Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I showed my sister some of the springpole pictures you guys have posted and she's thinking about having her husband build a nice sturdy one for Murphy. If this happens I will endeavor to get pictures of an Aussie getting a thing :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

SuperTwo posted:

You know the answer to this probem. Make. Feldman. Swole.

You can totally do this, I got Frankie swole-ish once, it's just hard because OH HI I CAN'T BREATHE.

quote:

I get it every so often. Not so much with Angus anymore because he's so stocky but he'd get a lot of comments when he wasn't really beefed. Eva gets it quite a lot but we don't go a ton of places that aren't full of fairly well educated dog people or family and friends. When I first started keeping Angus in shape so you could see ribs I got a lot of concern from my family. They'd never had a short haired dog or one that wasn't overweight so it took a lot of education and comparing them to human athletes but they finally got it. They still tease me though and make starving dog cracks that annoy the hell out of me.

Every time I present a dog opinion to my parents they cite Moses as Exhibit A that I know nothing about dogs/am a bad dog owner because I "never feed him" and he is so skinny. :iamafag:

My dogs are both skinny fat right now because I'm too busy to do anything with them and I'm so jelly of your swole dogs. Moses looks like poo poo right now. :saddowns:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You guys, how can so much loose fur come from one cat?! Sadie is shedding her coat due to the warm weather here in Texas. It is not even the same color as her black overcoat, instead the furminator is just raking out masses of whitish fluff and she just goes gaga over me doing it. She even let me briefly brush her belly.

Also swole Feldman has to happen now.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Okay okay I will totally get Feldman swole and have a BT who looks like he has a thyroid problem! Once we can figure out what's causing this limp! It seems more pronounced if he's not doing a lot, and gets better once he moves, so :iiam:

Superconsndar posted:

You can totally do this, I got Frankie swole-ish once, it's just hard because OH HI I CAN'T BREATHE.

Every time I present a dog opinion to my parents they cite Moses as Exhibit A that I know nothing about dogs/am a bad dog owner because I "never feed him" and he is so skinny. :iamafag:

My dogs are both skinny fat right now because I'm too busy to do anything with them and I'm so jelly of your swole dogs. Moses looks like poo poo right now. :saddowns:

He can actually breath okay for a BT, partially because he isn't so flat-faced I think. He can walk/run longer then I can :mad:

The funny thing is your idea of skinny fat is like 95% of everyone elses skinny to normal. Also gonna have to ask for some fatty fat fat frankie/moses pictures. :colbert:

So how does one go about swollening up a dag? I'm guessing extra walking/running and stuff like tug?

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

SuperTwo posted:

He has bulked up SO much just from having a yard to play in.
TyTy, too. She'll run around with her jolly ball as long as I let her stay outside, which depends on the weather. As a result she's gotten skinnier than I'd like (TyTy is basically two dimensional atm apart from her thighs, which are massive for her), so some extra energy chow and a second meal a day are now on her menu.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Bash Ironfist posted:

So how does one go about swollening up a dag? I'm guessing extra walking/running and stuff like tug?

Hand walk a dog. Make a dog wear a weighted backpack. Play flirtpole. Play springpole. Make the dog jump for fetch. Play football. Play with a boomer ball. Play with a jolly egg.

Make a dog active :black101:

eta Springpole pics. If my nearly thirteen year old lazy rear end dog can do a springpole, a BT sure can!

Now that they both have the idea I really need to raise the springpole. And get something more enticing than a scented rope.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 7, 2013

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Superconsndar posted:

Yeeeeupp. I feel guilty that Cohen's gone chubby. I wanna get her on a treadmill or something, but that would mean I gotta buy a treadmill, and find a place to put a treadmill... And simply getting her outside isn't really an option these days 'cause I'm too busy to give her good runs regularly. Ughhhh

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Does anyone here know why boomer balls/jolly eggs are so enticing for dogs?

I don't get it. For some reason, Lola doesn't really rate her jolly egg outside of the house, which sucks.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Ellie did awesome at the vet today, was so well behaved (I also had cheese.) The staff didn't want to give her back, ha!

In sad vet news, my in-law's dog, Goose, is being put down today. He is about 9 and his diabetes I guess have caught up to him, he is mostly blind, somewhat incontinent, and now his liver is failing. Fairwell, Goose. I may not like schnauzers, but you were A Good Dog.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I had the livestock vet out to check the new goats and look at Windsor's broken horn. It was a different vet than usual and he had never seen a Jacob sheep before and it blew his mind. Twofer, who has the most impressive horns of the bunch, marched right over to say hi and the vet was so excited. It was super cute to see someone who works with sheep all the time still get so giddy about my silly looking boys.

One of the new goats has an URI and got a dose of antibiotics and both of the goats are having full fecals run but their eyelids look good and are otherwise very healthy. Poor Win was not so lucky. His broken horn was infected and needed to be sawed off. The vet gave me the option of trying to save the horn but I like the sheep more than his horn so off it came. It should grow back in time anyway. The little man is all traumatized now and I stink like infection and burning hair from holding him while the vet used the wire saw then cauterized the area.

Major has now found and stolen the gross infected horn we sawed off and is chewing on it like its the best thing in the world. I'm glad someone got something positive out of the experience.

I don't know if anyone else here is interested in livestock but OSU and the Ohio Sheep Improvement Assoc are putting on a series of web seminars about various sheep topics this month. Topics are vaccination protocols, AI techniques, pasture management after a drought, and the use of CIDRs. Very interesting stuff!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

SuperTwo posted:

I'm not sure what you're implying. I don't know whether to be happy or insulted on behalf of my dog. Stop confusing me!

:shobon: Just the set of his legs is wide, that's all. Not wide in a bad way, just a classic Staffy "train tunnel." It amuses me to think of smaller dogs running under them.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Guys.

Guys.

Sarabi fell asleep with her eyes open.

I will never feel safe again. I have never been this creeped out.

minema
May 31, 2011
This probably isn't the right place for this but I don't want to start a new thread on it, just wanted the opinions of Pet Island. Basically someone I know (not well, through friends) has a pet rabbit that is not kept well. His hutch is cleaned about once a month and he isn't fed the correct diet, given no attention, all that sort of thing. The one good point is that he does get exercise, but this is just unsupervised wandering through the house and he poops everywhere and it isn't cleaned up. The RSPCA has been called about it but they said they can't do anything because he does have shelter and there are other people in the house who could (and do) look after him. Obviously though they are busy and don't want to have to look after a pet they don't really have much interest in. I don't know what to do, the whole situation makes me angry and I just want to steal the rabbit and look after it myself (Her housemates have even said that it would probably take a while for her to notice he was missing and probably wouldn't be that concerned) but obviously that is a bad idea. Would ringing the RSPCA again do anything? I don't know her well enough to talk about it and I've not actually seen the rabbit myself so I can't verify the conditions it's kept in. It is common knowledge among everyone who knows her that she doesn't treat it properly, though.

Help me Pet Island!!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

minema posted:

This probably isn't the right place for this but I don't want to start a new thread on it, just wanted the opinions of Pet Island. Basically someone I know (not well, through friends) has a pet rabbit that is not kept well. His hutch is cleaned about once a month and he isn't fed the correct diet, given no attention, all that sort of thing. The one good point is that he does get exercise, but this is just unsupervised wandering through the house and he poops everywhere and it isn't cleaned up. The RSPCA has been called about it but they said they can't do anything because he does have shelter and there are other people in the house who could (and do) look after him. Obviously though they are busy and don't want to have to look after a pet they don't really have much interest in. I don't know what to do, the whole situation makes me angry and I just want to steal the rabbit and look after it myself (Her housemates have even said that it would probably take a while for her to notice he was missing and probably wouldn't be that concerned) but obviously that is a bad idea. Would ringing the RSPCA again do anything? I don't know her well enough to talk about it and I've not actually seen the rabbit myself so I can't verify the conditions it's kept in. It is common knowledge among everyone who knows her that she doesn't treat it properly, though.

Help me Pet Island!!

You could offer to buy it off her and then take it to a shelter. Wouldn't stop her from replacing it, though. Unfortunately, if an animal has food, water, and shelter, and isn't being beaten, they won't do much about it in general.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I had the livestock vet out to check the new goats and look at Windsor's broken horn. It was a different vet than usual and he had never seen a Jacob sheep before and it blew his mind. Twofer, who has the most impressive horns of the bunch, marched right over to say hi and the vet was so excited. It was super cute to see someone who works with sheep all the time still get so giddy about my silly looking boys.

One of the new goats has an URI and got a dose of antibiotics and both of the goats are having full fecals run but their eyelids look good and are otherwise very healthy. Poor Win was not so lucky. His broken horn was infected and needed to be sawed off. The vet gave me the option of trying to save the horn but I like the sheep more than his horn so off it came. It should grow back in time anyway. The little man is all traumatized now and I stink like infection and burning hair from holding him while the vet used the wire saw then cauterized the area.

Major has now found and stolen the gross infected horn we sawed off and is chewing on it like its the best thing in the world. I'm glad someone got something positive out of the experience.

I don't know if anyone else here is interested in livestock but OSU and the Ohio Sheep Improvement Assoc are putting on a series of web seminars about various sheep topics this month. Topics are vaccination protocols, AI techniques, pasture management after a drought, and the use of CIDRs. Very interesting stuff!

This story is both awesome and disturbing.

Is it okay for Major to chew the horn if it has infection in it? :barf: dogs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Greycious posted:

This story is both awesome and disturbing.

Is it okay for Major to chew the horn if it has infection in it? :barf: dogs.

It probably isn't great but he ran off with it too fast for me to do anything about it. He snatched it from the barn and ran off into the woods with it. I took it away from him when I was able to get to him but he had already chewed the infected bit off (that was the most delicious of course!) so I gave the rest back when we got inside. If he starts acting off I'll call the vet but the livestock vet didn't tell me any specific way to dispose of it and he even talked about how much dogs like chewing on horns so I'm not super worried.

Seriously, dogs :barf:

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Lmao, that is so gross, but I'm sure it was like christmas to him.

It probably won't do a thing to him, he's a healthy farm dog, I'm sure his gut is use to all sorts of delicious farm tastes!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
So I had to take Pistol to the e vet last night. He was sitting on the couch panting really hard and shaking for no reason with his stomach all clenched and then peed himself without seeming to realize he was peeing. I was sufficiently worried so off to the vet we went. Vet couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him, so he sent him home and he has an appointment with his regular vet tomorrow afternoon to get labwork done to try to see WTF was going on. He seems ok now. The shaking/panting episode lasted about 30-45 minutes.

Any ideas of what could have happened?

Between this and Max's back, there goes my tax return :argh: drat dogs. Just be healthy for once!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Greycious posted:

Lmao, that is so gross, but I'm sure it was like christmas to him.

It probably won't do a thing to him, he's a healthy farm dog, I'm sure his gut is use to all sorts of delicious farm tastes!

Over the weekend he found a random mysterious animal chunk a crow dropped in a snow drift and choked it down as fast as he could. He then spent an hour licking and drooling like he was about to barf but refused to hork it up. Just as I was starting to get really concerned he got over it and hasn't had an issue since. The mighty farmdog has a cast iron stomach.

The difference between the livestock vets and the vets I take Major to is amazing. I take Maj to a pretty upscale, cutting edge place and I really like it there. When he got an infection it got sampled and cultured and he got targeted antibiotics and a followup appointment. The whole deal. With the snuffly goat the vet listened to her lungs and just asked what antibiotics I had on hand. The oxytet I had was apparently fine. He then guestimated the dosage asked if I had needles and that was that. As a city girl all this livestock stuff still seems so weird to me.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

drat dogs. Just be healthy for once!

Oh no, I hope your freckledogs sort themselves out soon :ohdear:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

InEscape posted:

Guys.

Guys.

Ahaha, does her eyes roll? Feldman will do this, and his eyes will twitch and roll and :ohdear:

edit: Vvv I had to look up nictitating membrane and :gonk: Terrifying!

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 8, 2013

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Bailey falls asleep with just his nictitating membrane over his eye. He looks like Satan's spotty dog.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

It was Wheatley's guesstimated birthday yesterday. He got no presents because lol mouse.

I think this puts him roughly on par with living as long as my oldest ~show bred mice~. I'm surprised he hasn't just dropped yet like they did.

When I got him he was like the size of my little finger :3:

He's fat now because he doesn't use his wheel. He still stinks.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Happy birthday to Wheatley! :toot:

My oldest rat right now is nearing 3. She's gotten grumpy in her old(er) age but still enjoys treats and walking on my keyboard while I'm trying to play video games. I can't wait until someone genetically engineers mice or hamsters or rats that live to be 10. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Mice that live and smell of Mouse for ten years? :gonk:

How many rats do you have now, Pew? You never hang out in the rat thread anymore. :smith:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/txblacklabel/puppy-gets-mad-at-a-vibrating-ball-28m7

Oh my god I want one so I can see how either enraged or utterly indifferent Bailey would be.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

Mice that live and smell of Mouse for ten years? :gonk:

How many rats do you have now, Pew? You never hang out in the rat thread anymore. :smith:

4, three girls and one testicle male. I've been so busy with my reptile obsession as of late that I keep forgetting to post rats. Whoops. I'm hoping to contribute some information soon regarding rat training though! I never bothered to train mine before but I'm starting to figure out how.
Oh, and I wanted to post about DIY felt hammocks too. I should get on that.

e: 5, there's four girls. I haven't had coffee.

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 8, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Aw man what happened? Didn't you have like nine? :(

Ooh post about training stuff! I've started charging the clicker w one of my rats but it's so very :effort:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Two of my PEWs were put down due to cancer, and a male I got to be a friend with the male I have now had to be rehomed because my male is very violent towards other rats. And I forgot to count another PEW I have who is very sick and isolated from the rest so that's actually 4 girls, not three. From now on I'm not planning on having that many rats at once because vet bills and I honestly start getting confused.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

InEscape posted:

Guys.

Guys.

Send her to me, I'm not scared! (and I want to snuggle her). Any updates on the kittens?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I had to rearrange some stuff in my apartment yesterday so I could easily get out to the balcony. This morning I found Sadie "hiding" behind the vertical and bottom frame of the sliding glass door:

I decided to help her out and move her cat-cave back over to the sliding glass door so she could better hide. It didn't improve matters much:

:bravo:

Seriously, they can see you Sadie. They are not fooled into thinking a black non-cat floof-puddle has formed inside of the window behind the edge of the screen door.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Took the dog to the vet, who pushed and pulled and prodded at his leg in all sorts of ways. Not a single sign of discomfort or pain though. So for the next two weeks, he can ONLY go outside for potty breaks, and has to come in as soon as he's done. If he's not on the couch with one of us, he has to stay in his crate, the vet doesn't want him doing anything. Also gave him an anti-inflammatory/pain med to give him once a day. If it's not better in two weeks, then he gets an x-ray! :toot:

So forced rest, while we do our best to keep him from moving at all. Gonna be fun :toot:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

He's a boston. Just crank the heating up and he'll have enough trouble breathing to try and get into mischief! :haw:

Shifty Pony posted:

Seriously, they can see you Sadie. They are not fooled into thinking a black non-cat floof-puddle has formed inside of the window behind the edge of the screen door.

I literally giggle like a child at Sadie failhiding photos :3:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

So Bailey's mystery lump is a mystery no longer! It was just a cyst. Doc told me it could be a cyst, a pimple, or (more troubling) a mast cell tumor. I'm just supposed to keep an eye on it to see if it gets infected or bothers him. I mainly went because I was concerned about mast cell tumors. He did the cytology while I waited, which was nice. It wasn't super cheap but I'm glad I know what it is and how to deal with it.

Also my vet always comments on how well he's doing, how concerned he was initially, how much progress he's made and that I must really understand him. Which, you know, makes me feel like some sort of rock star.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fraction posted:

He's a boston. Just crank the heating up and he'll have enough trouble breathing to try and get into mischief! :haw:

I literally giggle like a child at Sadie failhiding photos :3:

I've got him in his crate now. I'm thinking maybe I can put some almond butter into his kong and freeze it, give that to him to keep him entertained? He loves food and licking, so it'd be a good combination. Put a towel down in there to keep the mess to a minimum.

wtftastic posted:

So Bailey's mystery lump is a mystery no longer! It was just a cyst. Doc told me it could be a cyst, a pimple, or (more troubling) a mast cell tumor. I'm just supposed to keep an eye on it to see if it gets infected or bothers him. I mainly went because I was concerned about mast cell tumors. He did the cytology while I waited, which was nice. It wasn't super cheap but I'm glad I know what it is and how to deal with it.

Also my vet always comments on how well he's doing, how concerned he was initially, how much progress he's made and that I must really understand him. Which, you know, makes me feel like some sort of rock star.

:toot: Glad it's nothing too serious! Pet worries are the Most Serious kind of worries.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Frozen kongs and making him work for every piece of kibble at mealtimes (work on low-movement shaping tricks) will work wonders for keeping his brain active. A dog on crate rest with mental stimulation is gonna be slightly less suicidal than one without.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fraction posted:

Frozen kongs and making him work for every piece of kibble at mealtimes (work on low-movement shaping tricks) will work wonders for keeping his brain active. A dog on crate rest with mental stimulation is gonna be slightly less suicidal than one without.

Vet said no training at all, I asked if I could do any sort of training, and she said no. So I'll give him a frozen kong, maybe switch that out once he's done with it with his bad cuz toy that he likes. Or buy a nyla bone for him to chew on?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

No training at all? :psyduck:

I guess you could take his kibble meals, soak em overnight and mash them then freeze in a kong. That'd give him something to do. It does depend on having numerous kongs though.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fraction posted:

No training at all? :psyduck:

I guess you could take his kibble meals, soak em overnight and mash them then freeze in a kong. That'd give him something to do. It does depend on having numerous kongs though.

Well I still have his puppy kong. Spent our last money on this vet visit, so will have to make do with what we got.

She said no training, but if you know of something that has little to no movement, I'd give it a shot! She wants him to use that leg as little as possible.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Bash Ironfist posted:

She said no training, but if you know of something that has little to no movement, I'd give it a shot! She wants him to use that leg as little as possible.

IANAV so I'm not gonna counter your vet's instructions V:shobon:V He'll just have to cope with food for stimulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Took both dogs to the vet today for their various ailments. Pistol got his blood drawn and I should get the results Monday, although the vet thinks his panting/shaking/peeing episode was a one time weird thing and there's nothing seriously wrong with him.

Max has arthritis in his back, so she gave me a bottle of Dasuquin for him and a pamphlet on Hill's prescription joint health food. I don't think I'm going to give him prescription food at this point, he's not THAT bad. He got a new bottle of Previcox for bad days too. If the Dasuquin doesn't help she suggested cortisone shots, but I'm going to try out the Dasuquin before we go that far.

Yay for nothing being seriously wrong with my doggies!

• Locked thread