Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

My three youngest girl cats love belly rubs while my youngest boy cat will bite and scratch the hell out of my hand and arm. Our oldest girl cat is a tubby, and I use to love tickling her belly since she's so heavy which makes it easier for me to keep her and harder for her to get off her back. However, I don't usually do that because she get anxious and scared thus peeing herself and all over the floor/my lap/furniture. Our male stray cat we brought in still has a bare belly from when we neutered him, but he never really reacted and doesn't now when I give him belly rubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Robot Mil posted:

I have a kitty behaviour question!

We have two cats around 5 years old, both have always been indoor cats and we've been happy to keep them that way. However Hector has 'escaped' a couple of times since we adopted them last summer. Once for a few hours (we were out having a BBQ and didn't notice he'd sneaked through an open window) and once for just a minute or two after he legged it out the front door while we were carrying boxes in. We immediately chased him down and brought him back in but he was happy to go off wandering and exploring.

Ever since his second escape, Hector has been meowing pitifully at the front door and scratching at it. I don't want to start any kind of 'should cats play outside' argument, but I just want a bit of reassurance that we're not bad cat-parents for keeping him indoors :ohdear: Our decision to keep them indoor cats is based on us not having a catflap (we're renting) so they couldn't get in and out easily if we're not home, plus there's lots of other cats around and we're near quite busy roads and we don't want them getting hurt!

He probably really likes it, all three of mine are primarly indoor cats but they enjoy some outside time and now that they have a large fenced in yard to roam in they are very happy. (unless it is covered in snow then they :catstare: at me to make it go away.)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I can give my Jackie-cat belly rubs if I want, but I am doubtful as to how much she may or may not actually enjoy them. But the fact that she tolerates them from me is huge. Back when she lived with my parents she just didn't put up with it, and if someone tried to touch her belly (or one of her paws, god forbid) she wouldn't necessarily scratch or bite, although she might. Typically though, she would just leave, humorlessly, and run away if pursued, as if you had seriously done something to wound her. It was actually sad, I always wanted to run after and try and be like "No Jackie it's okay we love you!" but that doesn't really work too well and ultimately sends the wrong message.

But she really is different now, of course. Not only can I give her belly-rubs, I can plant my face in her belly with closed eyes and nuzzle it for as long as I want, which is a pretty wonderful feeling given how insanely soft cat-belly-fur is. It's all very theraputic. It works because she never scratches or bites me, and we have a very good and established level of trust between one another - a unique experience for me with a cat. I highly recommend the experience, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have at least twenty new scratches now.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Our slightly older kitten died two weeks ago at nine months of a congenital heart defect. Its been real doom and gloom since then. We're really worried about our surviving kitten. He spent the first week looking for her (I was too irrational when we found her to consider letting him sniff her body), but now he's just really clingy. We both work 8-5 and we feel really bad about leaving him at home by himself. We're debating jumping back in with a new kitten, but I'm worried about rushing him. It seems like a potential lose-lose. He's either lonely and stressed or adjusting to a new cat and stressed. He's about six-months old.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
When Ozma was a kitten, she was the most stand-offish of her litter of 3. They were all to be farm cats, and like most unfixed tom cats on a farm in the middle of nowhere with no boundaries, her two brothers took off to the wild yonder when they hit sexual maturity.

She became really insecure and clingy after that, following her owners around, crying at the door, begging for attention and insisting on snuggles at all times. If she left to wander, it was never far, and she'd talk to you the whole time.

She was happy to move in with me, but still clingy and lonely. I was worried too about adding a new cat and stressing her out, but I'm really glad I did. If you're planning on getting another cat anyway, I'd say go for it before she gets older and used to being Number One and Only. Either way she'll adapt, to a new cat or to being alone. If you wanted another cat ANYWAY though, I'd say go for it while she's still young.

Sorry about your kitten :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Robot Mil posted:

I have a kitty behaviour question!

We have two cats around 5 years old, both have always been indoor cats and we've been happy to keep them that way. However Hector has 'escaped' a couple of times since we adopted them last summer. Once for a few hours (we were out having a BBQ and didn't notice he'd sneaked through an open window) and once for just a minute or two after he legged it out the front door while we were carrying boxes in. We immediately chased him down and brought him back in but he was happy to go off wandering and exploring.

Ever since his second escape, Hector has been meowing pitifully at the front door and scratching at it. I don't want to start any kind of 'should cats play outside' argument, but I just want a bit of reassurance that we're not bad cat-parents for keeping him indoors :ohdear: Our decision to keep them indoor cats is based on us not having a catflap (we're renting) so they couldn't get in and out easily if we're not home, plus there's lots of other cats around and we're near quite busy roads and we don't want them getting hurt!

Take that cat outside on a leash, seriously. Get him a walking jacket (it's like a kitty harness that is much harder for them to slip out of) and walk him around. That way he can get his fill of ~*~nature~*~ and you don't have to worry about any of the negative aspects of letting him outside unsupervised. It's a win-win. Just make sure he's only a flea/tick preventative.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Huntersoninski posted:

Sorry about your kitten :(

Thank you. It was a tremendous shock. She was a very playful and active cat and twenty minutes after dinner she was just gone. Here they are the night before she died; Kima is the black teddy bear and Walter Buttons is the tabby using her as a pillow:

We are definitely going to get another kitten so that Walter doesn't get lonely throughout the day. He has two settings, PLAY WITH ME and HOLD ME.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
So after some thought and advice from this thread, we went ahead and adopted another kitten! Her name is Dinah, and she is a six month old just like our current kitty Louie.

We got her thursday night and have had her in the bathroom since. We attempted to let her roam free by herself in a larger room, but she smelled around meowed about it for a min then hid under the bed. Not wanting to come out and then becoming scared of us. Sounds like too soon for her.

We were warned from the SPCA that she was skittish, which we observed. She will flinch when you got to pet her 50% of the time, the other times she is fine with having her head rubbed. What are some tips with helping us get her more outgoing and less scared? Also should I keep from trying to introducing her to the rest of the house?

We dont even know about Louie, he knows another cat is in the house, we put their food dishes by the door so they can smell each other while they eat.

I am just afraid she is going to be super skittsh all the time, when Louie is such an outgoing kitty.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

PrettyhateM posted:

So after some thought and advice from this thread, we went ahead and adopted another kitten! Her name is Dinah, and she is a six month old just like our current kitty Louie.

We got her thursday night and have had her in the bathroom since. We attempted to let her roam free by herself in a larger room, but she smelled around meowed about it for a min then hid under the bed. Not wanting to come out and then becoming scared of us. Sounds like too soon for her.

We were warned from the SPCA that she was skittish, which we observed. She will flinch when you got to pet her 50% of the time, the other times she is fine with having her head rubbed. What are some tips with helping us get her more outgoing and less scared? Also should I keep from trying to introducing her to the rest of the house?

We dont even know about Louie, he knows another cat is in the house, we put their food dishes by the door so they can smell each other while they eat.

I am just afraid she is going to be super skittsh all the time, when Louie is such an outgoing kitty.

Give her time before you introduce her to the whole house, yeah. When she flinches, I'd just keep scritching. Try not to flinch yourself in response. Wake her up and make brief eye contact before going in for the petting, and don't put your hand towards her face- start from the side or below. She may always be more skittish than Louie, or she may just need some time to come into herself now that she's not on the streets or in a shelter. Soft voices, approach her by zig zagging (don't walk directly toward a skittish cat because it is unnerving), pets, treats, the blinky eye thing (ask if you don't know what I mean)... she'll probably warm up pretty quickly. Most cats are not actually antisocial.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 10, 2013

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Okay, so, I just adopted this pretty little 1-year old cat that I've decided to name Kali, after the Hindu goddess:

(Which reminds me - I need to do something about the edges of my cheap attic/bedroom carpet. I'm working on the wires as we speak.)

It took her just a day before she was ready to explore the whole house. I can't believe my first cat manages to be so ridiculously friendly to people. The only thing she's wary of is the dog, but Zoey's been scared off right quick after a bat to the ears.

Kali shakes her ears a lot when people pet her, but I haven't seen her do it in any other occasions, and her head isn't at any weird tilt. I looked at her ears, and as far as I can tell they seem OK, though it's kinda hard to see anything deep in. Should I be worried about ear mites or infection?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If the cat meows a shitload when you close the door to your room, are there any lasting consequences if you never open it up?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

If the cat meows a shitload when you close the door to your room, are there any lasting consequences if you never open it up?

Nah. Actually you should try not to open it up because you don't want to associate meow at door=door is opened.

quote:

Kali shakes her ears a lot when people pet her, but I haven't seen her do it in any other occasions, and her head isn't at any weird tilt. I looked at her ears, and as far as I can tell they seem OK, though it's kinda hard to see anything deep in. Should I be worried about ear mites or infection?

If you haven't had the ears checked by your vet already, consider doing that. Otherwise, don't think it's much cause for concern if the only time she eartwitches is when someone touches her ears.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Nah. Actually you should try not to open it up because you don't want to associate meow at door=door is opened.

Alright.

I'm thinking that Holly and I aren't a good fit. She seems to actively dislike interacting with humans, and has bitten/scratched me a few too many times than I care for. She just seems to be unhappy with the living situation and I've had too many problems with her for me to be all that happy either. Plus, I definitely have allergic reactions to the scratches and bites - I'm all itchy and hive-y now. The last time she bit me, she drew blood.

I dunno, I don't want to blame the cat. Holly didn't do anything wrong, and she's not a Bad Cat. I saw her just a second ago, for the first time, playing with a toy and seeming like she's enjoying herself - but when she got close and I stroked her a little, she scratched and bit again. We just aren't a good fit and I don't know if I'm up for much longer of this.

I may have to surrender her back to Broken Tail, and if I decide that I'm still interested in adoption, I'm going to stand my ground when trying to work with them, and let them know what I need. Last time, they seemed too pushy to get rid of Holly - which suggests that they knew of her issues and kinda makes me wary of the place to be honest. That, and they adopt out of a Petsmart, which skeeves me a little.

I'll try again, I will, but this time I need my space for a bit so I can sit back and think about my next move.

Here's the email I'm sending to the rescue:

quote:

After being with Holly for a week or two, I've decided that we aren't a very good fit. She has had some behavioral problems and unease with her living situation, primarily in respect to human socialization and satisfaction with her environment. She does not seek out human affection and expresses distaste at receiving it. She seems to be very unhappy interacting with humans, as she has lashed out and bitten/scratched me many times when I pet or brush her, occasionally to the point of drawing blood. Visitors also agitate her and I am worried about Holly scratching or injuring them on my watch. She is also at times restless and regardless of how much I attempt to play with her. I cannot distract her from scratching the walls and doorposts, nor can I keep her attention long enough to tire her out. She is not interested in eating any food I give her, regardless of wet, dry, or human food. However, she continually seeks attention and draws me to her food bowl, but rejects that attention whenever I try to remedy whatever I feel she needs.

I may simply be an inexperienced cat owner, and I do not want to blame the cat - Holly isn't a bad cat - but I just don't think that this will work out. She seems to agree with me, since we haven't gotten along very well at all. I am interested in surrendering her back to Broken Tail, as I believe she has a better chance at an appropriate living situation and owner than she would if she would stay with me.

I am still interested in adoption, but likely not at this time. I am still up to working with Broken Tail for a future cat, or possibly two, but I would like more time and exposure to whoever I meet in order to really understand them and get a feel for whether they will be a good fit for my household. I'd like to work with a volunteer one-on-one to see if the cat can adjust to the food I give it, its temperament around other people, general personality, etc., for any further adoptions.

Please let me know how to get the surrender process going,

Pollyanna

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2013

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm done with this loving cat and its litter problems. I've tried every drat method of making the cat poop in the box and none of them are working. It will pee in the box, but it continues to poop in the floor randomly making us spend hundreds in cleaning supplies every month.

We've kept the litter clean.
We've moved the box where she usually poops.
We even got lower cat boxes and covered cat boxes.
We've even changed the litter types.
We've been to the vet

Wherever we put a litter box, she uses it as a carte blanche to poop wherever in that room. I thought maybe she was pooping on the way to the litter box after observing her poop on the steps to our basement(where we keep it,) but putting the box next to where she sleeps just resulted in more pooping in that room. I don't think she's ever pooped in the box. We've had to close every door that we could to keep the mess contained to a TV room, living room and basement. She's 12 years old and we just can't figure it out. We've been to a vet. They said everything was fine with her after a very expensive blood test and all they did was give us documents referring to all the sites that have already been recommended.

We will be locking her in the laundry room in another day (not my choice.) I've asked here before, but nothing seemed to fix the problem. Any other ideas?

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 10, 2013

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Pollyanna posted:

I'm thinking that Holly and I aren't a good fit.

I'm sorry to hear that. How old is Holly? It's been about 2 weeks since you brought her home, and sometimes an olderish cat is going to take a bit longer to adjust...sometimes even a month or more. However it sounds like you think the shelter was aware of her issues, and if that's how it is, you shouldn't have to suffer. When it boils down to it, pets are for your enjoyment.

quote:

That, and they adopt out of a Petsmart, which skeeves me a little.

As far as I know, Petsmart (around here at least) partners with animal charities for their cat and dog adoptions. You aren't adopting a cat from Petsmart, but from your local animal protective league. Petsmart provides a "showcase", food and litter, basically, and the shelter workers are there to answer questions about the pets and their personalities, and to provide adoption paperwork.

http://pets.petsmart.com/adoptions/#1

petsmart.com posted:

Today, there are millions of loveable, healthy dogs & cats that desperately need homes. Due to overpopulation of homeless pets, 4 million are euthanized every year— that's 11,000 pets every day. For this reason, PetSmart has chosen not to sell dogs or cats and instead we join forces with PetSmart Charities to help save the lives of pets through adoptions. Many homeless pets are purebred, so even if you’re looking for a particular breed, our adoptions program can help you find your next best friend.

My experience with the APL at my local petsmart was amazing. As soon as the workers noticed me eyeballing the cats they asked about my home and about Ozma. They actually led me AWAY from a couple cats I really liked in favor of a little gray boy they called "Rocco." I didn't get the sense that they were trying to foist him on me, but that they were really looking out for me, and Ozma.

SO I work my way to the back, find "Rocco" and he was pretty much perfect. He came home as Pizza Brother later that week.

I'm not saying that your shelter was great and all Petsmart adoptions are awesome, or that you have to go back to Petsmart to adopt, I just don't want you or others to be turned away from or sketched out by a really legit place to adopt a friend in need.

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 10, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Petsmart in my area does it from charities as well.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know, I was just a little skeptical about how the cats were housed. I don't like the cubicle idea, but it may be more out of necessity than anything...

It's more than "pets are for my enjoyment" in my opinion, I think both the owner and the pet need to enjoy each other's company. Holly does not enjoy my company, which is one thing, but she rejects my affection in a somewhat...what's the word, "sharp" kind of way, which makes it hard for me to enjoy her company. Doubly so when I know that my company pisses her off. The cat really needs to at least return my affections (or at least tolerate them) so that I can enjoy its company. It's a fit for both of us, you see. We both have needs, and unfortunately, I don't fulfill Holly's, so she can't fulfill mine. No fault of her own, but it isn't working out all the same.

This sounds kinda crazy, but there is a bit of reciprocation going on here. Like, with the family dog, he's not super cuddly or anything - but he definitely appreciates us and likes to hang out with us. He checks in on where we are, he sleeps in my bed from time to time, he comes when called, he comes back if he gets out...like, he obviously likes us, or he wouldn't bother with this stuff. I know a dog isn't a cat, loving duh, but I consider that sort of thing integral to an owner-pet relationship.

edit the deed is done, good luck holly

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 10, 2013

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.
This question's been asked a hundred times before but, I need to wrap my mind around it again.

My husband recently got accepted to a university in Los Angeles for a fall program. This means picking up our life here, in Philadelphia, and moving out west. We are trying to figure out what will be the best, least stressful way to move Lilly out there. The most we've driven her has been 45 minutes the day we brought her home and beyond that the most is the unpleasant trips to the vet for shots. Now we're stuck with either a 41 (approx) hour drive or a 6 hour flight from here to there. I feel that flying would be our best option but, he thinks that driving would be better. Either way, we are stressing about this due to a extended family members pets going bonkers after going through a long move and we really, really don't want to have that happen to Lilly.

So, cat thread, who else has moved a huge distance with a catte before and how did they handle it?

Lilly's vitals:
1.5 years (will be 2-ish at move time)
10 lbs
Healthy
Spayed

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This isn't really pet cat related, per se, but does anyone know of any books on or about cats and their capability to learn/process thought? Are there any books on that stuff?

I was just wondering how much my cat is capable of thinking of.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Pollyanna posted:

Sorry again it didn't work out. Hopefully the next shelter/shelter worker is more honest and helpful in making a good match, and good on you for you for your willingness to try again.

Night Canoodler
Oct 13, 2003

IT'S A TRAP!
A week and a half ago we adopted a 1 year old female (I don't have any pictures with me right now but you can see one here http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/adoption/detail/19022704 )to be a companion to our 3 year old female. Things have started off ok although the 3 year old can be a bit of a bully sometimes and the new cat is the sweetest thing ever but we are having problems with her scratching at door frames, table legs, sides of dressers etc. It seems anything that's wood and allows her to vertical scratch is fair game. We've tried putting double sided tape up but she doesn't seem to care. She uses all the other actual cat scratchers, some of which allow the vertical scratching, but nothing seems to quell her need for scratching everything we don't want her to. What else can we do?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We've been watching two cats since early December. The male has developed a strange thinning of fur or something on his nose. It comes and goes somewhat, and the owners said it wasn't there when they left the cats on the mainland for quarantine. It doesn't seem to bother him, and his owners have been over and seen it and aren't concerned. Is this just something that happens, or should they get it looked at?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Night Canoodler posted:

A week and a half ago we adopted a 1 year old female (I don't have any pictures with me right now but you can see one here http://www.animalhumanesociety.org/adoption/detail/19022704 )to be a companion to our 3 year old female. Things have started off ok although the 3 year old can be a bit of a bully sometimes and the new cat is the sweetest thing ever but we are having problems with her scratching at door frames, table legs, sides of dressers etc. It seems anything that's wood and allows her to vertical scratch is fair game. We've tried putting double sided tape up but she doesn't seem to care. She uses all the other actual cat scratchers, some of which allow the vertical scratching, but nothing seems to quell her need for scratching everything we don't want her to. What else can we do?

Petco sells a spray that is basically citrus oil, diluted cinnamon oil and soap that dissuades them from going near those areas. That might work.

Downside (upside?) is your poo poo will smell like cinnamon and citrus.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

hooah posted:

We've been watching two cats since early December. The male has developed a strange thinning of fur or something on his nose. It comes and goes somewhat, and the owners said it wasn't there when they left the cats on the mainland for quarantine. It doesn't seem to bother him, and his owners have been over and seen it and aren't concerned. Is this just something that happens, or should they get it looked at?

That ain't normal. They should get it checked out.

uptown
May 16, 2009

squeee posted:

This question's been asked a hundred times before but, I need to wrap my mind around it again.

My husband recently got accepted to a university in Los Angeles for a fall program. This means picking up our life here, in Philadelphia, and moving out west. We are trying to figure out what will be the best, least stressful way to move Lilly out there. The most we've driven her has been 45 minutes the day we brought her home and beyond that the most is the unpleasant trips to the vet for shots. Now we're stuck with either a 41 (approx) hour drive or a 6 hour flight from here to there. I feel that flying would be our best option but, he thinks that driving would be better. Either way, we are stressing about this due to a extended family members pets going bonkers after going through a long move and we really, really don't want to have that happen to Lilly.

So, cat thread, who else has moved a huge distance with a catte before and how did they handle it?

Lilly's vitals:
1.5 years (will be 2-ish at move time)
10 lbs
Healthy
Spayed

Does he think driving would be better for you two, or for the cat?

I would fly. If driving is a better option for you and your husband with regards to transporting your things as well as cost, then maybe you two could drive, and have a friend look after Lilly for a few days until you arrive, then have her flown down? Get a sedative from the vet, make sure she doesn't eat or drink before the flight so she doesn't feel the need to soil her carrier, etc. Airlines usually ship pets fairly cheaply, google around and see what you can find.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dr. Chaco posted:

That ain't normal. They should get it checked out.

I'll let them know. He and their other cat play/fight. Could that just be from her gnawing at his face a bit?

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

uptown posted:

I would fly. If driving is a better option for you and your husband with regards to transporting your things as well as cost, then maybe you two could drive, and have a friend look after Lilly for a few days until you arrive, then have her flown down? Get a sedative from the vet, make sure she doesn't eat or drink before the flight so she doesn't feel the need to soil her carrier, etc. Airlines usually ship pets fairly cheaply, google around and see what you can find.

Don't ever sedate a pet for a flight. Ever. I know you mean that well and most people worry about their pets being stressed out, but the pet will be fine. With a sedative, an animal loses the ability to thermoregulate and many other important functions are altered and they are exponentially more likely to die during travel. A vet should never be okay with giving a sedative for plane travel and the airlines will make you sign a waiver that you did not give the animal a sedative of any type before the flight.

hooah posted:

I'll let them know. He and their other cat play/fight. Could that just be from her gnawing at his face a bit?

Doubtful. That needs a skin scraping and culture.

ISUCHARESLOLO
Dec 10, 2005

The verb "to google" has come to mean "to perform a Web search", usually with the Google search engine.
While I was cleaning up a mess my kitten had made, I noticed she had gotten her paws on a clorox disinfecting wipe that must have come off of the one I was using. She put it in her mouth and chewed it about once or twice, from what I was able to see, before I was able to yank it out of her mouth. She seems fine right now and I know these wipes don't contain any bleach, but I'm totally freaked! Any immediate action that I can take?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Call your e-vet, see what they say, not the internet.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

When I see circles I immediately think ringworm. Don't know what it is, but for emphasis:

Enelrahc posted:

That needs a skin scraping and culture.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't think this has been mentioned here, but as this is the cat megathread, I don't see why not!

Shocker! Internet Votes Cat as New Monopoly Piece!

Basically, Hasbro had an online poll to decide what the new piece would be. Since they did this ONLINE they clearly should have realized that the cat would win in a landslide, given that the cat is essentially the spirit animal of the internet. It is a VERY cute piece, though, and it almost makes me want to buy a new Monopoly set just to have the sweet cat figurine. Almost.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Pollyanna posted:

I know, I was just a little skeptical about how the cats were housed. I don't like the cubicle idea, but it may be more out of necessity than anything...

It's more than "pets are for my enjoyment" in my opinion, I think both the owner and the pet need to enjoy each other's company. Holly does not enjoy my company, which is one thing, but she rejects my affection in a somewhat...what's the word, "sharp" kind of way, which makes it hard for me to enjoy her company. Doubly so when I know that my company pisses her off. The cat really needs to at least return my affections (or at least tolerate them) so that I can enjoy its company. It's a fit for both of us, you see. We both have needs, and unfortunately, I don't fulfill Holly's, so she can't fulfill mine. No fault of her own, but it isn't working out all the same.

This sounds kinda crazy, but there is a bit of reciprocation going on here. Like, with the family dog, he's not super cuddly or anything - but he definitely appreciates us and likes to hang out with us. He checks in on where we are, he sleeps in my bed from time to time, he comes when called, he comes back if he gets out...like, he obviously likes us, or he wouldn't bother with this stuff. I know a dog isn't a cat, loving duh, but I consider that sort of thing integral to an owner-pet relationship.

For your next try, look for a cat that's middle-aged or truly senior (7-10+). You may have to deal with later-life medical issues sooner rather than later, but you'll also be less likely to get a hellion. It may also take months for a cat to bond to people - some cats hide for the first couple of weeks they're in a new home. The adage about cats being magnetically attracted to the people who act most aloof has some kernel of truth.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Flying will work better I think a few at least let you do them as a carry on as long as you get a small enough carrier to fit under a seat. This way you can jam your fingers into the carriers front so they can nuzzle (MAUL) your hand en route and be more comfortable.

squeee
Apr 23, 2009

the thrill of the chase.

uptown posted:

He thinks it'll be better for Lilly to be driven, something along the lines of it's going to be less overwhelming than a loud, rumbly plane. I think it'd be better to just fly her out and get it over with right away basically. I just think it'll be stressful no matter what we do. The plan (as of now) was to have us drive out there with all our possessions and leave Lilly in the care of my Mom-in-law and then one of us flies back to pick her up and bring her there whilst the other stays in LA and sets stuff up.

AtomikKrab posted:

Flying will work better I think a few at least let you do them as a carry on as long as you get a small enough carrier to fit under a seat. This way you can jam your fingers into the carriers front so they can nuzzle (MAUL) your hand en route and be more comfortable.

This is what I was wondering about. Lilly does get REALLY loud in carriers and sort of has a mini-breakdown which I am trying to negate by letting have free reign of the carrier at home. I just leave it out so she can move in and out of it as she pleases. I have no idea if that's a good at all but it's all I can think of to get her to be less pissed off about it when the time comes. I've flown a lot and not once seen a kitty get flown somewhere and I think that's the only reason I am stressed about flying her. :shobon:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

squeee posted:

He thinks it'll be better for Lilly to be driven, something along the lines of it's going to be less overwhelming than a loud, rumbly plane. I think it'd be better to just fly her out and get it over with right away basically. I just think it'll be stressful no matter what we do. The plan (as of now) was to have us drive out there with all our possessions and leave Lilly in the care of my Mom-in-law and then one of us flies back to pick her up and bring her there whilst the other stays in LA and sets stuff up.

This is what I was wondering about. Lilly does get REALLY loud in carriers and sort of has a mini-breakdown which I am trying to negate by letting have free reign of the carrier at home. I just leave it out so she can move in and out of it as she pleases. I have no idea if that's a good at all but it's all I can think of to get her to be less pissed off about it when the time comes. I've flown a lot and not once seen a kitty get flown somewhere and I think that's the only reason I am stressed about flying her. :shobon:

Anecdotal, but I'd say fly.
Had a friend who had a fairly shy/nervous cat, and she was moving pretty far away. Took her on the plane, and no problems - whined a little while waiting at the terminal, but once on the plane she just settled down and slept. Talk to your vet re: a good time to withhold food/water so she doesn't soil the crate (or less likely to), but pack a small thing of wet naps and a bottle of water and you should be fine just in case.

Personally speaking, we moved 2200km east this year. Left my cats with my parents, and had Air Canada (I'm Canadian, so, whoever your local carrier is) fly the cats Cargo (pet cargo, that is.) Vet recommended a late feeding, and no breakfast, and pulling water about 2-3 hours before the flight. Did that, and they got here just fine. Little angry, but no harm done. They got extra pets, lots of play and a fairly overly-large feeding of just wet that night to "reward" them...then I locked them in the bathroom for a day to make sure they didn't get out while the movers hauled everything in the house heheheheh.

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Well I didn't see this in the faq anywhere, so I'm just gonna ask here. I'm thinking about toilet training my cat. Anyone used that poo poo? It work? Looks like Litter Kwitter and Citi Kitty are the ones that come up, any recommendations? Would it be too hard to train a cat who has been using a litter box for a while?

tia

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ronald Raiden posted:

Well I didn't see this in the faq anywhere, so I'm just gonna ask here. I'm thinking about toilet training my cat. Anyone used that poo poo? It work? Looks like Litter Kwitter and Citi Kitty are the ones that come up, any recommendations? Would it be too hard to train a cat who has been using a litter box for a while?

tia

My cats all drink from the toilet so I think it is too late for me. If they are drinking out of it i'd say you shouldn't if they aren't I heard you can do it fairly easily.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Has anyone here ever given live feeder fish to their cat? I feel like my cat Oliver would LOVE this, but I'm finding conflicting information about it online. If it won't make him sick or choke him I will buy 2-3 and let him have a fishing party.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Turns out I'm an idiot.
I posted a few days ago about my cat, Sampson, who's been throwing up after eating this new (allegedly much better) food I've been buying him. I tried moving the water away from his food bowl, as suggested here, because he does tend to drink a lot immediately after eating and this could make him sick. It didn't help.

To see if it was the food or not, I bought him yet another different decent brand and also the (lovely) brand I used to feed him until I realised how godawful it was. He was fine for days. On Friday, I tried mixing some of the supposedly good food with some of the new good food and sure enough he threw up about an hour and a half after he ate it. I was looking through the ingredients with my mate who also owns a cat and we both figured it looked great, nutrition-wise. Then I noticed that it's been out of date for about four months. I bought it online a fortnight ago :mad: I didn't notice the expiry date because of where it is on the bag, right where it gets folded down to pour the stuff out. So I've been accidentally poisoning my cat. Exclusively giving him the new food now, which is a dry food and is high protein, much lower carb and contains lots of meat (as opposed to 'animal and meat derivatives' like the brand I used to buy him). He absolutely loves it; goes completely nuts at feeding time as he's so excited about getting it. He's eating more of it than his old food, but it's also lower calorie so I'm sure he'll be fine.

Sorry, Sampson :( You can have tummy rubs as an apology.

Only registered members can see post attachments!