Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

kimpira posted:

There's not really any TV thread on the site where "Please don't put this on Netflix and I refuse to buy the DVDs for reasons that are demonstrably false" is going to be greeted warmly.

I'm not saying it's an intelligent point to make but two pages worth of "stop posting" doesn't add to the discussion, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ACID POLICE posted:

I am really praying Doom will come back. I know the SNES port sucks but I beat it regardless and want to see Arino playing it :colbert:

E: Ineffiable have you played Tokyo Bus Driver?

No I have not. What system is it for?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Dreamcast. One of my favorite games ever. Japan only of course, but you can find a dummied copy easy, and with the super short GameFAQs you'll be able to get through it no problem. I've been hoping Arino would play that too.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I actually agree with him (even though I strongly disagree with him), this thread has a bad track record for running people out of it because they don't agree with the majority. Let him dislike the DVDs if he dislikes the DVDs.

Claiming that the DVDs are just Kotaku-version is like stepping onto a landmine on this thread.

I also dislike the way the DVD subtitles look and also the fact that the Tamages aren't there. But overall, I do like DVDs, subtitling is superb and the fact that it's easy to support the show and possibly get more releases.

Onto a different topic, if I drop by TGS this year, what are the chances that I'll see Arino?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

makere posted:

I also dislike the way the DVD subtitles look and also the fact that the Tamages aren't there. But overall, I do like DVDs, subtitling is superb and the fact that it's easy to support the show and possibly get more releases.

Speaking of which, has there been anything from Discotek to suggest they're going to do more?

makere posted:

Onto a different topic, if I drop by TGS this year, what are the chances that I'll see Arino?
I can't mind if it's this thread but I mind someone saying that's been less of a thing as the years have rolled on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Does this include a history of Go by Train, discussion on what lead to it's creation, and most importantly....

a showcase of all Go by Train peripherals ever made?

I wish. It's mainly focused on Go by Train 3 which was the current version when the episode was produced. They do talk about the game producer's favorite trains and lines, though.

I have both Tokyo Bus games for the PS2, FWIW. I think only the first one was on Dreamcast and the second one was a pretty nice improvement.

makere posted:

Pretty small. Last year he didn't even go by the booth. He just gets too much of a crowd at the show these days.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mister Crane posted:

If they're unimportant and Discotek rarely has dubs on their dvds let alone default dubs WHY are they there AND default?

This could simply be a fact that deals with licensing agreements. Whoever owns the property might have told Discotek that they had to include the dubs on the DVD and that they had to be the default settings. It may not have been their choice to make. For instance, Sundazed recently issued a box-set of the Velvet Underground albums on vinyl, and one of the criticisms was the inclusion of barcodes and the modern Universal Records logo (which wouldn't be on the originals). Sundazed basically said "Yeah, we know, but that was part of the licensing agreement, and we weren't going to pass up a chance to do this boxset for something as stupid as that."

Also, all the subtitles were redone by Zari-gari. So even on the "dub" versions, she retranslated all of the subtitled portions.

Katana Gomai posted:

I actually agree with him (even though I strongly disagree with him), this thread has a bad track record for running people out of it because they don't agree with the majority. Let him dislike the DVDs if he dislikes the DVDs.

I'd agree with you, except his opinion is unreasonable and wrong. He's said a lot of things that are inaccurate and not based on reality, he's ignored the stuff that Discotek did for the DVDs, and he hasn't really clearly expressed his concerns with the set. And to be honest, he didn't really come here to talk about the show or further discussion, he came here to bring up the same points that other people have made and that we've dealt with a million times in the past.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

makere posted:

This but "I'm in Japan for three weeks in May"; do we know if they plan any events yet? I normally wouln't assume but since it's the Anniversary they seem to have planned quite a few things.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'd agree with you, except his opinion is unreasonable and wrong. He's said a lot of things that are inaccurate and not based on reality, he's ignored the stuff that Discotek did for the DVDs, and he hasn't really clearly expressed his concerns with the set. And to be honest, he didn't really come here to talk about the show or further discussion, he came here to bring up the same points that other people have made and that we've dealt with a million times in the past.

All of that is true in my opinion, I just like this sort of reply better than "stop posting/:frogout:" because it's a tired meme and reeks of "+1". Basically people need to spend less of their time on people they disagree with, if he's looking for a fight where there is none, just ignore him (not as in "put him on ignore", just move on with the thread).

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 10, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

This but "I'm in Japan for three weeks in May"; do we know if they plan any events yet? I normally wouln't assume but since it's the Anniversary they seem to have planned quite a few things.

Events are usually announced about a month in advance and if I remember what zari-gani told me, tickets are handled via lottery. The two fan events per year you can count on are the Fuji TV summer festival at the end of August and the DVD release event which is usually right at Christmas.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Yea I'm not dreaming of getting a ticket for a live challenge or a signing, I was thinking of something like the scavenger hunt they just had where everyone can attend. I figured they wouldn't announce them that early but then again, it's only three months from now! Thanks for the info.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Anyone know of some places that sell the GCCX merchandise? I know there's ebay but most of it is overpriced.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

People in Japan basically do not use ebay. Everyone uses yahoo auctions Japan.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I haven't used this site, just browsed it, so I don't know how trustworthy it is: http://japamart.com/

No luck finding any Game Center CX stuff, probably because you have to search in English and/or would need to know how to write out the show's name in Japanese.

VV Wow, that's a hell of a lot cheaper, even with shipping, than you could get it for on eBay. Still too much for me right now, though.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 11, 2013

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

There's one of the Arino dolls up on Yahoo Auctions Japan right now at 5000¥, no bids, if you ever wanted a little effigy of him.

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f119676966

Also two identical shirts
http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n114152737
http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/162814400

aaaand, the mousepad

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g119801609

Everything else looks like a DVD or magazine or some game that was shown on the show before. I'll go check the Odaiba complex for loot one of these days, but don't hold your breath.

Chococat fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 11, 2013

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Makes me wish I was in Japan. They get everything, While I only have the DVD and Retro Game Challenge

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

bpc908 posted:

Makes me wish I was in Japan. They get everything, While I only have the DVD and Retro Game Challenge

Yeah, but their gun nuts are really, really jealous of the US and the Second Amendment.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Never realized they had gun nuts in Japan. Everything I've seen made it look like it's a completely peaceful country

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

They get to buy loot if they clear a specific day on their schedule, take a longass train ride and stand in line for a while. I made the horrible mistake of taking a bus tour to TGS last year and I think I spent close to six hours in that thing because traffic was awful.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bpc908 posted:

Never realized they had gun nuts in Japan. Everything I've seen made it look like it's a completely peaceful country

Watch the background of some of the convenience stores Arino goes to. You'll see a lot of extremely accurate gun replicas.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
Does Game Center CX have an off-season? And if so, how long is it? I'm just asking because I imagine those are the months where the translators are more likely to go to the earlier episodes.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I was walking around Akihabara last weekend and found one of the shops selling that Queen plush doll from the prize machines. I almost bought it but I really didn't know where I could have put it. Also, I wanted the King more, but they didn't have it.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Also finding Arino's Famicom business card holder is a bitch to find. It seems like every store I look says it's out of print.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

leather fedora posted:

I was walking around Akihabara last weekend and found one of the shops selling that Queen plush doll from the prize machines. I almost bought it but I really didn't know where I could have put it. Also, I wanted the King more, but they didn't have it.

You could have sold it on here for a tidy profit.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Random Stranger posted:

Watch the background of some of the convenience stores Arino goes to. You'll see a lot of extremely accurate gun replicas.

And that's for the kids. Like, elementary school kids.

EDIT: Not pre-elementary. I was being stupid.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

bpc908 posted:

Seeing all of the gun ranges in Hawaii made purely for Japanese tourists is pretty great.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The DVDs do get cluttered when there's multiple subtitles on screen correlating to multiple text boxes. It is a limitation of DVD subtitles

I expressed confusion on this point myself, so I'll just point out that it is possible to do overlays in DVD subtitles. They're just images overlaid on the video. The palette is rather limited--I think you can have only three colors plus transparency per image, though I could be wrong on that point--but if you wanted to black out an area of the screen and put text on it, it'd be doable. I think zari-gani got told she couldn't do that sort of thing because someone at Discotek couldn't be arsed; that may also explain the whole 'one letter of italics turns the whole thing italic' and 'font is fatter on widescreen eps than 4:3 eps' issues. (To explain the latter: NTSC DVDs store images at 720x480 and either squash them to 640x480 (4:3) or stretch them to 853x480 (16.9). So if you don't make the font wider on the former and narrower on the latter to compensate, the difference is readily noticeable.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

Does Game Center CX have an off-season? And if so, how long is it? I'm just asking because I imagine those are the months where the translators are more likely to go to the earlier episodes.

Yes, it does. The length has varied in the past but for the past couple of years they take about a month off around March. There's two more episodes in season 16 yet to air and then they'll probably take a month off before resuming with season 17. They also take a month off around New Years and in the past two seasons they've used two parters to cover up times where Arino could only shoot one episode that month.

We haven't been going after current episodes a lot though high interest in Parappa and Yoshi's Island pushed them up the priority list.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bpc908 posted:

Also finding Arino's Famicom business card holder is a bitch to find. It seems like every store I look says it's out of print.
I could have sworn they used to have it at Strapya. Now they have these (available for other phone models as well--just search for "controller". They even have an NES version).

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

Random Stranger posted:

Yes, it does. The length has varied in the past but for the past couple of years they take about a month off around March. There's two more episodes in season 16 yet to air and then they'll probably take a month off before resuming with season 17. They also take a month off around New Years and in the past two seasons they've used two parters to cover up times where Arino could only shoot one episode that month.

They only take one month off? drat.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Chococat posted:

There's one of the Arino dolls up on Yahoo Auctions Japan right now at 5000¥, no bids, if you ever wanted a little effigy of him.

I cant read any of that... wonder if he'd ship to the US. I'd jump on that if I knew how to.

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
I bid on it, this automatically makes it mine.

Chococat
Aug 22, 2000
Forum Veteran

Blackchamber posted:

I cant read any of that... wonder if he'd ship to the US. I'd jump on that if I knew how to.

The guy right above me posted a proxy service for Yahoo Japan Auctions. :argh:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Chococat posted:

The guy right above me posted a proxy service for Yahoo Japan Auctions. :argh:

He didnt label or mention it was a proxy service in his post and I'd only know that if I clicked the link :argh:

Edit: a link I didnt click because he said he didnt find gccx merch on it :argh:

:argh:

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 11, 2013

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
In case anyone forgot, this was mentioned here a long while ago. A YT video of Crayon Shin Chan starring Yoiko raw episode was uploaded but later taken down. Another one showed up recently. If you want to check it out before it gets taken down again, link to video is below.

Crayon Shin Chan Yoiko episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgYgJ1Yq_SM

A friend wanted me to ask: What is included on the Japanse GCCX 24hr live DVD?

joek0 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 11, 2013

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Blackchamber posted:

He didnt label or mention it was a proxy service in his post and I'd only know that if I clicked the link :argh:

Edit: a link I didnt click because he said he didnt find gccx merch on it :argh:

Well I never said not to click it...

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

Well I never said not to click it... :argh:

Fixed that for you.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Mister Chief posted:

You could have sold it on here for a tidy profit.
Probably. I almost bought it for that purpose alone but ultimately decided not to for some reason. Oh well, maybe another one will pop up later.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Blackchamber posted:

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.

Krioni
Oct 9, 2012

I love Shin Chan! Shin plus Arino is awesome. Man I wish I could understand Japanese, so much cool stuff and culture I'm missing out on. Is there a reasonably affordable way to learn Japanese, something like Rosetta Stone? I've been wanting to visit Japan since I was 12-13years old. I wouldn't want to go over though until I could speak or at least understand Japanese decently. Basically my dream vacation :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Krioni posted:

Is there a reasonably affordable way to learn Japanese

Not really, no. If you want to know anything beyond what a typical anime fan knows, you're looking at years of study and practice.