Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I've finished that one beforehand. I would like to see where Shivers go from there on.

He makes cameos in the other books but no POVs yet, maybe in the new trilogy. I thought his story was relatively complete but to each his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I felt like leaving him a shell of a person like that felt unfinished to me, but I guess it's Joe Abercrombie we're talking about after all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
He shows up in Red Country.

Not finished it yet, so I don't know what happens by the end - he briefly shows up at the start.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Can't remember for sure but I think his view would be kind of lopsided anyway.

I think we'd have trouble seeing his motivations.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

nutranurse posted:

If you guys haven't, you should really, really listen to the audiobook for the First Law trilogy. Steven Pacey is an amazing reader, and the different voices he can do. Man. Yeah. They make everything better.

This can't be emphasized enough. I'd read the first 5 books a couple times each and a friend recommended audiobooks for a good way to pass the time for the massive amount of interstate driving I do for work. Steven Pacey absolutely nails it on the trilogy. I wish I had a way to get my hands on his narrated versions of BSC and The Heroes, because in comparison the narrators that I listened to really can't measure up to Pacey. His Glokta is just so perfect.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Down With People posted:

I disagree, but there's no point in arguing since we'll never see eye to eye.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Down With People posted:

I think every other page would be blank. Or letter.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Rurik posted:

I think every other page would be blank. Or letter.

Well, if you look at things that way HE'S GOT ONE EYE ARE WE FUNNY YET?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Suxpool posted:

This can't be emphasized enough. I'd read the first 5 books a couple times each and a friend recommended audiobooks for a good way to pass the time for the massive amount of interstate driving I do for work. Steven Pacey absolutely nails it on the trilogy. I wish I had a way to get my hands on his narrated versions of BSC and The Heroes, because in comparison the narrators that I listened to really can't measure up to Pacey. His Glokta is just so perfect.

I haven't tried it, but you can sign up for the UK Audible site. You might have to have a valid UK address attached your credit card, though.

I'm in my first listen of Pacey's BSC and it is fantastic as well. I love that he takes the time to go back and get each characters voice just right from his previous reading. Black Dow and Bethod appear only briefly in a dream sequence and they're both dead on.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Down With People posted:

Well, if you look at things that way HE'S GOT ONE EYE ARE WE FUNNY YET?

Lurk more.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tossing this out there in case anyone is interested.

I'm looking to get out of the SubPress Joe Abercrombie series. I have all four titles printed to date (the trilogy + Best Served Cold) in a matched number set. This would obviously include the rights to purchase future volumes of the same number (The Heroes comes out later this year.

If there's any actual interest I'll post a thread in SA Mart to make it official, but I figured this thread would be the best place to test the waters.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished Red Country after having sat at a flight terminal for a couple days.

Joe is definitely improving as a writer. Really enjoyed the book overall. I agree with the other posters who say that it doesn't quite stand up to Best Served Cold and The Heroes, but then I've never been a huge western fan. The tense scenes involving Logen had me sitting at the edge of my seat. Glad that Cosca finally bit it though, he was such a contemptible poo poo in this book.

Kinda confused why Shivers let Logen go at the end though. Unless if it was just some kind of reversion to his previous attempt to change/be a good man, albeit briefly.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Tossing this out there in case anyone is interested.

I'm looking to get out of the SubPress Joe Abercrombie series. I have all four titles printed to date (the trilogy + Best Served Cold) in a matched number set. This would obviously include the rights to purchase future volumes of the same number (The Heroes comes out later this year.

If there's any actual interest I'll post a thread in SA Mart to make it official, but I figured this thread would be the best place to test the waters.

Can you post a link to the artwork.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The Rat posted:

Kinda confused why Shivers let Logen go at the end though. Unless if it was just some kind of reversion to his previous attempt to change/be a good man, albeit briefly.

I think it was kind of a mix between him trying to be a good man again, and picking the pragmatic option. He could see that Logen's done with the black business and living under a different name in the armpit of Starikland. Shivers can just say he killed Logen, but let him fade away into obscurity. It's a win-win situation.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

The Rat posted:

I think it's not really out of any sort of sympathy toward Logen, but rather a pragmatic, apathetic "why does it matter anymore?" I think he's basically let go of his past by now, and it's probably not a great idea to fight the Bloody-Nine unless you really, really want to.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

Can you post a link to the artwork.

Do you mean the dust jackets or the interior illustrations? Here's the link to the publisher's page for the first book, and links to the other three can be found at the bottom of the page. You can see the covers and some examples of the interior stuff.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Rat posted:

He didn't want to go back to the mud.

Zqxm
Mar 16, 2005
Didn't Shivers see Logen's surrogate children before the confrontation as well? I was led to believe that had an effect on him.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Do you mean the dust jackets or the interior illustrations? Here's the link to the publisher's page for the first book, and links to the other three can be found at the bottom of the page. You can see the covers and some examples of the interior stuff.

How many interior illustrations are there per book approximately? And how much are you asking for them?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The Rat posted:

I think that by this point, his relationship to the Bloody-Nine is a bit different. For a start, he's admitted that he doesn't hate the Bloody-Nine, he hated his brother, and he refers to him at one point as a "wise man", as if he actually looks up to him. Secondly, he's basically become Logen's direct successor. He's the champion for Bethod's Son. I think he's started to see himself as basically the new Bloody-Nine, and it's hard to hate him as much when he's wearing the same shoes. He can see that Logen isn't a threat so it's not necessary to kill him, but I think that he also sees in Logen's kids a reflection of his childhood self. Remember that Shivers basically took up the sword to avenge his brother after watching him die in a duel. Shivers has turned into a brutal bastard by this point, but he's brutally practical rather than malicious, I think. That was my take on it anyway.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

How many interior illustrations are there per book approximately? And how much are you asking for them?

It looks like four illustrations per book. I was thinking $700 for the set, which would include overnight shipping of some variety, most likely FedEx as I've had the best luck with them.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hughmoris posted:

He didn't want to go back to the mud.

He knew better than to gently caress with Death's Best Friend. Easier to stop the Whiteflow than to stop The Bloody Nine. :colbert:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

It looks like four illustrations per book. I was thinking $700 for the set, which would include overnight shipping of some variety, most likely FedEx as I've had the best luck with them.

Ouch! Too rich for my blood.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

The only thing that really bugged me was that it quite quickly became apparent that Abercrombie really, really likes the word "frown".

I have read the first one and I'm currently halfway through the second one and so far I am loving this series but all the frowning is seriously starting to bug me. There are 243 occurrences of the word frown in the second book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

Ouch! Too rich for my blood.

That's cool, I didn't really expect to move them here; signed limited editions aren't very big around these parts. I've got some feelers out elsewhere, but if none of that plays out, I guess I'll bite the bullet and go with eBay.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

For the uninitiated (and too broke to swing $700), how exactly do these editions work? Did you buy a 'subscription' to Abercrombie's novels or something like that?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

For the uninitiated (and too broke to swing $700), how exactly do these editions work? Did you buy a 'subscription' to Abercrombie's novels or something like that?

Generally speaking, with Subterranean Press, when you buy the first book in a series (or the first one they're publishing if for whatever reason they don't start at the beginning (see: GRRM)), you're randomly sent a number and then have the future rights to that number. So when you order the next book, you email them and say "I have #293, please match that!" though now apparently it's all automatically tracked so the email isn't strictly necessary. When I sell my set, I'll have to email the publisher and transfer the rights to my number to the new owner.

The upside, in case it isn't obvious, is that having a matched set causes the value to skyrocket. That $700 is my "goons are good people" price; if/when this goes on eBay, the BiN price is going to be somewhere north of a grand (due, in part, to the ridiculous number of fees I'll have to pay).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Basically it is an incentive to buy their stuff, knowing that you can be sure that you will be able to get every item of something that might be in a relatively limited supply. Is a signed & numbered series worth more if every item has the same number?

withak fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 3, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

withak posted:

Basically it is an incentive to buy their stuff, knowing that you can be sure that you will be able to get every item of something that might be in a relatively limited supply. Is a signed & numbered series worth more if every item has the same number?

I guess if you're a bibliophile and obsessive collector (theres plenty of them out there).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

withak posted:

These editions are automatically in limited supply, they only printed 500 of the numbered edition. And yes, they're worth more when all volumes have the same number; it's kind of redundant to say it's worth more only to collectors as collectors are the only ones that are going to be buying these books :).

Edit: I know the price seems high, but it's peanuts compared to some other SubPress stuff. That's just one book, by the way (well, two physical books but one title).

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 3, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Those would originally cost, what, $100 a copy? Or were they pricier? May wanna get in on the up-and-coming sci-fi/fantasy author speculation game...

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I wonder why the Steven Pacey narrated versions of his non-First Law audiobooks are not available in the US.. any ideas?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I wonder why the Steven Pacey narrated versions of his non-First Law audiobooks are not available in the US.. any ideas?

I would just buy the No Steven Pacey versions and then pirate the Steven Pacey narrated ones.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Joe did a blog post about it. Apparently he uses a different publisher in the UK, and they would not (could not?) secure the rights to the Pacey reading. I don't feel bad buying the copies available in the US and listening to the Pacey version instead.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Andrast posted:

I would just buy the No Steven Pacey versions and then pirate the Steven Pacey narrated ones.

No way, the other guy is so terrible I instantly returned the copy. I have never hated a narrator as much as this guy.

Just listen to the sample: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B0032ITJEA&qid=1359951889&sr=1-1

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 4, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

No way, the other guy is so terrible I instantly returned the copy. I have never hated a narrator as much as this guy.

Just listen to the sample: http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_1?asin=B0032ITJEA&qid=1359951889&sr=1-1

I really liked his work on Lies of Locke Lamora. He just isn't a good fit for Abercrombie.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I've plowed my way through some more books and I have to say I really liked Red Country. Maybe it was just me but I felt it ended on a slightly more upbeat note than the others. I also like western themes.

During the book I was sort of waiting for the eventual downer of an ending I had expected. I was happy that Logen got a sort of happy ending at least. Still a bit sad that he couldn't give up the sword and stay with his "family", and the fact that Row wished him dead was a downer. I'm just a big softie for the bloodiest murderer in the circle of the world I guess.

Also I wonder if that dragon will ever make a comeback. I really find everything about the Maker much more interesting than the magi.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, just thought of a couple of questions/potential plotholes regarding Red Country:

1) Who's the Mayor? She seemed to know Lamb and have some personal beef with the Union. The only person I can think of is Ferro but that seems a stretch.

2) Who's the Northerner who stops Lamb on his wagon at the very start of the book? Couldn't be Shivers as Lamb would recognise him, and Lamb seems surprised later when he learns that Shivers is in the Near/Far Country.

Any ideas?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
1) It's Carlot dan Eider, who ran up against Glokta in Dagoska and then went to Styria and got hosed over in Best Served Cold.

2) Just a northerner who knows him by reputation and may have seen him in the past. They turn up all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

John Charity Spring posted:

1) It's Carlot dan Eider, who ran up against Glokta in Dagoska and then went to Styria and got hosed over in Best Served Cold.

Holy poo poo!