Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I'll be picking up this baby in a few weeks.

Gibson J-45 Purevoice

Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey everybody check out my brand new Gretsch Electromatic!
Picked it up this weekend, I love it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
My store is running a sale until the end of the week, anything new and in stock is 15% off, tax only collected in NY. PM me or email at Jeff.galperin@samashmusic.com

I'll have some pics of my newest grab, one of the very last NOS Charvel San Dimas MIA guitars :)

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Suddenly I bought this, now I have no money.

maximadigital
Jul 24, 2008

semi-iconic
Very nice, congrats. Before I picked up my jcustom the S5470F in Sapphire Blue was one of the strongest contenders. Would still like to own one.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
It's really awesome, but it seems I have a dead fret or something at the 15th fret on the G-string. I'll have to talk to the shop about it. Otherwise it's totally cool.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Boz0r posted:

Suddenly I bought this, now I have no money.

That's gorgeous. I love it.
I only own RGs, never owned an S before; but I've always thought they were beautiful.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

qball posted:

I'll be picking up this baby in a few weeks.

Gibson J-45 Purevoice

Can't wait.

I hate your guts.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Took back the Martin with the wonky neck and swapped it for this much nicer Taylor GC3. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I think it was worth it. My first USA made guitar. :)

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
Copped a Saffire 6 and Rode NT1000. Loving them so far.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

HollisBrown posted:

I hate your guts.

I can live with that.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Sadsack posted:

That Not-SG looks fantastic. Hopefully it'll balance a lot better than a proper SG. Guild have audio samples up on their website: http://www.guildguitars.com/en-GB/instruments/details/?partno=3791000866#simpleContained3

"Not-SG." Bish plz.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Hope these namedrop posts ain't against the rules but I ordered one of those nice and wide guitar straps that were on sale back in november '12 from GFS. Turns out it's been taking this long to ship because I hadn't entered my home number in the (international) address.

GFS contacted me and asked me how to proceed. Well long story short, I wanted it reshipped to the right address, but since it's the start of the new semester I'd already blown through my budget for this month just buying books :( I asked the support person in question whether I could have it re-shipped in a month, because that's when I can pay again. They sent me an e-mail back saying they'd make an exception and waived the new shipping costs :D

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Took back the Martin with the wonky neck and swapped it for this much nicer Taylor GC3. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but I think it was worth it. My first USA made guitar. :)

Right on!! For a long time I disliked Taylors purely because of their association with modern country artists and assorted bro rockers. At some point though, possibly while looking for a used Gibson J-45 I could afford I broke down and admitted to myself that every mid-level Taylor I've held sounded like the best new Gibson I've heard, and played better than them too. They're really nice guitars.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

no dad im not gay! posted:

Right on!! For a long time I disliked Taylors purely because of their association with modern country artists and assorted bro rockers. At some point though, possibly while looking for a used Gibson J-45 I could afford I broke down and admitted to myself that every mid-level Taylor I've held sounded like the best new Gibson I've heard, and played better than them too. They're really nice guitars.

It is really, really nice. The tone is excellent all over the neck, and I just love the feel of the neck and the body. It's a drat fine instrument, and it came with a proper hardshell case that fits it like a glove. Plus, the neck is straight as an arrow, action is nice and low with no buzzing anywhere. Definitely a good investment. Makes me want to stop recording so drat many electric guitar rock songs and go acoustic for a while. :D

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

There are just too many drat knobs on this thing but it sounds a drat sight better than the FAB Chorus I had three years ago.

The TS9-30th next to it is not so new a purchase. Reasonably happy with it but I'd really like to play with a Damage Control Blues OD for a while.

The AC30 behind it all is also a new purchase and is too loud for the two bedroom apartment I am living in, and for the two bedroom duplex I am moving into but for those couple times a day when my neighbors will be gone? Life will be good. (I guess I'll also be using it at my drummer's every other week but w/e).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

It is really, really nice. The tone is excellent all over the neck, and I just love the feel of the neck and the body. It's a drat fine instrument, and it came with a proper hardshell case that fits it like a glove. Plus, the neck is straight as an arrow, action is nice and low with no buzzing anywhere. Definitely a good investment. Makes me want to stop recording so drat many electric guitar rock songs and go acoustic for a while. :D

I bought a Taylor off of Craigslist a few years back, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the last acoustic guitar I ever buy. It plays great, and sounds just lovely on tape.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Bought myself a "congrats, you got a job!" present.

Yamaha FG730S. Liked it a lot, it was in my price range, and the rosewood back and sides give it a nice umph in the bass that I really like.

Until it gets here, here's a stock photo

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

dakana posted:

Bought myself a "congrats, you got a job!" present.

Yamaha FG730S. Liked it a lot, it was in my price range, and the rosewood back and sides give it a nice umph in the bass that I really like.

Until it gets here, here's a stock photo

Might have to pull the trigger on this as well. The neck on my LTD Xtone is just beyond hosed. I guess I shouldn't be surprised for what i paid for it but I expected it to last more than 8 months.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm really quite happy with my old Ovation. What does a 'Glenn Campbell' bowl translate to, anyhow? Dreadnought? It's very deep. But comfortable. And resistant to being dinged up.

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Might have to pull the trigger on this as well. The neck on my LTD Xtone is just beyond hosed. I guess I shouldn't be surprised for what i paid for it but I expected it to last more than 8 months.

I've been pretty impressed with most of the Yamaha acoustics that I've had a chance to play. They usually sound nice and they hold up pretty well over time.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Guess who just got lucky.

:unsmigghh:

donut
Feb 4, 2001

New practice amp (Vox AC4TV) for at home plus I put together baby's first pedalboard because I finally have enough of them for setup to be a pain in the rear end. Obviously the Fender footswitch isn't for this amp but I need it for my live rig (Hot Rod Deville 410). The Vox is pretty sweet, one of those trendy little tube amps with barely any knobs. Volume, Tone, and a wattage selector, 4W, 1W or 1/4W for tube breakup at any level. Even at 4W super clean sounds at any useful level don't really happen, but that's kind of the point and I'm quite happy with it.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
13 years ago, I had the greatest goddamn guitar in the world. A Gibson ES-135.

Sadly, an amp died, I had to sell it to buy a new amp for an upcoming gig.

Five years later, I traded a friend the amp for a Les Paul Studio.

And then some years later, I traded that Les Paul Studio for a Telecaster.

Two years ago, I traded a guy the Telecaster + cash for a Les Paul Traditional.

Today, I traded a guy, my Les Paul Trad for an exact copy of the original guitar, the ES-135. To offset the $ diff, he also threw in a Les Paul Studio, that is an exact copy of the Studio I had.

That's some goddamn crazy guitar karma guitarma poo poo going on.

LOOK AT THIS GODDAMN HOTNESS. That finish is worn off from the sweat of an old black bluesman named Chicago Joe.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Would anyone care to talk me into or out of buying one of these Indonesian-made JEM70Vs?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=295&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=1&series_id=62

I've read the threads over at Jemsite and am aware of a few issues that are well known: Some have necks that are angled so the treble strings and bass strings aren't equidistant from the edge of the neck, some have finish blemishes, some have nuts that are a tad too high, some need fretwork, and a few have even been reported to have a small insect caught in the clearcoat.

So, we have a clear QC problem, but it's been quite a while since this "Premium" line JEM came out and I'm hoping that QC has improved. The "Premium" builders at the Indonesia factory are supposedly trained by the J Custom luthiers. The instruments are made of American Basswood (no info on what grade), and the hardware (pickups and bridge) are the same as the Made In Japan models, although I have read the tuners are not. Another difference is the neck radius: 400mm as opposed to 430mm.

I love the seafoam color and think it would make a great little sister to my old JEM77FP, but for $1,399.oo I'd expect an instrument that didn't come with any of the possible problems listed above. On the other hand, I'd really love to score one and put a Crunch Lab in the bridge. Let it be a bit of a closet queen. I find the instrument itself highly appealing.

Here is the JemSite thread (it gets rather contentious, as the OP is a bit off) if you're interested.

I would be ordering online from Zzounds for the payment plan, and they've been great to me so far. I will tell them up front that anything my luthier can't fix on the cheap means I exchange it until I get one that's just right or close to it.

JEM/Ibanez fans, would you do it?

The last indo Ibanez I bought was this RG471AH for $400.oo, which needed a serious fret leveling from about the 13th fret on up; but I got that done for $70 and put I DiMarzio EJ humuckers and a True Velvet in it, and now it's pure joy to play, sounds fantastic, and I think it's gorgeous:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Premium line all seems pretty solid to me, so I'd go for it if you want it. I don't know if I'd pay as much as the asking price for them, but I usually only buy used guitars so I'm pretty biased.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

magnificent7 posted:

13 years ago, I had the greatest goddamn guitar in the world. A Gibson ES-135.

Sadly, an amp died, I had to sell it to buy a new amp for an upcoming gig.

Five years later, I traded a friend the amp for a Les Paul Studio.

And then some years later, I traded that Les Paul Studio for a Telecaster.

Two years ago, I traded a guy the Telecaster + cash for a Les Paul Traditional.

Today, I traded a guy, my Les Paul Trad for an exact copy of the original guitar, the ES-135. To offset the $ diff, he also threw in a Les Paul Studio, that is an exact copy of the Studio I had.

That's some goddamn crazy guitar karma guitarma poo poo going on.

LOOK AT THIS GODDAMN HOTNESS. That finish is worn off from the sweat of an old black bluesman named Chicago Joe.

This the one you just picked up?

Nice. A 135/7 has been on my GAS list for a long long time. Entertaining an offer to trade my Jeff Tweedy for a blueburst Private Reserve 137, but probably won't.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Mag 7 that's the coolest guitar go round story I think I've ever heard. Congrats.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nrr posted:

Mag 7 that's the coolest guitar go round story I think I've ever heard. Congrats.
I know! I can't wait to play it at the gig tomorrow night.

And I saw the 137s, but those don't have the P90s/P100s. But they're also supposed to be better quality than the 135s. But I don't care. This motherfucker is the poo poo.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Would anyone care to talk me into or out of buying one of these Indonesian-made JEM70Vs?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=295&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=1&series_id=62

I've read the threads over at Jemsite and am aware of a few issues that are well known: Some have necks that are angled so the treble strings and bass strings aren't equidistant from the edge of the neck, some have finish blemishes, some have nuts that are a tad too high, some need fretwork, and a few have even been reported to have a small insect caught in the clearcoat.

So, we have a clear QC problem, but it's been quite a while since this "Premium" line JEM came out and I'm hoping that QC has improved. The "Premium" builders at the Indonesia factory are supposedly trained by the J Custom luthiers. The instruments are made of American Basswood (no info on what grade), and the hardware (pickups and bridge) are the same as the Made In Japan models, although I have read the tuners are not. Another difference is the neck radius: 400mm as opposed to 430mm.

I love the seafoam color and think it would make a great little sister to my old JEM77FP, but for $1,399.oo I'd expect an instrument that didn't come with any of the possible problems listed above. On the other hand, I'd really love to score one and put a Crunch Lab in the bridge. Let it be a bit of a closet queen. I find the instrument itself highly appealing.

Here is the JemSite thread (it gets rather contentious, as the OP is a bit off) if you're interested.

I would be ordering online from Zzounds for the payment plan, and they've been great to me so far. I will tell them up front that anything my luthier can't fix on the cheap means I exchange it until I get one that's just right or close to it.

JEM/Ibanez fans, would you do it?

The last indo Ibanez I bought was this RG471AH for $400.oo, which needed a serious fret leveling from about the 13th fret on up; but I got that done for $70 and put I DiMarzio EJ humuckers and a True Velvet in it, and now it's pure joy to play, sounds fantastic, and I think it's gorgeous:

We had the same issues at my shop, kept on sending back JEM's until we got the right one. We had one with a evident crack in the neck pocket. The guitar sounds and feels great, once you find the right one. The over hang was more prominent on the treble side.

If you want a deal and the same kind of payment plan that Zzounds offers, feel free to hit me up.

As for new gear, has anyone tried out the new 2013 line of Gibson Les Paul Historics? :swoon: I'm going to make my Gibson rep find me a light weight one with a good flame. Now just to figure out which finish I want. I'm leaning towards Bourbon Burst. Any thoughts?

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 9, 2013

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a Triplett floor harp that I dearly love. However, it's large; it's not portable so much as luggable, and you certainly can't play it in bed.

So I've ordered one of these puppies. They have a preassembled wooden frame for the strings and a cardboard soundbox that you paint and assemble yourself. Fireside Harps have a sweet tone and a surprisingly good reputation in the harp community; this one should make a perfect second harp for me, and allow me to practice my finger exercises in private. I'll post pictures in the thread when I've assembled mine.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

The Grapist posted:

We had the same issues at my shop, kept on sending back JEM's until we got the right one. We had one with a evident crack in the neck pocket. The guitar sounds and feels great, once you find the right one. The over hang was more prominent on the treble side.

If you want a deal and the same kind of payment plan that Zzounds offers, feel free to hit me up.
PM sent.

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
Picked up a 2010 sg special. Love it. Considered getting one of the new sgj models but I prefer the aesthetics of the old faded models.

Edit - table breakage

sailorjosh fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 11, 2013

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
That picture makes me nervous as gently caress. It's only a matter of time before the cat knocks the guitar over. I speak from experience. Those stands are usually fine, but pretty scary with animals or kids running around.

Congrats on the guitar though, and I hope you receive my advice in time to prevent a disaster!

sailorjosh
Apr 23, 2006

Peanut butter, mother fucker.
Haha yeah, I only put them in stands when I'm playing them. Also the foam they use on them can be hazardous to guitar finishes (even poly, I have a strat stained from many years in a stand).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Speaking of, I got another SG this past Thursday.

P90s on the right.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I know Agiles are great (owned two myself) but how are the SX Strat copies?

http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkmnash3ts.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/sr1pegbk.html

I'm looking at either of these. Basically as long as the body and neck are both great then I'd be interested - probably more the sunburst one than the other, since what I really want is a maple necked Strat. I'd be rewiring literally everything.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
These are my only purchases in the past few years, but I went through a half dozen other guitars before ending here (mainly the fact I got into cars).

Mexican Fat Strat

With a pearly gates

This was my father's Washburn. I inherited it when he passed away.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

Revvik posted:

I know Agiles are great (owned two myself) but how are the SX Strat copies?

http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkmnash3ts.html
http://www.rondomusic.com/sr1pegbk.html

I'm looking at either of these. Basically as long as the body and neck are both great then I'd be interested - probably more the sunburst one than the other, since what I really want is a maple necked Strat. I'd be rewiring literally everything.

I haven't owned any SX guitars but have had some cheap copies (Jay Turser brand) from time to time. I've found with the cheap copies that if you replace the electronics and the tuners with high quality stuff, they're pretty good. That said, used quality stuff can be found for pretty cheap without the need for upgrades.

EDIT: also, the necks can have really lovely fret work on the cheap guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
If you buy an SX, you should be ready to replace the entire suspension, the electronics, and probably widen the pickup and trem routs.

That's what I've got in the works on the one at my place. They're solid pieces of wood, but that's really it.