Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soul Glo posted:

Oh, I missed that, must have glazed right over "Pro controller" right in the middle of the sentence. Yeah, good bundle if you're wanting a pro controller. Does Nintendoland use it? ZombiU can't because of the whole backpack system, right?

I really hope that same bundle comes with MH then. I'd be surprised if that game doesn't support the Pro.

You use pro controller for the local coop in Zombieland.

Gamepad is RTS style map to deploy zombies with TV/pro controller is someone running with standard FPS controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

The Operative posted:

The concern is that Rayman will be competing for shelf space and in-store marketing, at a time when retailers are going to emphasize other big budget titles. Some casual / impulse buyers that the game might appeal to may not even be aware that Legends is available or even exists.

Right. And then add in very heavy hype for the new consoles on top of that, and... good luck selling Rayman.

I don't know if they had a better option, business-wise, to be honest - I'd say that they should be trying to release it in the summer, but probably the PS3/360 ports won't be ready in time for that. But I'm not convinced that this is going to turn out well for them.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
This is a terrible business decision.

If the game is done, release it. Then work on the other versions, create some new levels and release it in the fall for the 360 and PS3. Release the new levels as DLC for the Wii U.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!
I don't necessarily think that the game shouldn't have been delayed. Rather, I question how well Legends will do as a Fall 2013 title. The more I think about it, the more I feel like this may just be Ubisoft's way of cutting their losses on an initiative that simply didn't pan out as well as they hoped.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
It's not a terrible business decision, especially if Microsoft is leveraging their position to demand simultaneous releases(on everything but PC). You can't just ignore the 360, and the game was going to get ported to it eventually.

It's a horrible decision for consumers, but it's not a horrible business decision.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Buffer posted:

It's not a terrible business decision, especially if Microsoft is leveraging their position to demand simultaneous releases(on everything but PC). You can't just ignore the 360, and the game was going to get ported to it eventually.

It's a horrible decision for consumers, but it's not a horrible business decision.

Releasing the game for the Wii U now is not ignoring the 360.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Xavier434 posted:

Releasing the game for the Wii U now is not ignoring the 360.

If Microsoft is saying simultaneous release or no release it is. E: Or at least that really feeds the risk-analysis.

Buffer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 8, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How newbie friendly is MH3U likely to be? I've never played any of the other games apart from maybe a demo of the original PS2 version, but since it seems like the only worthwhile WiiU game coming out between now and summer I figured I'd give it a shot.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Sakurazuka posted:

How newbie friendly is MH3U likely to be? I've never played any of the other games apart from maybe a demo of the original PS2 version, but since it seems like the only worthwhile WiiU game coming out between now and summer I figured I'd give it a shot.

Monster Hunter games always feature a pretty robust tutorial. You get like an hour or so to learn the basics before fighting anything remotely challenging.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Buffer posted:

Microsoft is seriously not allowing games to be ported to xbox at a later date? Not buying the next xbox is becoming an easier decision every day

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Microsoft is seriously not allowing games to be ported to xbox at a later date? Not buying the next xbox is becoming an easier decision every day

They do seem to have a too-big-to-fail attitude. I almost hope they do run with then console locked always online nextbox just to watch them fall.

They have the same feeling that Sony had when they launched a console for 600$ with a smile.

Buffer
May 6, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

They tried it back in 2011, and have done similar fuckery around PC and DLC releases, and have definitely done it for XBox Live Arcade. I don't know if this is actually the case for this or not. I wouldn't be surprised if it is, but I don't know.

Then again if that bothers you, then you can only seek refuge in Nintendo as a bastion of goodness because they haven't been in a position to do similar things since the SNES.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Buffer posted:

Then again if that bothers you, then you can only seek refuge in Nintendo as a bastion of goodness because they haven't been in a position to do similar things since the SNES.
Well, it's certainly helped that Nintendo is no longer run by an ancient evil Japanese spirit named Yamauchi. I'm not sure they'd be as ridiculously arrogant now as they were in the lead-up to the N64.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

This may be the case for XBLA games that do not include new content but not for retail releases. The WiiU version of Ninja Gaiden 3 is getting ported back to the 360 for some inexplicable reason as an example.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

This may be the case for XBLA games that do not include new content but not for retail releases. The WiiU version of Ninja Gaiden 3 is getting ported back to the 360 for some inexplicable reason as an example.

This isnt suprising. Every modern Ninja Gaiden has been updated and ported between consoles muiltiple times. Its kinda its thing. So you get NG: Black NG:Sigma and so on. Its not really the same thing.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

This isnt suprising. Every modern Ninja Gaiden has been updated and ported between consoles muiltiple times. Its kinda its thing. So you get NG: Black NG:Sigma and so on. Its not really the same thing.

No one is denying that NG games often get ported to other platforms. The point is that it's exactly the thing that the MS rule would supposedly prevent. 360 ports of games that have already come out on other platforms have to come with some sort of 360-exclusive content to get a release. This rule is actually enforced on the XBLA side, which is why you have Joe Danger: Special Edition on XBLA. Joe Danger released on PSN only at first, which meant that any port of Joe Danger to XBLA had to include additional content in order to be approved by Microsoft. It's also speculated that this rule is the reason that Trine for XBLA never materialized, because it ended up launching on PSN first and then was blocked by the "no late ports" rule.

NG3: Razor's Edge is a port of a Wii U game. If nothing's being added to Razor's Edge for the 360 version, then any enforcement of the "no late ports" rule against retail releases would mean MS would prohibit its release.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Oh wow, the Rayman thing pisses me off.

I didn't have any plans for any Wii U games - other than downloadable stuff. I wanted Rayman. :(

The 360/PS3 release won't even be the same game. The Wii U game has stages that are designed for the tablet controller. Those have to be totally changed or removed on the 360/PS3.
I guess they could be changed to Kinect & Move-controlled.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Xenomorph posted:

I didn't have any plans for any Wii U games - other than downloadable stuff. I wanted Rayman. :(

The 360/PS3 release won't even be the same game. The Wii U game has stages that are designed for the tablet controller. Those have to be totally changed or removed on the 360/PS3.

The ps4 is rumored to have a touchpad on its controllers (like the back of the vita) so I think, yeah its turned into a launch game to show off Kinect2.0 touchpad and gamepad features.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xenomorph posted:

Do they really? You could just control the pixie with the control stick and a button and do rotation stuff with the triggers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Louisgod posted:

And some of us can't even if we wanted to because we own a WiiU ahahaha auuuggghhhhh
We'll have Lego City :colbert:

...it actually looks alright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyH8Na_Hck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c23XvgFv9Lw
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388447/previews/hands-on-lego-city-undercover-is-more-just-cause-than-gta/

greatn posted:

Do they really? You could just control the pixie with the control stick and a button and do rotation stuff with the triggers.
I think there's direct touch elements, like I vaguely remember stuff you tap on as they're quickly passing by. I guess it'd be possible on a regular controller but it'd be a pain in the rear end, but I imagine they'd just tweak the hell out of stuff like that if necessary.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Bombadilillo posted:

The ps4 is rumored to have a touchpad on its controllers (like the back of the vita) so I think, yeah its turned into a launch game to show off Kinect2.0 touchpad and gamepad features.

We haven't heard anything about it being on the PS4 or Nextbox, only confirmation that it will be on PS3/360.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

theflyingorc posted:

We haven't heard anything about it being on the PS4 or Nextbox, only confirmation that it will be on PS3/360.

It's getting lumped in with the GTA 5 "IS THE DELAY PART OF A DURANGO AND ORBIS LAUNCH LINEUP PLOT?!?!" rumor mongering.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Policenaut posted:

It's getting lumped in with the GTA 5 "IS THE DELAY PART OF A DURANGO AND ORBIS LAUNCH LINEUP PLOT?!?!" rumor mongering.

I really hate that we're using the codenames to discuss these things. What are the odds that the next Playstation won't be called the PS4?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

I really hate that we're using the codenames to discuss these things. What are the odds that the next Playstation won't be called the PS4?

I dunno, everyone thought that PSP2 was a lock cinch and look what happened. Orbis Vitae, folks.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Ever since Tri the games feature a section at the start where you are taught about looting, crafting, and get used to the feel of your weapons before it throws anything dangerous at you.

Even the first three boss fights in Tri were just teaching you how to handle the big monsters. Great Jaggi teaches you about learning attack patterns and taking advantage of openings, as well as hitting specific parts of the body. Qurupeco teaches you that monsters can be assholes and fly away, you need to track them. His parts also created the first elemental weapons. Royal Ludroth teaches you how to fight underwater. It's all done really well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Can you play Monster Hunter solo? Playing online is difficult.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm actually sort of glad Rayman was pushed because I was going to buy it despite boycotting Ubisoft and I almost felt bad about that. Thanks for making my decision for me you terrible, terrible company.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Bombadilillo posted:

Can you play Monster Hunter solo? Playing online is difficult.

You certainly can, but my tiny bit of experience with the games makes it seem like they'd be a lot funner multiplayer.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

japtor posted:

We'll have Lego City :colbert:

...it actually looks alright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyH8Na_Hck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c23XvgFv9Lw
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/388447/previews/hands-on-lego-city-undercover-is-more-just-cause-than-gta/

I think there's direct touch elements, like I vaguely remember stuff you tap on as they're quickly passing by. I guess it'd be possible on a regular controller but it'd be a pain in the rear end, but I imagine they'd just tweak the hell out of stuff like that if necessary.

Oh, I completely forgot about smart glass, which they could presumably use.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Monster Hunter is a game you absolutely, positively want to enjoy with other cool dudes with attitude.

In other news, we're getting a new Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends demo! Aren't you excited?!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

the twist is it's the same demo we already have, only with one extra level.

enjoy!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Policenaut posted:

Monster Hunter is a game you absolutely, positively want to enjoy with other cool dudes with attitude.

In other news, we're getting a new Wii U exclusive Rayman Legends demo! Aren't you excited?!

Wow Ubisoft, that totally makes me forget about how you delayed a finished game to September! I'm so excited now!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not too disappointed by Rayman getting delayed/ported. I want Rayman, but I don't want to buy it at $60, so I was hoping to actually buy it in September for $30. Oh well.

I'm not too disappointed about Wii U's slow lack of exclusives. I figure Wii U will still overall have more third party exclusives than Durango/Orbis in its lifetime. It's not like 360 and PS3 were bursting at the seams with their own third party exclusives.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

theflyingorc posted:

Apparently, 4 can be written as Shi in Japanese, which also means death*, so Sony might not be too keen on sending a console out that's called Playstation DEATH:black101:

* I've heard this and Wikipedia confirms it. I have no idea about the Japanese language, so don't take my word for it)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm not too disappointed about Wii U's slow lack of exclusives. I figure Wii U will still overall have more third party exclusives than Durango/Orbis in its lifetime. It's not like 360 and PS3 were bursting at the seams with their own third party exclusives.
Oh come on, this is the weirdest technicality ever.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Oh come on, this is the weirdest technicality ever.

Well? The only PS3 exclusives I can think of are niche RPGs, and the only 360 exclusives are Kinect titles. And those are hardly games.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

is 3D dot heroes considered a third Party exclusive?

also Metal gear solid 4 too?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well? The only PS3 exclusives I can think of are niche RPGs, and the only 360 exclusives are Kinect titles. And those are hardly games.

Uncharted. Halo. Gears of War. Killzone. Ratchet and Clank. Any of these ringing bells?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Detective No. 27 posted:

Right, but the number of third party releases that are available on PS3 and 360, but not on the Wii, is huge. There's no real reason to draw 3 circles in this Venn diagram. I care about how many 3rd party games I can play on the system, not how many experiences I literally can ONLY get on this system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bland posted:

Uncharted. Halo. Gears of War. Killzone. Ratchet and Clank. Any of these ringing bells?

They're all first party properties. He's saying third party, which would be stuff like MGS4, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces, Demon's Souls, etc.

• Locked thread