Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

ChairMaster posted:

I used poor wording, everyone is connected to the ether. Blinker stones are for stupid people who aren't familiar enough with it. I shoulda said they chose from people who have or are expected to have supernatural abilities, Smitty's orderliness, Annie and Parley both coming from parents with plenty of that.

Interesting. I went back and read over chapter 21 where Anja teaches Annie more about her blinker stone and she pretty neatly steps around Annie's questions about whether she is a magician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She's just more in tune with the ether than most people, but not as much as some. Annie's descended from an ethereal being, she has an easy time using blinker stones and all that,but probably can't do that sort of thing without the assistance of one, like the forest people and probably Annie and Surma. Donny can't use blinker stones at all because he's 100% scientist and not much in tune with the ether. Kat could never use a blinker stone, I bet Annie's father couldn't either.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Annie is pretty unpredictable and gets into trouble.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I bet I could use a blinker stone!!!!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChairMaster posted:

Kat could never use a blinker stone, I bet Annie's father couldn't either.

I wouldn't bet on Anthony not being a crazy ethermage. Not when he projects bone knives from a microsat in order to do something to his daughter.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

Cat Mattress posted:

I wouldn't bet on Anthony not being a crazy ethermage. Not when he projects bone knives from a microsat in order to do something to his daughter.

Donny also tried tracing his call with Anja's computer after the normal one failed and also had no luck. Although Anthony's main thing is being a medical doctor, I guess?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I can't help but wonder if Smitty wasn't chosen deliberately to see if his powers would affect Coyote. If they do, that would be a pretty massive advantage for the Court. If they don't, he's still a level headed guy who will do what he's told. Annie tends to fly off the handle more. :v:

I would hope that between her most recent time in the forest and conversations with Eglamore and Jones that she's not going to fly off the handle, handling the situation with a little bit more maturity. However she's also, what, 14? So maybe not.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!
I don't think Coyote would have much trouble manipulating a tendency to create order and predictability to his advantage. If anything, it would make things too easy and a little boring for him, since there would never be unexpected complications.

Both his power and his personality tend to make things straightforward, which the court wants. And his power might be useful applied to Ysengrin's instability (or at least get him out of dodge).

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 11, 2013

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Hodgepodge posted:

And his power might be useful applied to Ysengrin's instability (or at least get him out of dodge).

I don't know why everyone says that? His power is not some reality altering force that rigs things to go smoothly for Smitty, it creates order where there is none. If Ysengrin want a nip of him, I don't see how that will help. Nor how it's suppposed to cure Ysengrin's instability.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Iceclaw posted:

I don't know why everyone says that? His power is not some reality altering force that rigs things to go smoothly for Smitty, it creates order where there is none. If Ysengrin want a nip of him, I don't see how that will help. Nor how it's suppposed to cure Ysengrin's instability.

If order between the Forest and the Court is mantained thanks to the existance of a Medium, then Smitty involuntarily changed the Headmaster's decision. :v:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, guess Jones' statement was in fact about the medium position. The headmaster just didn't care.

Tom posted:

Who said your opinion mattered, Jones?

Edit: Hell, even Smitty isn't happy with this turn of events. The only person not reacting with abject shock is Jones, and I'm pretty sure that's just because she is incapable of expressing, well, anything.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 11, 2013

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Oh no, she's going to cry. :smith:

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Awww, Annie's face. :(

I'm kind of terrified of the Headmaster.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Oh man, Smitty is totally not fine with this situation. So does this mean that the court won't allow Annie to go to the Forest anymore?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Furthermore Antimony smells like a pile of garbage and her butt is big.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Aww, don't cry Annie. :(

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Also 'the Court', as he says, doesn't seem all that down with the decision.

I hope his furthermore isn't about chastising Annie for her kinda bad behaviour.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
I wonder if the Headmaster is about to say, "Furthermore, we'd like an explanation from Coyote as to why Ysengrin attempted to kill Antimony during her last invited visit to the forest." Prompting a snarling "Lies, this never happened!" from Ysengrin, Annie admitting it did, and Ysengrin assuming she's betraying him for some reason.

But mostly I'm wondering if Coyote is actually, truly surprised here, or just bluffing as usual.

Either way, glad to see the Headmaster playing a more major role. I've been waiting for his bored, stern self to do some more ever since he's been introduced.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I hope after this is over Annie will be able to realize that she clearly was the best objective candidate for it. The headmaster is just up to something that is probably sinister!

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Fragrag posted:

Oh man, Smitty is totally not fine with this situation. So does this mean that the court won't allow Annie to go to the Forest anymore?

I'd be more worried that they may make her stay in the Forest.

And finally we don't have to hear more ridiculous theories from people who don't understand what a joke is.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Oh no Annie :ohdear:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I mean, if Jones says Annie was the best candidate, I'm inclined to believe it. You've gotta wonder what angle's being played here. He doesn't say that Smits was the right choice or best choice (for the role itself), just that they chose him.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
:ohdear: Annie cared about the position more than I expected. I wonder if she wanted to connect with her mother by continuing her job.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Really now, the person who goes out and is buddy buddy with your enemy and actively distrusts you is probably not the best choice for a impartial medium.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Coyote wants to be an avatar. He's clearly baiting it. Just look at that loving face.

e: if you want this as an avatar, look a few posts down first because I made a new one that's way better.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 11, 2013

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

Fblthp had always hated crowds.

Looks like Annie is about to get a verbal smackdown. :ohdear:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Both Jones and That Guy did recently warn her she was pushing things a bit. Though I wonder how much of "the Court" is committee vs individual -- we haven't really seen much about how this organization operates.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Coyote wants to be an avatar. He's clearly baiting it. Just look at that loving face.

He seems to be enjoying himself, contrary to what the thread speculated. Trickster gods are tricky, after all.

And yeah, next comes the part where Annie has to live down the result of her previous actions. She has a few detentions waiting, if you'll remember. Though I suspect it's going to be a bit more harsh than that.

Quinton posted:

Both Jones and That Guy did recently warn her she was pushing things a bit. Though I wonder how much of "the Court" is committee vs individual -- we haven't really seen much about how this organization operates.

This is true. If Annie were to be forbidden from entering the forest, it would be a very good way for her to have to explore more of the Court and find out more of the way it operates. If I were Tom, that's the way I would go from here.

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 11, 2013

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I wonder if he is going to try and prevent their investigation in Jean.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Sounds like the Court is run by a bunch of jerks. :mad:

I wonder if Smitty can just decline.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Aww, poo poo, that Annie face. This chapter is going to bad places.

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Really now, the person who goes out and is buddy buddy with your enemy and actively distrusts you is probably not the best choice for a impartial medium.

She is when the only alternatives are Parley and Smitty. Don't get me wrong, I love Parley and Smitty, but neither of them really has much of a diplomatic touch.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

e: turns out I like this a lot so I'm taking it.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 13, 2013

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

The Sin of Onan posted:

Aww, poo poo, that Annie face. This chapter is going to bad places.

Well it is called "Changes". :colbert:

Edit: ^^^that's amazing, Moonwalk!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Coyotest face.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Annie's getting expelled oh no.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The saddest face!

Wheres the robot king when you need him.

Doubt Coyote is going to put up with this though, and expelling Annie will just lead her to going to the Forest more often, and quite possibly becoming a pawn for Coyote, after all, she has adults in the Court who care for her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow, I'm surprised that Anja and Donny and Jimmy-Jims are surprised.

And now I'm curious about the power structure of the adult court.

(Also I'm scared of the 'furthermore'. :ohdear:)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Meowjesty posted:

Sounds like the Court is run by a bunch of jerks. :mad:

I wonder if Smitty can just decline.

I thought he might, but then how would he justify his candidacy in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
I'd guess the headmaster and whoever else is involved in the decision might be thinking that Annie is getting too close to the forest. Plus, Smitty's weird order power might be beneficial to them in compensating for Coyote's chaotic nature.

I honestly wonder why at no point has Ysengrin's attack had a visible effect on Annie. I would have thought she'd be a bit freaked out about the whole thing after nearly getting killed.