Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I had been debating between getting a refurb 27" 2011 iMac or getting a 21.5" 2011 refurb and simply having a second 21" screen I already own attached to it. I think I've decided on going with the 21.5" iMac with the i7 when it's available, but was wondering: will prices go down again once the 2012s finally hit the refurb store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

So I had been debating between getting a refurb 27" 2011 iMac or getting a 21.5" 2011 refurb and simply having a second 21" screen I already own attached to it. I think I've decided on going with the 21.5" iMac with the i7 when it's available, but was wondering: will prices go down again once the 2012s finally hit the refurb store?

You can attach a second screen (and a third) to a 27", just get that one. The big screen is awesome.

The 2011 prices won't go down because they won't be in the refurb store much longer.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

You can attach a second screen (and a third) to a 27", just get that one. The big screen is awesome.

The 2011 prices won't go down because they won't be in the refurb store much longer.
Yeah I figured I could, but honestly I'm not sure I actually need more than 2x 21" screens. Besides some gaming, I'd otherwise mostly be using it for AutoCAD and Flowmaster, and neither I think would benefit anymore from the larger screen (but I'm always open to having my mind changed!)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

Yeah I figured I could, but honestly I'm not sure I actually need more than 2x 21" screens. Besides some gaming, I'd otherwise mostly be using it for AutoCAD and Flowmaster, and neither I think would benefit anymore from the larger screen (but I'm always open to having my mind changed!)

21.5" is the minimum size, and bigger is always better. You can't quite get two windows side by side @ 1920x1080

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"Why you should use a Mac Pro and not a Mini for a file server"

Let's say you have 2TB of data. You connect your little RAID box storage unit via Firewire 800. Sure, it only transfers at 80MB/s but that's fine because you're running over gigabit ethernet, and a lot of your clients are laptops which can barely suck data that fast anyway. Or even worse, they're on wifi.

Here's the problem: You gotta back that poo poo up. 1 TB of data takes 10 hours or so to copy to a USB 2.0 external HD. gently caress. Hopefully you have a way to do incremental backups, and it can still take a while to scan 2TB worth of data.

If you have a newer Mini and money spilling out of your ears, you can buy a Pegasus TB RAID and TB external HD's and your backups will go quickly.

Now, if you have a Mac Pro, you can just load that fucker up with 2/3TB HD's and back up using eSATA (or even FW800). You'll also have dual-gigabit ethernet in case you get hammered by 5 clients wanting a bunch of huge files at once.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You shouldn't be using either of those as a file server. Buy or build a dedicated NAS.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

A new air would be so so so much better than your MBP. I wouldn't put any more money in it.

Yeah going from a old 3/4 generation Mac to the latest is always a fun experience.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

If you have a newer Mini and money spilling out of your ears, you can buy a Pegasus TB RAID and TB external HD's and your backups will go quickly.

Now, if you have a Mac Pro, you can just load that fucker up with 2/3TB HD's and back up using eSATA (or even FW800). You'll also have dual-gigabit ethernet in case you get hammered by 5 clients wanting a bunch of huge files at once.
If you have a newer mini you have USB 3.0 :v:. And since you don't need the TB port for fast drive storage anymore you can get the $30 TB-gigabit adapter for another ethernet port. Or I guess spend $300 or so to get that stuff on the 2011 model with one of those TB dock things, but at that price you might as well swap for a new mini entirely.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So, at least partly on the advice of this thread I went out and bought a 13" Air and it's excellent. The only problem I have is I need to get a NAS setup or something for file storage.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

You shouldn't be using either of those as a file server. Buy or build a dedicated NAS.

Yeah, you should've said "Why you shouldn't buy a Mac for a file server."

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is retina technology just too far out for a 27" retina iMac any time soon?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Just installed a Intel 330 180GB SSD in my 2012 Mac Mini and my god what a difference, I'm in love. I didn't do fusion since I'll just keep movies and other media on the old HD, so didn't see the point.

Took about 30 minutes to do, if I had to do again it would probably take about 10 minutes, worst part was the IR board cable was tight to get to and unhook, other than that it was a breeze.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is retina technology just too far out for a 27" retina iMac any time soon?

Considering that screen would have more pixels than a 4K TV, it'll be at least a year, probably longer.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

carry on then posted:

Considering that screen would have more pixels than a 4K TV, it'll be at least a year, probably longer.

Yeah the whole Retina line has also had many manufacturing challenges and a lack of additional suppliers which means it will be a few years until it's cost effective to make as the cheaper TN panels.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edit: oops, posted in sa-mart, sorry.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 8, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Today my iMac came with a Magic Mouse that I'm never using. Anyone want it for $40 shipped?
SA-Mart, not here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Today my iMac came with a Magic Mouse that I'm never using. Anyone want it for $40 shipped?

You pay me $40 to take it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

I would take it with $30.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Quick question - every so often, I see people refer to how much quantity is available of some item on the refurb store. How is the quantity able to be seen? It'd be nice to know sometimes how much of something in stock there is so I can rush faster to order an iMac.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I...have no clue, can't say I recall people saying specific quantities of anything myself. The only thing I know is that cheaper Mac minis generally don't last long when they show up, if they're there at all you just kind of assume it's low quantity. I haven't shopped for an iMac but I guess there could be a similar case with particular desirable models/configurations, but I wouldn't know which ones those are.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So I've been fooling around with my 27" iMac with Fusion drive being the only upgrade and I like it a lot. Runs quiet and cool and I'm not seeing any build problems that I read about on Macrumors.

Thank God it's quiet since my last 2011 model's hard drive was noisy as hell. I'm not noticing too much glare, at least not enough to annoy me. I have a Dell IPS matte monitor right next to it and it's not that bad in comparison. As for the thinness - I'm not seeing any benefit whatsoever. Takes up the same amount of desk space as my 2011 version except the SD card is harder to reach.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 8, 2013

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

SourKraut posted:

Quick question - every so often, I see people refer to how much quantity is available of some item on the refurb store. How is the quantity able to be seen? It'd be nice to know sometimes how much of something in stock there is so I can rush faster to order an iMac.

refurb.me lists quantities on a lot of items.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Put an item in your cart, and on the next page change the quantity to 999. If there are less available, it'll give you a warning and switch the quantity. e.g. just tried it with the first Mac Mini shown, and it changed it to 74.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

Took it to an Apple Store today and they swapped me a Magic Trackpad :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

That was very nice of them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im having trouble getting my Airport Express (old style) to extend my wifi network.

on my imac, I have the latest airport utility and the Express has the latest firmware (as in, the stuff that was released yesterday).

I can configure it to join my network, use airplay, and all that jazz. when I use Airport utility to "extend an existing network" it will reboot and get stuck on the flashing orange light, and airport utility no longer detects it.

I have tried using the iOS airport utility, the windows utility, and of course the OS X utility.

my router is a Netgear WNDR3700 which while its probably getting a little old, works flawlessly. I have tried on both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz networks.

am I missing something here? My imac is on ethernet, so am i supposed to enable the wifi to be able to continue to administrate the Express? I know you have to do that to do the initial setup, but I can see it in Airport utility right now working as an airplay device via my ethernet connection with wifi off.

is it just a matter of the device not working and I should replace it?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The only "supported" configuration is to extend another AirPort network. I've had very mixed success with other routers.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

The only "supported" configuration is to extend another AirPort network. I've had very mixed success with other routers.

Oh right, well it would be super helpful if they made that clear at any of the points through the setup.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
How's the build quality of the MacBook Air vs the Pro? A relative of mine wants a MacBook and my dad and I have different opinions on which to get. I'm telling my relative to get the Air because its cheaper and she doesn't need the extra power. My dad is saying to get the Pro because he thinks the air is really fragile due to how thin it is. My relative does travel a bit and we have another relative who had the Air and somehow cracked the screen (Were not sure how he managed to crack the screen).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm no expert but I bet any abuse that'd crack an Air screen would crack a Pro screen just as well. They seem pretty well built to me. They're thin, but they're unibody aluminum and there's no obvious weak point in their construction. If you're looking at non-Retina MBP, it's probably sturdier because there are fewer moving parts.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
The screens are pretty much equally fragile - if you would break the screen on the Air, you'd probably have broken the glass on the Pro.

I'm generally impressed with the Air. One of my employees has one to take around with him, and while his old machine looked like poo poo, the Air (with a Speck case to prevent scratches) is in great shape still.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The pro screen has a glass overlay which is much more prone to breaking than the airs.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Ah, thanks guys. I showed him your posts and he shrugged it off saying, "Oh okay, then why'd I read so many reviews about screens breaking?" He then went on to say that "I still think the Pro is better for traveling." I'm never going to win this debate. :negative:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wanna see those reviews because I definitely never knew about it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mu Zeta posted:

Is the Apple mouse really that bad?

My USB one is seriously old (mousewheel barely works), and I plan to get either a bluetooth mouse or trackpad for my Mini, to free up the port.

I just want something that scrolls well. :geno:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

keevo posted:

Ah, thanks guys. I showed him your posts and he shrugged it off saying, "Oh okay, then why'd I read so many reviews about screens breaking?" He then went on to say that "I still think the Pro is better for traveling." I'm never going to win this debate. :negative:
Tell him to see them in store, pick it up, play around with them, etc. Maybe say something about the fragility of additional moving parts in the MBP, "the drive holding all your important files is spinning at THOUSANDS OF RPMS!" (and hope he doesn't think of how fast common car engine crankshafts rotate).

Mister Macys posted:

My USB one is seriously old (mousewheel barely works), and I plan to get either a bluetooth mouse or trackpad for my Mini, to free up the port.

I was fine with it, but there's particular limitations with it. Most seem centered around gaming so I haven't really run into them though, like you can't click both buttons at the same time and it doesn't have notched scrolling. A lot of people just couldn't get used to the form factor, particularly if you're coming from one of the bigger/taller mice shapes it can be a big adjustment. If that stuff isn't an issue it's a decent mouse, smooth and multidirectional scrolling is nice, and it's easy to get used to the left/right gestures when browsing. And if you want more you can do some extra stuff with third party utilities, like I had some Exposé/Mission Control stuff mapped to three finger swipes.

But you can do more with the trackpad, and be somewhat lazier too! I have three and four finger gestures (and I think some rarely used five finger ones) and since you can mouse around with just a finger, technically you don't have to move your hand as much (even if it is a tiny difference). And with tap clicks and three finger drags, I rarely even have to physically click the thing. And I guess that makes it easier to use away from a desk if that ever comes up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mister Macys posted:

I think the mouse makes too many compromises since it tries to be both a mouse and a trackpad. I rather just have one of each, so I use a Logitech mouse and the Trackpad separately.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it completely ignores ergonomics. It's not totally unusable but it's a design that should've been canned early in development. I think Apple has always had a strange inability to make a good mouse. In my opinion bluetooth mice cost too much and have too many points at which they gently caress up. I've owned a couple and there's always been something or another. Now I'm using a $7 Kensington Mouse in a Box which works better than any of them. Just don't be a baby about cables and it will be fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Coming from an Air, the screen of the rMBP is annoyingly glossy.

loving sun + huge windows. I'm facing the window because if the sun is behind you, you can't see poo poo and now the sun bounces off me and that's all I see in the reflection on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bit of an odd issue. I have an early 2011 macbook pro that stays plugged in on my desk for most of its life. Last week it started acting unusual in that the battery was dead.

code:
Battery Information:

Model Information:
  Serial Number:	D86107604R9DGDLA1
  Manufacturer:	SMP
  Device Name:	bq20z451
  Pack Lot Code:	0
  PCB Lot Code:	0
  Firmware Version:	406
  Hardware Revision:	2
  Cell Revision:	158
  Charge Information:
  Charge Remaining (mAh):	9
  Fully Charged:	Yes
  Charging:	No
  Full Charge Capacity (mAh):	9
  Health Information:
  Cycle Count:	12
  Condition:	Replace Now
  Battery Installed:	Yes
  Amperage (mA):	0
  Voltage (mV):	8671
If the computer loses connection to the charger cable then it hibernates. When I shut it down, it turns itself back on after being plugged in. I don't need to hit the power button. And when it starts up it makes the cd eject noise three times before it gives the start up chime. Once the desktop is loaded the time and date need to be updated.

No problems otherwise. I assume replacing the battery should fix all the problems? My cycle count is really low but I imagine that's because I leave it plugged in all the time.

Just sucks because I'll have to have a dealer do the replacement. Replacing the batteries on the old macbook pros was so much easier.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 10, 2013