Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

After looking into it, I guess there are only around 150 in existence . Then while googling trying to find another copy to potentially grab I found this post in this thread:

WASDF posted:

I'm pretty tempted to buy this, but it's loving $50 if I order it to the US. I dunno if I should... I do really love it.

Thoughts?
It shot from $23 in Dec 2011 to $50 in Mar 2012, and if I understand this tradelist correctly, he wants $300 for his copy of it. Phew I found it for as low as $30 here

:(

edit: the good news is that I found a shirt with the cover on it and I've already ordered it:
http://www.shelsmusic.com/label/tshirts.php

edit 2: they have a pink 2xLP Sea of the Dying Dhow for sale too! /buys

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

CPL593H posted:

What kind of reissues are we talking about here? Because if you're in the US and looking for classic rock stuff, a lot of that poo poo is widely available in stores or at the very least US based websites. It's probably best to avoid international shipping.
Mostly goofy '80s rock, I first started noticing them when I was looking at GNR's 'Live Like a Suicide' EP and went from there.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Tusen Takk posted:

After looking into it, I guess there are only around 150 in existence . Then while googling trying to find another copy to potentially grab I found this post in this thread:

It shot from $23 in Dec 2011 to $50 in Mar 2012, and if I understand this tradelist correctly, he wants $300 for his copy of it.

:(

edit: the good news is that I found a shirt with the cover on it and I've already ordered it:
http://www.shelsmusic.com/label/tshirts.php

edit 2: they have a pink 2xLP Sea of the Dying Dhow for sale too! /buys

I think the reason it rose in price was because they needed extra money to do the pressing of Sea Of The Dying Dhow. Also, there are 300 copies of Plains of the Purple Buffalo, which is what that guy's tradelist is talking about.

The Sea Of The Dying Dhow set is a really nice pressing, I made a scan of it a while ago:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

david puddy posted:

I think the reason it rose in price was because they needed extra money to do the pressing of Sea Of The Dying Dhow. Also, there are 300 copies of Plains of the Purple Buffalo, which is what that guy's tradelist is talking about.

The Sea Of The Dying Dhow set is a really nice pressing, I made a scan of it a while ago:

Very nice! I can already see it's a good buy :)

also I found this so I guess it's reasonably priced still, though hard to find: http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=Plains+Of+The+Purple+Buffalo&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=&x=0&y=0

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 6, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

Very nice! I can already see it's a good buy :)

also I found this so if anyone really wants one, it's reasonably priced: http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=Plains+Of+The+Purple+Buffalo&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=&x=0&y=0

Popsike is a catalogue of completed listings. Those were on ebay, sold and have been archived. There's been a couple sold on Discogs too, one for $50, one for $97.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

david puddy posted:

Popsike is a catalogue of completed listings. Those were on ebay, sold and have been archived. There's been a couple sold on Discogs too, one for $50, one for $97.

I noticed that and had just finished editing my post :eng99:. At least they're not as expensive as those clear press Mastodon albums :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

iostream.h posted:

Mostly goofy '80s rock, I first started noticing them when I was looking at GNR's 'Live Like a Suicide' EP and went from there.

Yeah, you're probably better off buying that stuff domestically.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Where do you guys go for your vinyl release news?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just follow my favourite artists / labels on Facebook, usually get all I want to hear from there. I am also signed up to the Burning Shed newsletter for all my prog needs

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Where do you guys go for your vinyl release news?

I like SlyVinyl to keep me up to date on special editions of bands I'm not currently following personally.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Cool, thanks.

ALSO, do you guys have any recommendations for good backpacks to carry vinyl in? I'm just looking for something I can fit a 15" laptop in that doesn't look like a child's bag.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Cool, thanks.

ALSO, do you guys have any recommendations for good backpacks to carry vinyl in? I'm just looking for something I can fit a 15" laptop in that doesn't look like a child's bag.

Get a messenger bag.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I need to make a transparent platter that I can shine awesome lights through to project some of the sick transparent vinyl I have. Would look awesome as gently caress. Like a reverse UFO

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

wow, so my problem of having two broken record players fixed itself today when my bud I haven't seen in like three years gave me a turntable he got for free.

re:pink vinyl. The only one i have is Acid Mother Temple - Lord of the Underground: Vishnu and the Magic Exlixer, which is probably my second favorite AMT(alone) release. I have a picture of it somewhere but I don't know where.
Well, I also have this
well not my pic and mine is more yellow instead of that weird jade sort of color. But that album is dope. Side A is some 10 month yr old girl side B is eYe from boredoms/hanatarash/everything

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Cool, thanks.

I've got a UDG record bag that I've used for my laptop for years now, it's still holding up real well.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Cool, thanks.

I've used an Addict Recordpak for over 10 years now. It still looks great and not very worn at all. I guess this is the equivalent these days?

http://www.addict.co.uk/item/Item_ADDICTRECORDPAKMKV_1407_0_784_1.html

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Desaparecidos fans: They're putting out another 7" single. Two tracks, goes on sale tomorrow. Haven't listened to the tracks yet, but if it's anything like MariKKKopa/Backsell, it's gonna be sweeeeet.

I'm so hoping they put out another LP.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 6, 2013

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I hope that maybe it doesn't take six months to release this time :allears:

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Sauska posted:

well not my pic and mine is more yellow instead of that weird jade sort of color. But that album is dope. Side A is some 10 month yr old girl side B is eYe from boredoms/hanatarash/everything

So cool.

Also - Have anyone heard any additional news on the talk of Discordance Axis reissues?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
If we're sharing pretty vinyl, I found this one by House of Bread rather striking.

Flat.

Illuminated.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

shmee posted:

That'd be great, thanks. I know it will be a pain in the arse to ship it all over here, and there will be some damage, but I have a bunch of things which are difficult to find like the Stars of the Lid stuff, the self-titled Labradford album with the cut out cover, stuff like that.

Yo! Mailers arrived today. These 12" ones are OK and arrived as advertised. The 7" ones arrived without stiffeners which is a bit of a pain because the mailer itself is pretty flimsy. Luckily I have a big roll of bubble wrap and some packing tape on the way! If you're moving a large portion of your collection, or all of it, I'd look for some better options. I know there are some places on the web that offer pizza box style things that look sturdy and can hold multiple LPs. Hope this helps.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

With the arrival of The Dark Knight's OST my Nolan-Zimmer collection is complete :woop:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enjoy your hours of "BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMM".

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Enjoy your hours of "BWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMM".

don't worry I will

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

nomapple posted:

Yo! Mailers arrived today. These 12" ones are OK and arrived as advertised. The 7" ones arrived without stiffeners which is a bit of a pain because the mailer itself is pretty flimsy. Luckily I have a big roll of bubble wrap and some packing tape on the way! If you're moving a large portion of your collection, or all of it, I'd look for some better options. I know there are some places on the web that offer pizza box style things that look sturdy and can hold multiple LPs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, but yeah I'm shipping from one side of the world to the other so will try and find something tougher. I want something like the boxes Kranky use.. which seem to be these http://www.amazon.com/Record-Cardboard-Multi-Depth-Mailers-12BC01VDWH/dp/B001J595VK

Cheers for the update though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TDK is legit chill to listen to while reading, great album

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Get out your checkbooks (paypal)

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2013/01/23/rock-star-jack-white-teams-up-with-tiny-scottish-record-label/

edit: maybe it's old news, but new to me.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah the first ones are already available to buy: http://thirdmanstore.com/featured/document-reissue-volume-1-bundle

My friend got all 3 and I've only heard the Charley Patton one but its worth it if you like old blues music.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I wish there was a place we could buy replacement outer sleeves from, I just ripped my Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone cover and I'm OCD enough to want to buy a new copy now. :sigh:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Dr. Lenin posted:

I wish there was a place we could buy replacement outer sleeves from, I just ripped my Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone cover and I'm OCD enough to want to buy a new copy now. :sigh:

Try emailing Temporary Residence Limited and asking if they can help you out. The album is still in print and there will always be more sleeves than records, so it can't hurt to ask.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Long post ahoy. Recently got all of my parents' vinyl to add to my collection. Finally done cataloging it all (along with my own):

Rock
AC/DC, “Back in Black” (SD 16018)
AC/DC, “For Those About to Rock” (SD 11111)
The Beatles, “Help!” (MAS-2386) (N.C.)
Chuck Berry, “Chuck Berry’s Greatest Hits” (CH-1485)
The Byrds, “(Untitled)” (G 30127)
Joe Cocker, “I Can Stand a Little Rain” (SP 3633)
Cream, “Disraeli Gears” (SD 33-232)
Creedence Clearwater Revival, “Cosmo’s Factory” (Fantasy 8402)
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, “4 Way Street” (SD 2-902) (missing disc 2)
Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, “Déjà vu” (SD 7200) (N.C.)
The Doors, “The Doors” (EKS-74007)
Bob Dylan, “Dylan and The Dead” (C45056)
Bob Dylan, “Greatest Hits Vol. II” (KG 31120)
Elton John, “Goodbye Yellowbrick Road” (MCA2-10003)
Elton John, “Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy” (MCA 2142)
Janis Joplin, “Joplin, In Concert” (C2X 31160)
The Mamas & The Papas, “Deliver” (D 50014)
Pink Floyd, “Dark Side of the Moon” (
Elvis Presley, “G.I. Blues” (LPM-2256) (N.C.)
Savoy Brown, “Hellbound Train” (XPAS 71052)
Savoy Brown, “Looking In” (PAS 71042)
Simon & Garfunkel, “The Graduate Soundtrack” (OS 3180)
Del Shannon, “The Further Adventures of Charles Westover” (LST 7539) (N.S.)
James Taylor, “Sweet Baby James” (1843)
Three Dog Night, “Around The World With” (DSY 50138) (Disc 2 Only) (N.C.)
Various, “The Music People” (C3X 31280)
Various, “Jane Fonda’s Workout Record” (CX2 38054) (N.S.)
Yes, “The Yes Album” (SD 8283)

Jazz
Cannonball Adderley Quintet, “In Chicago” (MG 20449)
Cannonball Adderley Quintet, “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Live at ‘The Club’” (ST 2663)
Deodato, “Deodato 2” (CTI 6029)
Deodato, “Prelude” (CTI 8021)
Herbie Hancock, “Maiden Voyage” (BLP 4195)
Herbie Hancock, “Man-Child” (PC 33812)
Ray McKinley, “Echoes of Glenn Miller” (LPM-2519) (N.S.)
Wes Montgomery, “Tequila” (V-8653)
Wes Montgomery, “The Best Of” (V6-8714)
Jimmy Smith, “Got My Mojo Workin’” (V-8641)
V.S.O.P., ”The Quintet” (C2 34976)

Country/Folk/Beach
Gene Autry, “Country Music Hall of Fame Album” (CS 1035)
Jimmy Buffett, “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes” (AB 990)
Johnny Cash, “I Walk the Line” (CL 2190) (N.S.)
Johnny Cash, “Orange Blossom Special” (CL 2309) (N.S.)
Rita Coolidge, “The Lady’s Not For Sale” (SP 4370)
Rita Coolidge, “It’s Only Love” (SP-4531)
Mac Davis, “Baby Don’t Get Hooked On Me” (KC 31770)
Jonathan Edwards, “Jonathan Edwards” (SD 862)
Arlo Guthrie, “Hobo’s Lullabye” (MS 2060)
Emmylou Harris, “Elite Hotel” (MS 2236)
Waylon Jennings, “Greatest Hits” (AHL1 3378) (N.S.)
Waylon Jennings, “Dreaming my Dreams” (APL1-1062)
Waylon and Willie, “WWII” (AHL1-4455) (N.S.)
Kris Kristofferson, “Jesus was a Capricorn” (KZ 31909)
Willie Nelson, “Greatest Hits (And Some That Will Be)” (KC2 37542) (N.S.)
Willie Nelson, “Redheaded Stranger” (KC 33482)
Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, “Take it to the Limit” (FC 38562) (N.S.)
The Outlaws, “Wanted!” (APL1-1321)
John Prine, “Common Sense” (SD 18127)
John Prine, “Diamonds in the Rough” (SD 7240)
John Prine, “John Prine” (SD 8296)
John Prine, “Sweet Revenge” (SD 7274)
Kris & Rita, “Full Moon” (SP-4403)
Kirs & Rita, “Breakaway” (PZ 33278)
B.J. Thomas, “Reunion” (ABDP-858)
Various, “Ocean Drive” (OP 2520)

Funk/R&B/Soul
Nat King Cole, “Love is the Thing” (SW-824)
Nat King Cole, “The Touch of Your Lips” (W 1574) (N.S.)
Gladys Knight & The Pips, “I Feel A Song” (BDS 5612)
The Impressions, “16 Greatest Hits” (ABCS 727)
The Ink Spots, “Spotlight On” (DLP-154) (N.S.)
Barbara Mason, “Give Me Your Love” (BDS 5117)
The Meters, “The Meters” (JOS 4010)
The Rascals, “Peaceful World” (G 30462)
Diana Ross & The Supremes, “Greatest Hits” (2-663)
Billy Stewart, “Remembered” (LPS-1547)

Pop/Other
Bee Gees, “Spirits Have Flown” (RS-1-3041) (N.C.) (N.S.)
Bee Gees, “Best Of” (SD 33-292)
Captain & Tennille, “Love Will Keep Us Together” (SP-4552) (N.S.)
Perry Como, “Dreamer’s Holiday” (CAL 582) (N.S.)
Andy Williams, “Days of Wine and Roses” (CS 8815) (N.S.)
Andy Williams, “The Christmas Album” (CS 8887) (N.S.)
London Philharmonic Orchestra, “Star Wars/Space Odyssey” (SGA 1000) (N.S.)
Leonard Berstein, “West Side Story” (OL 5670)
Barbara Streisand, “Butterfly” (PC 33005)
Barbara Streisand, “Stoney End” (KC 30378)
Barbara Streisand, “Funny Girl Soundtrack” (BOS 3220)
Streisand & Kristofferson, “A Star is Born” (JS 34403)
Maurice Jarre, “Doctor Zhivago Soundtrack” (S1E-6ST)
The Lettermen, “The Hit Sounds Of” (T 2359)
The Lettermen, “Warm” (T 2633)
The Lettermen, “Look At Love” (T 2083)
“The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas” (N.S.)
Anna Sewell, “The Story of Black Beauty” (DQ 1338)
Rodgers & Hammerstein, “South Pacific Soundtrack” (OL 4180) (N.S.)
Alan Lerner, “Camelot Soundtrack” (B 1712)

NS = no sleeve. NC = no cover.

Now to clean...

I was pretty pumped when I saw Rubber Soul was in there, one of my favorite Beatles albums. However upon opening the cover (it's literally hanging on by a thread), "Help!" fell out. Cool, an earlier album... but no sleeve, no cover for it, and it's scratched all to hell.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Bigup on those Streisand finds. I've been looking for the Funny Girl OST since forever.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ras Het posted:

Bigup on those Streisand finds. I've been looking for the Funny Girl OST since forever.

The Jane Fonda's Workout Record is the diamond in the rough.

The Supremes album had these portraits intact:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 8, 2013

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Do you have any HD versions of those scans? Been looking for a good set of desktop backgrounds for my three monitors and those combine my love of vinyl and real soul music.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Have any of you other guys ever heard back from Soul Temple after not getting your Man With The Iron Fists LPs?

I ordered the loving $100 deluxe box and A) haven't gotten it, B) haven't gotten a single response to my dozen+ emails over the past 2 months since they "shipped" it.

It's way out of the PayPal Claim range, too, so I'm apparently hosed.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Scarf posted:

The Jane Fonda's Workout Record is the diamond in the rough.

The Supremes album had these portraits intact:

Ugh, why did you have to post this? Now I NEED that Diana print for my house.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I wish they Mayans had been right.

http://gizmodo.com/5982687/is-listening-to-mp3s-and-vinyls-better-than-listening-to-live-music

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

live music is for suckers, vinyls 4 life

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Check out this badass pressing of Mudhoney's new record available for preorder on https://www.subpop.com......

Sounds like the new Low record they are putting out will be colored vinyl for preorders as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I got Cobra Juicy on "vinyl" but I'm pretty sure this is is a Starburst, not a vinyl record. I'm never buying anything from The Blackmoths again.