Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Today's Haul

Really pissed that I found a Virtual Boy controller/AC cord but not the actual Virtual Boy. Oh well, I don't even want one. Anyone with a Virtual Boy need a controller/AC cord want to trade something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Please go do the high jump event in Skate or Die and post your top score.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

HKR posted:

Today's Haul

Really pissed that I found a Virtual Boy controller/AC cord but not the actual Virtual Boy. Oh well, I don't even want one. Anyone with a Virtual Boy need a controller/AC cord want to trade something?

I don't necessarily hate my Virtual Boy's AA battery pack... but I would LOVE that AC adapter. Did you have anything specific you wanted to trade or did you want some cold hard paypal cash?

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Asbrandt posted:

With Krikzz confirming that he has his 10nes clone working, the NES version of the Everdrive N8 will be coming relatively soon.
How many people will be backing out of the group-buy for the Famicom version to go for the NES one?

I'm still in for the Famicom version. Nostalgia aside, I prefer the form factor of Famicom carts and systems over their NES counterparts. I also splurged on some import games just last week (I'll posts pics when they arrive), so I'm in not much of a hurry to get one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

elf help book posted:

I had that game as a kid, and bought a new copy as an adult, and I have never once understood how to do that section.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

HKR posted:

Today's Haul

Seeing Goonies II and the Dreamcast version of THPS makes me happy. Both awesome games. :)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Hammond Edgar posted:

I'm still in for the Famicom version. Nostalgia aside, I prefer the form factor of Famicom carts and systems over their NES counterparts. I also splurged on some import games just last week (I'll posts pics when they arrive), so I'm in not much of a hurry to get one.

poo poo I fixed that fds and in celebration I bought almost every fds game worth a poo poo that wasn't $40 so no metroid, Zelda or Zelda 2. Someone disable my Paypal account please.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

elf help book posted:

6'8" here.

High jump is the worst event.

ultimateluigi987
Feb 14, 2012
Snagged CIB copies of Klonoa and Lego Bionicle for GBA at 8 bucks for both at a TurnStyles, but I found something quite intriguing at a Goodwill:

It's the infamous Mario movie! But not just any copy, this is a demo that didn't get sent back to Buena Vista, and apparently went out to video rental places as an advertisement of sorts. You'd think the film would sell on name alone, but I guess that's how things worked back then. There were lots of other demo tapes for various other movies, but this was the only one I was really interested in.

This is the main difference between the retail and demo versions, a special effects featurette that lasts 9 minutes, pushing up the runtime of the movie a bit. I have yet to watch the featurette, but I guess it's a reason to go back and see it again.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks to you I just bought that poo poo box on DVD. Jerk.

I do remember liking the concept and plot of it. The acting of the movie is dumb as gently caress, but honestly, if you have a story about a plumber traveling down a pipe to the Mushroom Kingdom, that poo poo is gonna be weird as hell on film.

e: It's 4.99 on Amazon if any of you hate money as much as I do.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 10, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

flyboi posted:

poo poo I fixed that fds and in celebration I bought almost every fds game worth a poo poo that wasn't $40 so no metroid, Zelda or Zelda 2. Someone disable my Paypal account please.

I went on a very crazy spree buying used stuff on Amazon with the magic of Tenso, and got a Rakuten purchase working. Work's getting increasingly flabbergasted with me as I get 2-3 packages a day at work sometimes. I also got a soldering iron, so I expect there to be blood, or at least what consoles use as blood. I'm probably going to have to consolidate and sell stuff off soon to not get divorced. :ohdear:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks to you I just bought that poo poo box on DVD. Jerk.

I have the laserdisc. And the soundtrack CD.

WendigoJohnson posted:

OK so I'm looking through what Gamecube exclusives are worthwhile in terms of getting. I think all I am missing is Zelda:4 Swords and Eternal Darkness. I'm abit iffy about Twin Snakes because it goes for the price of a new game and I already have the original Metal Gear Solid on the PSX. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm interested in hearing them.

Allthough while browsing I wound up amassing the rest of the Gamecube Bonus/Preview discs. I found the Resident Evil 4 and the Pokemon Bonus Disc for real cheap. Now I think I have the entire GC bonus disc set:
Mario kart Bonus Disc
OoT/MQ Zelda Disc
Zelda Anthology
Rogue Squadron III: Preview Disc
Gamecube Preview Disc
Pokemon Collseium Bonus Disc
Resident Evil 4 Preview Disc

Am I missing any? I take except for the Zelda ones, the rest are just novelty items that have no collector value for them.

Not sure if this meets your criteria for bonus disc, but here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet: Pac-Man Vs.

Great game, if you have the GBAs, cables, and friends to actually play it.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 10, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I sent off an email to Rakuten and maybe it will turn out to be true that they'll ship stuff out faster that way. I didn't realize at first that one of the games I ordered was the Japanese Secret of Mana, between that and my JGS order with Mother 2 I'm getting close to having nearly all of the good SNES exclusives. I was surprised how cheap the Japanese Final Fight games were, not only that but I found 5 dollar Super Star Wars and Super Empire Strikes back.

Allthough I've heard rumors that there's one absolutly brutal Dating sim game on the system that requires more button mashing than any fighter or Schmup. Apparently everything is time based and you literally have to juggle the events so fast because you wind up losing in all other circumstances unless you breeze though. I've heard that it's nearly unbeatable but for the life of me I have no idea what the game is called. The only thing I could make out is that it had Memorial in it's title.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Light Gun Man posted:

Not sure if this meets your criteria for bonus disc, but here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet: Pac-Man Vs.

Great game, if you have the GBAs, cables, and friends to actually play it.

Unlike most of the other Gamecube games that use GBAs and link cables, Pac-Man Vs. only needs one of each. The guy that plays Pac-Man has control of the GBA, with complete access to the map, while the other three players use the TV split screen and have limited vision range. It's also the best party game on the Gamecube.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

Unlike most of the other Gamecube games that use GBAs and link cables, Pac-Man Vs. only needs one of each. The guy that plays Pac-Man has control of the GBA, with complete access to the map, while the other three players use the TV split screen and have limited vision range. It's also the best party game on the Gamecube.

It seems to come in a 2-pack with another Pacman game, were there any changes between the two versions or is the game just repackaged?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

WendigoJohnson posted:

It seems to come in a 2-pack with another Pacman game, were there any changes between the two versions or is the game just repackaged?

It's a repackage. I think Pac-Man Vs. was originally a promo disc or something; you couldn't buy it through conventional means. When the Player's Choice re-release of Pac-Man World 2 came out, it included Pac-Man Vs. As far as I can tell, they're the same right down to the disc's artwork and software content.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I had a pretty good session with Sword of Mana. Here was the best part of the playthrough so far: http://www.twitch.tv/digitaldiatribe/c/1913497

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Light Gun Man posted:

I have the laserdisc. And the soundtrack CD.

I have the soundtrack on audio cassette :smug:

Jeeeez I might have to get on this famicom everdrive thing. Might have to sell some stuff off though, anyone want a Neo Geo Pocket Colour with SNK Vs Capcom, Sonic and Metal Slug 2?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mercury Crusader posted:

I think I knew that, but I seem to forget it every single time I talk about the game anyway. Thanks for clarifying, it is pretty major info.

And yeah it is like a bonus disc to an ultimately less interesting (in my opinion) Pac-Man platformer thing. Unless I am remembering that wrong now too!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

HEEEEH

still looking for Ice Climber that isn't absurd cheap since it's the PC10 version and Zelda/Metroid if I can find them not absurdly priced.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Asbrandt posted:

With Krikzz confirming that he has his 10nes clone working

Come again?

This thread goes really fast so I must have missed this. What is 10nes clone? A clone of the PPU from the PC10?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

40 OZ posted:

Come again?

This thread goes really fast so I must have missed this. What is 10nes clone? A clone of the PPU from the PC10?

10NES is the security chip used in the US NES systems to lockout pirate hardware/software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10NES

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

WendigoJohnson posted:

Allthough I've heard rumors that there's one absolutly brutal Dating sim game on the system that requires more button mashing than any fighter or Schmup. Apparently everything is time based and you literally have to juggle the events so fast because you wind up losing in all other circumstances unless you breeze though. I've heard that it's nearly unbeatable but for the life of me I have no idea what the game is called. The only thing I could make out is that it had Memorial in it's title.

Tokimeki Memorial, I presume. Put out by Konami. Stage 2 of the third (discounting MSX) Parodius game is a parody of the series.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So Rakuten emailed me back saying my order hasn't been gotten to yet because my order has more items than the usual ammount they get, but they're going to get to it soon. I didn't think 8 games was that large of an order though, I didn't want to waste shipping, I even bothered to look up the weight of an SFC cart. :ohdear:

What's the usual ammount of stuff that people order from them at the same time, is it somewhere along like 2-4 games?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Light Gun Man posted:

And yeah it is like a bonus disc to an ultimately less interesting (in my opinion) Pac-Man platformer thing. Unless I am remembering that wrong now too!

It's a pretty standard 3D platformer that doesn't do anything interesting, but I found it enjoyable anyway. Not a bad game by any means, but there are better 3D platformers on the Gamecube. The best part about the game was all the other Pac-Man games you can unlock (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Mania, Pac-Attack). I probably spent more time on Pac-Attack than Pac-Man World 2 because I love puzzle games.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

WendigoJohnson posted:

I even bothered to look up the weight of an SFC cart. :ohdear:

How much is it? :v: I may order from japangamestock soon and their shipping goes by weight too.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I made this within a couple days for a gameshow me & a buddy failed to get on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaATr3naiWk

How'd I do, retro goons?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Safari Disco Lion posted:

How much is it? :v: I may order from japangamestock soon and their shipping goes by weight too.

There's a good image file of a chart of every imaginable game weight you'd ever need to find out. I can't remember how I found it but I always found it first try on google. It takes all the variables into account

VV well done comrade VV

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 10, 2013

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

ACID POLICE posted:

There's a good image file of a chart of every imaginable game weight you'd ever need to find out. I can't remember how I found it but I always found it first try on google. It takes all the variables into account
This the one?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That works, thanks! I remember that being posted in the old thread but I never saved it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

flyboi posted:

10NES is the security chip used in the US NES systems to lockout pirate hardware/software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10NES

One of my favorite things of all time is the simple fact that most cart pirates defeat the 10NES just by hitting that sucker with too much voltage until it basically says "Uncle!" and lets the game run. I only wonder if that was the first or the last thing they tried (besides guys like Tengen who gave a poo poo)

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!
Today's been a very Sega day for me and has left me with a couple of questions that I figure are best suited for the folks in this thread.

A number of years ago, I picked up a Sega Saturn from a yardsale with a couple controllers and a copy of Nights. I played Nights for a bit and then stuck it into storage. About two weeks ago, I pulled the thing out of storage, decided I'd probably never play anything on the system again, and took it to the local game store to trade in. They took Nights, but I got an e-mail saying to come pick up the Saturn within a week or they'd pitch it. The only words listed as reason was "(infested)". I opened it up this morning and it turns out it was infested with a bunch of dead cockroaches! Cleaning ensued. After running everything through the dishwasher (thanks to whoever suggested that earlier in the thread) everything looked good as new, except for the metal shielding which apparently fused to the cockroach poop (at least it's clean cockroach poop?).

Anyhow, I plugged things back together and the system boots up just fine but refuses to read the audio CDs that I put in there. The thing I've noticed is that the CD doesn't even spin in the drive (though the laser does move and bob up and down trying to read the thing). So my first question is: what can I do about this? Should I replace the motor in the disc reader? Is that even feasible? I put the disc drive in the dishwasher, so maybe it just needs to dry out some more? (I let it dry for 2 hours with the oven preheated to 170, then turned off as recommended here: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/PCB_Cleaning_101) Have I royally hosed my disc reader and need to replace the whole thing? I sure hope someone here has some advice on this. :(

While the Saturn was drying, I remembered that I had an old Model 2 Genesis in the attic. I pulled that down and consulted the OP image of how to tell if I got a good model 2. According to the image, I didn't (the heatshield goes all the way across). I looked up some sound comparisons on youtube and found this one that used a song I knew from a game I had (Chemical Plant, Sonic 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXRIvQ8io8&t=180s. In the video the difference between the Model 1 and the Model 2 is painfully obvious (to me at least). But! When I booted up the sound test in Sonic 2, it sounded perfect! I figured that it might be a problem with the actual level, like maybe mixing in sound effects messed it up. A few minutes later, I was in the Chemical Plant and it sounded just fine there as well. So I'm stumped, did I luck into some bizarre model 2 genesis that defies the OP guide or what? Is there some other test I can do here? If this is some bizarre edge case, what can I do to document it in order to help folks in the future?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
The voltage spike is too risky/unreliable to be a perfect solution, hence why tengen wanted to reverse engineer it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

redmercer posted:

One of my favorite things of all time is the simple fact that most cart pirates defeat the 10NES just by hitting that sucker with too much voltage until it basically says "Uncle!" and lets the game run. I only wonder if that was the first or the last thing they tried (besides guys like Tengen who gave a poo poo)

I like the poetry in this solution because the 10NES chip, as well as every other measure of region lock is bullshit and the fact that you can defeat it by slapping its poo poo is very fitting. Too bad that method doesn't work with, say, a 3DS. :v:

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Anyhow, I plugged things back together and the system boots up just fine but refuses to read the audio CDs that I put in there. The thing I've noticed is that the CD doesn't even spin in the drive (though the laser does move and bob up and down trying to read the thing). So my first question is: what can I do about this? Should I replace the motor in the disc reader? Is that even feasible? I put the disc drive in the dishwasher, so maybe it just needs to dry out some more? (I let it dry for 2 hours with the oven preheated to 170, then turned off as recommended here: http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/PCB_Cleaning_101) Have I royally hosed my disc reader and need to replace the whole thing? I sure hope someone here has some advice on this. :(

Tell tale signs of a dead laser. Fortunately Saturn lasers are easy to replace.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

JJJJJS posted:

Tell tale signs of a dead laser. Fortunately Saturn lasers are easy to replace.

With your advice in hand, I confirmed that indeed there was no visible laser coming out of the Saturn and then went and found a guide on replacing the thing: http://www.segastyle.com/SaturnJVCLaser.html

Next payday I'll be good to go! Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out what to do about the genesis. Or not, since it works fine. :shrug:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Did anyone here manage to successfully modify an SNES ROM to make use of the MSU-1? I've made crazy progress in something I started yesterday but don't want to proceed too far without getting MSU-1 implemented, if I can. Looks like I need to study some assembler, if I'm not mistaken.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I'm cross posting this from the "help me remember the name of that game thread" since it's a retro game that I'm pretty sure might be on some home consoles. I'm looking for the name of an arcade game I played a long time ago on an AstroCity cab, and because of the fact that it was on an AstroCity cab (and it was in Japanese) I'm not sure if it was a NeoGeo, CPS, or whatever type game. Basically it's like a beat-em-up with a different type of view than normal side scrollers, kind of like Power Stone but it didn't have 3D graphics, and it had selectable characters with power ups and weapons. I'm pretty sure at the end of each level there was a boss and after you defeated it there were treasures with power ups and stuff. I remember playing as a girl and you could do special moves that would deplete your HP. Hopefully my description narrows down the possibilities somewhat since I know there are so many different beat-em-ups out there.

edit: I just came across a video for Light Bringer/Dungeon Magic on YouTube which is just like the game I was describing and could very well be it, but I'll leave this here to see if anyone recognizes it and knows of any other games like it. One thing I remember about the game that I don't see in the video was fighting indoors/in a bar and being able to pick up objects like bats and maybe even guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s9f3FMVKcg

Belle Isle Tech fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 11, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

In the video the difference between the Model 1 and the Model 2 is painfully obvious (to me at least). But! When I booted up the sound test in Sonic 2, it sounded perfect! I figured that it might be a problem with the actual level, like maybe mixing in sound effects messed it up. A few minutes later, I was in the Chemical Plant and it sounded just fine there as well. So I'm stumped, did I luck into some bizarre model 2 genesis that defies the OP guide or what? Is there some other test I can do here? If this is some bizarre edge case, what can I do to document it in order to help folks in the future?

Long story short, Sega is the king of revisions in consoles. The Model 1 has ~6 different revisions although minor while Model 2 has around the same maybe more. The model 2 revisions are a total crap shoot as there were 3 video encoder chips used as well as two or three different sound circuitries. Some work better than others in the model 2 line.

And ya, I had been doing some MSU-1 work but got sidetracked with playing games because work has been hectic enough that I like to stay away from computers when I'm off as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Belle Isle Tech posted:

I'm cross posting this from the "help me remember the name of that game thread" since it's a retro game that I'm pretty sure might be on some home consoles. I'm looking for the name of an arcade game I played a long time ago on an AstroCity cab, and because of the fact that it was on an AstroCity cab (and it was in Japanese) I'm not sure if it was a NeoGeo, CPS, or whatever type game. Basically it's like a beat-em-up with a different type of view than normal side scrollers, kind of like Power Stone but it didn't have 3D graphics, and it had selectable characters with power ups and weapons. I'm pretty sure at the end of each level there was a boss and after you defeated it there were treasures with power ups and stuff. I remember playing as a girl and you could do special moves that would deplete your HP. Hopefully my description narrows down the possibilities somewhat since I know there are so many different beat-em-ups out there.

edit: I just came across a video for Light Bringer/Dungeon Magic on YouTube which is just like the game I was describing and could very well be it, but I'll leave this here to see if anyone recognizes it and knows of any other games like it. One thing I remember about the game that I don't see in the video was fighting indoors/in a bar and being able to pick up objects like bats and maybe even guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s9f3FMVKcg

That game is availible on Taito Legends Volume 2, it may run you around 5-20 bucks. You do wind up fighting through a tavern at one point and while there are projectiles, there are no guns.

• Locked thread