Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Hard NOP Life posted:

drat this is spergy as hell, I'm glad I don't gif a gently caress about my colors or sounds

life gets real hard once you realize everything you look at is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

then you need to see 4:2:2 or better encoded YUV material.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

then anything less than high bit rate disc encoded material is the only thing you will allow to graze your eyes.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

at a <1 ^E calibrated device

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

congradulations, you are now a video sperg

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

life gets real hard once you realize everything you look at is wrong.

i'm surprised peopel can look at interlaced video without barfing

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
mlyp

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm surprised peopel can look at interlaced video without barfing

tbf it looks fine on a CRT, the device it was designed for.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
yo pagancow what do u use for calibrating

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a big hug for colorhug

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

yo pagancow what do u use for calibrating

I1-display

It's a special one made for the HP dreamcolor that supports "wide gamut"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i use "watching the programming and caring more about it than the delivery method as long as the video feed is OK" as a metric.

if i care really little about a program and it looks semi-lovely, i wont watch it
if i care a lot about a program and it looks semi-lovely, i'll still watch it

hope this helps

(btw the real world terms are not 4-x-x or wahtever its "semi-lovely" "really-lovely" and "i-am-in-a-theatre"

the latter you can get if you go to a loving theatre

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sniep posted:

(btw the real world terms are not 4-x-x or wahtever its "semi-lovely" "really-lovely" and "i-am-in-a-theatre"

the latter you can get if you go to a loving theatre

Snap a photo with any camera that has 2x the resolution of your monitor

view it in any photo viewer

"i-am-in-a-theatre" picture/chroma/luminance resolution

:psyboom:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

so are avis or x264 better for anime

i need to know for a project

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
svg

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Nomnom Cookie posted:

so are avis or x264 better for anime

i need to know for a project

codecs =! containers

thats like asking if mpeg-2 or a DVD case would be better for a movie.

an SVG sequence would be baller for anime. not sure how you would do non vector effects like smoke, 3d, lighting, and all the other stuff you might want to do.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

codecs =! containers

an SVG sequence would be baller for anime. not sure how you would do non vector effects like smoke, 3d, lighting, and all the other stuff you might want to do.

with non vector graphics

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

codecs =! containers

also mpeg2 duh

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

pagancow posted:

codecs =! containers

so x264 is better then

can you turn my avis into x264s, i can email them (gmail has an attachment limit so they'll have to be multipart rar files i think)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nomnom Cookie posted:

so x264 is better then

can you turn my avis into x264s, i can email them (gmail has an attachment limit so they'll have to be multipart rar files i think)
Just upload them to Youtube and email the unlisted links

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Nomnom Cookie posted:

so x264 is better then

http://handbrake.fr/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
drop your avi file on the window, select iPad from the presets list, click start

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

satin666 posted:

Oh, they fxied it, thank God, they fixed oh its good now changed up and nice I CAn see now ha gently caress art

there's some crazy spergin going on in her but this is pretty bad imho

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
hey also I watch the NFL via their official streams and just had a Super Bowl party and the consensus was that it looked "better than cable" according to my friends. Is this a thing, I rarely watch cable tv but would my high-quality stream beat it out in terms of bitrate

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i just looked at a cable recording i have and it's about 3.5 Mbps, sd resolution, mpeg2

youtube seems to be about same bitrate for 1080p, h.264

of course this varies by cable operator and such

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
a 1080p cable recording from the same operator is about 7.5 Mbps, h264.

so by this very thorough investigation, i'd say that streaming < cable

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Blackula69 posted:

there's some crazy spergin going on in her but this is pretty bad imho

idk, did the matrix movies intend to use that yellow cast in the first place

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wheany posted:

what provider do you have that is on h264??

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I watched the stupor bowl on DirecTV at my sister's house and the quality was terrible. Way way way over compressed, macro block city. Even when the camera was still and nothing much was happening on screen it was YouTube quality at best.

"B-b-but it's digital HD! Satellite! It's gotta be good." was my sister and brother-in-law's response whenever anyone asked why the picture was "so blocky."

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
gently caress social problems and all that other bullshit, i just want people to stop using the term "digital" as a measure of quality :spergin:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 9, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
also make analog hd a thing. we only need three channels anyway. how awesome would tv be if it wasnt stretched to paper thin-ness over 500 channels

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
answer: still not very good but at least you could surf through all of the channels faster and turn it off and do something else

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

what provider do you have that is on h264??

sonera

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

I bet the 4-5 Mbps h264 on YouTube looks the same or better than that 7.5 because 2pass, x264 encoder, google engineers being better than stuff in an expensive hardware box, etc

Bitrate efficiency is heavily dependent on 2 things: source quality/pre processing and encoder efficiency.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

I watched the stupor bowl on DirecTV at my sister's house and the quality was terrible. Way way way over compressed, macro block city. Even when the camera was still and nothing much was happening on screen it was YouTube quality at best.

"B-b-but it's digital HD! Satellite! It's gotta be good." was my sister and brother-in-law's response whenever anyone asked why the picture was "so blocky."

When I argue video stuff with my family that's a "true fact". Guess my family knows not to go toe to toe with pagancow with video poo poo.

Unless your sister is an x264 engineer she got owned.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

guys they arent gonna make a vector based movie format for anime, it would make it too easy for creepy spergs to rip the 2d waifus or put their original character do not steal into the animes

ugh i feel sick

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

I bet the 4-5 Mbps h264 on YouTube looks the same or better than that 7.5 because 2pass, x264 encoder, google engineers being better than stuff in an expensive hardware box, etc

probably. except i doubt they use 2-pass encoding, since they are not aiming for a specific file size. i hear constant rate factor is what the cool kids use these days

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

pagancow posted:

I1-display

It's a special one made for the HP dreamcolor that supports "wide gamut"

what software do you use for calibration and profiling? i have the i1 display 2 and have been using colorHCFR for my theater and the regular x-rite stuff for monitors.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Carthag posted:

guys they arent gonna make a vector based movie format for anime, it would make it too easy for creepy spergs to rip the 2d waifus or put their original character do not steal into the animes

ugh i feel sick

we have that anyway its called flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Visual GNUdio posted:

what software do you use for calibration and profiling? i have the i1 display 2 and have been using colorHCFR for my theater and the regular x-rite stuff for monitors.

Ugh i hate colorHCFR its so hard to use and take up so much time. We use the Hp Dreamcolor software that comes with that just profiles your monitor based of the native coloremetry of your display. All of our artists work in color managed software so its all good.

I'm just calibrating displays for comptuers since work is authored on that. For consumer displays I think it's a big waste to calibrate it because you have no baseline for doing a sanity check for your own work.

The Pagancow TV at home is just eyeballed to some color bars. It's saturated more than the rec.709 standard, but hey I have to also be 3b in to watch anything without analyzing the editing/sound design/VFX work.

Don't calibrate unless you're working collaboratively and producing content and all need to aim for one standard. The TV manufacturers get closer to the standard the more money you spend on a display (usually). If you have a sRGB or rec.709 mode enable it if you hate your life and like desaturated colors for home viewing.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 9, 2013

• Locked thread