Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Chaltab posted:

What's wrong with the 3DS version?

I've played the demo and while there's nothing really WRONG with it that I can suss out it does look and feel like the flash version of a much better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mennonites Revenge posted:

I think it's great how Nintendo's allowing the complaints to show up on the launch screen of every Internet-connected Wii U in America. Of course, I doubt they'd do that if people were, say, criticizing a Zelda delay.

Nintendo has been pretty good about free speech. Last I checked people were posting complaints about games and it never got pulled. They seem wishy washy however on the whole "you can't draw celebrities" thing though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Policenaut posted:

In Nintendo's financial report thing, the Xenoblade Wii U game is only scheduled for 2013 in Japan so we'll probably be waiting until 2014 for it overseas. Just in time to fight against Versus 13 :getin:

Haha you think Versus 13 is ever coming out. That's like me expecting any Atlus games to ever be released in Europe.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Katana Gomai posted:

Haha you think Versus 13 is ever coming out. That's like me expecting any Atlus games to ever be released in Europe.

Versus 13 is another one of those "people who've leaked legit things in the past are doing it again" deluge that's been happening the past couple weeks, so it's nice to have some hope again.

edit: just gotta keep playing dont stop believing on repeat and maybe it'll be legit cmonnnnnn

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Chaltab posted:

What's wrong with the 3DS version?

One thing is on the normal 3DS display it is hard to distinguish what is going on because the original was so detailed. It just doesn't transfer as well the smaller screen, especially when the main character who is tiny to begin with gets even smaller. The controls also seem to be less responsive to me. The Wii version is fantastic however.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Kotaku hasn't been outed for being a rag in the last 30 minutes has it?
http://kotaku.com/5983179/three-months-after-it-launched-the-wii-u-is-irrelevant-to-sports-gaming
Being irrelevant to sports gaming is why my ipad and 3ds is doomed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Kotaku hasn't been outed for being a rag in the last 30 minutes has it?
http://kotaku.com/5983179/three-months-after-it-launched-the-wii-u-is-irrelevant-to-sports-gaming
Being irrelevant to sports gaming is why my ipad and 3ds is doomed.
It's a pretty big story if Madden is not coming to Wii U. I don't care who publishes that story or what their spin is. I'm more than a little concerned.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You know what other console didn't have Madden? The Dreamcast.

:byodood: NINTENDO IS DOOMED WII U IS A FAILURE MARIO ON PS4 :byodood:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

You know what other console didn't have Madden? The Dreamcast.

:byodood: NINTENDO IS DOOMED WII U IS A FAILURE MARIO ON PS4 :byodood:

The Dreamcast had the 2K sports games, which were better than EA's in every possible way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Wii U has a Madden, it's just that it was literally Madden 12, and not even in the joking "all Madden games are the same" sense, but literally Madden 12 with the number changed on the title screen.

Which is, whatever, it's a launch game. But if EA has no confidence in selling a Madden title at the 9-12 month mark of the system being out, then what is their general level of confidence in the system? Madden historically has been a guaranteed seller no matter what it's put on. EA already phoned in their support at launch, but if they're already giving up on the system, and they're the top show in town, it's... concerning, to say the least.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo and EA have pretty much had a falling out and we all know this.

That said, Nintendo would be smart to once again create a Nintendo Sports division like they used to have in the 90s and get to work on their own games to make up for the loss.

Time for the return of NBA Courtside, NHL Stanley Cup and Ken Griffey Jr. Winning Run!

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
Tecmo Super Bowl 2013, and I'll settle for nothing less.

:colbert:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Wii U has a Madden, it's just that it was literally Madden 12, and not even in the joking "all Madden games are the same" sense, but literally Madden 12 with the number changed on the title screen.

They did the same with FIFA and I agree that if they are not releasing the "proper" versions of Madden/FIFA 14 for WiiU that's a serious sign of distrust and an issue for the WiiU. However, that doesn't change the fact that no one should ever cite, source, link, quote, or even outright acknowledge Kotaku or Gawker in general.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rack posted:

Agreed. Actually, I think Nintendo should walk in with a "CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES" by making NHL Stanley Cup, have Tecmo license a Super Bowl game and convince Sega to make World Series again exclusive to the Wii U. Then just add a PGA Pro Tour game, convince WWE to give them the license for a Wrestlemania game (DLC: Star Man, Hayabusa, Amazon, Panther, Kin Korn Karn, Great Puma, King Slender) and top it off with a soccer game.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
All this doom and gloom being called for Nintendo is utterly ridiculous. Nintendo is not hurting. Every time a new system comes out everyone screams about the death of one of the big 3, as if the market can't support 3 consoles at the same time. Calling the Dreamcast out for the death of Sega isn't a fair comparison either, because Sega had major issues even before the Dreamcast came out and was hurting even before then. Sega already had a history of releasing systems they lost money on. From the 32x, to the Sega CD, to the Saturn, Sega had issues.

Nintendo hasn't had a problem. The N64 and GameCube were both insanely profitable. The GBA, SP, and DS made them millions. The 3DS is outselling all the other consoles right now. The Wii U is outselling the Vita. Unlike Sega, Nintendo doesn't need the 3rd parties to survive. Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Metroid sell consoles. The Wii U is selling slow, sure, but only one game from their big franchises has been released. People don't buy the Wii or the Wii U for the typical brofest games like Madden and Tiger Woods and Call of Duty. I can sort of see an argument for Tiger Woods, but once again that's not a game that sells a console. The Wii U is the system you buy to play Nintendo games, and when you have a few friends over to play party games with. Just like the Wii in most "hardcore" gamer houses, gamers will buy it for a few exclusives and for the few games to do multiplayer in the same living room. Meanwhile they'll buy either a PS3 or an Xbox for their Madden fix, and their online gaming and their Call of Duty.

I didn't buy a Wii U because I want to play the 3rd party games that I can get on any other system. I bought a Wii U because of Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin 3. That is what most gamers will do. That's what they've been doing since the N64.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Policenaut posted:

The Dreamcast had the 2K sports games, which were better than EA's in every possible way.

The Dreamcast died, btw

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mandrel posted:

The Dreamcast died, btw

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Rack posted:

NFL Blitz (the one I play on the N64 when I'm drunk) is the best football game ever made.

Strat
Nov 6, 2004
For those in the EU or Australia (or other PAL Regions) Zavvi currentyly have Sonic Transformed for 14 Pounds (~$23 Australian shipped)

http://www.zavvi.com/games-wii-u/sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed-limited-edition/10650119.html

It might take a little bit of time to ship, but a great price!!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Zelder posted:

NFL Blitz (the one I play on the N64 when I'm drunk) is the best football game ever made.

That game was pretty much NFL Hail Mary for me. I made custom plays for the purpose of letting me throw the ball really far.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I am not concerned because of Nintendo doom and gloom, I am only concerned that the Wii U is going to seriously lack in quantity of titles. And not just quality titles but titles period, if major publishers are considering washing their hands of it. Nintendo could have five consoles fail in a row and not be worried about their bottom line. I only care about my purchase.

Even the Sonic the Hedgehog cycle got broken, not every cycle has to be perpetually observed for the rest of time.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I am not concerned because of Nintendo doom and gloom, I am only concerned that the Wii U is going to seriously lack in quantity of titles. And not just quality titles but titles period, if major publishers are considering washing their hands of it. Nintendo could have five consoles fail in a row and not be worried about their bottom line. I only care about my purchase.

Even the Sonic the Hedgehog cycle got broken, not every cycle has to be perpetually observed for the rest of time.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about Nintendo dying (they weathered much worse), but I hope this doesn't turn into another Gamecube era, where most of the third parties just don't bother and it just almost entirely 1st and 2nd party games. Of course it could be like the Wii era, where it had third party support, but it also had a flood of bad shovelware.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, when you see developers straight-up snub a platform that can easily support the 360/PS3 generation titles they're making, that's when you have to wonder what's happening in behind-closed-doors meetings between Nintendo and third parties.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Frozen-Solid posted:

I didn't buy a Wii U because I want to play the 3rd party games that I can get on any other system. I bought a Wii U because of Mario, Zelda, and Pikmin 3. That is what most gamers will do. That's what they've been doing since the N64.

It'd be nice if I could still get by with Nintendo + PC and basically cover everything, but people who were born since the last time that was the case can vote soon, so...

I might be pissed if I could only own one console or something, but does that really matter? I mean, thinking back on it I was pretty happy with the Wii, Gamecube and even N64 in spite of a similar situation. There wasn't quantity and a lot of lull periods but none of them really got shafted over the life of the system in terms of games I actually remember or have any desire to ever play again. The N64 being the absolute low-point there.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

All this doom and gloom being called for Nintendo is utterly ridiculous. Nintendo is not hurting. Every time a new system comes out everyone screams about the death of one of the big 3, as if the market can't support 3 consoles at the same time. Calling the Dreamcast out for the death of Sega isn't a fair comparison either, because Sega had major issues even before the Dreamcast came out and was hurting even before then. Sega already had a history of releasing systems they lost money on. From the 32x, to the Sega CD, to the Saturn, Sega had issues.

Nintendo hasn't had a problem. The N64 and GameCube were both insanely profitable. The GBA, SP, and DS made them millions. The 3DS is outselling all the other consoles right now. The Wii U is outselling the Vita. Unlike Sega, Nintendo doesn't need the 3rd parties to survive. Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and Metroid sell consoles. The Wii U is selling slow, sure, but only one game from their big franchises has been released. People don't buy the Wii or the Wii U for the typical brofest games like Madden and Tiger Woods and Call of Duty. I can sort of see an argument for Tiger Woods, but once again that's not a game that sells a console. The Wii U is the system you buy to play Nintendo games, and when you have a few friends over to play party games with. Just like the Wii in most "hardcore" gamer houses, gamers will buy it for a few exclusives and for the few games to do multiplayer in the same living room. Meanwhile they'll buy either a PS3 or an Xbox for their Madden fix, and their online gaming and their Call of Duty.

:frogout: We don't need none of that logic bullshit here. Thee WiiU is literally the Virtual boy.

Buffer posted:

It'd be nice if I could still get by with Nintendo + PC and basically cover everything, but people who were born since the last time that was the case can vote soon, so...
This is what I have been doing for the past 6 years and possibly what I'll keep doing until the PC dies.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

Chernabog posted:

:frogout: We don't need none of that logic bullshit here. Thee WiiU is literally the Virtual boy.

Can't it be both? Can't "I got the console for the Nintendo games and nothing else" be just as true as "huh it sure would be cool for the console if the big multiplatforms were released on it?" I really don't know why people are so insistant on their choice being the majority's choice.

quote:

This is what I have been doing for the past 6 years and possibly what I'll keep doing until the PC dies.

That's good for you but there have been a ton of great PS3/360 exclusives and denying that is just factually wrong. Again, this doesn't mean that everyone has to buy all consoles, people should really just stop trying to force their buying decisions on others.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

Can't it be both? Can't "I got the console for the Nintendo games and nothing else" be just as true as "huh it sure would be cool for the console if the big multiplatforms were released on it?" I really don't know why people are so insistant on their choice being the majority's choice.

That's good for you but there have been a ton of great PS3/360 exclusives and denying that is just factually wrong. Again, this doesn't mean that everyone has to buy all consoles, people should really just stop trying to force their buying decisions on others.

Honestly everything I've wanted to play PS3/360 wise has come to PC, the Assassin's Creeds, Batman, Dark Souls, Prototype, GTA, Saints Row, Farcry, Crysis and a shitton more. The main thing I look for in a console is local multiplayer and since my friends have kids and the such Nintendo local multiplayer works out even better.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

socialsecurity posted:

Honestly everything I've wanted to play PS3/360 wise has come to PC, the Assassin's Creeds, Batman, Dark Souls, Prototype, GTA, Saints Row, Farcry, Crysis and a shitton more. The main thing I look for in a console is local multiplayer and since my friends have kids and the such Nintendo local multiplayer works out even better.

You missed out on Dragon's Dogma. And Demon's Souls.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Magnatux posted:

MH3U - Wasn't really sure about this but now that rayman is gone i'm considering buying it for the void as well, never played MH at all, but it looks like a Pokemon truck slammed into a JRPG and somebody released a polished sculpture of the crash. So Ubisoft helped Capcom a little!

Monster Hunter isn't anything like Pokemon and it isn't a JRPG, so if that is why you are interested in it you might want to read about it some more.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Katana Gomai posted:

Can't it be both? Can't "I got the console for the Nintendo games and nothing else" be just as true as "huh it sure would be cool for the console if the big multiplatforms were released on it?"

Both are true, the problem is when people take "it sure would be nice if Madden were on the Wii U" to the level of "Madden isn't on the Wii U? NINTENDO IS DOOMED AND GOING BANKRUPT :siren: which is exactly what happened in that terrible Kotaku article. Yes, it sucks that 3rd parties are ignoring the Wii U, but it doesn't spell the end of Nintendo. That's all I'm saying.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nintendo systems should be bought for primarily nintendo made games. Third party games being good is a bonus.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It'd be nice to click this thread after seeing 5308594058 unread posts and be greeted with actual news for a change.

EDIT: here's some - off-TV play, Pro support and expanded touch screen controls confirmed for Resident Evil Revelations.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Buffer posted:

Really? I mean granted this is more because of the PC coming back into its own rather than Nintendo filling in the gap but I feel like Nintendo + PC is a pretty good choice this generation.

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

Buying Nintendo consoles simply for their first party game is a given but having little outside of that is going to leave the system with long periods of game stagnation and a less diversify lineup. I love Nintendo but I can't justify buying their console just to play their games every few months and I am sure others feel the same. Having little third party support is a huge negative no matter how you cut it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

It can't be both, according to track record. So I just make due with what we've got. Ideally all the titles would be out for all the platforms. For me that's not a deal-breaker though, because I'm perfectly happy with my current setup and I don't feel like I have missed much. In fact, I can't think of a single exclusive game that I really wish I had the chance to play. To be fair, this could be attributed to me not paying attention to the other console titles, but my point is that I have played all of the things that I wanted, and if I didn't, I didn't miss them anyway.
This works for me, if it doesn't for you then that's ok too. I'm not trying to force my buying habits on other people, I just hate all the "Oh no the (Nintendo Console) is a failure" line of thinking when that is clearly not the case.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Black Baby Goku posted:

Nintendo systems should be bought for primarily nintendo made games. Third party games being good is a bonus.

That's the reason less third party games are made for Nintendo consoles.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Only buy a WiiU next generation. Whenever you hit a lull between first party mega hits, work out and go to bars. Boom, Nintendo has improved your social life and gotten you further from the odious habit that is "gaming". Thanks Nintendo!

Wii U: Wii do it for U

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zelder posted:

I wish they hadn't messed up so much when they made the most recent Blitz game. I wish they hadn't messed up on Jam and Blitz for these consoles. NBA Jam On Fire Edition was really close to being great. If it had better post release support, it might have been my favorite XBLA game. It was really surprising when they recently updated the roster in that game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

weird bleep posted:

Monster Hunter isn't anything like Pokemon and it isn't a JRPG, so if that is why you are interested in it you might want to read about it some more.

Yeah. The best way I can describe Monster Hunter is that it's just the bosses from Dark Souls only much more fleshed out and you find them in the wild eating berries, and then you make giant swords and lance-guns out of their body parts.

It is also pretty hard as balls, even with a lot of assistance the advanced bosses can absolutely wreck the best teams if they're not really careful, whereas in Dark Souls all the bosses become jokes if you get even one phantom to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
/\ I also need to play dark souls. I keep hearing and reading about it. There's an Lp but I havent seen too many bosses yet while watching

weird bleep posted:

Indeed. I'm a little confused though, it's a remake of a 2010 game? With more stuff, I see, but outside of those who haven't gotten into monster hunter and start now, why would they be making this instead of a whole new game? Perhaps I misread, but now that I've looked it up, I actually want it more. Quite the pleasant surprise. Thank you for telling me how far off I was.

Magnatux fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 11, 2013

• Locked thread