerkbag:"

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

FadingChord posted:

I was pretty positive it was Dublin (yes I know in hindsight that I am an idiot) but who the hell doesn't save at least $1? Especially the guy who was pretty decently in the lead; he could've bet conservatively to have twice the closest amount of money + $1 and still been fine. The best part of the episode was probably Trebek not being remotely flustered by the tie, but just turning straight to the camera: ":jerkbag:these guys:jerkbag:"

Because it's a tourney, they don't even get to pocket this money anyway, so the leader has zero incentive to bet the maximum.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Honestly, I thought Dublin too. But I didn't know the capital of Northern Ireland so I wouldn't have done well either. But I would have only bet 8k. These kids have no idea how wagering on the show works.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

FadingChord posted:

The best part of the episode was probably Trebek not being remotely flustered by the tie, but just turning straight to the camera: ":jerkbag:these guys:jerkbag:"
I didn't quite understand what was happening other than the fact that Trebek was really excited that apparently each of the contestants before him just crashed and burned.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
So what happens if there's a two-way tie in a tournament?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Holy cow, that's incredible. Wish I had seen it.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I thought you guys were being a little mean ripping on these kids for not knowing how to wager but then this last game happened.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Not sure how quick on the trigger Sony is but here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y3tb-DVow0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I'm not normally amazed by how ignorant people are, especially young people, especially young Americans in regards to anything that happens outside our borders.

But seriously, how do you get on Jeopardy! and not one of them knows about Northern Ireland? Or how to properly bet during final Jeopardy?

Awesome, America. The future is lookin' bright.