Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Do we have a thread on various Asian movies or just that South Korean movie megathread that no one has posted in for months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Revitalized posted:

Do we have a thread on various Asian movies or just that South Korean movie megathread that no one has posted in for months?
That's it, but the last post in the South Korean thread was 3 days ago so I don't know what you're looking at.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Jeff Wiiver posted:

That's it, but the last post in the South Korean thread was 3 days ago so I don't know what you're looking at.

I don't come into the Cinema Discusso often and still had megathread pt2 bookmarked :downs:

Thanks though!

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Any goons seen Side Effects? Thoughts?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Any goons seen Side Effects? Thoughts?
I was planning on seeing it today, but the snow shut down my school bus system so I can't get to the theater. I'm really excited to see it, though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Whats a good place to find info on films from Korea, Japan and China. Or just foreign action and horror films in general. Most of the stuff coming out of the USA is really terrible when it comes to action and I've seen some great stuff coming from elsewhere on Netflix, but they have a pretty poo poo selection of recent stuff.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Tell me about Jim Jarmusch and Eric Rohmer, and why I should watch their films. And where to start with them. Please :)

Reason posted:

Whats a good place to find info on films from Korea, Japan and China. Or just foreign action and horror films in general. Most of the stuff coming out of the USA is really terrible when it comes to action and I've seen some great stuff coming from elsewhere on Netflix, but they have a pretty poo poo selection of recent stuff.

Have you tried Criticker?

You can sort films by lots of filters, and based on the films you've previously ranked, they predict what you will score the movie. So you could set the filters to horror and foreign.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why is A Christmas Carol remade so much? I love the versions that try new stuff, like Micky's (my favorite version), Muppet (which kicked off their run of 3-4 great movies like Treasure Island), and Scrooged. But it seems every year there's a new Dtv or made for tv version that's slavishly faithful to the book. Do they actually make money? If I feel like watching a pure adaptation, the 50's version is still regarded as the best by many critics, though Patrick Stewart's is fine too (he did make a great Ahab). I'd love for someone to make a version where one of those 3 kings (or all of em) from the nativity story were Scrooge-like until that night. I just realized Groundhog Day is almost the same story too, so Bill Murray made this story twice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, it's a classic story of redemption, it's a feel-good read and watch, and it presents christmas in a way that can appeal to both religious and secular crowds. People love a story about a bad guy becoming the good guy, and Scrooge is the ultimate rear end in a top hat who eventually becomes the ultimate good person. It's even more sympathetic, as Scrooge and his demeanor are very much a product of his environment and the times he lived. He's partially a victim in the story, and you feel for him because he could've been a happy, giving man his entire life, if only he wasn't dealt so many bad hands in life.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

escape artist posted:

Have you tried Criticker?

You can sort films by lots of filters, and based on the films you've previously ranked, they predict what you will score the movie. So you could set the filters to horror and foreign.

This website is really cool, and thank you for recommending it. But I can't seem to find a way to filter by foreign or region or anything like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

escape artist posted:

Tell me about Jim Jarmusch and Eric Rohmer, and why I should watch their films. And where to start with them. Please :)

Jim Jaramusch is a pretty divisive director, even among his fans people tend to have pretty divergent opinions of his best work. Ghost Dog is probably his most accessible film. I really like Dead Man and Down By Law and wasn't a huge fan of Night on Earth. However I know many people who really like Night on Earth but not Dead Man, so if Dead Man doesn't work for you, you might try that instead.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Reason posted:

This website is really cool, and thank you for recommending it. But I can't seem to find a way to filter by foreign or region or anything like that.
Go to the film database and on the left under "Filters" select whatever regions you want.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

effectual posted:

Why is A Christmas Carol remade so much? I love the versions that try new stuff, like Micky's (my favorite version), Muppet (which kicked off their run of 3-4 great movies like Treasure Island), and Scrooged. But it seems every year there's a new Dtv or made for tv version that's slavishly faithful to the book. Do they actually make money? If I feel like watching a pure adaptation, the 50's version is still regarded as the best by many critics, though Patrick Stewart's is fine too (he did make a great Ahab). I'd love for someone to make a version where one of those 3 kings (or all of em) from the nativity story were Scrooge-like until that night. I just realized Groundhog Day is almost the same story too, so Bill Murray made this story twice.

Plus it's out of copyright.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

escape artist posted:

Going in order with Rohmer is not a bad way to do it, his two 1963 shorts are a bit rough but they still capture his style and human/philosophical preoccupations well, they're where I started. There is a dividing line of sorts between his pre and post 1980 work, but it's mostly a variation of the same style. His films can be mostly grouped into three thematically connected eras 1963-1972, 1981-1987, 1990-1996 but there's little reason to watch them that way unless you really want to spend time thinking about how the themes tie together. His highs are Ma nuit chez Maud (1969), Le rayon vert (1986) and Conte d'été (1996), so those might be a good sampling.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Thanks for the information everyone!

Skwirl posted:

Jim Jaramusch is a pretty divisive director, even among his fans people tend to have pretty divergent opinions of his best work. Ghost Dog is probably his most accessible film. I really like Dead Man and Down By Law and wasn't a huge fan of Night on Earth. However I know many people who really like Night on Earth but not Dead Man, so if Dead Man doesn't work for you, you might try that instead.

I definitely did not like Broken Flowers, even though I had no idea who was directing it at the time.

How is "The Limits of Control"? I've heard that's fantastic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

escape artist posted:

Thanks for the information everyone!

I definitely did not like Broken Flowers, even though I had no idea who was directing it at the time.

Haven't seen Broken Flowers, I liked Limits of Control.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

escape artist posted:

Some people really hated it, but I dug it a lot. Don't go in expecting a movie where things happen.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Some people really hated it, but I dug it a lot. Don't go in expecting a movie where things happen.

Believe me, I'm not your typical movie viewer-- I enjoy slow-burners and character studies. I just happened to read that it was one of the top ten movies of the year it came out.

Here's the blog that I got the recommendation from:
http://tativille.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-film-limits-of-control-co-written.html

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
It's really not that good, even if you like them slow. Jarmusch writes characters made out of quirks and half asses the deeper meaning. Can't entirely hate a movie with a Boris soundtrack, but still, avoid.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this. I want to (finally) buy the extended Lord of the Rings boxset but have absolutely no idea what one has all the bells and whistles in it.

I saw this one but the price seems high. I just want the trilogy along with the extended scenes and whatnot. Is there another version worth getting over this one?

Also, I can't use Blu-Ray as I don't have a player for it so that boxset is out of the question.

*edit* Okay, so looking into more it seems it would be safer and better to buy the extended versions of each movie separately instead of the boxset? Okay, that's just confusing. :psyduck:

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 11, 2013

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Red Mundus posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this. I want to (finally) buy the extended Lord of the Rings boxset but have absolutely no idea what one has all the bells and whistles in it.

I saw this one but the price seems high. I just want the trilogy along with the extended scenes and whatnot. Is there another version worth getting over this one?

Also, I can't use Blu-Ray as I don't have a player for it so that boxset is out of the question.

*edit* Okay, so looking into more it seems it would be safer and better to buy the extended versions of each movie separately instead of the boxset? Okay, that's just confusing. :psyduck:
The only thing different if you got them separately would be the green box.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

ZackHoagie posted:

It's really not that good, even if you like them slow. Jarmusch writes characters made out of quirks and half asses the deeper meaning. Can't entirely hate a movie with a Boris soundtrack, but still, avoid.

So he's kind of like Wes Anderson?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

escape artist posted:

It's more like Terry Gilliam. Just try it out and you'll see, Jarmusch's humor tends toward the bizarre. Dead Man is my favorite, I've seen it many times.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

fenix down posted:

The only thing different if you got them separately would be the green box.

Thanks! Money is a bit tight so I might just buy them separately, over time. That and Amazon has a sale on ROTK extended version so that's nice.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
In the opinion of somebody who doesn't like Jim Jarmusch, The Limits of Control is a very Jarmuschian film.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.

escape artist posted:

Oh I didn't mean in general, more about Limits of Control My bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

In the opinion of somebody who doesn't like Jim Jarmusch, The Limits of Control is a very Jarmuschian film.

As someone who generally is a fan, it definitely indulges in a lot of his most... well, indulgent tendencies. But the cinematography is also incredibly gorgeous - above and beyond anything I've seen in a Jarmusch movie, although I've only seen a handful - and I liked the weird vibe all the repetition added to the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 13, 2013

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
How did I not know that Boris did the soundtrack to a Jim Jarmusch film?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A question came to me while browsing the "Movies that Never Were" thread, thought it would be better handled here.

The classic Catch-22 of Hollywood is that no one will hire you as an actor unless you have experience (are a member of SAG), but you can't get experience if no one will hire you. There are ways around this, for example, if you are a celebrity and you make a cameo appearance in some movie, that seems to count. And I think extras get to count it in some way, so they can join.

So, what if you are a young actor/actress who is cast in your first (minor) film role, your scene is filmed, but it never makes it to the theatrical release. Doesn't make it on to the DVD as a cut scene. Or, worst case scenario, the film never gets released, due to reasons.

Can you still claim the experience and get your SAG membership? How strict are they about checking records? Could I claim to be filmed in a crowd scene from TDKR and apply for membership?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

The whole thing is off...

To become a member of SAG you have to land a certain number of jobs on SAG-signatory productions - like extra/featured or whatever (Bigger roles DO happen, especially on smaller pictures) and if you do a certain amount of work (which is up to the producer, I believe) they'll give you a voucher. Two SAG vouchers and you're able to join. They're given when filming, so it doesn't matter if your scene is cut, it's about the labor that you did. So, it's more regulated than just claiming you were background in TDKR (There's certain regulations on when background gets vouchers and I have no idea what they are).

Also, you have to pay $3,000 to join, so it's not something you'll wanna do for shits and giggles.

There's a couple of other ways in, loopholes and such, but that's the basic route.

http://www.sagaftra.org/content/steps-join

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NeuroticErotica posted:

The whole thing is off...

To become a member of SAG you have to land a certain number of jobs on SAG-signatory productions - like extra/featured or whatever (Bigger roles DO happen, especially on smaller pictures) and if you do a certain amount of work (which is up to the producer, I believe) they'll give you a voucher. Two SAG vouchers and you're able to join. They're given when filming, so it doesn't matter if your scene is cut, it's about the labor that you did. So, it's more regulated than just claiming you were background in TDKR (There's certain regulations on when background gets vouchers and I have no idea what they are).

Also, you have to pay $3,000 to join, so it's not something you'll wanna do for shits and giggles.

There's a couple of other ways in, loopholes and such, but that's the basic route.

http://www.sagaftra.org/content/steps-join

Isn't there a thing where you have to get a SAG card at a certain point? Tina Fey did an interview with Howard Stern and talked about doing a cameo in (I think) Martin and Orloff, when she was still just a writer on SNL, as a favor; and because it was her second film role with lines she needed to get a SAG card after. She was joking about this favor cost her $3,000.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Skwirl posted:

Isn't there a thing where you have to get a SAG card at a certain point? Tina Fey did an interview with Howard Stern and talked about doing a cameo in (I think) Martin and Orloff, when she was still just a writer on SNL, as a favor; and because it was her second film role with lines she needed to get a SAG card after. She was joking about this favor cost her $3,000.

This is America, you never have to join a Union. At that point she could Taft-Hartley out, where you basically say that you don't want to join the Union and they basically give you all the benefits w/o joining (except Health, Pension, et al). I'm told this only works once though, so if you keep doing it, you basically really do have to join.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

Ehud posted:

Did the audience in 1991 know going into the movie that Arnold was the good guy in this one? If they managed to keep it a secret then that must have been a pretty awesome reveal.

I saw T2 on opening night with some friends and we didn't know, we had only heard rumours. It was a great experience, we waited in line for at least an hour since it was sold out and we wanted good seats. I remember people gasping in the audience when Arnie grabs Connor in the back hallway and shields him but I kind of guessed at it because Patrick was acting so emotionless.

I just watched Elephant for the first time and I enjoyed it quite a bit. One thing I am not sure of---the black guy in the yellow shirt wandering around in the school, what was his deal?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

jet sanchEz posted:

I just watched Elephant for the first time and I enjoyed it quite a bit. One thing I am not sure of---the black guy in the yellow shirt wandering around in the school, what was his deal?

He was deaf, I'm pretty sure.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

User-Friendly posted:

He was deaf, I'm pretty sure.

I thought of this but what about all the blood on the walls? He would have noticed that, surely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

jet sanchEz posted:

I thought of this but what about all the blood on the walls? He would have noticed that, surely.

I haven't seen it, but Gus Van Sant has a thing for teenage boys doing nothing in particular.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Such an embarrassing question, but here goes… I just watched Seven Psychopaths and if I understand correctly, the seven title characters were the Jack of Diamonds, Hans, Charlie, the Vietnamese Priest, Maggie (who I assume is also Myra), Zachariah, and Billy? I was a bit confused, since Billy is the Jack of Diamonds. As I first watched, I thought Angela was the original Jack of Diamonds until Billy shot her, but I'm guessing I just didn't watch closely enough. So then Billy counts as No. 1 as well as No. 7?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CloseFriend posted:

Such an embarrassing question, but here goes… I just watched Seven Psychopaths and if I understand correctly, the seven title characters were the Jack of Diamonds, Hans, Charlie, the Vietnamese Priest, Maggie (who I assume is also Myra), Zachariah, and Billy? I was a bit confused, since Billy is the Jack of Diamonds. As I first watched, I thought Angela was the original Jack of Diamonds until Billy shot her, but I'm guessing I just didn't watch closely enough. So then Billy counts as No. 1 as well as No. 7?

I actually didn't put the playing card thing together and just looking at the poster now I realised how hilarious it is that they put the two female characters on there as psychopaths considering they both only have about three lines each.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was funny how the marketing tried to play up the female characters while the movie was really upfront and directly states "Yeah, I don't have any strong parts for women, sorry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CloseFriend posted:

Part of the joke is that there aren't really seven psychopaths. He came up with the title before he wrote the script, because he thought it sounded cool.