Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Countries like Germany and Japan I imagine probably wouldn't really push too hard on any claims since neither are too big on that sort of thing because of events in fairly recent history. Plus they'd have free access to do research at whomever's station anyhow.

Actually, I'd say Japan at least would be likely to be one of the more active players. Japan had claims on Antarctica prior to the 1951 Treaty of Peace, but was essentially forced to renounce those claims as part of the treaty. However, I suspect Japan would argue, as others have, that none of the Antarctic claims that have been made have any validity under international law, thus taking it back to essentially a blank slate. Plus, Japan is one of the more active current participants in Antarctic research (and whaling). Research isn't really the issue, anyway, it's the possibility of oil and other natural resources being recovered in an economically viable way. Also, if you believe that Germany and Japan have "learned their lesson" about assertion of territorial rights, well, that's pretty naive, as Bohemian Nights points out.

Really, though, I wouldn't expect any of the claims to have much value if the treaty system ever broke down and countries started attempting to acquire territory. The United States and Russia have "reserved their rights" to assert claims, whatever that means in relation to existing claims (but I can't really imagine them settling for less than, say, New Zealand); certain existing claims (such as those of the United Kingdom and Argentina) are mutually exclusive in whole or in part; very few countries recognize any of the existing claims (four countries recognize Australia's claim, for example, and that's about as much recognition as any claim has received); and perhaps most importantly I can't imagine any of the emerging powers (China, India, Brazil, at least) being satisfied with letting Western countries divide up the continent based primarily on those countries' greater ability to conduct exploration in the 1800s. Basically, the whole thing is a gigantic clusterfuck waiting to happen, and I think the international community is well aware of that, so I suspect the possibility of countries ever being permitted to formally acquire territory in Antarctica is remote.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Oh geez, Indonesia. You need to get your poo poo together. This documentary was.. I don't even know. I can't imagine the mind-set required to live a life where you can not only accept the atrocities you committed, but even revel in the memories of it.

I was incredibly lucky to be able to listen to Bishop Ximenes Belo talking about his experiences in Timor at a local high school last year.
He was instrumental in stopping and fighting back against Indonesian imperialism in Timor, and he had some truly horrible tales to tell. It's pretty interesting how the Timorese people are managing to successfully transition from the occupation to a relatively peaceful democratic government, and having the privilege of hearing a Nobel talk about it was one of my best experiences.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

ekuNNN posted:

"Glory to the heroes of the domestic war! Glory to Stalin’s falcons!"

Just letting you know that I love all of your Soviet propaganda posters with translations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

I can't tell if you posted this video ironically to point out it's stupidity or not. I sat through 9 minutes of contorting science and bullshitting and bringing up things that have been proven wrong years ago, hoping to find out it was made by the Onion (although I imagine they'd be more subtle), but no, the video ends with a link to https://www.naturalnews.com, where the third most popular story is still the bullshit science paper on GMO rats from a few months ago, the same paper that was destroyed by most science bloggers within a day or two of it's publication.

Also in the top 10 of their most popular stories: Sandy hook conspiracy bullshit and antivaccination shite.

From the study on GMO rats:

J, K and L are rats with huge cancer grows after the treatments. GMO are rats fed GMO food, R are rats fed roundup ready mais and GMO+R is a combination. Not pictured: the control group (because it looks exactly the same). There is also an ethical issue where these rats should have been euthanised much earlier to stop their suffering, but the rules in France might be different. Regardless the journal should not have published it based on that alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9scGtf5E3I
'Evil' scientists launching a video appeal in the UK, asking protesters not to destroy their field trial. They were succesful, the protest didn't accomplish anything.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

A Misfits fan, apparently.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Huh, Mexico isn't as bad as I thought.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress Richard Dawkins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1bu91lDvM

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet
~A short history of Haiti, in pictures~

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

To be fair, there's a huge difference between being Muslim and being an Islamist, which I'm sure that Richard Dawkins would agree with. Islamist culture has, in fact, been a pretty spectacular failure in pretty much every way. But, it has nothing to do with Islam, and everything to do with religious fundamentalism. Look how badly Christianist influence has set the United States back, just objectively. Hindering the advancement of stem-cell research, genetic research, keeping women in terrible situations and unable to achieve the things they want because of restrictive abortion laws, getting rid of social programs (which is objectively a Christianist thing, not a Christian thing).

Fundamentalist religion is terrible and Dawkins was absolutely right. The more people see their extremist movement failing, the more extreme it becomes. See also: the GOP.

Since I didn't see it posted: Iran's new air superiority fighter:

Generally, I don't trust the opinions of GBS posters about anything, but I have to agree that this doesn't seem real. It really does look like it's a prop.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This seems fake and out of character, let's look around a bit. Uh, after looking at his twitter page this doesn't seem out of character at all, wow. Richard Dawkins is a much worse person than I thought reading his books. :(

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

kanonvandekempen posted:

I can't tell if you posted this video ironically to point out it's stupidity or not. I sat through 9 minutes of contorting science and bullshitting and bringing up things that have been proven wrong years ago, hoping to find out it was made by the Onion (although I imagine they'd be more subtle), but no, the video ends with a link to https://www.naturalnews.com, where the third most popular story is still the bullshit science paper on GMO rats from a few months ago, the same paper that was destroyed by most science bloggers within a day or two of it's publication.

Also in the top 10 of their most popular stories: Sandy hook conspiracy bullshit and antivaccination shite.

From the study on GMO rats:

J, K and L are rats with huge cancer grows after the treatments. GMO are rats fed GMO food, R are rats fed roundup ready mais and GMO+R is a combination. Not pictured: the control group (because it looks exactly the same). There is also an ethical issue where these rats should have been euthanised much earlier to stop their suffering, but the rules in France might be different. Regardless the journal should not have published it based on that alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9scGtf5E3I
'Evil' scientists launching a video appeal in the UK, asking protesters not to destroy their field trial. They were succesful, the protest didn't accomplish anything.

Cancerous rat pictures make me sad. :( Put the drat things out of their misery. Monsanto is pretty horrific with suing farmers when pollen from their seed gets into another field. It's finally come to a farmer appealing to SCOTUS over Monsanto's practice of making farmers who never bought their seed pay them. I found the video link on Disinformation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hpEnLtqUDg

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Huh, Mexico isn't as bad as I thought.

Well, it is a perceptions index, as in it's how the level of corruption is seen, not necessarily an exact measurement of the amount of corruption (because that would probably be impossible to measure).

Also, post a pic.

Anyway:

quote:

Until very recently, this is what I lived, breathed, studied, believed, preached – loudly, daily, and for nearly 27 years.

I never thought it would change. I never wanted it to.

Then suddenly: it did.

And I left.

Where do you go from there?

I don't know, exactly. My sister Grace is with me, though. We’re trying to figure it out together.

https://medium.com/turning-points/83d2ef8ba4f5

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/07/two_phelps_kids_bravely_defect_from_westboro_baptist_church/

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 10, 2013

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Highspeeddub posted:

Monsanto is pretty horrific with suing farmers when pollen from their seed gets into another field. It's finally come to a farmer appealing to SCOTUS over Monsanto's practice of making farmers who never bought their seed pay them. I found the video link on Disinformation.
Bowman v. Monsanto is about a farmer who bought seed from Monsanto violating the contract he signed. Bowman is arguing that a patent to a self-replicating system expires after the first authorized sale. Monsanto is saying their patent doesn't expire on the second generation and that Bowman using un-authorized second generation seeds is patent infringement on his part.

Also the "Monsanto sues farmers because of wind!" thing is totally baseless luddite propaganda.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ekuNNN posted:

This seems fake and out of character, let's look around a bit. Uh, after looking at his twitter page this doesn't seem out of character at all, wow. Richard Dawkins is a much worse person than I thought reading his books. :(

Richard Dawkins is a piece of poo poo, who, like many "famous atheists" hates Muslims. He also hates women. When he's really having a good day, he manages to hate both simultaneously.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2011/07/richard-dawkins-draws-feminist-wrath-over-sexual-harassment-comments/39637/

quote:

Opening Serve: Richard Dawkins made an unexpected appearance in the comments section of biologist PZ Myers' post at Scienceblogs.com last week. Myers was commenting on Rebecca Watson's recent experience being propositioned in a hotel elevator by a male attendee of a conference at which Watson had just spoken in Dublin. Dawkins got himself into hot water by commenting in the form of a sarcastic letter to a Muslim woman, pointing out how trivial Watson's experience in the elevator was compared to the abuses Muslim women deal with on a daily basis. "Stop whining will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and...yawn...don't tell me again, I know you aren't allowed to drive a car, and can't leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you'll be stoned to death if you commit adultery," he wrote. "But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with."

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

All of the young people in this church seemed like intelligent and potentially decent people, only saddled with a terrible upbringing. It's really great that she and her sister at least have broken free.

Louis Theroux did two great documentaries on them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrz5k0jWdU

It was sad to hear them talk about what they saw their future as being while still with the church.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 10, 2013

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

BUSH 2112 posted:

To be fair, there's a huge difference between being Muslim and being an Islamist, which I'm sure that Richard Dawkins would agree with. Islamist culture has, in fact, been a pretty spectacular failure in pretty much every way. But, it has nothing to do with Islam, and everything to do with religious fundamentalism.

I'm not romanticizing anything, or calling "Islamism" a general positive here, or saying there isn't a possible secular alternative; Dawkins is simply shooting his mouth off like a moron as is par for the course when he tries to deal with topics that are beyond him. Calling "Islamist culture" a "spectacular failure" is completely meaningless; the Ummayad and Abbasid eras had a near-pervasive influence of religion in social, cultural, and scientific life, and was the most scientifically productive period in Islamic history. Pervasive as in, it is impossible to read manuscripts by Ibn Sina or Razi that are not rooted entirely in religious rhetoric. It's not as though there isn't plenty of historic study detailing this, or how the traumatic transition to modernity in the Muslim world derailed Islamic scientific study; Dawkins is a charlatan and demagogue playing to his audience. The country with the fastest scientific publication growth rate in the world is Iran.

Arterial system of a pregnant woman in a Persian manuscript

From ibn Haytham's Kitâb al-Manâzir (The Book of Optics)

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 10, 2013

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Islamism is pretty universally used to refer to the particular extreme interpretation of Islam which is about 60 years old and started with this man, here:

I'm no fan of Richard Dawkins, I agree fully that he's a loudmouthed idiot when it comes to a lot of subjects. But, conflating Islamic culture with Islamism is a huge mistake, and it's the main reason that there's rampant Islamophobia in the US today.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Fluo posted:

National Front John Tyndall who was the leader of the BNP (British National Party) for awhile.

The leader of the British National Party at the moment, Nick Griffin.

How dare you accuse the BNP of racism? Just because the inherent supremacy of the white race used to be in their official party constitution, they don't do nazism anymore!

Oh...

Well, still, they have a token Asian now, ergo not racist!

Checkmate :smug:

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

BUSH 2112 posted:

Islamism is pretty universally used to refer to the particular extreme interpretation of Islam which is about 60 years old and started with this man, here:

Did this come from Dawkins? Because it is completely wrong; parties, organizations, and governments across the Muslim world self-refer as "Islamist" without approaching the type of essentialist worldview or the vicious attitude towards modernity espoused by Qutb. Qutb wasn't even the Brotherhood's most prominent theorist or guiding force, and the idea that Qutb "invented" Islamism is complete nonsense; he followed revivalist thinkers decades prior to him. I'm sure this is all very inconvenient to a reductionist like Dawkins.

Since I have to post a picture, here's Farabi's theoretical analysis of the 'ud.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 10, 2013

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

az jan jananam posted:

Did this come from Dawkins? Because it is completely wrong; parties, organizations, and governments across the Muslim world self-refer as "Islamist" without approaching the type of essentialist worldview or the vicious attitude towards antinomianism espoused by Qutb. Qutb wasn't even the Brotherhood's most prominent theorist or guiding force, and the idea that Qutb "invented" Islamism is complete nonsense; revivalist organizations had gained force decades prior to him. I'm sure this is all very inconvenient to a reductionist like Dawkins.
It's also pretty obvious that Dawkins isn't talking about Islamism and is using it as an acceptable way of being a giant bigot. Saying that what is essentially a political movement is a failure in terms of engineering, science and medicine doesn't make much sense, obviously.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

An Army M-60 tank at top; one of thousands of old concrete culverts in the middle, and an old F-106 jet at bottom. All of these are artificial reefs in the Gulf of Mexico. In the last few decades, we've dumped everything from an old aircraft carrier (the USS Oriskany) to T-72 tanks on the bottom of the Gulf to provide reef structure.

Funnily enough, we're also in the process of destroying some of the best established reefs in the Gulf- old, unused oil platforms.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

az jan jananam posted:

Did this come from Dawkins? Because it is completely wrong; parties, organizations, and governments across the Muslim world self-refer as "Islamist" without approaching the type of essentialist worldview or the vicious attitude towards modernity espoused by Qutb. Qutb wasn't even the Brotherhood's most prominent theorist or guiding force, and the idea that Qutb "invented" Islamism is complete nonsense; he followed revivalist thinkers decades prior to him. I'm sure this is all very inconvenient to a reductionist like Dawkins.

Since I have to post a picture, here's Farabi's theoretical analysis of the 'ud.

Well, yes, Dawkins is an rear end in a top hat. Personally, I've never heard anyone in the west use the term "Islamism" to mean anything other than the extremist interpretation of Islam. So, my bad. Here's a video of the Kamal Musallam Quartet playing some amazing jazz, featuring the namesake of the band on Oud in this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noZOxGCSg28

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

az jan jananam posted:

Dawkins has become such an embarrassment to atheist/skeptic goals and I can't wait for him to be gone. It's incalculable the amount of damage he and Hitchens have done. He hides behind his venom for Christianity as though it shields him from his racist statements. I'm no fan of Islamists and Islam as I'm no fan of religion in general, but loving hell, its not that hard to actually a distinction when you start spouting off. One thing I have learned as I grew out of Dawkins adoration is how complicated the Islamic world is, and how poorly equipped I am as a white formerly catholic man of judging it. I see some stuff that seems off, or bad, and Az you do an amazing job of explaining it in a far more reasoned and relevant way then I ever could.

Edit: Image fixed.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 10, 2013

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

az jan jananam posted:

People on here's entire knowledge of Islamist movements comes from a film called the Power of Nightmares which makes out that Qutb started the entire movement after getting annoyed at western values in an American dance hall.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 10, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

GD_American posted:

Funnily enough, we're also in the process of destroying some of the best established reefs in the Gulf- old, unused oil platforms.

Reefs are not an unalloyed good. They are a good for Reef fish, a number of which are charismatic, or have economic or sport potential, but there are a lot of other ocean-things that need large uninterrupted spans of sandy bottom to do they thang, and putting an artificial reef full of hungry reef things down causes considerable disruption and damage to their lifecycle.

Of course, artificial reefs may not be good for a goodly selection of reef fish, either. In what is one of the largest unintentional environmental engineering programs on Earth, we're accidently dumping a few tens of thousands of steel containers on the ocean floor every year on shipping routes around the world. Slowly creating a super-reef between Shanghai and port of Los Angeles, which might allow all manner of things that haven't already become invasive by way of bilge and aquarium dumping to island-hop their way across the Pacific. Hope you like Lion Fish.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 10, 2013

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

cloudchamber posted:

People on here's entire knowledge of Islamist movements comes from a film called the Power of Nightmares which makes out that Qutb started the entire movement after getting annoyed at western values in American dance hall.

Considering most people here in the States conflate all Islam with Terrorism, this is a bit of an improvement. A big chunk of Islamism is a general exercise of group identity without any single origin.

Dawkins tried to co-opt this 'Islam bad' reaction for his childish 'religion bad' ideas. Of course he rarely talks about George Price and his radical exercise of free will.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Slo-Tek posted:

Reefs are not an unalloyed good. They are a good for Reef fish, a number of which are charismatic, or have economic or sport potential, but there are a lot of other ocean-things that need large uninterrupted spans of sandy bottom to do they thang, and putting an artificial reef full of hungry reef things down causes considerable disruption and damage to their lifecycle.

Of course, artificial reefs may not be good for a goodly selection of reef fish, either. In what is one of the largest unintentional environmental engineering programs on Earth, we're accidently dumping a few tens of thousands of steel containers on the ocean floor every year on shipping routes around the world. Slowly creating a super-reef between Shanghai and port of Los Angeles, which might allow all manner of things that haven't already become invasive by way of bilge and aquarium dumping to island-hop their way across the Pacific. Hope you like Lion Fish.

"Based on the survey results, the World Shipping Council estimates that on average there
are approximately 350 containers lost at sea each year, not counting catastrophic events.
When one counts the catastrophic losses, an average total loss per year of approximately 675
containers was observed."

Let's see, it's ~10k km from Shiang Hai to Oakland (as the crow flies, longer on a boat)

A shipping container is 12.19m long, so that'd take about 775,000 shipping containers end to end to cross the Pacific. It'd only take 1200 years for this to happen if every year they are lost in a perfect line at the same rate.

And of course thing that live in coastal waters can also live 6000m down on the ocean floor.

Or just believe morons on NPR.

This poo poo (bunker fuel) being burned by container ships is actually an issue.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

GD_American posted:

An Army M-60 tank at top; one of thousands of old concrete culverts in the middle, and an old F-106 jet at bottom. All of these are artificial reefs in the Gulf of Mexico. In the last few decades, we've dumped everything from an old aircraft carrier (the USS Oriskany) to T-72 tanks on the bottom of the Gulf to provide reef structure.

There's actually a video of the sinking of the USS Oriskany.

Video Here

She was supposed to sink levelly and over the course of five hours. Instead she ended up sinking bow first in just over 30 minutes. Oops.

TheMammoth
Dec 3, 2002

From my old neighborhood in San Francisco:

Beautiful ocean mural. Must be an aquarium or museum right? On the side of the Mitchell Brother's O'Farrell Strip Club.

Alley side of same mural.

Century strip club one block down. Across the street from children's playground. Also of note, camo-pickup truck, bottom right, Motel 6 security camera watching for prostitution, top left.

I miss the Tenderloin.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Dawkins has become such an embarrassment to atheist/skeptic goals and I can't wait for him to be gone. It's incalculable the amount of damage he and Hitchens have done. He hides behind his venom for Christianity as though it shields him from his racist statements. I'm no fan of Islamists and Islam as I'm no fan of religion in general, but loving hell, its not that hard to actually a distinction when you start spouting off. One thing I have learned as I grew out of Dawkins adoration is how complicated the Islamic world is, and how poorly equipped I am as a white formerly catholic man of judging it. I see some stuff that seems off, or bad, and Az you do an amazing job of explaining it in a far more reasoned and relevant way then I ever could.

Your image doesn't work for me, I fixed it:

More Sagan:

Full comic here.

Edit: Shrunk the image, it's a bit wide

Chamale fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 10, 2013

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Whenever I feel ashamed of atheism and at other atheists, Sagan soothes my soul. It's an instant fix-me-up.

This popped up on my Facebook feed:

I don't know whether I should feel angry at the moronic hijacking of a famous feminist quote, or if I should be laughing because of how loving stupid it is. So here's Rebecca West:

"In these pages your imaginations, your desires, your passions are given life; Thoughts take shape that turn into dreams and our aspirations all start with a dream. Reading is where those dreams really can come true over and over again."

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
New Atheism is awful. Karen Armstrong has a very interesting book that's partly about that movement, and as an agnostic who doesn't really care too much about the whole religion vs ''science'' battle, I found the book very enlightening. I think I got that recommendation from SA, actually, before I registered.

I should probably look into Religion for Atheists as it seems to be along the same lines.

source: Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Another publicshaming pic:

The last one made me think of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA-AvBjBm5k

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Dawkins and the late Hitchens, while not exactly eye to eye agreed on a lot issues, are both cultural imperialists who hide their hatred of religions and other races with a sacrosanct view of 'Humanist' ideals that often reduces humans to cartoon like enemies if they disagree. Also, considering Dawkins's previous comments about Islam, he probably means any Muslim is an Islamist.

Dick Dawkins posted:

Given that Islam is such an unmitigated evil, and looking at the map supplied by this Christian site, should we be supporting Christian missions in Africa? My answer is still no, but I thought it was worth raising the question. Given that atheism hasn't any chance in Africa for the foreseeable future, could our enemy's enemy be our friend?

Christian Missionaries and dickbags agree, this is 100% accurate.

Of course I really used to hate him until I discovered that he was molested as a child and still views that as not as bad as being taught about heaven and hell.

Tricky Dick posted:

Incidentally, I was myself sexually abused by a teacher when I was about nine or ten years old. It was a very unpleasant and embarrassing experience, but the mental trauma was soon exorcised by comparing notes with my contemporaries who had suffered it previously at the hands of the same master. Thank goodness, I have never personally experienced what it is like to believe – really and truly and deeply believe ­– in hell. But I think it can be plausibly argued that such a deeply held belief might cause a child more long-lasting mental trauma than the temporary embarrassment of mild physical abuse.

The man needs serious loving help, but he's still saying some pretty hateful poo poo against people.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

LP97S posted:

Dawkins and the late Hitchens, while not exactly eye to eye agreed on a lot issues, are both cultural imperialists who hide their hatred of religions and other races with a sacrosanct view of 'Humanist' ideals that often reduces humans to cartoon like enemies if they disagree. Also, considering Dawkins's previous comments about Islam, he probably means any Muslim is an Islamist.

It's really sad when hateful people appropriate the term "humanist" as a synonym for "atheist" when they aren't a patch on actual humanists.

God drat it, you've got to be kind.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Huh. I guess Richard Dawkins and me have things in common besides being atheists.
It's quite possible he wasn't very badly affected by his abuse, so it wouldn't be an inaccurate sentiment - at least with regards to his experience. I don't think mine ever caused me much issues, but maybe it just got buried under one of my dozen other brain problems? :shrug:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

thylacine posted:

This poo poo (bunker fuel) being burned by container ships is actually an issue.

Trigger warning, you bastard. I saw so much of that nasty crap when I was working in the shipyard....

Bunker fuel is basically the very crappiest of the crap left over from the distillation process. At room temperature, it's basically a solid; there are heating coils run through the bottom of the fuel tanks, which run steam through in a circulating loop to warm it up to about 140 degrees F. When it solidifies inside a fueling hose, it makes for a lovely job for the low ranking swabbie to clean out.

Oh, and distillation processes have gotten so good that in the last decade or so, they actually have to add back some of the lighter products to even make it combustible.

Basically, any time someone bitches about car emissions, remember that there are tens of thousands of ships at this very minute burning this poo poo, in quantities that dwarf your average commuter's use.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GD_American posted:

Basically, any time someone bitches about car emissions, remember that there are tens of thousands of ships at this very minute burning this poo poo, in quantities that dwarf your average commuter's use.

True, but one should consider the utility (tons of product/distance transported) compared to the emissions. In that regard I'd consider cars more wasteful than cargo ships.

Not that more nuclear sea vessels are a bad thing - all fossil fuel use needs to be stopped.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 18, 2014

• Locked thread