Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wasn't Mituna with Kurloz when he got burnt out? Seems to me like Kurloz might have voodooed him into hurling the moon, since i think Carlos The Creepy Clown has been in on a lot of stuff for a while.

The moon theory DOES make sense though, since it'd be weird if the trolls didn't go God Tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I hope all the Alpha and Beta kids being god-tier doesn't result in any non-god tiered trolls being "left behind" in relevance once everyone meets back together.

I can totally see Hussie pulling out some bizarre mechanism for which some of the trolls go god tier. Conveniently enough, the four aspects we know of all tie into trolls who are still alive. (Or half-alive.)

But, that said I think a lot of Karkat and Terezi's respective arcs will be dealing with getting "left behind" anyway. They've both voiced concerns that they're not really relevant or helpful with all the gods runnin' around now.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to assume the clockwerk majjjjjicksksk they're infused with will be ultimately a bad thing. Unless this is a purely visual callback and the method of the explosion is meaningless. I really can't keep up with which callbacks mean something and which don't.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Considering Rose and Dave don't seem to have any Green Sun after effects, it's a pretty safe bet that Jane and Jake aren't going to be majjick'd, nor will Dirk and Roxy develop Geme-psi powers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Farfetched horror theory: the glow fades to show the kids in their god tier outfits.

They each draw back their godhoods to reveal their alternating billiard ball eyes.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dad's okay, right? He wasn't on Derse's moon, he was on Derse proper, so unless he's decided to bust out to deal with his daughter's misbehaving he should still be safe and sound.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

Farfetched horror theory: the glow fades to show the kids in their god tier outfits.

They each draw back their godhoods to reveal their alternating billiard ball eyes.

Oh God, what if the original kids show up in the B2 session only to find themselves pitted against the alpha kids? That would actually be pretty great and poignant, and now would be a great time for a reveal of that kind to happen.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

Dad's okay, right? He wasn't on Derse's moon, he was on Derse proper, so unless he's decided to bust out to deal with his daughter's misbehaving he should still be safe and sound.

I'm inclined to say yes he is still alive if only because having Jane think he's dead when he is still alive, and then die offscreen before she learns any different seems really weird from a narrative perspective.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dorroile posted:

Wasn't Mituna with Kurloz when he got burnt out? Seems to me like Kurloz might have voodooed him into hurling the moon, since i think Carlos The Creepy Clown has been in on a lot of stuff for a while.

The moon theory DOES make sense though, since it'd be weird if the trolls didn't go God Tier.
Honestly the theory doesn't make sense for a couple reasons. For starters, throwing it into the B2 session is not so simple as it is made out to be. It would need to pass through A2, A1 and A2. And A1 doesn't even exist anymore because of The Scratch, so how it could pass through before without any of the kids noticing a second prospit flying through their session is bizarre.

Along with that, I don't like the idea that it would be weird for the trolls to not ascend. Why would it be so weird? Does everyone suddenly need to go God Tier now to be worthwhile to the comic? Being a God Tier doesn't necessarily mean you're undefeatable, Terezi easily killed Vriska and Bec Noir made quick work of John too. Lord English is clearly setting up his final enemies to be the eight kids and the trolls are there for the ride.

Becoming a God Tier is (or rather used to be) a really huge deal in the comic. It was the ultimate powerup at the sacrifice of facing death. The big thing is that anyone could go God Tier at any moment they wanted to during the session. Doc Scratch say as much to Rose during their conversation and we see the conflict with Dave and Terezi as well when she tells him to just kill his doomed self on the bed. If everyone and their grandma went God Tier because "why not" then it cheapens the value of going God Tier. Not to say that everyone faces their death to go God Tier, since John and Jade got killed on pure chance and put on the bed, but for the most part that is the idea of becoming a God Tier. If it was as easy as dying on a bed, then it wouldn't be so rare. So many God Tiers in one session is not supposed to be normal.

Really if this Mituna moon theory is just about a way to make the trolls go God Tier, I think it's a very lame theory and sincerely hope it won't be coming true. The trolls are not the focus of the story and there is no reason for them to ascend to stay relevant.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Huh? Once it passes out of the incipisphere and into the furthest ring, anything is game. It could go into any session that ever has or will exist in any order.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Nate RFB posted:

Huh? Once it passes out of the incipisphere and into the furthest ring, anything is game. It could go into any session that ever has or will exist in any order.
The theory assumes that it is moving in a linear fashion from my understanding of it, like how the meteor Aradia and Sollux catapulted is going directly to B2's session. Otherwise the idea that Kurloz would make Mituna toss it into the furthest ring with no direction and just hope it shows up in the B2 session really makes no sense. Why would he set that up and not have assurance that it would go where it is intended to go?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

lotus circle posted:

The theory assumes that it is moving in a linear fashion from my understanding of it, like how the meteor Aradia and Sollux catapulted is going directly to B2's session. Otherwise the idea that Kurloz would make Mituna toss it into the furthest ring with no direction and just hope it shows up in the B2 session really makes no sense. Why would he set that up and not have assurance that it would go where it is intended to go?

Nate RFB's point was that there's no reason at all to assume that zooming straight in the correct direction, which Mituna could "know" for any number of reasons (whether it's Kurloz or something else), would take it through anything but ages and ages of unoccupied tentacle space before it hit the B2 session.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

lotus circle posted:

Honestly the theory doesn't make sense for a couple reasons. For starters, throwing it into the B2 session is not so simple as it is made out to be. It would need to pass through A2, A1 and A2. And A1 doesn't even exist anymore because of The Scratch, so how it could pass through before without any of the kids noticing a second prospit flying through their session is bizarre.

Along with that, I don't like the idea that it would be weird for the trolls to not ascend. Why would it be so weird? Does everyone suddenly need to go God Tier now to be worthwhile to the comic? Being a God Tier doesn't necessarily mean you're undefeatable, Terezi easily killed Vriska and Bec Noir made quick work of John too. Lord English is clearly setting up his final enemies to be the eight kids and the trolls are there for the ride.

This isn't how this works, as has been said. Though how he knows which direction to go in without some kind of green-sun beacon beats me. I guess maybe Lord English did it.

quote:

So many God Tiers in one session is not supposed to be normal.
Isn't it? how do you know that? Could be that in a normal session (which we haven't seen.) Everyone growing by becoming God tier is normal.

quote:

Really if this Mituna moon theory is just about a way to make the trolls go God Tier, I think it's a very lame theory and sincerely hope it won't be coming true. The trolls are not the focus of the story and there is no reason for them to ascend to stay relevant.

Aside from the trolls not being the focus of the story (I'd argue the Meteor trolls, Karkat especially are at LEAST if not more important than the alpha kids) I mostly agree with this last sentiment, though. I'm not a huge fan of this theory and this isn't a shounen battle manga, characters don't need to have some kind of badass fighting skill to stay relevant.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

lotus circle posted:

>linear
>furthest ring

These are not concepts that mesh well. The place is a giant clusterfuck of horrifying tentacled ur-monstrosities, littered with bubbles filled with the ghosts of everyone who ever mattered to you or to anyone you know or to anyone THEY know and all their alternate selves. The only reason PM and Jack Noir can get through alive is because they can follow the Makeout Meteor, which is specifically being guided by a Seer of Light to handily end up in exactly the right place. Attempting to apply logic to the Furthest Ring, especially logic based on its spatial layout, is laughable from start to finish.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Freudian posted:

Attempting to apply logic to the Furthest Ring, especially logic based on its spatial layout, is laughable from start to finish.

Note: Within the Furthest Ring you may very well reach the finish before you reach the start. Also you will probably pass yourself on the way there.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I really dislike the Mituna moon theory for pretty much all the reasons that have been addressed -- this isn't a shounen fighting manga, it cheapens the very real issue of facing death that all the godtiers except John have dealt with directly, and it just seems like a cheap way to try and ensure the trolls will also get to godtier. I wouldn't be shocked if they did, through some of-yet-unknown method, but the moon theory? Ehhh.

Also I always got the impression Kurloz was all but directly involved in the incident that changed Mituna, and it being the moon thing either means he wasn't or means he was being shockingly selfless. How would doing that serve Lord English? All Kurloz seems to care about is priming the afterlife for Lord English to destroy it, why would he give half a gently caress about the A2 trolls being able to ascend, especially considering it would give them more of a chance while fighting LE?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

dumb brunette posted:

Also I always got the impression Kurloz was all but directly involved in the incident that changed Mituna, and it being the moon thing either means he wasn't or means he was being shockingly selfless. How would doing that serve Lord English? All Kurloz seems to care about is priming the afterlife for Lord English to destroy it, why would he give half a gently caress about the A2 trolls being able to ascend, especially considering it would give them more of a chance while fighting LE?

All signs point to Mituna's incident being a successful attempt to prevent Kurloz from doing something sinister.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Ariong posted:

All signs point to Mituna's incident being a successful attempt to prevent Kurloz from doing something sinister.

But again, how would this involve the moon? What could he do to it that's so sinister Mituna would fling it into another session that they probably didn't even know would eventually exist?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't know what basis outside of fanciful daydreams there might be for this so-called Mituna Moon Theory (god, that sounds so dumb), but the only reason I could see to want it to be true is to have a Prospit moon around since the poor things just keep getting destroyed. :smith:

The trolls aren't going to become God Tier. They aren't really important. The story's about the kids; the trolls are secondary characters. (That's why so many of them have been killed unceremoniously.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't know what basis outside of fanciful daydreams there might be for this so-called Mituna Moon Theory (god, that sounds so dumb), but the only reason I could see to want it to be true is to have a Prospit moon around since the poor things just keep getting destroyed. :smith:

I was arguing against a couple weaker arguments against it above, but there actually isn't much of a reason to assume it's true, really, other than wishful thinking. There's room for it in the story as it stands now, all the "technical" obstacles have potential solutions, but there isn't any real positive evidence in its favour.

I wouldn't agree that more god trolls would inevitably be narratively unsatisfying or unproductive, if anyone were putting it quite as strongly as that, but I do agree that it's not exactly necessary either.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

The trolls aren't going to become God Tier. They aren't really important. The story's about the kids; the trolls are secondary characters. (That's why so many of them have been killed unceremoniously.)

Karkat and his little coterie are pretty much the second set of main characters (out of three). Their numbers have been pared down, but I wouldn't call the ones who remain secondary.

I also doubt they'll be going God Tier, though (and seriously question that it has anything to do with Mituna).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Of the trolls who remain, there's really just Karkat and Terezi (who have some significance), Kanaya (who's got a good claim to relevance through being Rose's girlfriend if nothing else, although she has her own arc) and Gamzee (up to his shame-globes in plot relevance by helping Caliborn out). The rest of the trolls, whether dead or alive or half-dead or whatever aren't especially important and are also conveniently separated from the aforementioned four. Karkat, Terezi and Kanaya don't really need combat power to remain plot-relevant, and Gamzee is an unkillable clown maybe-godtier who'll probably be a boss-fight at some point anyway.

Actually, there's a question - if Gamzee is pretty firmly in the villain camp now, being allied with Caliborn and whatnot, who's going to take him down by the end of the story? Karkat going to finish the job?

Android Blues posted:

Oh God, what if the original kids show up in the B2 session only to find themselves pitted against the alpha kids? That would actually be pretty great and poignant, and now would be a great time for a reveal of that kind to happen.

I have to admit, it might make sense for the Alpha kids to go through a mind-controlled phase in order to delay when they can next stop and chat with each other, since their personal development was cruising right along until they died. Without something to interrupt them they might wrap up their character arcs before the beta-kids can even get here.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dolash posted:

Of the trolls who remain, there's really just Karkat and Terezi (who have some significance), Kanaya (who's got a good claim to relevance through being Rose's girlfriend if nothing else, although she has her own arc) and Gamzee (up to his shame-globes in plot relevance by helping Caliborn out). The rest of the trolls, whether dead or alive or half-dead or whatever aren't especially important and are also conveniently separated from the aforementioned four. Karkat, Terezi and Kanaya don't really need combat power to remain plot-relevant, and Gamzee is an unkillable clown maybe-godtier who'll probably be a boss-fight at some point anyway.
Haha, what? The Thieves are leading the End of All Things on a chase through the afterlife, using the wounds he inflicts in the fabric of reality as guideposts to find a fabled treasure. That sounds important and relevant as balls. Balls are important and relevant btw.

Bein' dead ain't an excuse for not doin' poo poo.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

So what's the point of Jack/Condence helping them go god tier when they can basically wipe the floor with them?

For the Prospit dudes, Caliborn said he wanted Jake to go God-tier so he'd be a tougher opponent. For the Derse crew, we're not too sure. Could be the Condesce acting on LE's orders. Could be the Condesce trying to level up the players in a bid to pull a gotcha on LE (she's already attempted to enlist Roxy's help once)

Dolash posted:

Actually, there's a question - if Gamzee is pretty firmly in the villain camp now, being allied with Caliborn and whatnot, who's going to take him down by the end of the story? Karkat going to finish the job?

Still unconvinced he is. He's so opaque in all his motivations that we don't know what side he's on.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bobulus posted:

Still unconvinced he is. He's so opaque in all his motivations that we don't know what side he's on.

He's on his own side. He's never been on any other.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Gamzee is a Bard, so he'll always be something of a wild card, but you can't say that Caliborn doesn't have some degree of control over him considering how many feelings jams he's had with Li'l Cal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Gamzee is on all the sides. All of them.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

I wouldn't agree that more god trolls would inevitably be narratively unsatisfying or unproductive, if anyone were putting it quite as strongly as that, but I do agree that it's not exactly necessary either.

Not necessarily unsatisfying, but certainly superfluous. There are reasons to have the old and new kids on equal ground. The trolls don't need to be on that level.

I'd welcome a Ghost Tier Equius as much as anybody else here, but I don't see any real reason for it to happen.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 9, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Dolash posted:

Karkat going to finish the job?

Karkat already took Gamzee out behind the woodshed and gave him a big hug, following Johns advice to Jade. Now he can only turn to Dave's advice.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

dumb brunette posted:

I really dislike the Mituna moon theory for pretty much all the reasons that have been addressed -- this isn't a shounen fighting manga, it cheapens the very real issue of facing death that all the godtiers except John have dealt with directly, and it just seems like a cheap way to try and ensure the trolls will also get to godtier. I wouldn't be shocked if they did, through some of-yet-unknown method, but the moon theory? Ehhh.

Also, you'd think the other trolls would have noticed. There would have been, you know, some mention of Mituna having inexplicably rocketed their Prospit off into deep space. Something like a fifth of the whole openbound flash set took place in the alpha trolls' memories of Prospit, so it's not like they paid so little attention to the place that they would have missed it. Especially considering that even in Karkat's session, where poo poo like fooling around on the moons was heavily discouraged, literally everyone except Karkat was having a party there long before month six, and the alpha trolls were in their session for six times that long and spent most of that time focusing on precisely that sort of nonsense.

Byb's moon theory is ridiculous nonsense. Frankly, I'd say it's even stupider than his continued, dead-serious insistence that Dirk is going to fall in love with Gamzee and live out the rest of his days happily married to the troll.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Literally Sharks posted:

Byb's moon theory is ridiculous nonsense. Frankly, I'd say it's even stupider than his continued, dead-serious insistence that Dirk is going to fall in love with Gamzee and live out the rest of his days happily married to the troll.

Ahaha, really? I've never really paid any attention to his shipping talk because I assumed it'd be kinda loony (as shipping talk rather tends to be) but I didn't think it'd be that far out. As for the moon idea, well, it's not the likeliest idea I've ever heard; I don't really remember the details of the Openbound stuff well enough to be sure of how the timing was with Mituna's troubles compared to the end of the session, though. If it happened quite a while before everyone died, then you're completely right. If all of that came to a head just before the end, then maybe not so much.

Koosin Around
Feb 9, 2013

by angerbot

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Would quest beds even work if they'd been used before? Though I'm pretty sure there's no overlap between the god tiers of A1 and the remaining trolls anyway.

Even so, I had always been under the impression that quest beds were sort of meant for the respective players only, and if, say, Arquius died on Roxy's bed he wouldn't go god tier, he'd just die.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm going to assume the clockwerk majjjjjicksksk they're infused with will be ultimately a bad thing. Unless this is a purely visual callback and the method of the explosion is meaningless. I really can't keep up with which callbacks mean something and which don't.

I think the Handmaiden was the only one with clockwork majyyks, because Damara was the Witch of Time in the first place. HIC probably didn't get any time powers but psychic powers attributed to tinkering with her blood. Jack isn't really Jack right now, but even so megagiga lasers don't constitute a timey thing.

Edit: ugh, read that all out of context, but I'll keep the post there for another day.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 9, 2013

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I have no idea what's going on in that picture, but whatever it is I'm against it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Those aren't even pants.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Update.

Looking good, kids. Jake's crotch zoom in is inspiring.

k5josh
Nov 23, 2011

Glorious. Thank you, Mr. Hussie. Truly a gift for the ages.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Okay the fully rendered Rogue outfit is fantastic.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

k5josh posted:

Glorious. Thank you, Mr. Hussie. Truly a gift for the ages.

Someone is getting that as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Just you watch.

Also yes, Rogue outfit is very, very nice.oh god that sounded horrible I'm so sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yep, Rogue outfit owns.