Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It's not covered in the video but you can plink advancing guard to option select throw/guard against stuff like ambiguous high/lows. If they go high you AG. If they went low you'll likely get a throw. And you can even do it with your assy ground dash characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

I spend twelve weeks playing a social life-devouring sandbox RPG and come back to find a better-represented MODOK? :suicide:

Signed up for Thursday.

Hoping not to de-rail, but which social life-devouring sandbox RPG?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :japan:

Thursday January 31st 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/pdVXr7Frs3

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xbce8pb6u8

I'm not gonna participate tonight due to not be home but if somebody wants to run it I can give them authority on challonge or whatever.

Edit:
vvvvv
I put you in charge.

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2013

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
I could do that. Miss u tho

E: and i might be late

Very late :smith: go on w/out me

Acute Hepatitis fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 1, 2013

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Can't make it tonight for the tournament, so no double-anchor Phoenix/Morrigan shenanigans.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Lenaway posted:

Hoping not to de-rail, but which social life-devouring sandbox RPG?

Skyrim. (Open-world probably describes it better. I dunno.)

And good god, does it ever eat up time.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Aww why does everybody have to be gone on the weeks I'm actually available?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

How late until you make it Hep?
I can wait, I'm off tomorrow anyway and I'm probably the only one of us on EST anyways...

If people are a little late, we'll keep registration open til 10:00 EST.

http://challonge.com/PSNGoonUMvC3013113

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 1, 2013

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just beat Galactus for the first time with Akuma, Nemises , and Spiderman.

My Basic Defense score is 657 so I think i need some basic blocking practice.

That double hand crush of his was ruining me until I let him do it to my lowest health team member.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Awww, the widdlest tourney ever. :3:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Ybrik posted:

Thursday January 31st 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

RESULTS!

http://challonge.com/PSNGoonUMvC3013113

1ST Shiki Dan (Dorm/Hulk/Doom/RocketRaccoon/Hawkeye)
2ND Pkmn84 (Firebrand/Skrull/Arthur)
3RD OhHellItsDan (MODOK/Deadpool/Doom)

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I think I may have found a glitch. Joe can combo instant overhead H or S into H Red Hot Kick, however if you hit an assist in the same frame that you hit the instant overhead the Red Hot Kick won't combo. Calling the assist shouldn't affect things at all, it won't even hit until after the Red Hot Kick does, but for some reason doing this delays the cancel making the combo drop. Anybody have any idea why this would happen? Maybe this can be used to confuse hold-and-release specials or something.

Koolin
Mar 27, 2010
:haw:haggar psot:haw:

Looking for a spot of advice from any Haggar aficionados out there. I've been scraping through some local weeklies with Haggar / Skrull / Arthur but the competition's beginning to step up a tad and I'm not hugely confident in this team.

Arthur's sort of a weak link - daggers just don't start up quickly enough or have the durability to help Haggar effectively get in. It also seems like his effectiveness as an anchor quickly diminishes as you run out of gimmicks. Any recommendations to fill that role of assist / combo extension / decent anchor would be handy.
Skrull's place is largely due to being a character I've had a lot of experience with but I'd be interested in hearing what role you guys think the second slot should fill.

I don't know if fooblat follows this thread but I know he's had some pretty astonishing success with the character so fooblat if you're reading this your thoughts would be terrific!!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, in my opinion daggers is just about the best possible projectile assist for Haggar. It extends all his combos perfectly, lets him do AA grab resets easily, and actually has pretty good durability. Make sure you're moving forward when you call it, since arthur comes out in front of you. If you wavedash along the ground, you can follow the daggers at just about the speed they travel. I agree that Arthur isn't a great anchor though. If you're willing to learn him as a point character, maybe try running Haggar/Arthur/Skrull since skrull is a stupidly good anchor? The other bonus for arthur in 2nd is that goddess bracelet is REALLY safe on block, so if you whiff a lariat or they block it, you can cancel into super and dhc into arthur to stay totally safe.

For the record I play Haggar/Arthur/Sent and really enjoy it.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I dunno, in my opinion daggers is just about the best possible projectile assist for Haggar. It extends all his combos perfectly, lets him do AA grab resets easily, and actually has pretty good durability. Make sure you're moving forward when you call it, since arthur comes out in front of you. If you wavedash along the ground, you can follow the daggers at just about the speed they travel. I agree that Arthur isn't a great anchor though. If you're willing to learn him as a point character, maybe try running Haggar/Arthur/Skrull since skrull is a stupidly good anchor? The other bonus for arthur in 2nd is that goddess bracelet is REALLY safe on block, so if you whiff a lariat or they block it, you can cancel into super and dhc into arthur to stay totally safe.

What's some cool Arthur on point stuff to do with these teams? I'm still stuck on Day 1 arthur. (air series, knockdown, bottle, super)

Koolin
Mar 27, 2010

Jmcrofts posted:

I was actually hoping you'd chime in with some Arthur stuff! I'm definitely keen on trying to make him work.
What setups do you use for the grab resets? And how do you feel Arthur fares on point without support? I don't think skrull's assists are all that. Cheers for the input!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Haggar+daggers EZ grab reset is launch, air combo into knockdown. Then do drop kick+call daggers->pipe xx dp+H. They should pop out and immediately get thrown, whether they tech forward or backward. They can get out of this by neutral teching and mashing A, but honestly who neutral techs unless they're really looking for the reset.

As for playing arthur on point, it's kind of all about knowing your matchups. Basically anyone with a tracking teleport (dante/strider/vergil/etc) or anyone with a fast beam super (dorm/akuma/ryu) it's not worth putting them in the dagger cage, you'll probably just get bopped. Against characters who don't fit into those 2 categories, I basically just get full screen and jump daggers+crossbow+axe all day. Against the bad matchups though you pretty much have to rush down.

Arthur has easily the worst mobility in the game, but if you can manage to get close to them he has some pretty decent high/low. Everyone knows by now that you can instant overhead with j.S, but did you know that j.M works as well? As far as I know instant j.M will hit every character while they're crouching, and it's nice because it comes out even faster than j.S, it hits from further away, and it's safe against XFGC. The trick to comboing off this instant overhead is to do j.M->j.S xx qcf+A. You'll land before the dagger comes out, but it cancels your recovery frames which gives you enough time to combo into a cr.A.

For you Koolin, I actually think Skrull's lariat assist would be a pretty good assist. Basically arthur's gameplan is to make them block jumping daggers, and use that opportunity to get your assist out so you can either go in for rushdown or restart your keepaway.

For combos, basically as far as I'm concerned midscreen do buttons->launch->buttons into j.S->otg fire bottle. Cancel into super if you want the damage, or just jump back and throw some daggers if it's a character who has a hard time against being put in the cage. In the corner, you can get 3 launches, and finish your combo by just doing j.H j.S into fire bottle on hte last launch.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Jmcrofts posted:

Haggar+daggers EZ grab reset is launch, air combo into knockdown. Then do drop kick+call daggers->pipe xx dp+H. They should pop out and immediately get thrown, whether they tech forward or backward. They can get out of this by neutral teching and mashing A, but honestly who neutral techs unless they're really looking for the reset.
The answer is "anyone who's ever played another Haggar player before", quite honestly. And I wish that wasn't the case, but most people get out of it nowadays.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
In the corner off of a groundbounce early in the combo many characters have no way to escape standing L xx H Hooligan, even if they neutral tech. Of those that do you can fake it and go for a jumping pipe to catch airdashes or superjump to command grab to catch double jumps. Really though, if you can extend your combos with both assists, Haggar doesn't need resets because he can kill anyone off of an airthrow. I'll still go for it if I'm confidant my opponent has no way out or I feel like I have a really good read, but otherwise saving the meter isn't really worth the risk.

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
So yesterday I went to a tournament in Fall River. There was some pretty good competition from Mass and Rhode Island, around 20 people showed up for marvel. I ended up winning the tournament with wolverine/doom/spencer.

Here is the winners/losers/grand finals set of the tournament: http://www.twitch.tv/gameunderground/b/363366135?t=3h0m0s

I actually managed to land a couple of doom infinites, although I dropped 'em a couple of times.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
I basically won Savage Saturday except Chris G

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Boobs is Fun! posted:

I basically won Savage Saturday except Chris G

I wonder how many times this has been said by various people at different tournaments.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation

Vildiil posted:

I wonder how many times this has been said by various people at different tournaments.

A LOT.
That's why first place is 70% and second is 20%, dude is three and a half times better than you. =\

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Boobs is Fun! posted:

A LOT.
That's why first place is 70% and second is 20%, dude is three and a half times better than you. =\

I was going to say you're being a bit modest there... and then I watched the stream archive and saw he took GF in the first set with a Phoenix Wright troll team... Chris loving G.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
Yeah I dunno - maybe I shoulda stuck with the other team, or maybe Chris G just turned on his stuff and pulled out the wins and would have regardless. Still I'm taking more games off him these days, troll/main team. I definitely feel like I'm getting better/closer.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of Marvel players: those that know how to deal with Trish and those that do not.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Chaotic Flame posted:

I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of Marvel players: those that know how to deal with Trish and those that do not.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Most Hawkeyes get into a routine to keep Trish out and once they do, it's pretty easy to get in and stay in.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've come to a similar conclusion, and it goes something like this:

Mid Tier struggles against Top Tier. Especially Top Tier that sits in the top right or left corner of the screen, mixing in an occasional divekick or trap.

Also, who could have guessed that when Capcom announced zoning was getting considerably buffed in Ultimate, that zoning characters would generally excel.

(If all of this sounds vaguely salty... that's because it is <sobs uncontrollably>)

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
Anything on for today?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Acute Hepatitis posted:

Anything on for today?

I died. No but I'm not gonna be able to do the tournament for a while so if someone wants to pick it up for me they have the green light.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I've come to a similar conclusion, and it goes something like this:

Mid Tier struggles against Top Tier. Especially Top Tier that sits in the top right or left corner of the screen, mixing in an occasional divekick or trap.

Trish really isn't considered "Top Tier" by most people. She's far from bad, I can certainly see the argument for upper mid/lower high tier but there's definitely a reason she's a lot less played than the real top tier characters.

That said some of her matchups against characters with sub-par mobility (who don't bring along Vajra) are pretty heavily in her favor and can be frustrating and salt-inducing and I totally understand, man.

On the subject, though, is it known what the hell happened to Jago? I haven't really seen anyone else repping the lady, pretty disappointing her one recognizable player seems to have vanished.

Nimdok
Dec 11, 2012
I got this game for PS3 about two weeks ago, and am having a lot of trouble in improving my game. I've been doing Mission mode almost every day, but the most advanced thing I can do is Dr. Doom's corner loop (3 rotations into lvl3 or rocks>sphere flame). It's really discouraging because while I realize that getting good at a fighting game takes time, I wanna be able to get up to a competent level as quickly as possible.

I'm having trouble deciding on a team too, since me being a noob I can't really visualize assist synergy very well. I know that I want to play Dr. Doom because he's awesome and foot dive, and I was thinking about using Super Skrull as an anchor but I have no idea who to use as a point character.

I guess what I'm asking for is general information about team synergy, helpful tutorials, and how to improve at fighting games.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Seizure Robot posted:

On the subject, though, is it known what the hell happened to Jago? I haven't really seen anyone else repping the lady, pretty disappointing her one recognizable player seems to have vanished.
He hasn't been to tournaments much since he rejoined EMP, and he plays Zero/Dante/Vergil now anyway. Can't think of any stream regulars that still use Trish other than RDK and he doesn't place well anymore.

I have Trish in the middle of the pack on my personal tier list, but that could just be from lack of exposure and knowledge when it comes to her.

Nimdok posted:

I'm having trouble deciding on a team too, since me being a noob I can't really visualize assist synergy very well. I know that I want to play Dr. Doom because he's awesome and foot dive, and I was thinking about using Super Skrull as an anchor but I have no idea who to use as a point character.
I think Doom can work as a point character, especially since you have the most confidence in him. Sentinel's drones assist works really well with Doom and he's fairly simple to pick up. Doom/Sentinel/Skrull in pretty much any order could work for you.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

iPodschun posted:

He hasn't been to tournaments much since he rejoined EMP, and he plays Zero/Dante/Vergil now anyway. Can't think of any stream regulars that still use Trish other than RDK and he doesn't place well anymore.

Well there is the marvel god Tabs aka Young Chow aka Young Cheezy aka Tabpocalypse Now from these very forums who does well in all the texas events!

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
KBrad plays Trish and he does decent in Marvel.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
Jago isn't competing in games anymore, or at least right now.
He goes to some events to get casuals in, but that's about it.
He IS working on becoming a "bboy" or breakdancer.

Nimdok
Dec 11, 2012

iPodschun posted:

I think Doom can work as a point character, especially since you have the most confidence in him. Sentinel's drones assist works really well with Doom and he's fairly simple to pick up. Doom/Sentinel/Skrull in pretty much any order could work for you.

Thanks for the advice. I tried out Doom/Sentinel/Skrull in arcade mode and you are right, the drones assist is very good for Doom. However, another problem that I've encountered in trying to play certain characters like Sentinel and Iron Man is that I can't seem to reliably connect MMHS in the air after a launch (for Iron Man MMHd.HS). I can do it just fine with all other characters I play, but something in particular about those two always seems to lead to me dropping it for unknown reasons. Is there a certain way I should position myself in the air when using Sentinel or Iron Man or am I just doinitwrong?

Addendum: How about Chris as a point character for Doom and Super Skrull? He seems pretty fun to play.

Nimdok fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 11, 2013

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

You just need to adjust to the the timing a bit for those special characters, which can take a little bit to get used to.

Sentinel you want to pause a split second before you jump. I recommend turning off the "Hold S to auto super jump after launch" option. After you get used to that slight pause, connecting MMHS is easy. If you don't feel confident in it during a match you can just do MHS which is pretty easy for sent to do.

Also in the corner it's easier to just jump straight up, then do MMHS. If you go up-forward, sent can push up against them, and they push on the wall, which moves sent slightly up and over them. This can make one of your moves miss.

When you feel saucy you can try the MH fly LLMHS which I found can be more consistent if you aren't sure you have the right angle. But just watch out with the Ls after the Fly if you play someone online. I tend to drop that online a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

For Iron Man it looks from your notation like you're using forward+H, I don't really play him anymore but I always used down+H before the S at the end of his air strings instead and don't remember it requiring any special timing so I'd give that a shot.

• Locked thread