Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

Not mentioned is that Alfred shoots guns.

I thought that got nix'd after the Cinema Shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Same thing with American Dad? Or were they all new writers?

I'm not sure what to make of the Seth MacFarlane conglomerate of writers.

A lot of the guys on twitter who are associated with the show are quite funny in their own right. I've also heard he's had @jennyjohnsonhi5 help out in the past.

It's difficult to really say Family Guy has gone the way of "The Simpsons" because I've yet to really notice them attempt to go to much off the formula that's gotten them to this point. Granted, yeah, you have a few weird episodes here and there with Seth presumably wanting to just experiment with things, but for the most part they've not really had the decline in the same way "The Simpsons" have had.

I think if he tries to go more political things will go south. I think that's what doomed "The Simpsons" and "South Park". If you're going to do that sort of humor, and you're a cartoon? Make a quick point and move onto the next gag.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

:stare: Say what? Most of the other shows sound decent or better, but drat if that new Batman doesn't sound terrible.

That's the part of that description that stuck out to you as bad? Alfred's always been an ex-secret agent, hasn't he? There were at least 1 or 2 episodes dedicated to it in TAS.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

RBX posted:

So new power rangers this weekend. I don't know if this is gonna be a train wreck or nostalgia overload.

It's the 20th anniversary season, so it definitely has the potential to be both. Just like Samurai, it's going to be split into two seasons (because that's what Nickelodeon wants). The first season will be full of MMPR homages with things like teens in high school, giant head as a mentor, even the colors of the rangers matching up with the original MMPR characters. The second season will use Gokaiger, the pirate-themed sentai and have appearances from old characters and references to past teams.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Argue posted:

Alfred in the field is kind of weird, but for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure he was an ex-secret agent in BTAS too.

He has been for a long time in the comics too, but for obvious reasons it was mainly used for disguises and espionage and what not.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

raditts posted:

That's the part of that description that stuck out to you as bad? Alfred's always been an ex-secret agent, hasn't he? There were at least 1 or 2 episodes dedicated to it in TAS.

Pretty sure he's been some form of ex-spy or special forces in most versions, including the comics for quite a while now. The "backing up Batman in the field despite currently being a golden-years wisecracking butler" bit should be what's throwing people for a loop, not the offhand explanation of why he's so resourceful and good with emergency medicine.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Pretty sure he's been some form of ex-spy or special forces in most versions, including the comics for quite a while now. The "backing up Batman in the field despite currently being a golden-years wisecracking butler" bit should be what's throwing people for a loop, not the offhand explanation of why he's so resourceful and good with emergency medicine.

Yeah, the part about him being an ex-spy was the only part of that description that didn't sound like total poo poo to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Forgive my ignorance, I know dick about comics compared to many in this thread.

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
My 2 1/2 year old likes Legend of Chima. Do we have to wait until Summer til it starts up again?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Finally caught(not really by choice) an episode of the new season of Winx Club, the one that Nickelodeon produced. At first glance it looks a lot better than the old seasons especially with character animation with movement. Everything else still really really bad though. Sound mixing is still awful, effects still look terrible and character's faces now look like somebody got a hold of the stretch feature of photoshop. I'm going to assume that the writing is consistent with previous seasons from the one episode I watched and is still awful. One day I should really lay out why this show is the worst on TV 'cause every time I see an episode I cringe and die a little on the inside. Thank god the girl I babysit is growing out of her love of this show.

e: I should clarify, I love the concept for the show. It is a girl equivalent of Power Rangers and I think it's a good thing for young girls to get the message that friends are good, to try new things, being afraid of something is okay, etc. It's just that the show fails on so many aspects of writing and animation I can't help but look at it and think of Skydancers, a similar styled show, that got canceled after 1 season.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 5, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm no expert on animated TV shows intended for that particular audience, but doesn't Sailor Moon fit that "Power Rangers for girls" billing rather well? Try showing her that next, I guess.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Y-Hat posted:

I'm no expert on animated TV shows intended for that particular audience, but doesn't Sailor Moon fit that "Power Rangers for girls" billing rather well? Try showing her that next, I guess.

They tried actually passing it off as that when Power Rangers came out. They bothered to make a live action promo for it where it was half real live actresses and the other half Americanized animated Sailor Moon segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwQSWrA9CNg

The thing is, Sailor Moon really isn't like the Sentai series(because it lacks giant robots and true masked/helmeted costumed shenanigans) it's also not written like one etiher. It's really more inline with She-Ra or Jem and the Holograms.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 5, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, say what you will of DiC's..."interpenetration"...of the events of Sailor Moon, it could have been much, much worse.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah, say what you will of DiC's..."interpenetration"...of the events of Sailor Moon, it could have been much, much worse.

My favorite part is how they are literally sailors from the Moon.

And then, there' "Doozy Bots", a failed Americanized Gundam series. It feels like it would have been every forgettable 90's cartoon bashed together.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rahonavis posted:

And then, there' "Doozy Bots", a failed Americanized Gundam series. It feels like it would have been every forgettable 90's cartoon bashed together.
I still can't get over the kid in the wheelchair who gets transferred to a robot that has treads. He will never know how it feels to walk. :smith:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rahonavis posted:

Every time I watch that I have trouble believing that isn't an incredibly well-done parody of early 90s cartoons.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rahonavis posted:

Holy poo poo! Check out the link I found on the side of that video to what is effectively Seth MacFarline's awful first attempt at Family Guy:

http://youtu.be/021PPpmwX98

The best part is the look BrianSteve gives the camera at around 2:12. It's like he's seen Family Guy too and can't believe that PeterLarry just said that poo poo either.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Because I'm pretty sure there's a healthy following for Pete & Pete around here:

A sketch they did to commemorate their 20th Anniversary reunion. (Mature Audiences)

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Holy poo poo! Check out the link I found on the side of that video to what is effectively Seth MacFarline's awful first attempt at Family Guy:

http://youtu.be/021PPpmwX98

The best part is the look BrianSteve gives the camera at around 2:12. It's like he's seen Family Guy too and can't believe that PeterLarry just said that poo poo either.

Actually, that was his second attempt.

This was the first and not quite as TV friendly to say the least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeceEtPKOG0

FrostedButts fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 8, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Brett Ratner Buddies Up With Zynga On Farmville Animated Series

Sweet evil-on-evil action.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

If Michael Bay were directing FarmVille, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Or David Lynch.

So, is the show going to be about literally watching grass grow?

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

DivisionPost posted:

Because I'm pretty sure there's a healthy following for Pete & Pete around here:

A sketch they did to commemorate their 20th Anniversary reunion. (Mature Audiences)

They did something for Pete & Pete at SF Sketch Fest. Had I been paying closer attention, I'd have gotten tickets.

It's nice to see Little Pete is kind of turning into Paul Heyman, though?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Does anyone remember Xiaolin Showdown? Well, apparently, a Canadian studio is doing the sequel, called Xiaolin Chronicles, due sometime this April, although I don't know what stations it will air on and where. There are three seasons planned so far. :neckbeard: Fan wiki article if you're curious for more: http://xiaolinpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Xiaolin_Chronicles

Here's a preview. That's Tara Strong voicing Jack but it's just to fill in. And the names of the Shen Gong Wu have changed for copyright reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfhWlNg1t6g
I'm so excited for kids' TV this spring, between this, Teen Titans Go!, and season two of Korra. :3:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Did Xiaolin even have a proper ending? All I remember is that the short bald monk got turned into a cat thing and then something happened and he was normal again. Its been so long

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It was a weird and rushed third season; I don't even remember the cat thing to be honest. It might have been the end of season two? I think at the end of the series proper Raimundo ended up becoming the team leader and it ended with a fake-out fight between all of the good guys and the villains.

You can rewatch the entire series on Youtube though. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez7bz5eMtlQ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved the hell out of Xiaolin Showdown, this is awesome news.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Wow, I never expected to see Xiaolin Showdown on the air again, much less as a new series. I'm excited. :woop:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man, in between a sequel to Xiaolin Showdown and a revival of Teen Titans, it's like somebody opened a portal to 2006.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Autumncomet posted:

Here's a preview. That's Tara Strong voicing Jack but it's just to fill in. And the names of the Shen Gong Wu have changed for copyright reasons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfhWlNg1t6g
I'm so excited for kids' TV this spring, between this, Teen Titans Go!, and season two of Korra. :3:

Did it always cut to 3D like that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, it did not. Kinda jarring now that I watch it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Man, in between a sequel to Xiaolin Showdown and a revival of Teen Titans, it's like somebody opened a portal to 2006.

Avatar came out in 05, Nick is releasing a gaiden series based on Cabbage Man and the other side characters this year.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

PhazonLink posted:

Avatar came out in 05, Nick is releasing a gaiden series based on Cabbage Man and the other side characters this year.

An Avatar show centered around background gimmick characters, no way that can be terrible. Sounds like the best thing to hit TV since The Cleveland Show.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Y-Hat posted:

For what it's worth Sailor Moon is absolutely supposed to resemble an all-girl sentai team. That's where Takeuchi (or her editors at least) drew the inspiration from in the sense that it's a team of individuals coming to together to fight a different, Big Bad created, monster each week. There's also the color coding and symbols and whatnot.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

The thing is, Sailor Moon really isn't like the Sentai series(because it lacks giant robots and true masked/helmeted costumed shenanigans) it's also not written like one etiher. It's really more inline with She-Ra or Jem and the Holograms.

Are you kidding me? It's written exactly like a sentai series. It has a team of young adults who go through a transformation sequence, fight a villain-of-the-week, go through a weapon charging sequence and repeat the same process for each episode. That's like the key formula for writing a sentai series.

Arguing its not because it lacks giant robots and mask/helmeted costumes is like saying the new Battlestar Galactica isn't a space opera because they don't have aliens or lasers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Deadspin started a new regular column today called "Why Your Children's Television Show Sucks." The first part goes over Max and Ruby. Parents of young children in this thread will probably be interested.

I found a video to Marvin Marvin (on Nickelodeon, apparently) in the comments section, with the comment poster saying that it got cable banned from his friend's house. I think that's a fair action. The video is here, trigger warning for awfulness. Oh yeah, and it has Fred the YouTube personality. I guess he has Nick by the balls now.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

Deadspin started a new regular column today called "Why Your Children's Television Show Sucks." The first part goes over Max and Ruby. Parents of young children in this thread will probably be interested.

I can confirm that Max & Ruby loving sucks, but my kids love the poo poo out of it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Y-Hat posted:

I found a video to Marvin Marvin (on Nickelodeon, apparently) in the comments section, with the comment poster saying that it got cable banned from his friend's house. I think that's a fair action. The video is here, trigger warning for awfulness. Oh yeah, and it has Fred the YouTube personality. I guess he has Nick by the balls now.

What kind of incriminating photos does Fred have of the Nick execs that they keep throwing money at him?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Benne posted:

What kind of incriminating photos does Fred have of the Nick execs that they keep throwing money at him?

I've been trying to figure out how Lucas Cruikshank ever amassed as many views as he did within youtube to garner that sort of attention.

Same with "the annoying orange".

As said within the comments section, it is for the most part correct. It's not as if Nickelodeon hasn't put a terribly written kids show on the air before. Try watching old episodes of Kenan and Kel, and All That now. They don't seem to hold up all that well after you've been introduced to years of better written and smarter comedy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Y-Hat posted:

Marvin Marvin is bizarre because it's basically what happens when Nick makes something tween-targeted without putting Dan Snyder at the helm (See also: Big Time Rush)

But then it's in an 830 time slot and I think 'technically' it airs as the first part of Nick at Nite.

It's loving confusing is what it is.

Also, while on the subject, Nick at Nite is loving unwatchable since they started showing the Nanny nonstop. It's worse than nonstop George Lopez. Bring back nonstop Roseanne and Fresh Prince thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

I can confirm that Max & Ruby loving sucks, but my kids love the poo poo out of it.
You and the author will have lots of common ground in the weeks to come, I'm sure. I dunno if he's going to get into Disney Channel/Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network programming yet because IIRC his oldest kid is 6. He'll do some soon enough, I'm sure.

FuzzySkinner posted:

As said within the comments section, it is for the most part correct. It's not as if Nickelodeon hasn't put a terribly written kids show on the air before. Try watching old episodes of Kenan and Kel, and All That now. They don't seem to hold up all that well after you've been introduced to years of better written and smarter comedy.
Agreed. They have their moments but they're quite forgettable overall. I think there's a Facebook group called "When I was your age we had Kenan & Kel, not Drake & Josh," as if there's much of a difference in quality of a live-action kids' sitcom. They're better than whatever crap Disney Channel airs, but that's not a hard feat.

I saw an episode of the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles a couple of weeks ago. The turtles themselves look terrible, but content-wise it's good- it certainly takes itself less seriously than the mid-2000s series.