Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Messin around before the ceremony and now named the medium? Smitty, you have responsibilities now!

Good fake, tea-san.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

New theory. Jones recommended for Eglamore's successor, and it wasn't Parley, but Annie. Fireball beats sword.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

What? Wait... what? Wait...

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Feb 8, 2013

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
:toot: Totally not awkward at all!

Assuming that this isn't a giant psych-out and that one of the recurring themes seems to be the transition of court from one generation to the next it makes for an interesting parallel with Smitty as the Medium and Parley being a very likely shoe-in to eventually take Eglamore's position as Protector.

We all know that worked out perfectly fine after all. :smith:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Guys, it's obvious what happened here.

The Headmaster tried to name Annie the successor, but Smitty's probability-loving powers made the Headmaster name him by mistake.

e: VVV I meant that as a joke VVV

Arthur Crackpot fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 8, 2013

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Guys, it's obvious what happened here.

The Headmaster tried to name Annie the successor, but Smitty's probability-loving powers made the Headmaster name him by mistake.

His powers usually help his goals, though, and I doubt that he wants the job. A more likely explanation is that big guy told the headmaster about Ysengrin attacking Annie, or just pleaded to not name her the medium.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It looks to me in the last two panels that the candidates are frozen in place. Reynardine is about to have a very interesting conversation with Coyote, I think...

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Goddratit. This is the last time I don't post theories for hard proof because I totally loving called this.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I think that the headmaster chose Smitty to be the next medium, but his probability powers made all three of them hear it wrong to avoid things from becoming awkward when someone that they hadn't prepared to hear was chosen was chosen.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I just figured that they all expected Annie to be the next medium that they didn't even listen to the headmaster. Boy, will their faces be red on Monday.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC Smitty doesn't have "probability" powers, he has the natural ability to subconsciously create order where there wasn't any before. Which has pretty much absolutely nothing to do with someone picking him for an important job over someone else. That's more like... ta'veren or something.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This is the :psyduck:est page I've read in GC.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

SHISHKABOB posted:

IIRC Smitty doesn't have "probability" powers, he has the natural ability to subconsciously create order where there wasn't any before. Which has pretty much absolutely nothing to do with someone picking him for an important job over someone else. That's more like... ta'veren or something.

Unless there was a disagreement on who to pick for Medium, in which case his powers might create a tiebreaker that didn't upset anyone.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Man, that dude has a really thick accent, he really butchered the standard pronuciaton of Annie's full name.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Congrats, Annie! I'm sure glad this over now.

Infinite Walrus
Nov 6, 2012

by T. Finninho
I started reading GC because of this thread, and now when I'm all confused about events and yearning for help I come here to find... more chaos.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. (While I gnaw my own hand off. What's going onnnnnn?!)

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Dodgeball posted:

What? Wait... what? Wait...

I'm taking this. It's great.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Infinite Walrus posted:

I started reading GC because of this thread, and now when I'm all confused about events and yearning for help I come here to find... more chaos.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see. (While I gnaw my own hand off. What's going onnnnnn?!)

Basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tdtNISDZwA but with everyone

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I need to stop doubting this comic's ability completely surpass my mundane expectations, even when there isn't something epic going on. This page is just masterful. Everything about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horns.aiff just played loudly enough to shake the ceiling.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
At first I thought that Annie and the rest hadn't been paying any actual attention to what the guy was saying, but I guess Coyote pulling some sort of trick isn't completely impossible. Either way Monday can't come soon enough.

Flitter Reid
Aug 16, 2006

Ow.
That was a confusing one to read first thing in the morning. And I'm still confused.

I really thought it was going to be Parley!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm so confused :psyduck:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Flitter Reid posted:

That was a confusing one to read first thing in the morning. And I'm still confused.

I really thought it was going to be Parley!

I also just read this as soon as I got up.

I was wrong, the general reaction is not :aaa: but rather :raise:

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Had to read the first few frames like 3 times, then decided to read the whole page and realized Rey was as confused as me and I figured out what was happening.

This is probably all a ploy by the headmaster to try and shock Jones (it won't work sadly).

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I've only just noticed, but why do all 3 mediums in training have different formal court clothes. Annie has a shirt and blazer with a long skirt, Parley has a blouse and blazer with business pants, and Smitty has a similar shirt and blazer, but wearing dark suit pants.

Does no one at the court own a matching set of formal clothes.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Conot posted:

I've only just noticed, but why do all 3 mediums in training have different formal court clothes. Annie has a shirt and blazer with a long skirt, Parley has a blouse and blazer with business pants, and Smitty has a similar shirt and blazer, but wearing dark suit pants.

Maybe different years have different uniforms?

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

I love how I genuinely thought the announcement could go either way and be fine and then the way it does end up going is just done so well. Noone actually listening to what the headmaster was saying.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Just seems like a case of everyone expecting the medium to be Annie, so they just assumed it was her name read out and acted accordingly. No Coyote tricks or anything. While Reynard was the only one who actually listened properly and gave us those awesome last two panels.

I was kind of hoping it would be Smitty (with or without Parley), or Zimmy out of nowhere. Now that he's actually been announced though, I have no idea what to think or where it will go from here. I just hope Smitty gets some good screentime with Coyote, his order and chilled attitude vs Coyote chaos could be fun. :allears:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Conot posted:

Parley doesn't wear a uniform anymore, although I guess she wasn't willing to deviate from the Court colors for a formal event. The last time this sort of thing happened Annie and Parley were wearing the same thing

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, I think Smitty and Annie are wearing the school uniform, whereas Parley, as a sixth former who doesn't wear school uniforms anymore, is wearing adult Court formalwear, same as the other adults there. (Jones and Anja are wearing the same thing)

The little details in this comic are nuts.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think it's pretty adorable how so many of you guys are so baffled by a simple gag that you've begun to theorize how various reality-altering magical powers might have conspired to produce a comical misunderstanding.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Hah!

Why is everyone assuming Coyote tricks? The kids clearly just misheard the Headmaster thanks to their own prejudices regarding the Medium position. Those last two panels aren't them frozen in place, you can clearly see Smitty holding a beat, everything freezing for just a moment in that supremely awkward moment where everyone's ears catch up to their brains.

With amazing Reynardine faces.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you look closely, you can see extremely minute changes in all three of their faces. It's so subtle that I'm probably finding something that isn't really there but... I think we're seeing them at the very instant all four of them realize "wait, what".

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
That's my interpretation too. The last panel is where you'd hear a record scratch sound-effect.

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgW-2orQQg

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 8, 2013

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
I'm not so sure a guy with the power to make everything super boring is going to be a great match for a trickster god. :v:

Oh who am I kidding this is going to be hilarious.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

If you look closely, you can see extremely minute changes in all three of their faces. It's so subtle that I'm probably finding something that isn't really there but... I think we're seeing them at the very instant all four of them realize "wait, what".

If you do the magic-eye thing with the last two panels, it's pretty neat.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

I'm not so sure a guy with the power to make everything super boring is going to be a great match for a trickster god. :v:

There will be many Coyote tantrums, and they will be increasingly hilarious - and hazardous.

I had to do a double-take on this today, but my god once I realized what happened, oh how I laughed. This is so awkward.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

He's the ultimate straight man to the ultimate comedian! It practically writes itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ugh, I knew the next medium would be Annie, she's such a mary sue. Next thing you know she'll kiss a boy:mad: