Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haven't had any problems with my SH30. The only time it gets moisture on it is when I sit down on the bench after a shift. It doesn't fog up though, just gets wet. It's perfectly fine once I start skating again.

I ended up ordering a clear SH30 with that 30% off thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

My god. Look at these ugly-rear end skates. Just loving look at them.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EMAK

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

My god. Look at these ugly-rear end skates. Just loving look at them.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EMAK

As a dude who owns MLX skates, I can tell you that regardless of looks they are phenomenal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least when they were under the MLX name they avoided making them look like spiderman was the art director. Yeah the shape is kind of weird, but if they're as good as everyone says, who cares?

I know if I ever consider a pro skate that's where I'm looking.

Is the toe box as narrow as they look? That is, the vertical space? My toes float around a lot in my eastons, and I'm curious what a more snug fit would be like.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

xzzy posted:

At least when they were under the MLX name they avoided making them look like spiderman was the art director. Yeah the shape is kind of weird, but if they're as good as everyone says, who cares?

Is the toe box as narrow as they look? That is, the vertical space? My toes float around a lot in my eastons, and I'm curious what a more snug fit would be like.

It doesn't feel that tight to me, but I have tiny baby feet. It's definitely tighter than my reebok 10ks were, for comparison.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Wait, weren't you the one who had all sorts of issues with the skates being too tight? :confused:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, but only on the width part, which I've got figured out now. End result is my skates fit pretty loose right now, so on some far off day when I'm buying new skates I might consider something that has a thicker tongue or less vertical space.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Just get a new tongue that is thicker and superglue that son of a bitch in there.

Mine are glued and have held up really well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I've been planning on trying some temporary inserts to see how I like it.

But I'm also curious how guys who wear MLX skates feel with a shorter boot. I file that poo poo away man, and save it for later. :spergin:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've wanted to play organized hockey ever since I was 9, so I dropped a poo poo load of cash at Total Hockey yesterday and bought everything.

I'm loving pumped.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Minto Took posted:

I've wanted to play organized hockey ever since I was 9, so I dropped a poo poo load of cash at Total Hockey yesterday and bought everything.

I'm loving pumped.

Lol thats awesome. Best part about being an adult with a checking/savings and disposable income. Have fun and dont get frustrated when little 10 year old assholes blow by you in a sticks and pucks session.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

Verman posted:

Lol thats awesome. Best part about being an adult with a checking/savings and disposable income. Have fun and dont get frustrated when little 10 year old assholes blow by you in a sticks and pucks session.

Seriously. Those little bastards...thankfully most of them get terrified when you come barreling down the ice after them/the puck. Careful not to actually run them over though!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Thanks. The plan right now is get my skating legs back and attend some scrimmages with ~*my goalie girlfriend*~ plus some rat hockey. I'll sign up for league play afterwards.

xzzy posted:

What is your locale?

North side of Chicago.

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 10, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What is your locale?

schzim
May 24, 2006
tl;dr
I'm attending my first hockey clinic (run by a local college team coach) ever this week.
Any advice on how to get the most out of it?
One area I'm looking to improve on is keeping my speed with the puck and shooting and passing while moving with speed so hopefully some drills will help me out.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You'll see no difference in one camp.

If you want to get the most out of it pay attention to the drills and think how you can modify them to dry land or stick and puck situations.

Also go through the full motions of every drill at every time. Don't get lazy, coast to the last cone or take shortcuts on form. Speed isn't really the key, doing it right is. So try your best to do everything right rather than quickly using whatever bad habits you have now.

Have fun! Practice is the best.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

What is your locale?

You have a new friend

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
It is amazing how fast skills come back after not playing for a few years. Unfortunately it is also amazing how overconfidence can end in a nice groin pull. When the discomfort disappears what should I be doing to strengthen the adductors?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I learned my first deke today, the one where you flick the puck back with the toe of the blade and kick it back up behind the leg you're still standing on. Up to now I've just been using my size and skating to play keep away.

Between this and my Malik shootout move I got softer hands than on NHL13.

... too bad I still can't get any lift on my wrist shots

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Minto Took posted:

I'm loving pumped.

:3: Welcome!

Hockey owns.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I'm loving pumped.

This was me 3 years ago. Said gently caress it one random day, signed up for the LTP class, and dropped a shitload of money on all the gear. Been having a blast ever since.

Welcome to the addiction.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

You have a new friend

Sort of.. I'm south suburbs, which is basically another country!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This was me 3 years ago. Said gently caress it one random day, signed up for the LTP class, and dropped a shitload of money on all the gear. Been having a blast ever since.

Welcome to the addiction.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!!!

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Went all out at today's LTP clinic... 45 min of skating drills and a 15 min. scrimmage. Felt like throwing up by the end but drat it was exhilarating pushing hard and testing my stamina. The best hobby.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Went all out at today's LTP clinic... 45 min of skating drills and a 15 min. scrimmage. Felt like throwing up by the end but drat it was exhilarating pushing hard and testing my stamina. The best hobby.

Nice, keep at it. I went to pickup last night, small turnout so we did 3v3 with 1 goalie, but it was a blast, Im still way out of shape.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
My team barely had 10 skaters tonight. I feel like death. We won though.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I've been taking it easy for the past month or so because ever since a really stupid fall I took playing inline hockey at a friend's birthday, I've had horrible nerve-related pain in the sacrococcygeal region of my back and it seems like kind of paresis in my legs. I got out on the ice once as far as playing goes and within the first 5 minutes I was unable to skate at all like I'm used to skating and was basically gliding around crouched over at about 1/2 speed. Of course I still stayed out for like 2 hours, but I was hurting pretty bad.

So I gave myself some time off and today I lined a Peewee game, and it went pretty okay so hopefully I can get back into playing more often again. I loving hate not being able to play. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think getting into games was a bad idea because all I'm doing is counting hours to the next one. Seriously, I got the bug bad. Shoulda started this 20 years ago.

Maybe by fall I can play both the instructional and the house league. :v:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I should stop playing defense in beer league, and stick to defense in inline only. My legs and ankles can't take much more pucks into them.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JetsGuy posted:

My team barely had 10 skaters tonight. I feel like death. We won though.

Nice. Have you ever played with 6 or 7 skaters? Good times.

Well it's only taken me three years, but I'm finally sorting out proper hydration before the game (yeah, go ahead and laugh, it's okay. I've always known hydration is key, but actually doing it sort of eluded me), and I have this thread to thank for it. A while back somebody (I can't remember who, sorry, but I love you for your input) posted about how they would drink a lot of water before a game and end up not drinking much at all during the game. That comment just turned on a light bulb for me and made me rethink how I was doing things.

Where I'm going with this is that in the past I would kill off a bottle of water on the bench (and sometimes near the end I'd have to ration myself so I'd have enough to finish the game) and then another in the locker room after the game, and I would be totally gassed. Now that I've got the whole hydrating before the game figured out, I discovered some things. One is that I can get through a game and still have water left over. Another is that during the game I actually have more energy, to the point where I can be vocal on the ice, which I never used to do. I'm also not nearly as gassed at the end of a game either. I suppose there's a chance some of this could be chalked up to improving fitness levels, but I think it's more likely just the result of being properly hydrated.

Science! :science:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep, hydrating 24hr+ before and drinking 97% of your water during that time is the ticket. I hardly drink any water during the actual game. But life as a whole is better when you're properly hydrated. You'll sleep better, have more energy, better immune system, digestion, less headaches, etc. Water rules. Drink a ton of it.

And seconding the 5-7 skater fun. We had a 1pm PST game before the superbowl. Had 6 skaters come out. Other team had 13. Asked them during the opening faceoff if they just hated football or something. Said they were Raiders fans mostly so I told em that at least they wouldn't have to worry about having league games during the super bowl for a while.

We played em surprising close, lost 5-3, but drat those 8-10min shifts are killer.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
We had 4 skaters for our 2 hour clinic/pickup last night due to the snow & power outages in the area. We ended up doing drills the whole time. I never want to hear 'mexican hat time' again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're not pissing clear, drink more. :v:

I chug water on the bench only because ice cold water when I'm working hard is the best taste in the world. I'll put my squirty bottle in the freezer 2 hours before I leave for the rink just so there's a little bit of ice in it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Woke up, every muscle in my body aches. It doesn't help that I couldn't skate all last week between games. I definitely don't hurt as much when I get to practice during the week, for obvious reasons.

Strategy related note - does anyone have some advice for a forecheck where it's just kinda me on the two Ds? Do you play the man or the pass? I have found what I try to do - staying in front of the guy trying to swipe at any pass near me, only gets the pass forced to the other D. Sometimes very wide on my other side.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I bring a gallon of water to the bench. Normally I drink 2+ gallons a day outside of hockey. Clear piss is all I know.

Two or three beers before the game, half a gallon of water during the game.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Apparently my game last night was at 6pm and not the 10:30pm it said on the website when I checked that morning. Only found out at like 7:45 when I went back to the site and saw the game sheet updated already. I was probably going to stay home anyways due to lingering lung issues from my cold, but I wanted to be the one making the decision :colbert:

Stupid website.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Strategy related note - does anyone have some advice for a forecheck where it's just kinda me on the two Ds? Do you play the man or the pass? I have found what I try to do - staying in front of the guy trying to swipe at any pass near me, only gets the pass forced to the other D. Sometimes very wide on my other side.

There's not much you can do.. you'll almost always lose when outnumbered. Your main job as the forechecker in that situation is to pressure them into making a move. If you can intercept the pass, that's just gravy.

Balance only changes when you're a significantly better skater than the other guy.. in which case you can be super aggressive and forcibly take the puck.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Finally got rid of my S19 helmet. Glorious loving day! The Easton E600 fits like a dream.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

JetsGuy posted:

Go hard at the guy with the puck and make yourself big with an *active stick*, if he makes a nice outlet pass then its fine because it should be at worst 4v4 for your teammates to pick up. At best he coughs up the puck to you or flubs the outlet pass and one of your teammates can make a play or at least gain possession.

If you sit back and try to play the lanes hes more likely to make a good outlet because hes not under pressure. Your job isn't so much to make a play every time, its to make it hard for him to make a play every time. Its the exact opposite of playing 2v1 on defense because you have almost no risk since they're 175 feet away from your goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm going to be playing outdoor ice pickup at University of Chicago tonight, the ice is usually pretty bad but I haven't had time to play hockey a lot lately so I'm excited. Just hoping goalies show up.

Only problem is that its a little warm outside (34º currently) so hopefully it cools down by ice time.