Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

During the Wei campaign, I always found it strange that Cao Cao was all :qq: for Dian Wei but hardly mentioned the loss of his oldest son, Cao Ang.

But now I'm reading Romance and he acts exactly the same way, so at least Koei was consistent in that regard :v:

Ambivalent posted:

I think that is sort of a trope of the Martial Romance genre - even bonds of blood or family are outmatched by the bond of comrades or a lord and his vassal etc. etc.
Actually, Liu Bei somewhat draws an analogy when Zhang Fei attempts to kill himself in shame after losing Xiapi to Lu Bu -- "The ancient had a saying: 'Brothers are as hands and feet; wives and children are as clothing. You may mend your torn dress, but who can reattach a lost limb?'"

Saith posted:

It's much worse when it comes to Liu Bei, Zhao Yun and Liu Chan.
And of course this, which is exactly why it's completely omitted from the DW series, unlike Dian Wei and Cao Ang's deaths (and that of Cao Cao's nephew Cao Anmin though I don't recall if that happens in the DW7 version of Wan Castle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
My favorite part of VIRTUOUS SHU in DW7 is how it completely omits that the reason Zhang Fei's men killed him was because he was a physically abusive drunk who'd beat the poo poo out of them and they finally had enough of it.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I recently finished WO3 on the Wii U and I still had that Musou itch going on. Got Ken's Rage 2 downloading while I'm at work. I can't wait to go home and play it. :holy:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Suben posted:

My favorite part of VIRTUOUS SHU in DW7 is how it completely omits that the reason Zhang Fei's men killed him was because he was a physically abusive drunk who'd beat the poo poo out of them and they finally had enough of it.
Or that for all of Zhang Fei's suspicion about letting Lu Bu into Xu Province, he's the one who gave a casus belli by beating Lu Bu's in-law for trying to use that relation to get out of being forced to drink by a drunken Zhang Fei -- which was more or less what Liu Bei predicted would happen if he left Xu Province! (Liu Bei was marching against Yuan Shu.)

This one's more subtle, but I'm pretty sure that Zhang Fei subsequently stealing about a hundred and fifty horses that Lu Bu's officers had just bought was what first permanently cracked the Liu Bei/Lu Bu alliance... and this after Lu Bu's shot at the halberd to prevent the clash of Yuan Shu's army (under Ji Ling) against Liu Bei's army. Cue Zhang Fei blaming Lu Bu for "stealing" Xu Province in the first place with no mention of why Lu Bu had attacked in the first place. :rolleyes:

Then again, I think novel Liu Bei is actually smarter (and ironically more self-serving) than DW Liu Bei.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So, what do the higher difficulties in DW7 actually do? I'm at the point in weapon/power upgrades where almost everything I touch dies instantly, including enemy officers in higher-level missions (Lu Bu's 5X-Y combo is god drat nuts, especially right after a weapon switch).

Mostly I just want to give enemy officers a pile more health, so long as it doesn't add anything incredibly annoying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, they do get more health, that's for sure. Beyond that, I'm still not really sure. It SEEMS to make enemies more aggressive, but honestly that seems so random to me in general I don't know if it's just my imagination. One other thing it does for sure is make more arrows fly at you. At higher difficulty levels arrows become the biggest, or maybe only, threat in the game.

In general, the difficulty curve is the worst thing about the DW series. It's almost never smooth, it's always either overwhelmingly favoring you, or overwhelmingly favoring them. Every once in a while you hit a sweet spot where the difficulty is just right, but as soon as you gain a few levels it's over.

edit: for reasons unknown, Orochi 1 held that sweet spot of difficulty far longer than any other game in the series, for me anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 8, 2013

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Awesome Welles posted:

Has anyone tried the multiplayer yet? I was looking for some clear impressions of it in some of these reviews but, you know, games journalism and all that poo poo.

I have tried to try it several times, both modes, and have never found a game. Either online is busted, or nobody is playing it. If you are on XBL we might be able to get a game going, it is not looking likely otherwise.

GT: Grimdaddy

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, they do get more health, that's for sure. Beyond that, I'm still not really sure. It SEEMS to make enemies more aggressive, but honestly that seems so random to me in general I don't know if it's just my imagination. One other thing it does for sure is make more arrows fly at you. At higher difficulty levels arrows become the biggest, or maybe only, threat in the game.

In general, the difficulty curve is the worst thing about the DW series. It's almost never smooth, it's always either overwhelmingly favoring you, or overwhelmingly favoring them. Every once in a while you hit a sweet spot where the difficulty is just right, but as soon as you gain a few levels it's over.

I can't agree enough. I hate having to decide between playing on a difficulty level that's way too easy (even if I gimp myself and use only crappy starter weapons) and one that will kick my poo poo in with arrows of death and generic officers that take half an hour to whittle down their health bar, but they kill me in a few hits.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Is Warriors Orochi 3 worth buying for the Wii U if I haven't previously bought it on the PS3 or 360? Is it worth playing as a co-op game?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I tried out the Lightning Sword DLC and holy gently caress this weapon breaks the game! The final combo let's you stunlock any enemy indefinitely (with the possible exception of Lu Bu in flip-out mode-haven't tested that). I know balance has never been the biggest priority, but I do hope they tone that poo poo down in 7E and 8.

EDIT:

StevenM posted:

Is Warriors Orochi 3 worth buying for the Wii U if I haven't previously bought it on the PS3 or 360? Is it worth playing as a co-op game?

I would say that there's no reason not to get it for the Wii U. As far as I know, the only issue is that the Wii U has even more trouble rendering all the enemies on screen than the other versions, but it's not like you'll be attacked by invisible enemies.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 8, 2013

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

SirPhoebos posted:

I would say that there's no reason not to get it for the Wii U. As far as I know, the only issue is that the Wii U has even more trouble rendering all the enemies on screen than the other versions, but it's not like you'll be attacked by invisible enemies.

Yup, it's just the mooks though, officers are unaffected. There's also no DLC released yet other than christmas costumes.
On the other hand you get 4 extras, a duel mode and offscreen play.
As for co-op, there's both offline and online co-op, but afaik you can only play stages both players have unlocked.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

So, what do the higher difficulties in DW7 actually do? I'm at the point in weapon/power upgrades where almost everything I touch dies instantly, including enemy officers in higher-level missions (Lu Bu's 5X-Y combo is god drat nuts, especially right after a weapon switch).

Mostly I just want to give enemy officers a pile more health, so long as it doesn't add anything incredibly annoying.

It makes the enemies have more health, do more damage, be more aggressive, and makes the enemy officers at lot more defensive. The last part is the only annoying one as they'll try to block at every opportunity, thankfully every weapon ever can break a guard with one of its attacks. Chaos mode isn't really that hard though.

Nightmare mode on the other hand (new difficulty in XL) can be crazy hard. In the time it takes you to swing once the random mooks can drain half of your health (if you're at max stats). There's also some baffling mechanic where they can drain your musou. That said, I still didn't have too much trouble with it except for a few stages/character combinations while trying to get all the Nightmare weapons.

Edit:

Do you guys want to see an hour long presentation on DW8 that is entirely in Japanese? I know I do!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U96o5rllKGY

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 8, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Boy howdy have I failed at properly paying attention. Somehow through careless half-reading and otherwise not bothering to read anything at all and just a dash of preconceptions based on Pirate Warrior's NA release, I was under the impression that HnK2 was going to come out as a PSN exclusive... some day. Imagine my surprise when I go look at reviews, realize they're for the XBox, and that it's out on hardcopy. Derp, time to visit a GameStop after work.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

MG42 posted:

Yup, it's just the mooks though, officers are unaffected. There's also no DLC released yet other than christmas costumes.
On the other hand you get 4 extras, a duel mode and offscreen play.
As for co-op, there's both offline and online co-op, but afaik you can only play stages both players have unlocked.

I've actually had officers hidden in crowds twice in WO3 for the PS3, I just had to thin the crowd enough to get them to show up.

Suben posted:

At least they are starting to make reference to him being an angry drunk. In one of the stages in DW7XL, Lu Bu says "You're head would look good on my mantle! If you can drag it out of the wine cask long enough!" which is pretty much my favorite line ever.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

At least they are starting to make reference to him being an angry drunk. In one of the stages in DW7XL, Lu Bu says "You're head would look good on my mantle! If you can drag it out of the wine cask long enough!" which is pretty much my favorite line ever.

I also noticed through DW7 that Zhang Fei was the first and most frequent to suggest going out and getting drinks. Progress?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hahaha whoops it looks like no one on Ken's Rage 2's QA team noticed that the DLC costumes can apparently freak the gently caress out on certain stages. Toki's DLC costume during his final battle against Raoh has him without any legs. Just a muscle torso, shoes, and no legs.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

5er posted:

I also noticed through DW7 that Zhang Fei was the first and most frequent to suggest going out and getting drinks. Progress?

I think one of his Legendary battles has him having to take back a castle after losing it due to being passed out drunk in a side room.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

I think one of his Legendary battles has him having to take back a castle after losing it due to being passed out drunk in a side room.

That's one of my favorite missions, as he's slurring his lines the entire time.

He's even worse in the WO3 DLC missions. Two stages have him throwing keggers that get out of hand. And another has him calling all the shield-using characters and bunch of pansies (forgetting that his daughter uses a shield). And the end of that mission, Xingcai even says 'he does this again I'm gonna kill him.'

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SirPhoebos posted:

He's even worse in the WO3 DLC missions. Two stages have him throwing keggers that get out of hand. And another has him calling all the shield-using characters and bunch of pansies (forgetting that his daughter uses a shield). And the end of that mission, Xingcai even says 'he does this again I'm gonna kill him.'

I really hope, some day, they can pull off a Warriors Orochi: Empires game, and have one special campaign dedicated to Zhang Fei being your virtuous leader who wants to bring keggers and hangovers to Chinapan.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Only one of the missions was a party, the other one was him and Shuten Doji ambushing random officers for their foodstuffs and wine to get ready for a party, and right after you finish the inevitable "Everyone shows up again to beat your rear end for being a dick" fight and the mission ends, Xingcai and Guan Yu show up and basically ground him.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Hahaha whoops it looks like no one on Ken's Rage 2's QA team noticed that the DLC costumes can apparently freak the gently caress out on certain stages. Toki's DLC costume during his final battle against Raoh has him without any legs. Just a muscle torso, shoes, and no legs.

Speaking of Ken's Rage 2, is anyone else having problems seeing the trophies? Because I can see when I earn them, but nothing else.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

FH_Meta posted:

Speaking of Ken's Rage 2, is anyone else having problems seeing the trophies? Because I can see when I earn them, but nothing else.

It appears that the trophies haven't been registered on the PSN's servers yet, so they don't register when you sync them. It happens every so often and usually Sony fixes it in a few days.

edit: My trophies just registered right now.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 9, 2013

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SirPhoebos posted:

:allears: The WO3 DLC missions are hilarious.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

They turn arrows into concentrated murder, for some reason.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

I really hope, some day, they can pull off a Warriors Orochi: Empires game, and have one special campaign dedicated to Zhang Fei being your virtuous leader who wants to bring keggers and hangovers to Chinapan.

I would be down with this just because they set up all these extra cross-generation relationships and poo poo throughout the games that are more or less just there for background dialog and justification of some missions. It would be cool to have a game where everyone was just like "Welp, can't unify Japan/Chin so let's just spend a couple of decades building new kingdoms and finding new reasons to fight people I used to chill with."

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Just finished one of my 5:E playthroughs, turns out if you play with Lu Bu as your ruler, after unifying China, in the victory cutscene he'll say something along the lines of "A land without anyone left to fight is of no interest to me. I leave the rest up to you." to the officers standing by his side. I love little touches like that, even if it's the same basic cutscene for every character, with just a different voice line.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

U.T. Raptor posted:

:allears: The WO3 DLC missions are hilarious.

Keiji's Theme is pretty much the best stage I've ever played in a Warriors game.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
I have to say I'm very much impressed with Ken's Rage 2 so far. It plays so much smoother than the first one. The fact it takes you through the manga stories is fantastic if you're someone who just knows the series in passing and wants to actually see it in action(though you can find the translated manga these days.) Along with the huge roster(that needs unlocking of course)-there is also the encyclopedia. The way this describes all the characters as you come across them(major and minor), and then all of the styles, signature moves within these styles(and when they were used in the series and against who), descriptions of the pressure points that come into play, names of the gangs/groups, AND the areas-it's a huge amount of info there.

I mean you do need to play through to unlock it all but once it's there the game is essentially :eng101: 'Everything you every wanted to know about Fist of the North Star, and them some.' IMO it's a pretty fantastic love letter to the fans/30th anniversary setup.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm not having much fun playing Legend Mode anymore. I love just about all Warriors games, but it's such a pain to play through the story mode. I just finished the Celestial Emperor arc with Falco in HnK 2, but the idea of stretching this out to include Shura is just irritating.

I appreciate the level of depth that Koei went to in order to properly portray the events of the manga. I like the flash backs, mid-fight chats, and other cutscenes placed exactly where they happened in the show, but I don't think the general format of the Warriors franchise fits Hokuto no Ken. The combat simply isn't refined enough to handle itself like a Final Fight or Streets of Rage beat-em-up nor is it precise enough to be considered alongside hyper action games like Devil May Cry or God Hand, and how the game IV trickles enemies at you is incredibly suffocating. Every single room is the exact same! You have to kill like 100 dudes, but the game only spawns 20 of them. So you kill 18 and then the rest start spawning in, and you repeat the process. It's like the game is pretending to be Dragon Age 2! Let me fight all 100 guys at once! I don't want to play focus fire with my combos to get the stragglers, I just want to cut a swathe of destruction. There are some stages entirely devoted to Kenshiro killing a 100 dudes in a big empty desolate wasteland environment with no story happening, and they still do this.

I really want to get into Dream Mode, where I assume like Ken's Rage 1 is where all the Warriors-y content actually went, but since you have to unlock all the characters through Legend Mode I'm sitting my rear end down trying to muster the willpower to go through Shura. It irritates me because it feels like Koei tried really hard with this one, like they listened to fan feedback and they tried to make it the "complete" Hokuto no Ken game adaptation, but I don't believe the manga's story structure mixes very well with the Warriors brand pick-up-and-play formula. It feels like I'm constantly in conflict with what the game wants to show me. Whenever I want to speed up and kick some rear end, it slows down and whenever I want to slow down and get into a boss fight, it speeds up with a cutscene about Bat or something.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I'm not having much fun playing Legend Mode anymore. I love just about all Warriors games, but it's such a pain to play through the story mode. I just finished the Celestial Emperor arc with Falco in HnK 2, but the idea of stretching this out to include Shura is just irritating.

I appreciate the level of depth that Koei went to in order to properly portray the events of the manga. I like the flash backs, mid-fight chats, and other cutscenes placed exactly where they happened in the show, but I don't think the general format of the Warriors franchise fits Hokuto no Ken. The combat simply isn't refined enough to handle itself like a Final Fight or Streets of Rage beat-em-up nor is it precise enough to be considered alongside hyper action games like Devil May Cry or God Hand, and how the game IV trickles enemies at you is incredibly suffocating. Every single room is the exact same! You have to kill like 100 dudes, but the game only spawns 20 of them. So you kill 18 and then the rest start spawning in, and you repeat the process. It's like the game is pretending to be Dragon Age 2! Let me fight all 100 guys at once! I don't want to play focus fire with my combos to get the stragglers, I just want to cut a swathe of destruction. There are some stages entirely devoted to Kenshiro killing a 100 dudes in a big empty desolate wasteland environment with no story happening, and they still do this.

I really want to get into Dream Mode, where I assume like Ken's Rage 1 is where all the Warriors-y content actually went, but since you have to unlock all the characters through Legend Mode I'm sitting my rear end down trying to muster the willpower to go through Shura. It irritates me because it feels like Koei tried really hard with this one, like they listened to fan feedback and they tried to make it the "complete" Hokuto no Ken game adaptation, but I don't believe the manga's story structure mixes very well with the Warriors brand pick-up-and-play formula. It feels like I'm constantly in conflict with what the game wants to show me. Whenever I want to speed up and kick some rear end, it slows down and whenever I want to slow down and get into a boss fight, it speeds up with a cutscene about Bat or something.

I feel your pain. I've got five chapters left, and the end can't come quickly enough. It doesn't help that one of the later stages opens with another stealth mission, this one much worse than the first. You gently caress up, you're stuck killing about 100 guys with a slow, 2-hit combo. It's mind-boggling that anyone thought it was a good idea.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly don't know why they keep doing this with their non-Gundam anime based games. Pirate Warriors was the same, with the addition of some horrible QTE platforming. Do they not realise why people like these games in the first place? The Dream/alternate modes have classic Warriors stuff going on, why not make the main game like that too?

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED
I've said this in the thread earlier, but the Dream Mode stages are all the same "kill 50 enemies to take this base x 5 and then fight a boss" format. It's not great.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Pankratos posted:

I've said this in the thread earlier, but the Dream Mode stages are all the same "kill 50 enemies to take this base x 5 and then fight a boss" format. It's not great.

That's not entirely true. At least one is a straight series of boss fights.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?
See, I always felt the Warriors style of game fit the best I could think because of the ease in which you can destroy the mooks. In Fist of the North Star, mooks pose all but no danger to Kenshiro and friends. They exist to explode and be smashed in various ways. Now, in an action game, you need to have some risk there of course, but in general-I feel that, as much as I love the Final Fight/Streets of Rage format-that format would almost be too...Slow for a Fist game. If the mooks died in one hit, it wouldn't really be much. A couple hits it still wouldn't be much. I'm not sure if a Warriors format would really work in a 2.5D sidescroller, or if it was more DMC style, making the mooks tougher really fits with the series. I'd have probably felt way off the second Kenshiro needed more than a couple hits to deal with a regular mook.

In Warriors, the mooks share that same 'they're a threat in large numbers but otherwise they exist to go splat' as they seem to in Fist.

I do agree though that they shouldn't have done the IV trickle-just have em all there for you. That definitely would have worked better I think. The stealth segments can *certainly* go-it's Fist of the North Star, why am I sneaking and why did they think sneaking would be a good idea? I Mean they got the manga basically exact, and while I admit I don't have the entire thing stuck into memory, I *really* don't remember them sneaking much.

I do stand by loving the game simply because I'm a total whore for Fist of the North Star and the amount of detail they put into keeping the story, but it's definitely not perfect. (I'd have divided Legend Mode into arcs myself-the Raoh Arc, and then the Shura Arc. I'm glad the latter is in-I enjoyed it, even if I preferred the first part of the series-but I think dividing it into two may have helped, since then people could play it at their leisure.) Hell, they could have went a step further and divided Legend Mode into 'blocks' where when you meet with the appropriate playable character, they become unlocked in Dream Mode(which is a lot more free and pick up and play.)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

In all honesty I would really love to see one of the spin off games use the Bladestorm style just to break things up.

Also because I want another game like Bladestorm.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I'm currently split about my next Warriors purchase. :(

I'm tempted by DW7 because I've played every DW game since 3 to death but there's also the thought of dabbling in Orochi which looks pretty good, but I don't know if I can let go of my precious Three Kingdoms story, especially with DW7's expansion on it. Playing on Xbox 360, by the way.

Is it worth waiting for the next expansion/release at this point?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

You can probably find DW7 for really cheap now, I just went out yesterday to browse some random game stores and saw it multiple times for like $25. DW8 probably won't come overseas until at least Winter, so you've got some time before it arrives.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I'm in the UK so the whole "overseas" thing is even more of a step for me. Good point, I'll put that Amazon gift cert to use.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Enallyniv posted:

I'm currently split about my next Warriors purchase. :(

I'm tempted by DW7 because I've played every DW game since 3 to death but there's also the thought of dabbling in Orochi which looks pretty good, but I don't know if I can let go of my precious Three Kingdoms story, especially with DW7's expansion on it. Playing on Xbox 360, by the way.

Is it worth waiting for the next expansion/release at this point?

DW7's story mode is probably the best thing going for it. But you may get a little sick of how everyone seems to have the same moves (I didn't mind, but a lot of other folks here did).

WO3 has the better gameplay, and a lot of fun moments. Plotwise it's so goofy that even the characters give up trying to understand it. But I find that to be part of the charm.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
At the very least, movesets are visibly a lot more varied in DW8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
When you say the movesets are similar, do you mean "the movesets have taken a step back in variance from previous games" or "the movesets are kinda similar because there's just so many goddamn characters now"? I can't help but feel the latter was an inevitability.