Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

I saw Nina Conti play at my student union about 10 years ago, and she was loving awful then. And then like two weeks later she appeared to my astonishment on Comic Relief. Ever since then I have remained shocked at the fact that she manages even her meagre level of fame - and her act has moved on not one iota.

Novelty is a powerful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm currently watching one of C4's garbage documentaries called How to Build a Bionic Man, where someone puts together a collection of prosthetics and then props it up. There's a hilarious Frankenstein theme throughout, and everbody's trying so hard to make you dread this shonky bodge-job. I'm still watching as prosthetics are still interesting, I just wish they'd shut up about science dabbling in things we know not of.

The Frankenstein theme is hilariously dumb, but it is remarkable to see how far prosthetics have come in the last ten years thanks to massive lumps of funding from the US Army 'cos all their soldiers keep getting limbs blown off :(. Reminds me of how facial plastic surgery came on by leaps and bounds during WWI trench warfare.

I particularly like the nice old blind lady churchwarden who just wants to see the light come through the stained glass of her church again. One high-tech retina implant later, and she can see light and shapes again. How marvellous is that?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Frankenstein theme's paying off as the host feels an instinctive and irresistible feeling of great repugnance towards this dumb thing.
fake e: they've made friends now and he's taking it shopping.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Filming on Alan Partridge: The Movie has begun :woop:

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/02/07/17146/alan_partridge_film_begins_shooting

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
That's Mali for you...

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

God I really wish Weekly Wipe was at least 45 minutes long, there's way too much poo poo to be derided in this world and half an hour doesn't cut it.

That's Mali for you.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Looks like a prototype David Mitchell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NaDy posted:

Looks like a prototype David Mitchell.

The best part was when it cut to the interview and he really really did.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

I saw Nina Conti play at my student union about 10 years ago, and she was loving awful then. And then like two weeks later she appeared to my astonishment on Comic Relief. Ever since then I have remained shocked at the fact that she manages even her meagre level of fame - and her act has moved on not one iota.
She probably has a really good agent. Thats the only reason Michael McIntyre and Jack Whitehall get any kind of national exposure.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Gorn Myson posted:

She probably has a really good agent. Thats the only reason Michael McIntyre and Jack Whitehall get any kind of national exposure.
Michael McIntyre doesn't only get exposure due to having a really good agent, he's literally the most popular standup comedian in the UK right now

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
He sold Ł21m worth of tickets in 2012. He might get criticised for being a bit middle of the road, but as Coldplay showed, that can be a good place for finding a big audience.

According to this article, that makes him more than just the most successful in the UK, it's in the world.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ur-8443357.html

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 8, 2013

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I don't mind McIntyre but Whitehall is just an awful prick.

He's like a less-funny, less-gay, less-Jewish Amstell. And I don't like Amstell that much either.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Jack Whitehall is actually funny and a decent enough actor.

WastedJoker posted:

I don't mind McIntyre but Whitehall is just an awful prick.

He's like a less-funny, less-gay, less-Jewish Amstell. And I don't like Amstell that much either.

Out of interest, how do you feel about Stewie Lee?

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 8, 2013

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

Michael McIntyre doesn't only get exposure due to having a really good agent, he's literally the most popular standup comedian in the UK right now
And he got there by having a really good agent. I remember reading an interview with him years ago where he said this exact thing; he was doing stand up for years and got absolutely nowhere, but enlisted the help of (I think) Jonathan Ross's agent and he sky-rocketed from there.

Fair play to him and all. It doesn't bother me because I don't like his style of humour so I don't watch him, but I was just having a guess at why Nina Conti keeps appearing on TV despite the fact that shes not actually very good - someone is pushing to give her these gigs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, the amount of bile Whitehall gets in this thread is a bit undeserved, he's came on leaps and bounds recently.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, the amount of bile Whitehall gets in this thread is a bit undeserved, he's came on leaps and bounds recently.

He has a posh voice and his dad's a successful agent, so gently caress the oval office rabblerabblerabble.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Lemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4znpOdPRrg

The only time ventriloquism has been funny.

Joe Beazley was pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6oajPBSnO8

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
We literally have a "Jack Whitehall isn't that bad/YES HE IS" conversation like every couple of weeks ITT

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I just watched the new episode of the new series of Being Human. It was really good! Loving the new storylines and I think the new 'group' have a great chemistry.

Such a fun show.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Requesting thread title change to this.

Seriously, this is like... the most Brit-thread sentence I've seen in aaaaaages.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Paperhouse posted:

We literally have a "Jack Whitehall isn't that bad/YES HE IS" conversation like every couple of weeks ITT

1 week discussing Brookers hair, 1 week discussing how offensive/non-offensive jack whitehall is, you know the rules Paperhouse.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Sion posted:

Requesting thread title change to this.

Seriously, this is like... the most Brit-thread sentence I've seen in aaaaaages.

We getting a new thread at 500 pages?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SeanBeansShako posted:

No true Brit would settle for anything less than 1066 :britain:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Rarity posted:

I sure do love being a fedual slave to them in Normans in their fancy castles!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rarity posted:

I always rooted for the Saxons.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

SeanBeansShako posted:

Should we? I mean, we can start working on it now to answer the typical american 'WHAT SHOWS DO I WATCH' and 'WAIT HOUSE IS BRITISH?' things and come up with a thread cycle that's basically 3 points long ('*comedian name* is a twat' 'What do you think about stewie lee' and 'Wait, who said something negative about Attenborough?')

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Don't forget the inevitable argument over whether Seinfeld is funny or not.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sion posted:

'Wait, who said something negative about Attenborough?'

Has this happened? Seriously who criticised him?

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
Utopia is loving excellent :allears: The cinematography is just brutal and that's pulling me through the slight madness of parts of it. Just finished episode two.

Black Mirror and The Railway on from next week, I hear?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm still furious about the tag getting changed.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Leyburn posted:

I'm still furious about the tag getting changed.

What was it before? I never look at tags unless they're going sparklesparkle.

Also, it's been called Piers Morgan Memorial Pier for too long. I think we need a new title, one that includes the three great loves of this thread (Bake Off, slagging off comedians and the haircut of Charleton Brooker)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
One of the pink ones I'm sure, it was better than NOT USA anyway.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It was E/N.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Irisi posted:

I think we need a new title, one that includes the three great loves of this thread (Bake Off, slagging off comedians and the haircut of Charleton Brooker)

British TV 2013: Stewart Lee's Trains, Manes and Freshly-Baked Meals.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Stewie, it's spelt Stewie.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Brain Doctors (BBC2/HD) was great. They are following neurosurgeons with some personality, which isn't always the easiest thing. Its also really well shot.

It was weird watching it because the female scot doctor is pretty much a carbon copy of my mum, especially her mannerisms and the way she flippantly dismissed her son's broken finger as not a big deal. I WASN'T LOVED :reddit:

twoot fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 8, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Cloud Potato posted:

British TV 2013: Stewart Lee's Trains, Manes and Freshly-Baked Meals.

The Great British programme discussion: don't mention Jack Whitehall

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Allan Assiduity posted:

Utopia is loving excellent :allears: The cinematography is just brutal and that's pulling me through the slight madness of parts of it. Just finished episode two.

Black Mirror and The Railway on from next week, I hear?

I've just been rewatching the first few episodes of Utopia and it really is quite excellent. Normally when I hear about "British sci-fi drama" I sigh inwardly and await disappointment. Between this and Black Mirror, things seem to be improving for C4. They haven't been producing such good dystopian near-future Broken-Britain stuff since the last time we had a Tory government.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Bloodbath posted:

I just watched the new episode of the new series of Being Human. It was really good! Loving the new storylines and I think the new 'group' have a great chemistry.

Such a fun show.

Don't get too attached. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/beinghuman/posts/Final-Series-Announced

Zai Bennett, Controller, BBC Three said: “Being Human has been a fantastic and faithful friend to BBC Three. It’s featured some truly exceptional actors and storylines through the years and I’d like to thank Toby and the production team for their vision and passion. However, all good things come to an end and at BBC Three we’re committed to breaking new shows and new talent and who better to pass that baton on than Toby.”

Rob Pursey, the show’s Executive Producer said: “Working on Being Human has been a truly great experience. I'd like to take the chance to thank Toby for his incredible writing and storytelling; the other screenwriters who've made the series their own, the three producers who've nurtured the show and the many directors who've helped us establish the show's unique tone. We will miss Being Human, but feel inspired that there is a place for series like this on British television.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I........................don't.................mind.......................Stewart Lee..............