Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, Danger is a loving badass song and it works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So can someone give me the lowdown on the Kalpas in Nocturne? As I understand it they're only stuff necessary if you want the bonus/True Ending, right? Will I be missing out on anything other than that ending if I don't touch them?

Also, if I want to see all the endings, I gather this doesn't quite have the 'alignment based on dialog choices' that I know from Strange Journey, does it? Without spoiling anything, how would I manage seeing multiple endings?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You should totally explore the Kalpas regardless of what ending you want since you can get some really useful stuff out of it. You're only locked into the bonus ending if you manage to complete the whole thing, which won't happen until near the end of the game anyway considering how the dungeon is gated.

I'm sure someone who remembers all the specifics will fill in more details.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cleretic posted:

So can someone give me the lowdown on the Kalpas in Nocturne? As I understand it they're only stuff necessary if you want the bonus/True Ending, right? Will I be missing out on anything other than that ending if I don't touch them?

Also, if I want to see all the endings, I gather this doesn't quite have the 'alignment based on dialog choices' that I know from Strange Journey, does it? Without spoiling anything, how would I manage seeing multiple endings?

Four demons you can only get by going through there, the best area to farm for money in the entire game, some incredible loot, and a number of (pretty pricey) demons with very useful skills you can buy from salesman scattered around the place.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Pretty much all the demons you can buy from the Kalpa dealers are worth their value, except for one that is the most amazing deal ever because it has every utility skill in the game, ie Estoma, Liftoma, etc. Just do the Kalpas and the Fiends normally until you hit the point of no return, which the game will even tell you about IIRC.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cleretic posted:

It does have dialog-based alignment. Without spoiling, there are various characters that will present their philosophy to you. Agreeing with them gives you points towards their endings. At a certain point, you will be asked to do something for them. Doing this will open their ending up, and then before the final dungeon, the game will pick one based on what endings are available and how often you agreed with their philosophies. One ending is only available if you refuse to pick any sides, and another doesn't have a particular event associated with it- you have to turn down the others in order to get it and agree with the philosophy its associated character presents. You'd have to do multiple playthroughs in order to see multiple endings, but if you keep a save before the unlocking events, then you can make it easier.

I hope this helps.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It is worth noting that all of the philosophies are presented unto you by crazy assholes and there is nothing wrong with the picking the path of punching everyone in the face instead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nate RFB posted:

It is worth noting that all of the philosophies are presented unto you by crazy assholes and there is nothing wrong with the picking the path of punching everyone in the face instead.

This is Megaten, I wouldn't expect anything else.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Any suggestions about which Devil Survivor endings are worth doing? I've done Atsuro and Gin/Haru but the idea of one-shotting my way through nearly all of these fights four more times kind of makes me feel ill. I don't feel like I can skip anything though because I don't know what all of the route triggers are and if I don't level up my group leaders I'll get flattened on the last day even with lvl 70 demons.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 11, 2013

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Are you implying that Hikawa is a crazy rear end in a top hat? Crazy BADASS, maybe.

E: as for the Devil Survivor ending thing, Naoya's route is all you need.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
:suicide:

So I just beat P3. Still need to play The Answer, but it was the first jRPG I've played since, well, probably ten years ago.

I initially gave up on the genre after it switched from quirky Japanese storytelling, interesting plots/characters, and good combat to grind and belts/tits. Never really gave it a look since then. When P4 was released I heard it was good, but I kind of just ignored it as "another lovely grindy japanese game, and a school sim, I don't want to play a school sim!" Eventually watched the GB Endurance Run, and thought it seemed neat enough. Decided after I got my PS2 emu set up that it would be worth it to at least TRY P4, and turned out a buddy had both FES/P4 lying around, so I just borrowed them. Initially figured that would be it, as the rest of the series looked terrible.

Now I'm waiting for my copies of DDS 1/2, Nocturne, and Strange Journey to get here so I can start them up. I'm eyeballing Devil Survivor 1 Overclocked for my new 3DS, although my buddy has both 1/2, Strange Journey, and a DS lying around he wants to borrow me so I can play them. I got lucky and found a copy of Radiou 1/2 at a local game store, and managed to pick up both of those for under $20. And I'm seriously thinking of keeping my 3DS that I bought specifically for Awakening with the plans to resell after I beat it so I can play SMT4.

Got a few questions though. What exactly does Overclocked add storywise? Is it just the 8th day, or do they add in more interactions between characters? What exactly is on the 8th day? Secondly, I've heard DDS2 is nearly unplayable unless you use a specific party. Anyone want to fill me in on that, or is it super spoilery.

e: Since I've already apparently sold my soul for the next year to play all the SMT games, I might as well ask if there is any similar jrpgs I missed? As I said, my last jrpg was X-2 right as they started switching to tits and belts being the most important things, with grind being the second. I'll be honest and say I didn't really play much outside of FF before that though, so I probably missed some classics prior to that even.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rookersh posted:

So I just beat P3. Still need to play The Answer, but it was the first jRPG I've played since, well, probably ten years ago.

This is a bad idea. The story is bad and the gameplay is compromised for the sake of making it incredibly hard.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rookersh posted:

I initially gave up on the genre after it switched from quirky Japanese storytelling, interesting plots/characters, and good combat to grind and belts/tits. Never really gave it a look since then. When P4 was released I heard it was good, but I kind of just ignored it as "another lovely grindy japanese game, and a school sim, I don't want to play a school sim!" Eventually watched the GB Endurance Run, and thought it seemed neat enough. Decided after I got my PS2 emu set up that it would be worth it to at least TRY P4, and turned out a buddy had both FES/P4 lying around, so I just borrowed them. Initially figured that would be it, as the rest of the series looked terrible.

Now I'm waiting for my copies of DDS 1/2, Nocturne, and Strange Journey to get here so I can start them up. I'm eyeballing Devil Survivor 1 Overclocked for my new 3DS, although my buddy has both 1/2, Strange Journey, and a DS lying around he wants to borrow me so I can play them. I got lucky and found a copy of Radiou 1/2 at a local game store, and managed to pick up both of those for under $20. And I'm seriously thinking of keeping my 3DS that I bought specifically for Awakening with the plans to resell after I beat it so I can play SMT4.

Got a few questions though. What exactly does Overclocked add storywise? Is it just the 8th day, or do they add in more interactions between characters? What exactly is on the 8th day? Secondly, I've heard DDS2 is nearly unplayable unless you use a specific party. Anyone want to fill me in on that, or is it super spoilery.

e: Since I've already apparently sold my soul for the next year to play all the SMT games, I might as well ask if there is any similar jrpgs I missed? As I said, my last jrpg was X-2 right as they started switching to tits and belts being the most important things, with grind being the second. I'll be honest and say I didn't really play much outside of FF before that though, so I probably missed some classics prior to that even.

It adds some more demons as well as some more skills (which allow for non magic characters to be useful at the end game which is nice) but I can't really recall any new character interactions on the base game.

The 8th day is basically closure for specific endings and is about a good hour or two of extra content per ending (Although not all endings have an 8th day)

As for the DDS2 thing, it's simply because you will be unable to use certain party members as the game progresses so if you used them, you'll be sort of hosed and have to grind up other people, and then if THAT party member vanishes you'll have to do the same thing again, and so forth. So most people always just suggest using (spoilered if you don't want to know)Cielo and Gale Since they don't leave at any point.

EDIT: I don't really agree that the story of The Answer is completely bad (although it definitely has some stuff that didn't need to exist *coughcough*Metis*coughcough*) but unless you like grinding I recommend just watching the story parts on youtube to save yourself the trouble.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 11, 2013

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

tooooooo bad posted:

Any suggestions about which Devil Survivor endings are worth doing? I've done Atsuro and Gin/Haru but the idea of one-shotting my way through nearly all of these fights four more times kind of makes me feel ill. I don't feel like I can skip anything though because I don't know what all of the route triggers are and if I don't level up my group leaders I'll get flattened on the last day even with lvl 70 demons.

Devil Survivor is one of the very few games where each ending has something unique to it worth seeing. Except Kaido's, which is literally a copy paste of Naoya's ending.

Even Yuzu's ending is worth seeing for how the game calls you out on fleeing your responsibility.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nate RFB posted:

If you want to see the most of what any given Megaten game has to offer, the Neutral path is often the best choice, since you wind up having to kill everyone.

Fun fun fun!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

This is a bad idea. The story is bad and the gameplay is compromised for the sake of making it incredibly hard.

I'm not going to say it's great or anything, but I thought the answer was worth playing through.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For me, the story is too thin to justify what you have to go through to get it. I also hate one particular plot development (everybody fight each other!) that's contrived as all hell. Really, the only things I like about The Answer are Darkness and Heartful Cry.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

When I started The Answer I was hoping it was going to be groundhog day pretty much. The idea of having to do the same day over and over again in the world and then fight in dungeons at night was interesting. Too bad they didn't anything with that idea. I liked Yukari's childish freak out, though.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
p4g question, I got to Marie's dungeon and the only link I haven't maxed is Hermit, which is at 9. Am I forced to revert to an older save file or can I still get my max link on? Also is it possible to max this link after 12/7? I didn't get the bug net and don't have the bait for the quest so I think I'm kind of hosed, help :(

vanov fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 12, 2013

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

vanov posted:

p4g question, I got to Marie's dungeon and the only link I haven't maxed is Hermit, which is at 9. Am I forced to revert to an older save file or can I still get my max link on? Also is it possible to max this link after 12/7? I didn't get the bug net and don't have the bait for the quest so I think I'm kind of hosed, help :(

It's too late for the Fox link, you'll need to revert to an older save. Yes, you can max the link during the Winter. You can get a bunch of bugs at night instead of gardening for bait.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Assuming you haven't caught anything at all, you'll need at least two days to catch a Guardian and Sea Guardian, and then another two days to visit the shrine twice to max the link. Hopefully you've unlocked the beach itself, otherwise that's another two days of riding your bike. To get the bait in the first place you'll have to be lucky enough to catch an Inaba Jewel Beetle and a Genji Beetle digging up your garden at night which I don't think you can do unless you talk to the old man about the bait (however, if you've been following the shopping network, it's possible you could have purchased these bugs). And even then, if I remember correctly, the Guardians are a lot harder (but not impossible?) to catch on non-rainy days of which there are none in winter.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 12, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

Honestly, just do Naoya's or Kaido's and then bail, the rest aren't anything to really write home about. Theirs isn't super incredible either but it does feel kind of cathartic. Also yeah, seconding how stupid it is that they got split up into two different endings when they're basically word-for-word the same.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
So another sort of 'paranoid newbie' question for Nocturne, how do people suggest building the Demi-Fiend? Right now for me he's kind of got a bit of everything, but not in a really focused way. I'm a little daunted by the idea of not being able to re-get a spell if I don't learn it/overwrite it, so I'd like some suggestions. This isn't my first time around the Megaten rodeo, but normally ther eisn't a way I feel like I could completely gently caress myself, so I'm being a bit cautious.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Physical if you're going True Demon Ending, go whatever you want otherwise.

Lunge, and Focus are basically mandatory for a phys build, since the damage stays relevant until the end game.

Make sure you have Fog Breath no matter what build you're going though, it's just too good.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Physical if you're going True Demon Ending, go whatever you want otherwise.

Lunge, and Focus are basically mandatory for a phys build, since the damage stays relevant until the end game.

Make sure you have Fog Breath no matter what build you're going though, it's just too good.

Okay, I've ditched both Lunge and Focus, so I guess I'm not gonna be going physical.

Let's go... Balls-to-the-wall magical power. That's always fun... hmm, but my demons are kinda supposed to help me with that poo poo too, maybe just focus on one element... Damnit this is hard, there's too much choice.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 12, 2013

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven
I thought the Answer is pretty cool in concept, if perhaps lacking in execution. Characters getting hit with the fallout of their heroic adventures and having to deal with it in their own way has brought us excellent stories like Planescape Torment and KOTOR 2. The concept of beating up a monster literally made up of the P3 crew's regrets is awesome regardless of any presentation mishaps.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

Okay, I've ditched both Lunge and Focus, so I guess I'm not gonna be going physical.

Focus isn't REQUIRED for a Physical build but it's really helpful.

There are other good Physical skills you get later, but not for a while. Divine Shot is your first single target Physical skill that works as a replacement for Lunge (better damage and accuracy), but you probably won't get that until halfway through the game.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

jonjonaug posted:

Focus isn't REQUIRED for a Physical build but it's really helpful.

There are other good Physical skills you get later, but not for a while. Divine Shot is your first single target Physical skill that works as a replacement for Lunge (better damage and accuracy), but you probably won't get that until halfway through the game.

As long as he doesn't skip Pierce, he should be fine, right?

edit: thanks guys for the replies, looks like it's time to save scum a Guardian!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Fightest posted:

I thought the Answer is pretty cool in concept, if perhaps lacking in execution. Characters getting hit with the fallout of their heroic adventures and having to deal with it in their own way has brought us excellent stories like Planescape Torment and KOTOR 2. The concept of beating up a monster literally made up of the P3 crew's regrets is awesome regardless of any presentation mishaps.

Agreed. While the rest of the plot is a bit lackluster, I found the very beginning to nail that feeling of sorrow and "what's next?" just so well. The tournament arc, on the other hand is a good idea on paper that get a bit shafted in execution. I expected some kind of huge brawl in the lobby, and maybe a frantic race in a last dungeon with your other party members running as random encounters instead of shadows, ambushing and hunting you down. Instead you get a neat little colosseum, with deus ex machina mechanism that removes the whole "hurting your mates" dimension, because, hey, they'll be fine.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Devil Survivor: got to the big route choice with Amane, Naoya, and Yuzu available. :toot: Hard-saved there and I'm going to try and get through each with just suspend saves, which shouldn't be too bad unless one of them throws a real messed-up curveball my way. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone happen to have any Demifiend wallpapers that work good on an ipod 4th gen?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Devil Survivor: got to the big route choice with Amane, Naoya, and Yuzu available. :toot: Hard-saved there and I'm going to try and get through each with just suspend saves, which shouldn't be too bad unless one of them throws a real messed-up curveball my way. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I suggest doing Naoya's route first, so that if you get bored later on you can rest easy, knowing that you've already gotten the only ending that matters anyway.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Dorroile posted:

I suggest doing Naoya's route first, so that if you get bored later on you can rest easy, knowing that you've already gotten the only ending that matters anyway.

What no. Naoya is kinda a spiteful brat. Atsubro all the way

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Or Gin's ending, for double the bro.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Those endings have less content and thus are the worst. :smuggo:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Have any of you played the older Megami Tenseis and offshoots? Which MT related games for the Game Boy or Game Boy Color are best, if I only was buying a couple? Japan only is okay.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ACID POLICE posted:

Have any of you played the older Megami Tenseis and offshoots? Which MT related games for the Game Boy or Game Boy Color are best, if I only was buying a couple? Japan only is okay.

"Best" being an extremely relative term, Devil Children: White Book is probably your best bet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

And by that, he means that all of those games are pretty much garbage. If you really feel like you have to know for yourself, try Devil Children, but it's not really worth your time.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Arbitrary Coin posted:

What no. Naoya is kinda a spiteful brat. Atsubro all the way

Naoya is a complete cool bro with some great plans, and his ending is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Naoya is a petty, spitefull jackass and he has an ugly jacket.