Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How do I get the AD10 USB IR receiver to work my Harmony 880? I already got the Harmony working with the internal IR, so I thought I could just plug in the USB IR.

When I cover up the internal IR and try the Harmony on the USB IR, it doesn't work. When I try the same thing with the standard AD10 remote the thing goes apeshit and whatever button I press becomes permanently pressed, e.g., scrolls to the left in XBMC forever. That shows it can receive a signal, but maybe it's just bugged out because my hand doesn't cover up the internal IR well enough so it goes nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Has anyone else had problems with the AD10's USB 3.0 ports not working?

Sometimes I boot the AD10 and plug in 360 controllers and they don't get picked up -- if I check the Device Manager, there's a USB error. Plugging the keyboard/mouse into the USB 3.0 ports doesn't do anything either. But then if I reboot, everything works fine? This has happened to me three times now.

Edit: Running Windows 7.

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 11, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yes, I haven't been able to get the USB3 ports to work, running OpenElec. I posted about it a couple times but I haven't been able to confirm whether it's an issue with OpenElec or with my AD10. I've only tried USB storage devices, though.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Anyone have issues with their AD12 not recognizing anything put into the SD card slot? I can't get it to see my SD card, which makes it really difficult to put Openelec on it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Put it on a USB stick, it'll run better from that anyways.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I've been using OpenELEC on my RPi for a while, and went try out Rasbmc but it keeps corrupting. It took a few tries, but after a reboot or two it wouldn't come back from a reboot unless I reformatting the SD Card and started over. Weird. Oddly enough, and the reason I'm posting RPi stuff here (instead of the thread for it) is that I discovered the latest version of OpenELEC recognizes and works well with the Zotac AD10 remote control. It sees it as a CEC device, I think the same as if it would see you TV over HDMI. Pretty awesome, since I don't use it otherwise. I also think its the reason my Rasbmc keeps corrupting, so don't try it there.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Well, I don't think I'll be recommending the Zotac AD12 any more. I'd slapped Windows 7 on there with XMBC back in November and had nothing but problems with the machine and software. It refused to wake from sleep properly about half the time, no matter how much I tinkered with it and reformatted it. Eventually I just turned sleep off fully, and it worked fine for 3 months, but completely died yesterday. Turned on the TV to find XMBC froze up. Had to force a reboot, but the machine wouldn't POST, and now all it does it give me a series of 5 beeps every time I turn it on, which I think is shorthand for "Processor fried" from what I can tell.

Yeah, it was left on all the time, but it was in a well ventilated spot and only used for 3 or 4 hours a week.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mortanis posted:

Well, I don't think I'll be recommending the Zotac AD12 any more. I'd slapped Windows 7 on there with XMBC back in November and had nothing but problems with the machine and software. It refused to wake from sleep properly about half the time, no matter how much I tinkered with it and reformatted it. Eventually I just turned sleep off fully, and it worked fine for 3 months, but completely died yesterday. Turned on the TV to find XMBC froze up. Had to force a reboot, but the machine wouldn't POST, and now all it does it give me a series of 5 beeps every time I turn it on, which I think is shorthand for "Processor fried" from what I can tell.

Yeah, it was left on all the time, but it was in a well ventilated spot and only used for 3 or 4 hours a week.

Weird, I've been using my AD10 as my main desktop since last year and I've had no problems with it (minus a loose wifi antenna, it doesn't stay up but I still get full speed). I also leave mine on all the time.

Did you try contacting Zotac? You could have just gotten a dud.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mortanis posted:

That reminds me that my Revo 3610 has been sitting on the floor under my entertainment center without being shut off for like...2 years?

Good device.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just unpacked my new AD12, what's the little nubbing thing with the plastic cover on its tip that seemingly plugs into the wifi antenna port?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

TraderStav posted:

Just unpacked my new AD12, what's the little nubbing thing with the plastic cover on its tip that seemingly plugs into the wifi antenna port?

Probably a protector if you don't want to use the antenna.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

That reminds me that my Revo 3610 has been sitting on the floor under my entertainment center without being shut off for like...2 years?

Good device.

Same here! I threw OpenELEC on mine after running windows the first year or 2 and it brought it back to life and runs so much better now!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Should I run Openelec on an AD10 from a USB drive or a class 10 SDHC card? Does it matter? I am going to point it at NAS so there's no reason to buy a HD.

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007
Is there anything inherently wrong with the AD11? I found it for $149 with 64GB SSD and 2GB DDR3 at a local store. Obviously, I bought it, but I just haven't seen anyone mention the AD11--it's always the AD10 or AD12.

What's with the middle child treatment?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Loucks posted:

Should I run Openelec on an AD10 from a USB drive or a class 10 SDHC card? Does it matter? I am going to point it at NAS so there's no reason to buy a HD.

I've mentioned it a few times in this thread but I have a couple AD10's that were running OE from class 10 SD cards pointing at my WHS. I found it very slow to load artwork. I switched to 8GB USB drives instead and noticed a HUGE improvement in terms of how quick it was at loading stuff. I tried to buy the fastest USB stick that was also very small, and settled on the Lexar Echo ZX. I've been very happy and would recommend you take the same route since we have similar setups. Hope this helps.

25/15mb/sec for read/write.

wolfbiker fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 13, 2013

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

monkeybounce posted:

Is there anything inherently wrong with the AD11? I found it for $149 with 64GB SSD and 2GB DDR3 at a local store. Obviously, I bought it, but I just haven't seen anyone mention the AD11--it's always the AD10 or AD12.

What's with the middle child treatment?
I have an AD11 as well. I'm not entirely sure why it's never mentioned, but it's no big deal since the AD10 is drat near identical. It's a solid machine.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

wolfbiker posted:

I've mentioned it a few times in this thread but I have a couple AD10's that were running OE from class 10 SD cards pointing at my WHS. I found it very slow to load artwork. I switched to 8GB USB drives instead and noticed a HUGE improvement in terms of how quick it was at loading stuff. I tried to buy the fastest USB stick that was also very small, and settled on the Lexar Echo ZX. I've been very happy and would recommend you take the same route since we have similar setups. Hope this helps.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

I have an AD11 as well. I'm not entirely sure why it's never mentioned, but it's no big deal since the AD10 is drat near identical. It's a solid machine.

Yeah, spec wise, I wasn't concerned at all. I just was curious why no one ever mentioned it. I even went back pretty far in the thread to find a "the ad11 raped my grandmother and set fire to the house" post. Goons just don't like elevens, apparently.

mewse
May 2, 2006

An eleven cuckolded me

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Does anyone have a recommendation for some cheaper wireless video game controllers? I've got a bunch of emulators on my htpc and would love to have the ability to do some two player stuff, but all of the controllers I've found are serious Xbox style guys or are wired ps2-style.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Glass of Milk posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for some cheaper wireless video game controllers? I've got a bunch of emulators on my htpc and would love to have the ability to do some two player stuff, but all of the controllers I've found are serious Xbox style guys or are wired ps2-style.

How cheap? the xbox 360 controllers are basically the poo poo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

monkeybounce posted:

Yeah, spec wise, I wasn't concerned at all. I just was curious why no one ever mentioned it. I even went back pretty far in the thread to find a "the ad11 raped my grandmother and set fire to the house" post. Goons just don't like elevens, apparently.

It was mentioned a bit but it was more expensive than the AD10 at the time and, by the time the price came down, the AD12 was already out.

The only negative thing I heard about it was the wifi antenna was a plug instead of a screw setup.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just got a AD10 and all the needed parts to make this HTPC. However, I can't really do that right now, as I need a computer to manage backups for multiple computers, so I was going to do a dual partition for this computer for the time being. I was going to do one partition (32 gig SSD) with FreeNAS for the backup management for the time being, but also wanted to put OpenELEC another partition for it. Basically so when I'm done having it manage backups, or when I want a more portable HTPC I could just grab and go with a USB stick of movies.

My question is, do I have to get another bootloader so I can pick between the partions? So far I have only used Chameleon back when I was running a Hackintosh, but that was a long time ago that I set that up, and probably only for Intel PCs trying to boot OS X (although it would also boot Windows for me when needed). Anyone have a simple bootloader solution for this, or is this more than I need to worry about?

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
Is it worth to upgrade my R3610 to something like an AD10/11/12 or one of those tiny Foxconn A3500 or A3700 boxes? The R3610 has been humming along nicely, but it's nearly 4 years old by now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Fourteen posted:

Is it worth to upgrade my R3610 to something like an AD10/11/12 or one of those tiny Foxconn A3500 or A3700 boxes? The R3610 has been humming along nicely, but it's nearly 4 years old by now.

Is there anything it can't do that you'd like it to? I've been watching for a cheap SSD or more ram to make things a little snappier, but other than that I'm in no rush to replace mine

The only minor shortcoming we see is that it doesn't have the grunt to transcode 720+ content with Airvideo, but my wife has just learned to only watch lower res files, or Netflix on the treadmill at the gym.

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
No, not from a functionality standpoint. I guess I was more curious if the processing speed of the newer devices is that much better.

Or maybe I just got bit by the upgrade bug.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

IUG posted:

I just got a AD10 and all the needed parts to make this HTPC. However, I can't really do that right now, as I need a computer to manage backups for multiple computers, so I was going to do a dual partition for this computer for the time being. I was going to do one partition (32 gig SSD) with FreeNAS for the backup management for the time being, but also wanted to put OpenELEC another partition for it. Basically so when I'm done having it manage backups, or when I want a more portable HTPC I could just grab and go with a USB stick of movies.

My question is, do I have to get another bootloader so I can pick between the partions? So far I have only used Chameleon back when I was running a Hackintosh, but that was a long time ago that I set that up, and probably only for Intel PCs trying to boot OS X (although it would also boot Windows for me when needed). Anyone have a simple bootloader solution for this, or is this more than I need to worry about?

Instead of partitioning you could install either (or both) onto USB thumb drives or SD cards and either plug in or use the BIOS to select what you want to boot from. OpenELEC works great that way.

You could also install a full blown Linux distribution like Ubuntu, and run XBMC from there. I don't know what your back-up management is like but it should be able to provide all of the services FreeNAS does.

Alternatively, and I've never done this, it might also be possible to do something like a full OS on the SSD (with XBMC installed), and virtualize FreeNAS. I don't know what the minimum resource requirements are, but OpenELEC will run on a RasberryPi, and I don't think FreeNAS uses much either. I might mess with it this weekend just to see how horrible it is.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 14, 2013

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fourteen posted:

No, not from a functionality standpoint. I guess I was more curious if the processing speed of the newer devices is that much better.

Or maybe I just got bit by the upgrade bug.

If your current setup plays your movies then a newer one will do nothing else more for you.

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
For those who ordered from Zotac how long did it take them to process your order? My AD12 has been in the 'processing' state for slightly over a week now.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

monkeybounce posted:

Is there anything inherently wrong with the AD11?
Is it one louder?

I'm another happy AD10 customer. Got it after reading this thread almost a year ago and it's been incredibly good to me. No real issues, running XBMC/Windows 7 from an old hard drive with 4 gigs of RAM.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

iceslice posted:

Instead of partitioning you could install either (or both) onto USB thumb drives or SD cards and either plug in or use the BIOS to select what you want to boot from. OpenELEC works great that way.

You could also install a full blown Linux distribution like Ubuntu, and run XBMC from there. I don't know what your back-up management is like but it should be able to provide all of the services FreeNAS does.

Alternatively, and I've never done this, it might also be possible to do something like a full OS on the SSD (with XBMC installed), and virtualize FreeNAS. I don't know what the minimum resource requirements are, but OpenELEC will run on a RasberryPi, and I don't think FreeNAS uses much either. I might mess with it this weekend just to see how horrible it is.

I just bought a 128 gig SSD drive to put in my actual HTPC, and was going to take the 32 gig out of that and use for the Zotac. That's why I was going to try a dual partition, rather than buy some more USB drives.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Anveo posted:

For those who ordered from Zotac how long did it take them to process your order? My AD12 has been in the 'processing' state for slightly over a week now.

Just received my AD12 ordered from Zotac on Tuesday. I ordered it the middle of last week. In Michigan, shipped from CA.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

IUG posted:

I just bought a 128 gig SSD drive to put in my actual HTPC, and was going to take the 32 gig out of that and use for the Zotac. That's why I was going to try a dual partition, rather than buy some more USB drives.

Can you be more clear on what you're trying to do?

http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?8713-Dual-boot-FreeNAS-and-Ubuntu

They talk about not being able to install FreeNAS on a partition/dual booting (like what you wanted), and also suggests using a USB thumb drive. Its from September of last year, so things might have changed, but I doubt it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I have a 32gig drive that's available to me that I'm taking out of another computer. So I figured since I'd have way more space than I need, I was hoping to do two partitions. One for FreeNAS for the back system I'm putting together (going to attach a 4 bay external enclosure), and another partition for OpenELEC so I can detach that enclosure and bring the computer with me with some movies on a thumbdrive/SD card so I could have a more portable HTPC. But I guess if I can't put FreeNAS on a partition then I just won't.

The reason why I'm doing this odd setup is that I am trying to buy a house or condo, so depending on the living situation in the future, I may be able to come up with a better network in the new place, so then this computer would become a full HTPC.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Don Lapre posted:

How cheap? the xbox 360 controllers are basically the poo poo.

For as much as I would play the emus, probably 20 bucks apiece. I think the windows xbox ones are closer to $50, which is pretty pricey to play some Altered Beast or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

For as much as I would play the emus, probably 20 bucks apiece. I think the windows xbox ones are closer to $50, which is pretty pricey to play some Altered Beast or something.

Logitech f310 is about $23 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

He wanted a wireless one, which puts it closer to $50. Xbox controller is the way to go, in my opinion. Sets yourself up nicely if you ever want to start using Steam & Big Picture.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
The d-pad on the 360 controller sucks for old school platformers.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

Traxxus posted:

The d-pad on the 360 controller sucks for old school platformers.

This controller allows you to switch between old school plus and flat surface.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Microso...oller&cp=1&lp=4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

I have a 32gig drive that's available to me that I'm taking out of another computer. So I figured since I'd have way more space than I need, I was hoping to do two partitions. One for FreeNAS for the back system I'm putting together (going to attach a 4 bay external enclosure), and another partition for OpenELEC so I can detach that enclosure and bring the computer with me with some movies on a thumbdrive/SD card so I could have a more portable HTPC. But I guess if I can't put FreeNAS on a partition then I just won't.

The reason why I'm doing this odd setup is that I am trying to buy a house or condo, so depending on the living situation in the future, I may be able to come up with a better network in the new place, so then this computer would become a full HTPC.
Freenas and Openelec are both designed to run off a thumbdrive, so the ssd wouldn't really be needed for either one. Also, the ad10 maxes out at 4 gigs of ram, while 4 gigs is the minimum needed to run ZFS, and if you're not going to use ZFS then FreeNAS is pointless. Plus of course you lose the ability to store a video library on the NAS if you're dual-booting it on the same machine as Openelec.

If you're dead set on using one machine for both functions, you're probably better off installing Linux on the ssd and running both xbmc and your backup stuff that way.