Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Occasionally I'm watching a food show and there's a technique where the pan is tilted so the sauce flows to one side, and the chef is continuously spooning the hot liquid over the meat on the other side of the pan. What is this called and what's the idea behind it? It's a total mystery to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Baisting. It imparts the flavors of the cooking juices to the meat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's the same as basting a roasted chicken or whatever? That I'm familiar with, but the pan confused me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

dino. posted:

What kind of horrible stores do you have around you that you can't find everything there? o_O

You can get all sorts of unusual meats online that would be near impossible to find locally unless you're very lucky. Stuff just like kangaroo here would most likely need buying from a butchers online. I'd need to buy all my chilli stuff like dried chillies and the like online if I wasn't lucky enough to a shop that sells that kind of stuff exclusively in my city. Its still easier to buy online for me.

This is England though where stuff like that is harder to find in general and postage probably doesn't take as long

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

dino. posted:

What kind of horrible stores do you have around you that you can't find everything there? o_O

I was in a similar situation until recently. I lived in a town without any ethnic stores other than a pair of gas stations that sold mexican soda and soap. This town also had 0 butchers other than the ones inside of large-chain grocers. I couldn't get any meat outside of choice/select beef, chicken, pork, fish (tilapia/salmon/grouper only for the most part) and around the holidays turkey would show up. This town also had no farmers markets other than one that stopped operating a month after I had moved there. The produce available was basically just potatoes/onions/carrots/celery/lettuce/cucumbers/really tiny squash. As for fruits it was just apples/oranges/grapes and strawberries when they were in season.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It's the same as basting a roasted chicken or whatever? That I'm familiar with, but the pan confused me.

It also helps cook faster and more evenly. You're getting the hot fat all over the food, instead of just where it's sitting in the pan. It works wonders on a steak.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Basically. When cooking fish/meat in a pan you usually sear the thing in dry oil (canola/sunflower/peanut/whatever) and then at the end of the cooking process you add butter + possibly seasonings and then baste with that for the last minute or so.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A basted egg is the best egg.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So I took a stab at white sausage gravy and it came out great in terms of flavor, exactly what I was looking for. However, the gravy was more brown instead of white. I assume this is because I cooked the roux too long? I probably exacerbated the problem by adding a little more rendered fat into the gravy after mixing in all the milk. Any tips on preventing this from happening?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

So I took a stab at white sausage gravy and it came out great in terms of flavor, exactly what I was looking for. However, the gravy was more brown instead of white. I assume this is because I cooked the roux too long? I probably exacerbated the problem by adding a little more rendered fat into the gravy after mixing in all the milk. Any tips on preventing this from happening?

It happens. Especially when it's homemade. If you wanna keep it as white as possible you need to cook the sausage separately, use a roux with butter, not sausage rendering, and fold the sausage in at the end.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Don't worry about it. That brown color is FLAVOR.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:
I'm looking to buy the proper whetstones to sharpen my kitchen knives.

I own a set of ja henkels knives that haven't been sharpened in years. I will be practising on some lovely knives as I hone my technique but I want to get the proper stones for the job. Can anyone point me to the one or two stones I need?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr Pepper posted:

I'm looking to buy the proper whetstones to sharpen my kitchen knives.

I own a set of ja henkels knives that haven't been sharpened in years. I will be practising on some lovely knives as I hone my technique but I want to get the proper stones for the job. Can anyone point me to the one or two stones I need?

The Spyderco Sharpmaker is what I use on all my kitchen knives and it is stupid easy to use.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Lets say a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts/thighs had a sell-by date of the 4th... Assuming constant refrigeration, are they still good to eat? Bonus question: If I cook them today with the intention of eating them for lunch all week, will that be ok? I'm not squeamish and have Guts of Steel, if that helps, but I rarely cook with meat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do they smell? Thats the first sign they need to go in the bin. I'd not risk 6 days after myself though

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Grand Fromage posted:

Occasionally I'm watching a food show and there's a technique where the pan is tilted so the sauce flows to one side, and the chef is continuously spooning the hot liquid over the meat on the other side of the pan. What is this called and what's the idea behind it? It's a total mystery to me.

The term is arroser.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Micomicona posted:

Lets say a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts/thighs had a sell-by date of the 4th... Assuming constant refrigeration, are they still good to eat? Bonus question: If I cook them today with the intention of eating them for lunch all week, will that be ok? I'm not squeamish and have Guts of Steel, if that helps, but I rarely cook with meat.

I wouldn't.
6 days past the date that chicken is going to smell very manky if it's been under plastic the whole time. If it hasn't been wrapped, it'll look like shoe leather AND smell manky.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Nuts! Well, I'll crack em and see if they're stanky. If they're at all out they go of course, but if they smell fine would they be OK? I guess, are there any non-smelly things on a chicken that will kill me? Sorry, I generally cook vegetarian where you can care less about this sort of thing.

E: STANKY

Micomicona fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 10, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So along those lines, if they don't smell but they're slimy, I always considered them OK if a bit gross, am I still right?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Saint Darwin posted:

So along those lines, if they don't smell but they're slimy, I always considered them OK if a bit gross, am I still right?

I wouldn't eat any slimy meat, personally.

Serbern
Feb 17, 2011
I've got about 1.7 kg or 3 3/4 lbs of ground beef sitting in my freezer. It's all one big block, so I'm wondering if it's ok to thaw it, fry, and then freeze most of it again? I probably won't use more than 1/4 or 1/3 of it for any given dish. I completely forgot to separate it when I stuck in the freezer and now I don't know how to separate it without thawing it first. Anything I can do here without ruining it by re-freezing? :ohdear:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Serbern posted:

I've got about 1.7 kg or 3 3/4 lbs of ground beef sitting in my freezer. It's all one big block, so I'm wondering if it's ok to thaw it, fry, and then freeze most of it again? I probably won't use more than 1/4 or 1/3 of it for any given dish. I completely forgot to separate it when I stuck in the freezer and now I don't know how to separate it without thawing it first. Anything I can do here without ruining it by re-freezing? :ohdear:

It's ground meat - break off the chunk you want to use and put the rest back in the freezer without defrosting. Use a bread knife to saw through the piece you want to use.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Speaking of ground meat, I wanna make spaghetti. What's the best way to cook ground meat beforehand? Before, I've always boiled noodles, then put it in the pan with meat that has only been salt/peppered before pouring in sauce.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Capsaicin posted:

Speaking of ground meat, I wanna make spaghetti. What's the best way to cook ground meat beforehand? Before, I've always boiled noodles, then put it in the pan with meat that has only been salt/peppered before pouring in sauce.

Best easy way would be to separate out a bunch of ground beef into smallish chunks, season with salt, pepper, garlic, what have you, then sear the ground beef with some oil. Once the beef is cooked, you can deglaze the pan with something like red wine for extra deliciousness. You can also use your spatula to cut the chunks into smaller bits after the beef is more crumbly after you're done with the cooking part

The best hard way would be to spend half your day tending over some authentically made bolognese sauce.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Capsaicin posted:

I usually make the sauce separately.

If I'm just doing something quick, I'll do the meat in the pan with onions or whatever, pour in an appropriate amount of sauce, then mix it with the spagetti on a separate dish.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Mach420 posted:

The best hard way would be to spend half your day tending over some authentically made bolognese sauce.

After you do it a few times it really becomes quite quick to make.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

After you do it a few times it really becomes quite quick to make.

Well, yea, it's quick, but simmering it just takes a damned long time. Still, it gets easy enough that you can just take a peek at the pot and give it a quick stir every 30 minutes or so after everything's been put in, so it's not like you have to hover over constantly it to have it come out right!

Both recipes on the GWS wiki look solid. If you want the best meat sauce that you've ever had (comparing it to sauces from a jar), give it a go.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 11, 2013

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
It reheats spectacularly as well, some people I feed it to occasionally even say it tastes better after a day or so in the fridge.

d3c1
Feb 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
posting from Android so I can't post thread but butter is in

also imagine what McDonalds doesn't bananas...........

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Capsaicin posted:

For a weeknight dinner, I brown the meat in a frying pan and build the sauce around it - brown meat, fry off garlic, add herbs etc, add tomato and simmer for a while. I usually put the spaghetti on to cook once I've added the tomato and then mix the drained spaghetti into the meaty sauce in the frying pan before serving.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I was at my girlfriend's the other day and was surprised to find that her mom has an old pizza stone they used for baking in the past. It looks like it has some grease stains on it as if someone had never cleaned it. Is this still usable, and if so, how would I go about cleaning it?

To use this for pizza, I would assume I need one of those big old wooden spatulas like things they have in a pizzera so I don't spill it everywhere and ruin my oven right?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When my stone needs cleaning, I just leave it in the oven during a clean cycle. Comes out looking good as new.

And the wooden spatula is called a peel. They are very useful, but not necessary if you have a cookie sheet without a lip.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

And the wooden spatula is called a peel. They are very useful, but not necessary if you have a cookie sheet without a lip.

I find a really thin metal peel easier to use than a wooden one.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When my stone needs cleaning, I just leave it in the oven during a clean cycle. Comes out looking good as new.

Isn't the stone supposed to be seasoned like a cast iron pan basically?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

Isn't the stone supposed to be seasoned like a cast iron pan basically?

I've never done anything to season my stone. Raw dough that goes on it will stick when it hits the hot stone, but then release as soon as it gets cooked.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, and corn meal helps.

For the record, I use a lipless cookie sheet.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, and corn meal helps.

For the record, I use a lipless cookie sheet.

I've been using semolina flour and a little bit of coarse kosher salt. The little lick of salt that I occasionally get in the crust is pleasing to me.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...
I have had some nagging questions that has been bothering me for a bit.

First minor question:
I've started a conscious effort to eat more fish and less red meat and have noticed that the fish I pan fry tend to either give out (correct term?) water during the cooking process or after on the plate. I've tried low heat to cook off the water and high sear on the fish. I have also coated my fish in corn starch prior to pan frying it. The best result is when the fish is coated in flour but some water still comes out. The fish monger claims that the fish I buy has not been frozen, so that's out. Tell me, how can I achieve that nice crisp crust on a flaky piece of fish?

Second minor question:
I am planning to bake a maple syrup flavored cake for the first time for the office. The recipe calls for 1 cup light brown sugar and 1/3 cups maple syrup. To satisfy the diverse people in the office, I usually cut out half the sugar in an American recipe. Since 1/2 cup of brown sugar isn't much, would it be harmful to the cake if I just used all maple syrup and no brown sugar? So 1/2 + 1/3 cups of maple syrup. I foresee that the batter will be very moist, but too moist? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Genewiz posted:

I have had some nagging questions that has been bothering me for a bit.

First minor question:
I've started a conscious effort to eat more fish and less red meat and have noticed that the fish I pan fry tend to either give out (correct term?) water during the cooking process or after on the plate. I've tried low heat to cook off the water and high sear on the fish. I have also coated my fish in corn starch prior to pan frying it. The best result is when the fish is coated in flour but some water still comes out. The fish monger claims that the fish I buy has not been frozen, so that's out. Tell me, how can I achieve that nice crisp crust on a flaky piece of fish?

Second minor question:
I am planning to bake a maple syrup flavored cake for the first time for the office. The recipe calls for 1 cup light brown sugar and 1/3 cups maple syrup. To satisfy the diverse people in the office, I usually cut out half the sugar in an American recipe. Since 1/2 cup of brown sugar isn't much, would it be harmful to the cake if I just used all maple syrup and no brown sugar? So 1/2 + 1/3 cups of maple syrup. I foresee that the batter will be very moist, but too moist? :ohdear:

On the fish cooking, if you want a good, crisp crust first make sure that the fish is bone dry before putting it in the pan. You didn't mention what kind of fish but this should apply to most any kind of fish. Pat it dry gently with paper towels on both sides and lightly salt it. Let the salt sit for several minutes before cooking. The other thing to keep in mind is it might be "leaking" if the fish is overcooked. I'm sure one of the more science based cooks could explain it better, but if you overcook a protein, the strands will tighten up too much and essentially wring the moisture out of the meat itself. I know this is true for eggs and other proteins, should be true for fish as well.

When it comes to baking, not all sugar is interchangeable and replacing the brown sugar with maple syrup will likely change the structure of the finished product. So as opposed to a light fluffy cake, you might end up with a dense, tight crumb cake. If you would usually halve the amount of sugar, why not do that here, and go with 1/4 cup of brown sugar? On that same path, I can understand wanting to please everyone and some cakes are too sweet for some, but have you tried this recipe, unaltered, before? Did you think it was too sweet? If you never tried it, maybe try it as directed first. Failing that, go ahead and cut the sugar in half, but keep some of it in there and understand that it may not turn out the way you expect.