Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Oh dear. This reminds me of how I had to stop playing Action Doom 2 after all the uncomfortable homophobic stuff started in chapter 2.

It also stopped there. It's just at the end of the first level, with the shady informant in the gay bar. There's a cutscene, then you get a choice (take cab, take subway, wreck car) and you can get a second cutscene if you wreck the car. No more literal gay bashing afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reive
May 21, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

Talking about terrible FPS games, I must post this (even though it was never released for PC). The sound effects are especially amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2OsH4ZuAlI

I actually have this game!
Fun fact, the developer themselves released the ROM online, and also a ROM for the beta of a sequel that was never finished:
http://www.technopop.net/

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
After not mapping for years, I decided to give it a bash given a few people are creating their own wads here and there.

I intend to make this with Brutal Doom in mind, so if you're going to give it a go, use Brutal Doom.

Constructive criticism appreciated, as well as anything else you want to throw at me. It's only two levels so far, let me know what you think.
Get it here.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Cat Mattress posted:

It also stopped there. It's just at the end of the first level, with the shady informant in the gay bar. There's a cutscene, then you get a choice (take cab, take subway, wreck car) and you can get a second cutscene if you wreck the car. No more literal gay bashing afterwards.

The author has said that a lot of the enemy designs were intentionally created to parody the insensitive stereotypes found in the old beat-em-up games that AD2 is riffing on. It's still a bit awkward, though, yeah.

Also, is that comment really in BD's source?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Reive posted:

Fun fact, the developer themselves released the ROM online, and also a ROM for the beta of a sequel that was never finished:

Doesn't seem terrible to me. Keeping in mind that this was on a 16-bit console rather than a 32-bit computer, and that according to the developers' site it was the first FPS created for this particular console, and in addition they pioneered network play on that console as well, it seemed like a pretty good game. Production values (sounds, graphics, etc.) seemed perfectly professional too.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

esselfortium posted:

Also, is that comment really in BD's source?

If it is, I'm demanding my voice acting be pulled from the game. There's no way in HELL I am having my name connected with something that has racist poo poo in it, whether it's patently obvious or not.

EDIT: Son of a bitch, it IS in there. Even in the 0.17 test version that I've still got kicking around.

EDIT #2: Aaaaaaaaaaand he's already apologized and stated that he is removing the offending line in the next release. I feel somewhat better about the whole affair.

Chinese Tony Danza fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 8, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Reive posted:

That title screen is one of the coolest things I've seen on a 16-bit system.

Cat Mattress posted:

Doesn't seem terrible to me. Keeping in mind that this was on a 16-bit console rather than a 32-bit computer, and that according to the developers' site it was the first FPS created for this particular console, and in addition they pioneered network play on that console as well, it seemed like a pretty good game. Production values (sounds, graphics, etc.) seemed perfectly professional too.

In all honesty I'd probably enjoy it more than 32x Doom :v:

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I always expected the author of Brutal Doom to have character flaws, but not those specific ones.

Aside: Zero Tolerance owns, even with the kludge and weirdness of being a Genesis-exclusive FPS. I liked some of the odd bits, like having the selection of team-mates with different skills/inventories (which doubled as extra lives), the actual use of an inventory that had you juggling guns and useful equipment, jumping and ducking and alternate melee attacks in an otherwise Doom-like moveset, and such.

I remember it did some things (blood spattters, bulletholes, fires that could be put out) that were rare in 2.5D shooters and unheard of in old console shooters. It also did some neat things despite limited environmental flexibility, like one series of stages that started out on top of a dystopian skyscraper, and had you clear it floor by floor (with some choice of levels by using the stairs.) Like, the first "level" of the skyscraper was rooftop plus the top four floors, the next one a set of offices in the on floors 50-45, and such).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Fair enough, although I still felt uncomfortable enough that it put me off playing the rest of it.

esselfortium posted:

The author has said that a lot of the enemy designs were intentionally created to parody the insensitive stereotypes found in the old beat-em-up games that AD2 is riffing on. It's still a bit awkward, though, yeah.

I kinda get where this is coming from, I had the same feeling playing the uncensored version of Streets of Rage 3 which I guess is the kind of thing being mocked. I don't feel that excuses the numerous uses of 'fag' in the voiceover though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tiger Schwert posted:

There's an interesting comment in the Brutal Doom sourcecode. Right at the start of the GORE3 text lump :

pre:
// Watch how the plasma magic can instantly turn an average white guy into a friend of the family faster than Rap.
// Plasma Deaths.

Alright let me be real for a second here, there's a non-zero chance he copy-pasted some code from another mod and didn't notice the comment. I know I saw some equally crazy poo poo when cribbing from a bunch of wads to make my own.

However that doesn't mean I'd be surprised if the Brutal Doom author turned out to be one of those guys.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Fallom posted:

Alright let me be real for a second here, there's a non-zero chance he copy-pasted some code from another mod and didn't notice the comment. I know I saw some equally crazy poo poo when cribbing from a bunch of wads to make my own.

However that doesn't mean I'd be surprised if the Brutal Doom author turned out to be one of those guys.

He stated that it was supposed to be a joke, admitted it was a bad joke, and apologized. It's pretty clear that he wrote it himself.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
And already the autists are coming out of the woodwork to defend the joke. Just because the game is fun doesn't mean you have to approve of every single facet of it, dudes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

And already the autists are coming out of the woodwork to defend the joke. Just because the game is fun doesn't mean you have to approve of every single facet of it, dudes.

I'm kind of curious to see what people will say to defend that poo poo but I just know it would make me angry.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

I'm kind of curious to see what people will say to defend that poo poo but I just know it would make me angry.

Oops, too late! Here comes my favorite retarded response:

Blox posted:

Oh dear, society at their finest once again.
And here comes me and actually likes what he sees, because I like that joke. And I liked the real gore too.

Oh yeah it's me. And I'm me, so yeah.

Though I must say that while the base of the joke is fine (ladies and gentlemen - look at how this fine plasma magic turns white to black faster than rap!), it's kind of badly pulled.

Edit: But yeah, the negativity is kind of bothering me for what is almost guaranteed to be a For-Shits-And-Giggles joke thrown in for the exact same reason.
Something like random jokes stuffed as comments in code are only as serious as you take them, and unless he somehow stuffed an entire diary about how superior he is to his blacker human brethren in there too, it's unlikely to be anything more than a plain silly escapade during coding sessions.

Or what do you know, it's definitely not exactly appropriate, but again, it's just my own little opinion that I get annoyed over the negativity over it. (If just because it's such a minor thing.)

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Brutal Doom: racism is such a minor thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Welp, after the real gore thing and now this, I'm done with that poo poo.

code:
$rm -rf Games/Doom/Brutal_Doom

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

KozmoNaut posted:

Welp, after the real gore thing and now this, I'm done with that poo poo.

code:
$rm -rf Games/Doom/Brutal_Doom

Are you going to write him an angry letter?

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Well, I still have fun playing Brutal Doom.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you going to write him an angry letter?

I'm going to play Beautiful Doom instead.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I just finished Epic 1 with AEOD 5 (yes, 5, I love my character classes that aren't really character classes too much).

Despite being really huge and confusing at points, it's amazing. (The train car battle was also pretty great, and I got Uncharted vibes from it).

I'm diving into Epic 2, and I kind of miss the giant, open maps (and am regretting playing with AEOD, because the difficulty tripled) - are there any other .wads that have a similar size to get lost in?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

JackMackerel posted:

I just finished Epic 1 with AEOD 5 (yes, 5, I love my character classes that aren't really character classes too much).

Despite being really huge and confusing at points, it's amazing. (The train car battle was also pretty great, and I got Uncharted vibes from it).

I'm diving into Epic 2, and I kind of miss the giant, open maps (and am regretting playing with AEOD, because the difficulty tripled) - are there any other .wads that have a similar size to get lost in?

What would happen if you played Ultimate Torment and Torture with AEoD?

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What would happen if you played Ultimate Torment and Torture with AEoD?

Die horribly and/or chuck my laptop out a window.

(actual content: is the voice acting in UTAT horrible?)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JackMackerel posted:

actual content: is the voice acting in UTAT horrible?
It tries a little too hard (As gravelly as it goes, it's still a Scottish dad trying to sound like an American hardass reading one-liners written by a non-native English speaker) but it's not especially offensive compared to some Mod Voice Acting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

If it is, I'm demanding my voice acting be pulled from the game. There's no way in HELL I am having my name connected with something that has racist poo poo in it, whether it's patently obvious or not.

EDIT: Son of a bitch, it IS in there. Even in the 0.17 test version that I've still got kicking around.

EDIT #2: Aaaaaaaaaaand he's already apologized and stated that he is removing the offending line in the next release. I feel somewhat better about the whole affair.
This is pretty awkward. :ohdear:

I mean, I still really like Brutal Doom, and I can still enjoy it even if he is a nutjob, but... yeah. :/ Makes me feel weird about it.

Scyther posted:

He stated that it was supposed to be a joke, admitted it was a bad joke, and apologized. It's pretty clear that he wrote it himself.
Oh, wait, it was a joke? Pack it up guys, show's over, he was just joking!

Nobody ever said anything offensive while joking. :colbert:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 8, 2013

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Guys. Guys. Reelism.

Play Reelism. (expansion pack #1 here)

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh, wait, it was a joke? Pack it up guys, show's over, he was just joking!

Nobody ever said anything offensive while joking. :colbert:

So long as he does stand down, realize that it was offensive/out of line and apologizes, I'm not sure what else we could ask for. It was stupid and he deserves a smack round the back of the head for it, no question, but there's no cause for massive uproar.

At least not until he goes and makes a habit of this.

Anyway, Reelism Returns = Very Yes. Grabbing that the moment it's available.

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I kinda wanna see Isle of the Dead and Angst enemies in a future Reelism update.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

BillyMays posted:

I kinda wanna see Isle of the Dead and Angst enemies in a future Reelism update.
I actually tried ripping the graphics from Angst once. If I remember, they were all compressed somehow or I couldn't find them or something. Isle of the Dead, though... I think I have those enemies kicking around in a folder somewhere.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oops, too late! Here comes my favorite retarded response:

Clueless Post of the Day:

Memfis posted:

Well, I don't think it's a good idea to throw away a nice word ["friend of the family"] just because someone used it in a negative context in the past. It's just a useful word that means "black person". Same way as swastika doesn't mean Arian race to me, it means what it originally meant, unless the intention is clarified.
The guy who posted this is Russian, so I'm chalking it up to cluelessness rather than to something worse. But :drat:.

To go back on a better topic, I've just noticed this nifty little project. I like the look of it a lot and hope it'll fare better than other ambitious ZDoom TCs did in the past (e.g.).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I actually tried ripping the graphics from Angst once. If I remember, they were all compressed somehow or I couldn't find them or something. Isle of the Dead, though... I think I have those enemies kicking around in a folder somewhere.

Angst? It's made in the 1995 version of the ACKNEX-2 aka 3D GameStudio engine and editor.

If you can scrounge about and find the toolset for that you might be able to extract the graphics from it, otherwise you could probably find some guy willing to play through and manually capture all the graphics from screenshots. :v:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Install Gentoo posted:

Angst? It's made in the 1995 version of the ACKNEX-2 aka 3D GameStudio engine and editor.

If you can scrounge about and find the toolset for that you might be able to extract the graphics from it, otherwise you could probably find some guy willing to play through and manually capture all the graphics from screenshots. :v:

This is very handy information. Most of the graphics are kind of poo poo, but some of them could be potentially useful. If I can get a hold of the tools, I'll try and get the poo poo out of them. I'm weird about ripping things... I kind of like to rip obscure FPS games just for fun sometimes. I have the textures from the obscure FPS Quiver kicking around somewhere, for example, and I also have all the sprites and textures from Last Rites in a folder somewhere too. In fact, poo poo, I just remembered as I was typing this that I cracked all the file formats for Quarantine and Quarantine 2: Road Warrior and got a friend to make an extractor--I've got all of those graphics too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

This is very handy information. Most of the graphics are kind of poo poo, but some of them could be potentially useful. If I can get a hold of the tools, I'll try and get the poo poo out of them. I'm weird about ripping things... I kind of like to rip obscure FPS games just for fun sometimes. I have the textures from the obscure FPS Quiver kicking around somewhere, for example, and I also have all the sprites and textures from Last Rites in a folder somewhere too. In fact, poo poo, I just remembered as I was typing this that I cracked all the file formats for Quarantine and Quarantine 2: Road Warrior and got a friend to make an extractor--I've got all of those graphics too.

You know what you should try ripping? The game here http://web.archive.org/web/19991013053644/http://hummersoftware.com/freeware.html
Lowtax made an article about it ages ago http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/lifes-battle.php

It's a terrible freeware Christian game made in some kind of "build your own FPS!" kit and even though there isn't real shooting or whatever i think it'd be nice to do. The engine is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_in_the_Sky_%28game_engine%29
The engine is behind such "notable" FPSes as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiipFc_svKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44bwK2HuiL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVpHcpg3Tc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7lzxeUO34

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Holy poo poo, this is loving brilliant.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Install Gentoo posted:

You know what you should try ripping? The game here http://web.archive.org/web/19991013053644/http://hummersoftware.com/freeware.html
Lowtax made an article about it ages ago http://www.somethingawful.com/d/game-reviews/lifes-battle.php

It's a terrible freeware Christian game made in some kind of "build your own FPS!" kit and even though there isn't real shooting or whatever i think it'd be nice to do. The engine is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_in_the_Sky_%28game_engine%29
The engine is behind such "notable" FPSes as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiipFc_svKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44bwK2HuiL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVpHcpg3Tc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me7lzxeUO34

I'm fairly confident there's nothing to be found in Life's Battle that can't be found on any given clipart website, and probably at a better resolution at that. That being said, I am surprised that all of those are Pie in the Sky games I'd never heard of before. Must have been pretty popular at some point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Pie In The Sky engine creation tools were very easy to pirate back in the day if I remember right, leading to a whole bunch of people slapping out games. :v:

Reive
May 21, 2009

Any early 3D FPSs I should check out?
I'm sitting here watching GiantBomb play Daikatana, and while that is a bad game something about low res textures and low poly-models is giving me nostalgia vibes.
I've played the Quakes a billion times, so those won't do, anything around '96 to '00 would be cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Reive posted:

I'm sitting here watching GiantBomb play Daikatana, and while that is a bad game something about low res textures and low poly-models is giving me nostalgia vibes.
I've played the Quakes a billion times, so those won't do, anything around '96 to '00 would be cool.
If you haven't played the original Unreal, you should totally get on that.

Chasm: The Rift is a has-been Quake clone from the Ukraine, but the graphics are surprisingly decent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLr-nyJZUw

I enjoyed Jedi Knight back in the day, but I'm not sure how well it holds up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTnc_fFx8ug

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
^^^ Jedi Knight (and it's sequels if you want some good mutliplayer lightsaber fighting fun with friends) is another good one.

Reive posted:

If you don't have it yet (and you should be ashamed if you don't), Half-Life is not only one of the best FPSes of that era, but one of the best FPSes ever made IMO. It's $10 alone and $15 if you get the Anthology pack that includes Team Fortress Classic and the expansions (Blue Shift and Opposing Force) on Steam, but it's totally worth having in your collection to playthrough every couple years or so.

Deus Ex 1 is supposed to be pretty good even though it's a hybrid of FPS and RPG. I've never finished it, but everyone says it's a great game.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 9, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

Do Unreal games have a singleplayer? I always thought those were online deathmatch games.
That Chasm game does look surprisingly good for a Quake clone, how does it run on modern machines? I'm assuming it doesn't have a source port.
And yes I've played HL (I have the complete Valve pack) and Deus Ex to death as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Reive posted:

Do Unreal games have a singleplayer? I always thought those were online deathmatch games.
That Chasm game does look surprisingly good for a Quake clone, how does it run on modern machines? I'm assuming it doesn't have a source port.
And yes I've played HL (I have the complete Valve pack) and Deus Ex to death as well!

Unreal 1 has a decent single player, but 2 on the other hand is not worth playing.