Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Epi Lepi posted:

I thought that was in Tales of the Empire, but I think you're right. I'm not sure now if there was a Boba Fett story in Tales of the Empire.

Tales from the Empire had a story from Jodo Kast, who also wore Mandalorian armor but was actually...you know, nevermind. That was stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The last time I saw Boba Fett he fell into a Saarlac. And I hope to god that is where he will be still be in the new movies.

Well that isn't actually the last time I saw him. But the last time in the chronology of his fake life.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

thrawn527 posted:

Tales from the Empire had a story from Jodo Kast, who also wore Mandalorian armor but was actually...you know, nevermind. That was stupid.

What was stupid about it? If I remember correctly Jodo Kast started wearing Mandalorian armor after Fett fell in the Sarlaac pit so he could usurp Fett's identity and reputation. Not a bad plan if you want to make major cash in the bounty hunting trade. Of course, Fett then blasted himself out of the Sarlaac pit (twice :wtc:) and then must have gone after Jodo Kast, but I don't actually remember what happened when he did.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Epi Lepi posted:

What was stupid about it? If I remember correctly Jodo Kast started wearing Mandalorian armor after Fett fell in the Sarlaac pit so he could usurp Fett's identity and reputation. Not a bad plan if you want to make major cash in the bounty hunting trade. Of course, Fett then blasted himself out of the Sarlaac pit (twice :wtc:) and then must have gone after Jodo Kast, but I don't actually remember what happened when he did.

In his Tales from the Empire story, didn't Kast turn out to be Thrawn in disguise? I might be remembering wrong.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

thrawn527 posted:

In his Tales from the Empire story, didn't Kast turn out to be Thrawn in disguise? I might be remembering wrong.

:stare: God I hope that wasn't a thing, but I can't say I'd be that surprised if that was real.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Just pretend that Han or Lando is telling the stories.

Really. That fixes like 90% of the EU.

Oh that's just grandpa and uncle Lando telling bedtime stories. Why would your mother do that with bugs?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 7, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

thrawn527 posted:

Not in TftE, I don't think, but I may be mistaken. There was a short story by Zahn involving Thrawn dressing up as Kast and hiring a bunch of mercenaries to take out some crime lord without it looking like the Empire was the one behind it. It was actually not bad, but I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh that's just grandpa and uncle Lando telling bedtime stories. Why would your mother do that with bugs?

Those would be some weird-rear end bedtime stories.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope the Boba Fett movie is a straight adaptation of Bounty Hunter Wars :allears:

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I liked the Boba Fett story in Tales from Jabba's Palace. The graphic novel with Jodo Kast or whatever wasn't horrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirPhoebos posted:

I hope the Boba Fett movie is a straight adaptation of Bounty Hunter Wars :allears:

David Lynch is set to direct.

LLJKSiLk posted:

I liked the Boba Fett story in Tales from Jabba's Palace. The graphic novel with Jodo Kast or whatever wasn't horrible.

He also had one of the two great stories in Tales Of the Bounty Hunters (the other being the Dengar story, "Payback").

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A David Lynch SW film sounds like the most amazingly enjoyable thing possible.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Pretty sure this is true.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

euphronius posted:

A David Lynch SW film sounds like the most amazingly enjoyable thing possible.

Dune...

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Metal Loaf posted:

David Lynch is set to direct.

He also had one of the two great stories in Tales Of the Bounty Hunters (the other being the Dengar story, "Payback").

The Dengar story was definitely a great one. I don't like the part of that Boba Fett story where he's talking to Leia in Jabba's Palace though. That whole scene just didn't work for me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I meant now Lynch, not then Lynch. IF that makes any sense. Or Lynch with no restraints. Sort of like INLAND EMPIRE but actually about the Empire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lynch was offered Return Of the Jedi but he turned it down in favour of Dune.

Epi Lepi posted:

The Dengar story was definitely a great one. I don't like the part of that Boba Fett story where he's talking to Leia in Jabba's Palace though. That whole scene just didn't work for me.

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. That's the one where Jabba hands Leia over to Fett for the night and he spends the whole time pontificating about how sex outside marriage is immoral, isn't it?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Metal Loaf posted:

Ah, yes, I forgot about that. That's the one where Jabba hands Leia over to Fett for the night and he spends the whole time pontificating about how sex outside marriage is immoral, isn't it?

People who write about Star Wars are the last people who should write about sex in any context.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You see, you can't just have a bad guy anymore. The bad guy actually has to be a good guy who does bad things with a code of honor because 14 year olds

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

VanSandman posted:

People who write about Star Wars are the last people who should write about sex in any context.

So are you saying there should be no more Star Wars at all?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You might say Fett has been... Fettishized.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Metal Loaf posted:

You might say Fett has been... Fettishized.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh god, that's terrible. I found the Bounty Hunter back stab chart though:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Just pretend that Han or Lando is telling the stories.

According to the canon, that's pretty much what it all is. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor lays it out for the original trilogy crew, and the old website Databank did it for the prequel stuff. It is all in universe "Holoflicks", propaganda, and pulp stories that get pumped out and the heroes reap royalties from. Lando sold his rights and set up Han with the guy to sell his rights to, Leia has it done for propaganda pieces (hence why she has the fewest "wacky hijinks"), and Luke gets conned into signing the rights to his stories away (by Lorz Geptun, the grifter and head of security from Shatterpoint). The prequel stuff is also propaganda (first for the war, then to rehabilitate the image of the Jedi by the Alliance) by people like Paxi Sylo

So yeah. Explains a lot. The Traviss stuff is Imperial propaganda to defame the Jedi. The bug orgies are the in-universe version of Nailin' Palin. Every twit out there facing down Vader and beating him like a chump is like how every scientist character is compared to Einstein. Hoth is Omaha Beach. "Stole th death star plans" is "Washington slept here". Thrawn conquering 100 billion star systems with 200 dreadnoughts is pro Imperial propaganda. Etc etc etc.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

Not in TftE, I don't think, but I may be mistaken. There was a short story by Zahn involving Thrawn dressing up as Kast and hiring a bunch of mercenaries to take out some crime lord without it looking like the Empire was the one behind it. It was actually not bad, but I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head.

Actually it was back and forth between Zahn and Stackpole.

IIRC It's basically Hal Horn and Corran Horn playing the cops trying to shut down a smuggling ring at the semi-behest of the Empire. I don't remember all of the details but it ends with the Horns storming a Mafia house while Thrawn (as Kast) tricking some flunky into thinking that this is his ticket to the BIG TIME, only to shoot him in the gut.

I will say that the whole "Stole the death star plans" thing is quite confusing to me. So, Han Solo's 3 book crush is part of it, Kyle Katarn stole part of it on a different planet, and Tyra Sarkin from Wraith Squadron is from the planet of Death Star Plans.

Oh and there's two other characters who were involved.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Calax posted:

Actually it was back and forth between Zahn and Stackpole.

Oh, right. To the surprise of probably nobody at this point, my brain had blocked out the Stackpole stuff. I could have sworn that the secondary characters involved Jorj Car'das again, post-Outbound-Flight.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Fried Chicken posted:

According to the canon, that's pretty much what it all is. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor lays it out for the original trilogy crew, and the old website Databank did it for the prequel stuff. It is all in universe "Holoflicks", propaganda, and pulp stories that get pumped out and the heroes reap royalties from.

I imagine a series of Holonet A&E and History Channel shows full of 'experts' trying to debunk and reveal the truth of all these Star Wars set years after the events of all the films and books, when maybe Jedi have and Force users have gone into the shadows, would be a fun watch and all sorts of meta.

Treat the films and books as documentaries that are getting in-universe critiqued as completely inaccurate to the events of the actual universe.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Or just say 'gently caress it, Star Wars' and go do something else. Up to you.

May I suggest reading Darthipedia to rewind?

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

I imagine a series of Holonet A&E and History Channel shows full of 'experts' trying to debunk and reveal the truth of all these Star Wars set years after the events of all the films and books, when maybe Jedi have and Force users have gone into the shadows, would be a fun watch and all sorts of meta.

Treat the films and books as documentaries that are getting in-universe critiqued as completely inaccurate to the events of the actual universe.

... A New Hope= Saving Private Ryan?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or just say 'gently caress it, Star Wars' and go do something else. Up to you.

May I suggest reading Darthipedia to rewind?

Darthipedia posted:

Pino, also known as The Birdinator, was the evil Force-sensitive, Dutch cyborg created by Darth Elmo to fight against Gunter during his reign of terror on Yo-Mamaopolis.

This reads like 5th graders with mad libs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ursine Asylum posted:

So pretty much like most of the EU and the prequels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

That sounds like the EU to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know it's silly, but I never get tired of the "IF LANDO DIES, I'LL DESTROY YOUR PLANET!" cover.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

jivjov posted:

Star Wars Beyond the Films is pretty good. One of the hosts (Mark) can be pretty hyperactive, but the other host (Nathan) keeps him in check.

If you like Star Wars collectibles, Star Wars Action News is amazing. They're a husband and wife team of collectors, everything from Hasbro action figures to the fancy statues and prop replicas. They also have a sister show Republic Forces Radio Network that discusses each episode of Clone Wars as it airs. Their other sister show isn't Star Wars related, but its the best Movie Review podcast I've even listened to, Now Playing Podcast.

This is from a while back, but thank you for those suggestions. Republic Forces Radio Network is now a staple on my MP3 player.

For those who are interested: Jason and Jimmy have their new podcast, Rebel Force Radio, up at http://www.shotglassdigital.com/artist/rebelforceradio . It's pretty much the same format as the old ForceCast, including Clone Wars reviews (under the new title Clone Wars Declassified). If there is any noticable change, they seem a tiny bit more vocal with their criticisms (occasionally you get the feeling that being too critical of Lucas was discouraged at theforce.net), but they've always been more on the fanboy than on the haters side of things anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dave Syndrome posted:

This is from a while back, but thank you for those suggestions. Republic Forces Radio Network is now a staple on my MP3 player.

Back in season 1 and 2 of Clone Wars they used to have random listeners on as review panelists, I kinda miss that approach. That said, having a consistent group of hosts is pretty nice. If you're going through the back catalog, I'm actually on 2 old episodes, the one for Trespass from season 1 and the one for Senate Murders from season 2.

Inspector Detector
Dec 13, 2008
INCAPABLE OF WRITING ANYTHING THAT ISN'T THE PLATONIC IDEAL OF "BEING A HOSTILE, SELF-IMPORTANT, OBNOXIOUS DICK"

Nobody likes you, so kindly fuck the hell off.
Putting in a request for the Bounty Hunter Wars Betrayal Flowchart for an OP on a Star Wars Collaborative Storytelling Game in TradGames. You are all invited in fact this thread directly inspired me and it's who I am pandering to. Even if you're not interested, that chart makes me laugh my rear end off every time I see it and I haven't in about a year.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Inspector Detector posted:

Putting in a request for the Bounty Hunter Wars Betrayal Flowchart for an OP on a Star Wars Collaborative Storytelling Game in TradGames. You are all invited in fact this thread directly inspired me and it's who I am pandering to. Even if you're not interested, that chart makes me laugh my rear end off every time I see it and I haven't in about a year.

It's right on this page

Inspector Detector
Dec 13, 2008
INCAPABLE OF WRITING ANYTHING THAT ISN'T THE PLATONIC IDEAL OF "BEING A HOSTILE, SELF-IMPORTANT, OBNOXIOUS DICK"

General Battuta posted:

It's right on this page

Ah this was really meant to happen tonight then wasn't it, thanks.

Inspector Detector
Dec 13, 2008

And I present what is hopefully the most words I'll ever compose on Star Wars: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3533246

I've only really lurked these threads but it wouldn't have been possible without you guys.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dave Syndrome posted:

For those who are interested: Jason and Jimmy have their new podcast, Rebel Force Radio, up at http://www.shotglassdigital.com/artist/rebelforceradio . It's pretty much the same format as the old ForceCast, including Clone Wars reviews (under the new title Clone Wars Declassified). If there is any noticable change, they seem a tiny bit more vocal with their criticisms (occasionally you get the feeling that being too critical of Lucas was discouraged at theforce.net), but they've always been more on the fanboy than on the haters side of things anyway.

I decided to check out this podcast after you posted this, so I downloaded the episode from February 8th. They spent the first 5-10 minutes talking about the Fallout Boy reunion. They spent the next 5 minutes investigating who burped on a different podcast. Then they had a fake eulogy for the Duchess of Mandalore where they weren't anywhere near as funny as they thought they were (one running gag was how to pronounce Pacifism). But hey, at least it was finally about Star Wars.

Is it always this terrible? I couldn't believe how much they talked about Fallout Boy, which they apparently did because they're friends with the drummer. I stopped listening about 20 minutes in because they hadn't actually gotten around to talking about anything even remotely interesting, and had barely mentioned anything Star Wars related. I'm not sure I'll try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

I decided to check out this podcast after you posted this, so I downloaded the episode from February 8th. They spent the first 5-10 minutes talking about the Fallout Boy reunion. They spent the next 5 minutes investigating who burped on a different podcast. Then they had a fake eulogy for the Duchess of Mandalore where they weren't anywhere near as funny as they thought they were (one running gag was how to pronounce Pacifism). But hey, at least it was finally about Star Wars.

Is it always this terrible? I couldn't believe how much they talked about Fallout Boy, which they apparently did because they're friends with the drummer. I stopped listening about 20 minutes in because they hadn't actually gotten around to talking about anything even remotely interesting, and had barely mentioned anything Star Wars related. I'm not sure I'll try again.

I'm assuming you checked out Rebel Force Radio, since there is no Feb 8th episode of RFRN. If you want a dedicated Clone Wars show, give RFRN a try (and here's a handy link to their site) Other than host introductions (in which the hosts will mention whatever other projects they're up to), its all Star Wars all the time there.