Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well this latest episode was just goddamn heartwarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I just wish they didn't spent half an episode being happy about saving Hibito

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
How long are they scheduled to be on the moon for? Despite Damian having frostbite, I see no reason to scrub the mission and go home due to that, seeing as he's receiving all the medical care he needs. Plus, it could be used as an opportunity to study how well frostbite heals in an alien environment (well, at least gravity being 0.165).

Seeing as people stay aboard the ISS for 3 to 5 months at a time in an entirely zero gee environment, I see no reason that their stay could be closer to 6-8 months.

Other concern being that you need to exercise 2 hours a day aboard ISS, and proably 1 to 1.5 hours on the moonbase to try and halt bone density loss and muscle loss, Damian's going to have a hard time doing any meaningful exercise.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I have good faith that the show will address absolutely 0 of the things you brought up (except not scrubbing the mission, which they're not going to do), as it has already proven that it's not exactly going for strict adherence to realism.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

The Black Stones posted:

I have good faith that the show will address absolutely 0 of the things you brought up (except not scrubbing the mission, which they're not going to do), as it has already proven that it's not exactly going for strict adherence to realism.
Case in point, Nitta would be the black ranger and namba the blue ranger, unless they had some totally different bizarro Power Rangers in Japan. Murasaki is the green ranger, nuts to the pun. :colbert:

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
Also covered, Pug is Dog.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
Is there a tumblr or image album or something documenting all of Mutta's dad's shirts? Because there needs to be.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Is there an advantage to a lunar telescope compared to an orbital one like the Hubble? I suspect that lunar dust would make maintenance very difficult.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Rexides posted:

Is there an advantage to a lunar telescope compared to an orbital one like the Hubble? I suspect that lunar dust would make maintenance very difficult.

Only if it kicked onto the telescope when you were deploying it. Not like there's any wind to blow dust onto it.

Also, you could make it a lot bigger to get better resolution, and if you place it on the far side of the moon, you get pretty much perfect silence for radio telescopy. At least, that's my best guess.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mitsuo posted:

Only if it kicked onto the telescope when you were deploying it. Not like there's any wind to blow dust onto it.

Lunar dust might not be as still as you imagine, there seems to be some lunar dust moving around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_soil#Moon_dust_fountains_and_electrostatic_levitation

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Compared to satellites you could make it much much bigger and easier to service and upgrade. Every kind of telescope or antenna should get a supersized moon version. It seems like turning a crater into a parabolic antenna would just require setting up a bunch of reflectors.

I googled to make sure I wasn't misusing any words and found mention of a NASA report titled "Utilization of crater reflectors for lunar radio astronomy "

Giant Enemy Cliche
Oct 10, 2012

"It was then that an ominous man stood beside me with a face of ill portent."
Namba's parents are such great characters. They're written so perfectly for that kind of old couple.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Seeing our JAXA candidates in the blue jumpsuits made me feel all proud. It's all go from here!

I hope they do another past flashback, but involving Commander Chris Hadfield. That'd make my day!

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

AfroGunsou posted:

Is there a tumblr or image album or something documenting all of Mutta's dad's shirts? Because there needs to be.

I was thinking this very same thing, though I'd extend it to all of the shirts/hats in the show as there have been some good ones worn by people other than Mutta's dad.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Episode 46: Now that's the painfully awkward Mutta that made me love this show. He wore his jumpsuit to the airport :buddy:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
They spent over five minutes on whats her face this episode and the only thing I took away from it was that her dad is apparently J Jonah Jameson.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Holy poo poo that Vincent dude. Mutta's hardest trials have yet to come.

And are they even trying with the "Space photos" any more? Just a guy cutting a pie? Just pull a nebulae or something from NASA's site for gently caress's sake, seriously.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rexides posted:

Holy poo poo that Vincent dude. Mutta's hardest trials have yet to come.

And are they even trying with the "Space photos" any more? Just a guy cutting a pie? Just pull a nebulae or something from NASA's site for gently caress's sake, seriously.

Maybe it's a moon pie.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, Murasaki, if you stopped being such a dick to people then maybe NASA would let you go on a mission :colbert:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Given how safety first NASA are, they are probably genuinely concerned that his prankster attitude would cause a problem in space.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Saw the most recent episode, man the pacing in this show... Its easy to joke about how turtles would probably be jealous but it means I got a nice "constant" in terms of "a show that I know is 'always' on that I like", like how my mom watches General Hospital or some other Soap Opera.

In today's episode we transition from the Classroom environments back to the Desert Environment from the Lunar Environment, and for a change of pace Mr Scorpion arrives to lighten the mood by proving its manliness to the only ASCAN it can, namely by picking on Nanba Mutta. :D "It's trying to intimidate me!"

Speculation: My guess is Nitta does have a younger brother but he's disowned or a dropout?

I like my coffee cold :colbert:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Speculation: My guess is Nitta does have a younger brother but he's disowned or a dropout?

I like my coffee cold :colbert:

Definitely, show is being pretty obvious about that. I think it's to give us an edge when Nanba goes "Oh, well she was wrong about Nitta, so whatever worried her about me won't come true" will seem all the more possible when it's revealed Nitta does have a brother

Any Questions?

Of course not!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ASCANS is a really unfortunate contraction.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode: NASA plays hardball apparently with its recruits. Oh boy, rattlesnackes... Also Nitta lost his phone I'm guessing; I'm 99% sure the team decides to go back to get the phone and while they end up last place. Either I *think* will gain them points for teamwork, or horribly screw them up short term in terms of training slots, making them work harder but as a better team to catch up.

I think Nitta showed more character and maybe talked more this episode than I've seen him for the last 30 episodes combined.

Serika owns. Quick someone make a giff of her jumping up and down in complete joy for finding a cache of food.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Raenir Salazar posted:

New episode: NASA plays hardball apparently with its recruits. Oh boy, rattlesnackes... Also Nitta lost his phone I'm guessing; I'm 99% sure the team decides to go back to get the phone and while they end up last place. Either I *think* will gain them points for teamwork, or horribly screw them up short term in terms of training slots, making them work harder but as a better team to catch up.

[spoiler]Nitta definitely left his phone behind, if I'm reading the preview for next week's episode correctly. It does seem likely that they'll turn around to get it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Serika owns. Quick someone make a giff of her jumping up and down in complete joy for finding a cache of food.

She was so stoked when she found the cache. It's great.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

King of Solomon posted:

Nitta definitely left his phone behind, if I'm reading the preview for next week's episode correctly. It does seem likely that they'll turn around to get it.

It's pretty obvious what happened, when Nitta got tackled by Mutta the phone fell out of his pocket and he didn't realize that it had fallen during the incident. He's definitely going to go back to get it and manage to get the call JUST IN TIME.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Tiny Easter Egg: The License Plate on the Jeep is 596 Sun, which also spells Go Ku Ro San

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I've been reading the manga in tandem with watching the anime, and the most hilarious form of censorship just popped up.

In the manga, the second NASA instructor after burning his mouth on the coffee lights a cigarette and states "I'm confident that I'll never stop smoking!", and in the anime, it's the kiddy orange juice. :v:

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think the kid is Nitta's son.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Dan7el posted:

I think the kid is Nitta's son.

Why the hell would you think that? They've said it's his brother. All the forshadowing (and previews) point to him being a shut-in of whom Nitta is ashamed.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I stopped watching this for a few weeks because I was busy. Just caught up now.

Nitta's brother is probably a hikkikomori or whatever. Nitta yelled at him because all he did was stay in his room and make 'gal games' while their parents pushed left meals outside his door.

Either way, I'm looking forward to learning more about Nitta - I thought it was odd he wasn't given more backstory along with the others a few episodes ago.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I thought the Indian Seer said he had a brother and he denied it. I figured she "saw" a boy who was of an age to be his brother, related to him, but not his brother. Ergo.. his son. . I'll admit the shut-in idea never occurred to me. Is it that big of a shameful thing that Nitta would lie about it? Seems somewhat common. I don't know.

What would be more embarrassing? A shut-in for a brother or maybe a some kid you had when you were really young .

If the Indian woman is 100% correct at all times, then I am dead wrong. Also, Nitta seems to be really wanting to resolve things with this kid. Seems to go beyond mere brother to brothed to me.

Edit- more spoiler tag use.

Dan7el fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 20, 2013

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If it was Nitta's son, the kid wouldn't be staying with his sister, it would be with the mother. Having shut-in relatives is considered embarrassing in America, how shameful do you think they would be to people living in a society that place such a high value on hard work and putting the community first? Especially for a guy like Nitta. You are massively over thinking this.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

paragon1 posted:

If it was Nitta's son, the kid wouldn't be staying with his sister, it would be with the mother. Having shut-in relatives is considered embarrassing in America, how shameful do you think they would be to people living in a society that place such a high value on hard work and putting the community first? Especially for a guy like Nitta. You are massively over thinking this.

I think this is where you've got it. Nitta's big thing (well, his only thing, aside from being quiet and competitive) is that he is very fit. Hell, isn't his degree in athletic medicine or something like that? I can't remember exactly, but the emphasis was on fitness. If his brother was a shut-in, that would make the most sense as a counterpoint and for why he'd feel ashamed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There's only one problem with the theory though: He seems to very badly want to get back in touch with him or help him out in some way, the impression I got was to get him to move to America with him. That doesn't quite make sense to me if he was ashamed of him.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's only one problem with the theory though: He seems to very badly want to get back in touch with him or help him out in some way, the impression I got was to get him to move to America with him. That doesn't quite make sense to me if he was ashamed of him.

It's more than likely that after being apart from his brother for so long, and aging a bit, he probably realized he was being a huge rear end in a top hat by overreacting to it. Now he wants to reconnect with him because he realized he made a mistake

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode, haha! I was right!

Nitta only lied because he didn't want to compare Hibito to his brother, he never "disowned" him and seems like he's been pretty consistently trying/hoping/pleading for his brother to leave his room.

This show is so :3:

I also this show is the only show that can somehow have the absolutely glacial pacing it has and somehow manages to make episode pass by like nothin', it just works somehow.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Raenir Salazar posted:

New episode, haha! I was right!

Nitta only lied because he didn't want to compare Hibito to his brother, he never "disowned" him and seems like he's been pretty consistently trying/hoping/pleading for his brother to leave his room.

This show is so :3:

I also this show is the only show that can somehow have the absolutely glacial pacing it has and somehow manages to make episode pass by like nothin', it just works somehow.

Just caught the episode.

Pretty tragic, the way they describe the brother with having the first incident lasting six months then gradually ending up in his current state. It sounds like he's got some sort of mental disorder that after the first incident they just hoped he got over and then it got worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
New episode, pretty good character episode.

Okay, quick question for anyone who is light weight enough to actually try it or knows people who do, but is the way Kazuya sits on his chair actually at all comfortable?

• Locked thread