Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

pseudorandom name posted:

Not for long, Jeff Atwood is poised to change the world with his revolutionary new forum software, Discourse!

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5173443

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

To be fair, around here if you fail to read FAQs and community guidelines you are very likely to earn a badge of some sort :v:

edit: anyone have a link to the yospos thread?

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 6, 2013

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Maluco Marinero posted:

What is it that makes people feel this way? When I started up I glanced at Ruby but ended up settling with Python. What on earth are they talking about when they say omakase, I read the article but what is it exactly that has made the community so repellent for some, too opinionated, too resistant to change?
Maybe it stems from Rails' creator, who for a decade has posted really high-horse smug crap on his various blogs and websites. I remember reading his site maybe 7 or 8 years ago, and it was one big "Windows sucks, Linux rules" flame. Now I guess he's into language- and framework-smugism.

nielsm posted:

INI files are great for simple configuration stuff. For more complex configuration things like JSON or Yaml are better. (Never use XML.)
What's wrong with XML now? Sure you could say it's overkill, but for many situations, the tiny performance hit doesn't matter. Just the natural indentation alone makes it more humanly readable than an INI file to me.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Pilsner posted:

Just the natural indentation alone makes it more humanly readable than an INI file to me.

You may be the only living human being that thinks XML is more readable than an INI file (incidentally, in the typical use case for an INI file there really isn't anything that benefits from indentation. If you like that sort of thing though, YAML may be for you! even though end users will gently caress it up and make a file that won't parse)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
On the topic of language smugness: Scala people are very smug as well, but I can't determine whether the smugness is justified. I'm used to doing C++/C# and esp. on the C# side I'm already very :smug: about LINQ and async/await. Should I ever need to build something on the JVM, would Scala make sense?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bunny Cuddlin posted:

I can't wait to see the insightful, high level exploratory articles that come out of this effort like "A Little Known SQL Feature: The Outer Join" and "What ARE Css Selectors?"

What's the basis for comments like this? I guess haven't paid enough attention to Jeff Atwood to get the joke.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Look up his MVC tutorial to understand the depth of horror that is Jeff Atwood.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Munkeymon posted:

What's the basis for comments like this? I guess haven't paid enough attention to Jeff Atwood to get the joke.
Back when he was blogging daily a lot of his posts presented fairly basic things as if they were earth-shattering revelations that no one had thought of before. One of the reasons that many people expected SO to fail is that it would be populated with people who found Jeff Atwood's blog educational, and thus utterly unqualified to actually answer any questions.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Pilsner posted:

What's wrong with XML now? Sure you could say it's overkill, but for many situations, the tiny performance hit doesn't matter. Just the natural indentation alone makes it more humanly readable than an INI file to me.

XML doesn't have natural indentation though, it's just unreadable if it's not pretty-printed, which isn't really a point in its favor. If you want "natural indentation", you should probably prefer YAML, which is far far better suited to configuration usage.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

Sagacity posted:

On the topic of language smugness: Scala people are very smug as well, but I can't determine whether the smugness is justified. I'm used to doing C++/C# and esp. on the C# side I'm already very :smug: about LINQ and async/await. Should I ever need to build something on the JVM, would Scala make sense?
It's very expressive and allows you to code in both a functional and a Java-like style. There is a CLR implementation but I think it's dead.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Sagacity posted:

HEY. That's mostly David Pollak.

I'm not sure how bad you'd consider it being now. Any article written before around 2011 is pretty intolerable, but the smugness seems to have mellowed out.

Sedro posted:

It's very expressive and allows you to code in both a functional and a Java-like style. There is a CLR implementation but I think it's dead.

Yeah, the last commit to that .NET project was a year ago, so I'm thinking dead.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Plorkyeran posted:

Back when he was blogging daily a lot of his posts presented fairly basic things as if they were earth-shattering revelations that no one had thought of before. One of the reasons that many people expected SO to fail is that it would be populated with people who found Jeff Atwood's blog educational, and thus utterly unqualified to actually answer any questions.

When I started reading it, I figured that MVC article Sandisky mentioned was backfill in that he figured that, since he has a popular programming blog, he should mention these popular patterns for the sake of form, or something, but then he goes and misrepresents it :psyduck: At least the timing made sense when I realized he's just Microsoft-centric and was just mentioning it because there was finally a halfway decent web framework for microsofties.

I know about FizzBuzz, but please tell me there actually is a post about left joins

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sagacity posted:

Scala is pretty sweet, and I hugely prefer it (and Clojure) for JVM work over Java. It has some nice concurrency features and plays well with existing Java libraries, too.

The biggest problem I've had with it is that the compiler is slow and needs a lot of memory for any reasonably sized project, and if you don't feel like setting up stuff like sbt yourself you'll probably want an IDE to handle all of the build bullshit for you, which increases the footprint even more. I use IDEA for Scala work, which is nice, but does mean Scala development was basically impossible on my old laptop with 1GB of memory.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

kitten smoothie posted:

To be fair, around here if you fail to read FAQs and community guidelines you are very likely to earn a badge of some sort :v:

edit: anyone have a link to the yospos thread?

the sh/sc thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470954
the yospos thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3471311

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
He originally posted the sh/sc thread in qcs for some reason

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

The biggest problem I've had with it is that the compiler is slow and needs a lot of memory for any reasonably sized project

So much memory, drat. The newer incremental compile stuff has at least helped with the slowness.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Holy poo poo. He spoke to my university's computer club a while back (like two years ago) and was talking about discussion, moderation, etc. and I'm pretty sure I explained SA moderation to him. :psyduck:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

How do these Rails guys write something like the Omasake post and go "hm, yeah, that's a worthwhile article that I should post on the internet"

I'm curious about the author's reaction now that it seems as though it's widely mocked, complete with an exploit named after it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Toady posted:

I'm curious about the author's reaction now that it seems as though it's widely mocked, complete with an exploit named after it.

If being widely mocked was going to stop DHH, he would have been gone a long time ago

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

Toady posted:

As someone who has written posts on my blog which seemed like a good idea at the time, but which got badly mocked by hundreds of people when, say HN or reddit found them, I would say that the author probably hadn't thought it through as thoroughly as he claimed when he wrote the post.

Basically, people start mocking, and you go through the "Oh gently caress, I must be an idiot" stage, then you realise that quite a bit of the mockery is from people whose ideas are worse than your own.

You think about your own ideas a bit more and either go "Welp, I was wrong!" publicly, or you stick to your guns and go "I'm right and if you don't agree you're an idiot", or you try to burn your web presence, and hope that everyone goes away, or... you know... say "My opinion has changed, but it's still pretty much this: <blah blah blah>"

No Safe Word posted:

If being widely mocked was going to stop DHH, he would have been gone a long time ago

DHH goes for the "I'm right and if you don't agree you're an idiot" approach to dealing with mockery

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.

quote:

You must hate version control systems, we won't be using any. You must hate commenting and documenting code, it's redundant to anyone who can read the code. You must hate block-style css, it over-abstracts layout. You must hate optmizing code or writing efficient code, that's not the point. Everything we do here prioritizes the ability for the client to make changes. That's the only speed that counts.

This is a troll, right? RIGHT?

e: so where does how!! work?

bobthecheese fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 7, 2013

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Toady posted:

The exploit was named omakase, as it was a result of an "omakase" decision made by Rails core 3 years ago (let's not use the JSONGem because Yaji or Yaml gem already handles it!)
https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/a87683fb38d6cf66f39a7bd3faa6c969c63b1f46

But if you want to know the context of the rails is omakase post. It was essentially dhh fighting with the rest of the Rails team and other well known ruby developers over a single line in .gitignore.

https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/61b91c4c55bcbd5a2ec85d6e1c67755150653dff

Basically if one developer doesn't use the same ruby version manager (rvm or rbenv) and doesn't use the same ruby eg. MRI (Ruby, JRuby) you're going to get a lot of commit changes in your bin/ folder which gets annoying. People working on Rails, rbenv and Bundler (gem version management) were arguing to ignore /bin. dhh said, "nope"

Hence omakase.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Hahah I just noticed this one that page:

derp posted:

Pay rate: 20'000 - 40'000 based on expertise

This place is only a 40 minute drive from where I live. Maybe I should apply. :iamafag:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

Hahah I just noticed this one that page:

derp posted:

Pay rate: 20'000 - 40'000 based on expertise

This place is only a 40 minute drive from where I live. Maybe I should apply. :iamafag:

If there was an amount you could pay me to do that job, that is surely not it.

Strong Sauce posted:

But if you want to know the context of the rails is omakase post. It was essentially dhh fighting with the rest of the Rails team and other well known ruby developers over a single line in .gitignore.

https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/61b91c4c55bcbd5a2ec85d6e1c67755150653dff

Basically if one developer doesn't use the same ruby version manager (rvm or rbenv) and doesn't use the same ruby eg. MRI (Ruby, JRuby) you're going to get a lot of commit changes in your bin/ folder which gets annoying. People working on Rails, rbenv and Bundler (gem version management) were arguing to ignore /bin. dhh said, "nope"

Hence omakase.

Ho-Le-poo poo

So is he actually advocating putting compiled products into source control. or is /bin somehow different in the Ruby context?

Edit: Ok, yeah, dear god

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Sagacity posted:

Scala is very awesome. Its a really interesting time, macros are changing a whole bunch of things (trying to add compile-time checked enums with sane syntax or type-checking SQL queries against the live database schema)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

ultramiraculous posted:

Ho-Le-poo poo

So is he actually advocating putting compiled products into source control. or is /bin somehow different in the Ruby context?

Stuff in bin is not necessarily a binary executable. But the files contents can change between different developer's environments.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

quote:

It's imo an anti-pattern to have developers working on the same app use different tool chains like that.

I don't think he understands what an anti-pattern is besides 'a bad thing'.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Strong Sauce posted:

Stuff in bin is not necessarily a binary executable. But the files contents can change between different developer's environments.
They really shouldn't, though. One of the main points of using bundler + rbenv/rvm is to have as close to identical environments as possible.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

bobthecheese posted:

This is a troll, right? RIGHT?
It would have to be a pretty elaborate troll:
http://www.g-sin.com/
http://gsin.holophrasticenterprises.com/ (both point to same IP)
since it sure looks like they're developing websites for corporations that have references to pipes/pipelines in the source

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

yaoi prophet posted:

I don't think he understands what an anti-pattern is besides 'a bad thing'.

This bizarre linguistic overreach is more common than you think (eg. a guy on hn called Harvard expelling the guys they caught copy&pasting an exam an "anti-pattern"). I think it's part of a more common pattern(:ironicat:) of nerds using technical language in non-technical contexts to make an assertion, as if using jargon to do so made it impossible for people to call them on their bullshit. Paul Graham does something similar with the phrase "it turns out".

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Plorkyeran posted:

They really shouldn't, though. One of the main points of using bundler + rbenv/rvm is to have as close to identical environments as possible.

I've only used rvm but apparently the whole problem comes down to the shebang generated by this file in bundler

https://github.com/carlhuda/bundler/blob/master/lib/bundler/templates/Executable.standalone

If you read further down the thread, wycats (creator of bundler) even advises against putting binstubs into repo since they are not portable.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Sang- posted:

macros are changing a whole bunch of things (trying to add compile-time checked enums with sane syntax or type-checking SQL queries against the live database schema)
This is why I asked the question here: I am personally not so sure I find compile-time checks of SQL queries all that awesome.
Or the fact that the compiler is so slow you need an additional compiler service up and running, just to get any performance out of it.
Or the fact that everyone seems to hate sbt.

Sure, these are things that can be worked around, but these are issues that probably need to be solved soon. I'm guessing otherwise Scala will be one of those languages that everyone finds cool and interesting, but nobody is actually using in production.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Sagacity posted:

This is why I asked the question here: I am personally not so sure I find compile-time checks of SQL queries all that awesome.
Or the fact that the compiler is so slow you need an additional compiler service up and running, just to get any performance out of it.
Or the fact that everyone seems to hate sbt.

Sure, these are things that can be worked around, but these are issues that probably need to be solved soon. I'm guessing otherwise Scala will be one of those languages that everyone finds cool and interesting, but nobody is actually using in production.

Whats wrong with compile checks of your SQL? You want to know that "select avg(age) from users;" will return a float, rather than a List[String] right? Or that "select username from users;" will return a List[String]? Seems like a pretty handy feature to me :)

For 99% of what you want to do, sbt config is about 6-10 lines, and for bigger things like Play, the play command will create the sbt config for you.

And plenty of people (Twitter, LinkedIn, Morgan Stanley, FourSquare etc) are using Scala in production.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Re: Coding horrors: post the code that makes you laugh (or cry)

I want to post the whole code of osCommerce.

Is the horror incarnated. Is very complex, but actually is only one layer (mix sql, html, css and php freely). It uses lots of function that call other functions, but achieve not separation of logic and style with it, more like ofucating where all these "<td>" and "<tr>" come from, that you can't change it.

Of course, the creators had a crush with global variables and probably developed the whole thing with magic_quotes on.

Most "plugins" for osCommerce are actually patch that you must apply manually searching and replacing / inserting code in random files.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Here's a language you should never learn: WebDNA.
code:
[text]search=lol[/text]
[search db=jokes.db][/search]
Result:
pre:
loldb=jokes.db]Error: Error: expected [/FUNCTIONSPACE], but found [/search] instead[/search]

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14790550/i-want-to-write-an-app-for-my-gf-any-suggestions

Maybe not a coding horror in the traditional sense (or maybe it is) but it sure made me pull the :cry: face

VVV Ah, basically the thread title was "I want to write an app for my gf any suggestions"

And the first line was "Well, she's my ex actually. I wanted to write an app for her to show her how much I missed her"

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 9, 2013

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Any info beyond the URL? It seems to have been removed.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Seems like he regrets it already. Good.

_aaron
Jul 24, 2007
The underscore is silent.
Here's google's cached version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...any-suggestions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

This is the deleted post:

Note that two folks have voted to undelete the post